Fortnum & Mason Reviews

of reviewers recommend Fortnum & Mason

Tell us how Fortnum & Mason made you happy
I god a bit worried last weekend when i visited this site having placed an order for a birthday hamper delivery 2 days ahead a long way from London. Anyway it all worked perfectly and my order was delivered at lunchtime on the date requested! Thank you F+M and Dpd for the fantastic service!
Finally spoke to customer services and were very apologetic
Over an item I received on dec 23 it did take awhile to get through
Email s do get answered eventually I will still order on line 😀😀😀
Customer service was really friendly and helpful
I have shoped at F&M for many years. Ive never looked at reviews until now....im really shocked at such poor customer service!!!!
I ordered a birthday gift ,paid for named day, when the 'receipt ' came through it had incorrect delivery address.
Immediately i telephoned customer services to rectify, spent around an hour sending screenshots and e mails, was assured all was now fine and correct address for delivery.
Today....named day...i receive a text from DPD saying 'sorry we missed you' and a photo of completely incorrect delivery address.
Im now told that the gift should arrive the day after the ladies birthday.....great!
My 'named day ' deliverywill be refunded. Good...as it should be.
Not impressed at all.
Not what one would expect from a high end retailer.
I ordered two egift cards from them. They delivered neither to the recipients (even though they promised they'd do so by Christmas).

Our attempts at emailing and calling them were met with silence.

They've still taken our money though, and neither gift has been delivered.

Our attempts at emailing and calling them were met with silence.

They've still taken our money though, and neither gift has been delivered.
Ordered Christmas hamper on the 28th of Nov with a delivery date to Dublin between 18th -23rd of Dec. Hamper not dispatched until the 18th of Dec. Email received on the 23rd of Dec stating hamper would be delivered late. Called to clarify waited for over an hour for call to be answered whilst listening to recording stating “nothing says Christmas like a Fortnum & Mason Hamper, order now to avoid disappointment” !!!! Reassured issue would be escalated however having chased every day via emails & telephone escalation team haven’t responded. I was informed “they are very busy” & delivery delay is due to Brexit!! Bizarrely deliveries from both Selfridges & Harvey Nicholls arrived on time. An incompetent company who clearly don’t care or value their customers. A Christmas hamper after Christmas is certainly not what I anticipated. Avoid disappointment & DON’T Order from them. A very disappointed disgruntled customer.
I have held an account with this company for many years. And I have to say I have never been disappointed.
This year I ordered only a few non perishable goods for Christmas gifts and got them delivered to my home so I could then dispatch to frinds.
I work in the transport industry and realised it would be difficult because of covid to get the normal service,
The network is delivering PPE, vaccines, covid tests and results. Etc, etc. That and the fact people are working from home, so don't have the same information as they were in a place of work.
It has been a difficult year for many, and I have to say if a delayed or cancelled Christmas present is your problem, you are very fortunate.
I ordered a Christmas hamper with a personal message for my wife, five of the twelve items were missing and the items that were in the hamper not arranged at all just thrown to the bottom of the hamper, the personalised message was eventually found under the address label, now I cannot contact anybody about my issues, fortnum and Mason had no problem in taking my £180!!!
Yet another one ........ do Fortnum and Mason not understand customer service? Hamper plus additional items ordered early October, paid named delivery Dec 23rd (because after all, its worth the cost to avoid any disappointment and for peace of mind). Dec 23rd @ 1.00am, receive email noting the 1 item I ordered was no longer available and I would receive a refund in a few days.

Other than that, no communications, no email with tracking information (as promised), no apologetic email, nothing. We all know what is happening at the moment, we know London was recently put into Tier 4, but communication costs nothing and can be done from home.

Quite honestly, I would prefer F&M not to deliver the hamper, cancel my order and give the contents to a local charity.

