Dunster House Ltd Reviews

Read Dunster House Ltd Reviews

marketing@dunsterhouse.co.uk

Dunster House, Elms Farm Industrial Estate, Bedford

Tell us how Dunster House Ltd made you happy
I strongly advise all reading this to AVOID this company AT ALL COSTS especially if you live on Merseyside/Wirral/Cheshire area. They are truly awful with the most unprofessional and obstructive delivery service I have ever encountered, with literally no insight at a senior level/management level of how bad their service really is. Tony, delivery manager in Liverpool, actually believes he is ‘excellent at his job’ – he is not being ironic! We only wished we had known this before paying approximately £2500 for a gazedo. Don’t worry, we got it back and cancelled the order as soon as we realised what a farcical outfit DH are. If you read this though, please warn all your friends and family about this company (especially if on Merseyside/Wirral/Cheshire) because if you review the hundreds of bad reviews and complaints on multiple websites there is a clear pattern in behaviour. DO NOT believe the so called positive reviews – it is well known that those satisfied will not go to the effort of finding a review website to post onto but this company supposedly has thousands of good reviews. I suspect DH are paying employees to post very brief positive reviews to reduce the relative percentage of negative reviews – they supposedly have nearly 13000 reviews which is vastly more than some massive companies such as B and Q which has circa 3000 reviews… it is very suspect. Our issue was the same as many others. We live on the Wirral. Ordered online, paid in full and then told of a delivery date – all good so far. We started to get concerned when my wife was told the delivery was ‘kerbside’ over the phone – we had never heard something like this for big items (wood beams etc) and based on our property this would have been a nightmare especially as I was/am recovering post major abdominal surgery. We had hoped the company would place the items into our garage (which is less than 10 metres from the kerb) but we were told this was not in their ‘terms and conditions’. We explained our situation but it was clear they did not care – we even offered to pay more to place in the garage but the company did not listen. However, we visited the DH website and found this: “Please note that goods will be delivered to the first point of contact at the front of your property e.g. on your driveway. This must be within 20m from the delivery vehicle (Safely Parked at Kerbside). Our team will be responsible for assessing the risk of carrying out an assisted delivery upon arrival at the property. If they feel that there is no clear access as stated above, they will have to leave the items at the kerbside” (https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/delivery-1) We read this out to the company and they then said they would place on the driveway as per above. We were still concerned however. The day of delivery arrived and my mother in law (nearly 80) was with myself (recovering from surgery) and my 3-year-old daughter. We knew already that DH would refuse to place in the garage (meaning we would later have to struggle to place the gazebo into the garage) but on arrival we double checked as when people see our property the garage door is literally 7-8 metres from the kerbside. My mother in law answered the door and asked them. The two delivery men were extremely dismissive and told her that they would not place in the garage as it was in the terms and conditions that they did not do this which we accepted. However, they said would only place the delivery next to our bins (a 8-9 metre walk from the lorry) but would not even place outside the garage door, which still would have met their terms and conditions and given the inconvenience of them just placing on the floor on the driveway rather than the garage, and we could have struggled a bit easier to place into the garage later in the day. This is despite the distance to the bins being the same/less distance from the delivery lorry as the distance from the lorry to outside the garage (yes we measured it after this debacle) – in short we were not asking them to walk or move any extra distance. They, in short, were choosing to make life more difficult for the customer despite being informed of my circumstances. Hearing my mother in law calling me from the front door, and her saying they were not listening to her and simply dumping the delivery where it was convenient to them, I looked out of the window to see the delivery men literally throwing the gazebo on the concrete driveway (rather than placing) next to the bins. At this point I went outside to speak to the drivers and explained I was post surgery and we had hoped they would place the delivery in the garage (which they said was not in their terms and conditions), which I said that was not particularly helpful to consumers such as me recovering from surgery but they could place it next to the garage door and it would be no further to walk to move things. I also asked them to please not to throw things on the floor. The response from the 2 delivery drivers was rude, intimating and very unhelpful stating that they either put the delivery ‘where they wanted to’ or they took it way again. I explained that I was not asking them to do anything extra but merely place the delivery in a spot whereby we would not struggle to put the delivery in the garage ourselves later in the day. The tone returned was very unhelpful and rude again from the drivers, essentially saying they would not change what they had started doing (with only a handful of items at that point) and that it ‘wasn’t their problem’ and they were going to instead pack up the delivery and take it away. This all happened very quickly (their