AbeBooks Reviews

of reviewers recommend AbeBooks

Tell us how AbeBooks made you happy
AVOID! As others have warned, AbeBooks is a disreputable website. The seller sends you a damaged book or wrong item? Oh, well. They will not refund return shipping for items that are incorrect or damaged. They will stonewall every attempt to make them honor their return policy. There are better options to use.
BUYER BEWARE!!! Like everyone else I wasted time & money by purchasing from Abe Books/Irish Bookseller. What they sent me wasn't even a book, it was more in line of a magazine. It's clear they make money by jacking up the price of shipping and then send a bogus product. I called my bank immediately to file a claim. It's a pathetic way to make a living this way Abe Books/Irish Booksellers.
They take your money, your are mailed a tracking with no actual tracking. The delivery is within 45 days therefore you will not get a refund because the time frame has lapsed with the American banking system.Total scam
This is a review for Irish Booksellers who sell through Abebooks, not Abebooks itself (which is generally excellent). Beware! Do not buy from these crooks! Fraudulently sell old books as new - among many scams. Purchased book through Abebooks sold as 'new', but received filthy battered copy. Seller kept promising partial refund that never materialised - as a way to spin-out process until Abe closes case. Clear from multiple online reviews this is a standard practise from merchant (in addition to even worse tricks). If you have already bought before reading this, persist in reporting to Abe & keep demanding refund do not accept brush-off...hopefully Abebooks will eventually take decisive action & close down these thieving con-merchants.
I sent in a used book to sell for cash... I was quickly notified that my book was rejected due to water damage; however, there is not a single drop of water damage on the book I sent in. I understand that the corners are worn but again no water damage and for a used book it is in good condition. I do not know if this was a mistake by the company or this site is just a scam... very unhappy to of wasted my time
I read some reviews ‘after’ I purchased four books and assumed I’d never see the books . I got them eight days later and they’re in great condition.
Book didn't come, no refund. Far more worst than Amazon.com.
I actually quite liked AbeBooks. The book took 1-2 weeks longer than it was scheduled to arrive, but it arrived in really good condition and new just like the listing stated. The seller was called "Majestic Books", and they communicated with me well, when I asked them for the tracking details.
I ordered a book as a gift to friend. On checkout, I entered the friend's as the shipping address, and mine as the billing address. On my order confirmation email I received my friend's name/address was listed, but not mine. I am now on my 4th email to Customer Service to make sure I get billed for the book, and not my friend. All AbeBooks replies have either been form letters about procedures, not addressing my issue or else stupid claims that the individual bookseller is the one responsible for placing the mailing address on the bill, not AbeBooks whose name is the one on the letterhead of the bill they emailed me. I feel frustrated, but realize the bigger headache it would be to cancel the order. I am a collector of books and have purchased from AbeBooks and other booksellers frequently over the past 12 years. In my opinion, all online booksellers have been going downhill steadily in their customer service for at least the last 4 years. It is sad & disappointing.
I'm giving AbeBooks a one star because they are difficult to reach if you have a problem. I placed an order, chose expedited shipping, and it took the seller 4 days to actually ship the item. They created a label on day one, it was day 4 before they actually moved the package to USPS. I contacted the seller and Abe Books service asking for a refund on day 3, of which i was denied. I saw another reviewer on here blasting other reviewers for giving AbeBooks a bad review when sellers are the problem, but AbeBooks is the front company for all the sellers. It's like saying the boss is not responsible for those under their leadership. AbeBooks is responsible for their sellers and if they set stronger requirements , their sellers would hold to higher standards and they'd have better reviews. I buy a LOT of books and won't purchasing through Abe again.
Horrible listings, dread for way of dealing with customers
Wrong product delivered, and they said for Print on Demand reasons, they can not offer what was originally ordered and I will have to ship the book back in order to receive a refund. I lost money and time on shipping a book back, that wasn't what I ordered.
I ordered a book on November 19th for a Christmas present. The book never arrived despite a December 9th estimated delivery date. When I contacted the book seller, no tracking number was given despite being asked. Do NOT order from this site.
I ordered a book and picked PayPal as my payment format. I received an email from abebooks saying my purchase was confirmed. Next day I recieved email that PayPal did not pay. After thinking about my purchase I decided not to get the book after all. I sent email apologizing for confusion and asked to cancel my purchase. The email I recieved back was rude " next time make sure your payment will go through ". I replied there will never be a next time due to the rudeness of their tone. I would never recommend anyone using this company. Poor customer service.
No customer service whatsoever from abebooks - no support for customers. IRISH BOOKSELLERS rip off. I specifically emailed confirming a book order to which they replied yes- only then to send out the complete wrong book that was worth nothing next to what I actually purchased. They stopped returning my emails and then ABEBOOKS WOULD NOT SETTLE THE DISPUTE even after I spent more money to return the incorrect book. Booksellers lied about receiving the return and abebooks refused to refund my money. LIARS AND THIEVES.
Received wrong book. Sent multiple emails, nut no answer from abebooks and no answer from the seller.
Abe Books is the WORST! Don't believe their listings as to where a book is coming from! Won't refund return postage EVEN IF it is their mistake or an incorrect listing! They may reply to emails, but then all email communication ceases and you will NEVER hear from them again, even if they say that they will refund you. BEWARE!
I bought a used book from Abe books for my criminal law class. I paid $73.00 for it. The book has a whole chapter missing from it, many orher missing pages, and writing and highlighting all over and all throughout the book! That’s a lot of money to pay for a piece of garbage that I can’t even use. I had to rent the book online in order to keep up in class. I think it’s disgusting that abe books would even allow such a book to be sold. I’m a little surprised to see a high rating on this site, as every other site abebooks has 1 or 2 stars. Please do yourself a favor and don’t by a book through this company, they clearly have no standards and do not look out for their customers. I also emailed the help center, no response of course! I wish you had an option to upload pictures, then you all could see this garbage!!
Delivered on time.Books in good condition.Simple ordering process.
Babes is a second hand online book company. They have a great range of books at fabulously low prices - often for only pence plus postage (postage is also very reasonable). On the odd occasion they haven't been able to fulfil the order, or it has gone astray, they sort things out as quickly as possible.
AbeBooks is rated 2.79 based on 68 reviews