I ordered a hamper from Harrods last year that was delivered with no issues, guess where I will be shopping next year.
Had a delivery one item a game pie was awful no joy phoning sent emails
Hamper due 18th Dec received dispatch notice on 19th December by 21st December still no hamper! After 35 minute wait to customer services Informed would call me back with update. No call back just an email to say it won't be delivered. Another 30 min wait to be told no hampers left ... human error, sorry!! Will never recommend this company in fact will advise to avoid!!
For all the previous reviews complaining that they could not complete an order online as the website was poor think yourselves lucky. Today I received my Marylebone Hamper. This hamper costs £200 and 20 were bought for all staff, what a complete an utter disappointment. 10 years we have been ordering from F&M BUT NEVER AGAIN! I’m almost cross as this is normally a Christmas treat especially after the year 2020 has been!
Large order of Christmas food and presents ordered early dec and due to arrive on the 12th (which came and went with nothing heard). Two days later we contacted courier (dpd ) who confirmed parcel sent back to F&M because it was damaged. When we contacted F&M service they said that (with 10 days to go) they couldn’t get a replacement order to us before Christmas..... and couldn’t say when we’d get it afterwards. I cancelled order - disaster! No attempt to recompense us in any way. F&M failed to honour the order, v disappointed with their approach to customer service. Will not be ordering from them again any time soon. Has left us having to run around at the last minute.
I ordered a hamper on Sunday, 6th Dec I received a message yesterday, Tuesday, 8th Dec
to say it would arrive today between 12.39 -13.39.
True to their word my hamper arrived at 12.45.
Can’t fault the service, I ordered another “present” from a company in York, 10 miles from my home, it won’t arrive until Friday.
I did have some doubts after reading some of the reviews, I’m glad I decided to continue with my order, well done F&M.
Spent an hour and then some trying to order for Christmas through the F&M webshop. Unable to order a specific date slot, the webshop defaults to 7th Nov (which would be impossible, given international delivery and today being 7th Nov).
Would have spent closer to 1000e altogether but giving up now. We tried 2 different operating systems and 5 different browsers, the webshop did not work properly with any of them. Highly frustrating.
Had exactly the same problems with future delivery dates as other customers below. Website wouldn't let me process payment and took my money twice with wrong delivery address and dates. Customer service was good after a long telephone wait and was able to order over the phone and pay again but still yet to receive refund payment of over £240 on the orginal order after countless unanswered emails I am now having to try and ring again! My orders came the next day but fearful that I am not going to get my money back or my hampers with later delivery times won't be delivered.
Never got as far to ordering anything, the website is dreadful and seems totally incapable of processing anything to a conclusion. What a shame, I was looking forward to a nice Christmas hamper!
This is a long account, but a very cautionary tale about not ordering online with Fortnum and Mason, and about their atrocious customer service:

Their website is archaic and caused multiple problems for me on two different orders in September 2020.

The first online order contained two items which I understood would be delivered together. Paid extra to specify delivery date of Friday, September 18, as that was the day of the week the order recipient would be at home. The September 18 delivery date was confirmed on Fortnum’s website and the order was placed in early September. Follow up confirmation email from Fortnum to me then said the order would be delivered on Wednesday, September 16, which was not the specified delivery date I paid extra for. Fortnum also gave an incorrect billing address in their confirmation email.

I emailed customer service back immediately, and after 3 days they replied. They apologized and acknowledged that they’ve been having significant, ongoing website problems with many customer complaints. They said they would correct the billing address but now couldn’t correct the delivery date to Friday, September 18 as I had originally requested.

When the order was not delivered on Wednesday, September 16, I had to phone Fortnum long distance from Canada and was told that the employee who had said he would correct the billing address on the order had for some unknown reason put the order on hold. Many apologies from Fortnum and they said they would reactivate the order and get it delivered ASAP.

As of September 19, only 1 of the 2 items in that order has been delivered. Just got an email from yet another Fortnum employee, this time apologizing that the outstanding item in the order was damaged by their delivery company in London and can not be delivered. Now there will be a further delay in delivery while they replace and reship the item.

Sadly, this is not the end of this appalling saga:

On September 16, 2020, I got a general email from Fortnum urging customers to place their Christmas orders early this year, as there was tremendous demand for online ordering due to COVID-19 restrictions, etc.

Despite my bad experience with my previous Fortnum order, I decided to place a large online Christmas order with them, hoping that the problems with the earlier order were a one-off. Our daughter loves Fortnum products, lives in London, we live in Canada, and for the first time ever, we can not be with her at Christmas because of COVID travel restrictions.

One again, on the Fortnum website I paid extra for a specified delivery day of Friday, December 11 for the Christmas order. The website confirmed the delivery date and I placed the order.

Surprise, surprise, when the Christmas order confirmation email arrived from Fortnum on September 16, it indicated that the Christmas order would be delivered on Saturday, September 19, not Friday, December 11.

The next day I phoned Fortnum customer service right when they opened at 10 AM GMT (5 AM my time). The total call time was 41 minutes, including 7-8 minutes on hold before they picked up initially, and 10+ minutes on hold while they supposedly corrected the delivery date back to my originally requested Friday, December 11. During this very length, long-distance call at my expense, the Fortnum customer service lady also discovered that the gentleman who was supposed to have corrected the billing address problem on my first order in September had actually put that order on hold by mistake (see above). There were profuse apologies over the phone September 16 from the Fortnum’s lady about the website and other customer service problems with both orders and assurances that this would all be rectified and my Christmas order would be delivered December 11.

Early this morning, September 19, my daughter contacted me from London to thank me for the “surprise” delivery from Fortnum’s of a very early Christmas order!

What more can I say, other than that I will never ever order anything online or over the phone from Fortnum’s again. Thanks for reading this long diatribe!
US Customer-Tea order filled timely and delivered ahead of schedule! I have been to the store many times, but my annual business trip to London is off this year. My first international order and I am quite pleased. Regards Steve
Top notch customer service.
Fortnum & Mason is rated 2.79 based on 38 reviews