decision to not deliver the gazebo) – it was very clear they had been empowered to do what they want. These individuals, we the only DH we had met so essentially were the face of the company to us. I explained, increasingly exasperated (but not rude and not intimidating) that this was simply appalling customer service – they were not being asked to do anything outside of their terms and conditions, but simply listen to the customer and place the delivery next to the garage (not in it) for the reasons I have described. They simply would not listen and instead, loaded up the lorry whilst one of the delivery men called a man called Tony, who was his manager, to give a false narrative of the events (false narrative = made up version of events claiming they were, as 2 well built men intimidated by a single post surgery man, an 80 year old pensioner and a 3 year old child). I can assure you that being on the football terrace of any of the local Merseyside clubs at any given weekend is vastly more intimidating that anything that occurred on our driveway! In short it was nonsense. They seemed disinterested in their job and it was clear they had done this before – this was the most slick thing they did i.e. pretend they were victims and leave. Note – this meant they did not need to do a fraction of lifting off the lorry van – which they are paid for. If you look on this page and other review websites you can see the same scenario repeated and I have strong suspicions these same men are mentioned in a complaint where Tony, is clearly mentioned. It is an almost carbon copy event as this. As one of the men said ‘these are heavy and it is hot, I’ll put it down where I want otherwise you won’t get it’. Remember we had already paid in full. This was simply appalling, Our neighbour witnessed all this across the road and so did my mother in law and young daughter. My family and I were very intimidated and upset by the delivery drivers attitude and could not see any sense in their decisions other than they wanted to do what they felt was convenient to them but not to the customer. The delivery man (wearing a grey T shirt) attitude especially was that he was not bothered about poor customer service and did not care at all about how he represented (badly) the company or treatment of customers who were not asking for special treatment but just for common sense to prevail. Two men were abusing me verbally on my own property! I rang the head office immediately and spoke to Marcus (at DH) and asked to speak to a manager but was not put through. He did tell me to ring the dispatch manager at Liverpool HQ that I did after a delay – this was Tony, who had already been given a false narrative story by these delivery men. I spoke to Tony and explained how upset I was by the customer service, that I heard the false narrative given by the driver to him and how I was concerned, that all we wanted was for our paid for goods to be delivered (which they have not been) and placed in a common sense position which would not have involved any extra work to the drivers unloading. I explained to Tony how appalled I was by Dunster House employees and how this represented their company and customer care and if required I would easily and happily inform local press and media about how the company operates. Tony did not apologise for our experience or concerns and actively defended the delivery men saying he would launch a ‘thorough investigation’ which he stated would feedback back to me ASAP when I explained I was so appalled that I was strongly considering cancelling the order – I had paid £2500 and only received grief and appalling customer service. I was very concerned by his manner and could see his non-independent investigation would be shambolic as it turned out to be. I wrote a detailed complaint to DH customer service (you can’t speak to anyone about complaints from customer service which, I think this is deliberate to frustrate processes and people) and took photos (which I had taken at the time of delivery) and a video showing the layout proving how ridiculous the delivery men team had behaved in not placing outside the garage and demonstrating that essentially they had been deliberately obstructive. I rang DH again and they confirmed they had my email, the photos and video. I also rang Tony in Liverpool and he confirmed he had everything to do a ‘thorough investigation’ but he again did not fill me with confidence – when pressed he said he did not have the video which I strongly advised him to watch as placed everything into context. He said he would and that he would ring my wife and me back on the following afternoon to give the outcome of his ‘investigation’. I explained the outcome of the investigation would determine whether we cancelled the order or not given how poor the service had been so far which he noted. The following afternoon my wife was at home and Tony sent a voice message via text to my wife asking her to call back. We both rang him back so I had a witness to the conversation and recorded the conversation. He did not apologise initially but said he had done and investigation and immediately said he wanted to arrange another delivery date. I repeated that I wanted to know the outcome of his investigation (as he knew that this would determine whether we cancelled our order) and he said he would not reveal this and essentially it was dealt with but he was not prepared to discuss this with us. When pressed he admitted he had not bothered to watch the video so still did not the context of delivery and had simply googled our postcode and looked at the layout from that! It turned out that from his ‘investigation’ and googling (which does not show the up to date layout of the driveway) that he was still not prepared to put the items outside the garage door (for some inexplicable reason which the video would have demonstrated) but wanted to drop the items to the left of our driveway which I explained was a area of mud and soil currently! Tony then tried to tell me he knew my driveway better than me and that it wasn’t a soil/mud patch! The arrogance is shocking. He then explained then ‘his’ drivers (clearly not the CEOs Alex Murphy’s drivers, but Tony from Liverpool’s drivers) would drop off the items to next to the bins – the place that was the original bone of contention. At this point my wife and I decided unanimously we were dealing with untrustworthy and arrogant individuals and rang up DH and immediately cancelled the order. By chance Marcus (see earlier) answered the phone stating that he believed the customer care in this situation was shocking but that all the senior people at DH had my complaint and now could not say they were not aware of how their company was being represented. We received a full refund after a few days but not a single word of sorry from DH. This says everything you need to know about how they treat customers and are even prepared to lose £2500 worth of business as they cannot get delivery men or their managers to use their common sense or treat customers respectfully. If I was a director or CEO of DH and had lost £2500 of money because of the above not only would I have sacked the drivers, but Tony ‘I am excellent at my job’ would have been sacked too. I am detailing all of the above but have sent this to BBC Watchdog too. I hope they cover the story as fear many other people will continue to be treated this way by this company. It is so unnecessary too as people like us would have even paid a little extra to have the items placed in the garage for no real extra work off the delivery men – why don’t they offer this (at extra cost) to customers as it clearly is a recurrent issue (see complaints)? Why do they have such poor customer service and how have they empowered people like Tony and the drivers to think they are ‘excellent at their job’ when they directly lose the company thousands? Why empower people like Tony to supposedly do a ‘thorough investigation’ when clearly that is not the case – it was a sham and pointless? The mind boggles but I hope people read this and then avoid Dunster House (especially if you live in Merseyside/Wirral/Cheshire) as they simply do not deserve your custom – they will never receive ours again! We have bought a lovely gazebo elsewhere which the company delivered and assembled without any issue – and we happily paid the extra cost in order to ensure this.
Trading Standards Case: If you have had or are having a bad experience with Dunster House please read this message. I am putting together a case to take to Trading Standards and already have over a dozen customers details to accompany my issues. My experience: I've had an absolutely appalling experience with Dunster House. One of the worst aspects is that they will not engage in any customer service telephone calls; insisting instead that everything be done by email, however when it takes them 2 days to respond to an emailed issue then it causes significant problems for us, the customers. Some of the windows they delivered were not fixed in to the frames so when installing them, the window opener would simply fall out hitting whatever is beneath it, this caused a 3-week delay. Bathroom windows with delivered with clear glass instead of the ordered opaque, causing more delays. The bay window I ordered was 250mm (1/4 meter too small). Although I have sent videos and photographic proof of this they have now decided to completely ignore my communications. Front door was delivered without the ordered letterboxes, causing my elderly disabled customer even more delays. The inconvenience to my customers on loss of earnings to myself are huge. This is a fact that is just swept under the carpet by the autonomous response of the customer service. The sales teams are professional and are very efficient, then it just turns into an absolute disaster, a genuinely horrible experience. I will be spending the next 4-6 weeks; longer if needed, vigorously and proactively contacting every disgruntled customer who has registered a negative review to Dunster House in addition to opening a forum on the subject of 'Dunster House Issues', with a view to presenting a compelling case to Trading Standards. Please contact me if you have, or are having a bad experience. In many respects it's a distinct advantage that Dunster House have insisted that everything be put in black and white through an email, as we all have a collectively huge amount of damming information regarding the issues we have faced. Please contact me or look for the forum. Please also see the ' reviewcenter ' and also ' reviews io ' and please check out ' moneysavingexpert ' I wish I had been so warned. Would have saved me so much time, money and undue stress
Dunsterhouse dont like bad reviews and get trustapilot to remove them. To get the extend of the problems you need to look at the 'Review' website, this will show you the bad quality and the nastiness of their customer services. Dunsterhouse is a UK based company who are not registered with any safe for customers type insurance. The above shows what they are which is a group of sales people who only target is to accumulate money for their directors nowhere to be seen and to do so they will target you with sales calls until you make payment and this is when all changes. Dunsterhouse is led by a sales manager calling himself a national manager as it sounds better the director will not be interested so the only way, regardless of the severity, is to notify Citizen Advice Bureau and your bank straight away. Dunsterhouse qualifies as one of the worst on line store I had to deal with. You won't find any sign of integrity or morality there.
Only gave one star because no stars is not available. Poor quality timber, lots of very bent pieces of timber and the braces are way too short. Poor quality fixings, many sheared when tightening for the first time, some more during use, dunster advice was to check them yearly. They did offer to replace the broken ones with the same sub standard fixings. Customer service well below today’s already low standards, all I can put this down to is being sooo busy sorting out all the other problems.
I have never in my 81 years dealt with a worse company. My summer house bought several years ago and expensive is no longer fit for purpose, doors bent, hinges not strong enough to take their weight so falling inwards and won't close or lock. Window frames rotting as are the door frames. Customer service none existent and emails sent to you dismissive and rude. Internal wood twisting and gapping. A much cheaper small cabin bought 20 from a local supplier used as an office is almost as good as new. I would not recommend Dunster House to anyone. I have read reviews giving Dunster House 5 star rating for a product only recently installed. What I would say to them is remain vigilant. The troubles with the summerhouse appeared within the first two years of installation.
I have a vantage 250 summerhouse and I agree with the previous person mine leaks like a sieve as well. The summerhouse is extremely poor quality
Absolutely disgraceful Customer Service very quick and helpful before you've paid ......once they have your money be prepared for a nightmare wrong parts delivered and still haven't been told when they can deliver the correct ones. they're vaguely implying its not in stock, They simply are not interested in being helpful. I have paid nearly £5000 for a gazebo that is only half built, sodden with rain and unable to use so very very disappointed with them PLEASE DONT BUY FROM THEM
Awful sales and support !
Our vantage 250 summerhouse may look good but leaks like a sieve. Very, very disappointed. Everything about it is poor quality.
Customer services have absolutely no idea at all about their product and the fact that the suggestions they have for correction of issues are ridiculous. They say that it is normal for water to get through the lower door panel if silicone isn’t put on the outside lower section of the panel. I have asked why there are drain holes if water isn’t to get in? Why isn’t the panel sealed in place when constructed? Also we have leaks on the corners of the logs, sealant doesn’t stop this but they keep saying the same thing, seal it externally. Thick people that don’t understand timber as a construction material and clearly can’t think logically. Stay well away.
Set your expectations extremely, extremely,extremely low and you won’t be disappointed! Poor product and even worse service from this Mickey Mouse outfit....gotta give it to them though, probably making plenty of money!
Worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with and I haven't even bought anything yet! God knows what their after sales service is like. If you're looking for a cabin there are better sites out there with better customer service, better products and better prices. Avoid these guys and save yourself the stress.
We really enjoyed the purchasing process. The sales team were friendly and helpful. However the delivery side has been so poor, Tony, the local depot Manager at the Liverpool branch was terrible. The delivery team, a driver and two mates were without question the worst that I have ever had the misfortune to come across. The driver and his two assistants were totally Unhelpful and rude . They refused point blank to put the delivery where I needed it. I walked away from them as they were so belligerent and called Tony their Manager. He too showed zero empathy and just quoted “small print” rules. Fortunately a lady called Sarah from Dunsters HQ came to the rescue. After nearly an hour of heartache the driver and his two assistants were instructed to put the delivery exactly where I needed it. They decided to continue with their attitude and then also left a stack of rubbish for myself to clear away. When I called Tony I just got more small print quotes from him. His arrogance was quite shocking. He has been in the business for over 25 years he told me. When I was trying to give him constructive feedback he suggested I was a child! He said it was ok to quote him so I have. Shocking! This Company appear to be great at taking your money but when it comes to delivering, its a disgrace. Their delivery depot need to focus on delighting customers rather than upsetting them. if it were me I put them all on a customer service Program. This was all avoidable today. Rude and disinterested. A real shame!
Horrendous customer service. They couldn’t be nicer when selling the product. Pressured me into a deposit and said I didn’t have to pay full amount until 2 days before delivery, yet I received phone calls, emails and txt messages every single day since I paid the deposit harassing me to pay. Got my gazebo delivered today and they literally dropped in on my public path. My garden was meters away and their contract says they will deliver upto 20m away. The driver(John) was very very rude and unprofessional. I was lucky I was off work today otherwise my product would have been insecure. It was very awkward for them to drop the hundreds of parts for the gazebo on the path for me to them pick them up and move them a couple of meters. I was also assured (before I paid) that it would be delivered in my garden. Overall a terrible experience do not waste your hard earned cash on this company. Once they have your money they don’t care.
Customer service is terrible - not helpful at all - all I wanted was for them to deliver behind a gate off the front of my property (so that my ill wife doesn't have to carry anything or leave the items in the street for the day) - they were not willing to help at all. terrible to deal with and looking at other poor reviews not the first time either.
I spent a long time on line trying to purchase a shed. 2 times i got to payment stage having started from scratch each time and failed. Third time i managed to get into payment screen and it failed because the site tried to force me to change preferences to allow pop ups. Not needed to complete credit card transaction. Asked for help and told to purchase via phone. I declined and said i would try again later the person asked me to please pay and order by phone as he was under pressure for sales quotas. Why not be honest upfront and not offer online sales. Shady at best
I purchased a Dunster house 4 years ago and was delighted with it.I decided to purchase another one for a different part of the garden. ordering was easy and delivery was perfect. When we came to assemble it 2 windows were out of square .My husband is a carpenter and joiner by trade so I think he knows what he is talking about. Despite sending them photos .the so called customer service does not reply to our emails only with are you sure you have put the hinges on right. I am at the end of my patience now. I have never dealt with a worse customer service dept, CUSTOMER SERVICE WHAT SERVICE. our next course of action is to take it to court and claim the item is not fit for purpose. Hey guys who have had trouble with customer service JOKE!!! tell me how you got it resolved .
Very poor product,joinery skills and hardware are cheap . Mitres and other trims are cut short. Looks like this was a rush job . Customer service is also very poor . I wish I had never heard of Dunster house
This review will help people that want to buy make up their mind. We bought a corsair 350 in 2014. The delivery came, and we paid Dunster House extra to build the cabin. A few months later we noticed that the logs were disconnecting, part of the roof was coming apart, and one of the side panels was falling. After complaining, they decided to come back and put things right. The defects were amended, although the gutter always had a problem, and some of the logs did not match perfectly. At the time they let me sign a piece of paper that said on checking the work everything was ok. I signed in good faith although I am not an expert, so for me was good enough. Wrong. This year the logs are disconnected. They are the same logs of 2014 so I am aware of the fact that was not rectified properly in 2014 has contributed heavily to the fault. We have gaps of 2 cm across the all cabin. I have contacted the customer service team in the after-sale department. They told me this is not covered by the guarantee even though the cabin is covered for 10 years. We were also told that they do not offer the service of building the cabin anymore and I have an idea why. The after-sale service is actually pretty awful. You can only talk to them by email. I have asked them to phone to discuss the matter but they have refused. They have sent us some u tube videos to solve the problem. I have followed the u-tube videos to try to solve it. Up to now, it has not made a bit of difference but I was given a timeline. Once the timeline has expired and I have done everything possible if the problem is not solved, I will ask a carpenter to fix it and bill Dunster House. Please think carefully before buying from this company. Their cabins look fantastic on the brochure and they probably are if they are fixed properly, but our experience was awful and expensive from the start and once you buy you are on your own
Dunster House Ltd is rated 1.64 based on 88 reviews