Hsbc Reviews

of reviewers recommend Hsbc
Telephone, Email, Live Chat

Tell us how Hsbc made you happy
We are a business customer and I so wish we weren't!
1) Their online banking service is archaic and has the functionality of a fridge.
2) Telephone banking is OK but lengthy - hence the 1 star!
3) But MOST annoying is the level of detailed PERSONAL info they need from you for 'SAFEGUARDING' your account ie. protecting it from fraud.
Do we look a day old?
We've been customers for 6 years - so if what they say is true, for the past 6 years we have been exposed to all sorts of potential fraud scams and goodness knows what!
The level of personal info they NEED could not possibly all be required to safeguard our account from fraud, but WOW what a great collection of insights they now have about us - we could have refused but they CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT DOWN if you DO!
If I had the time I would have changed banks, but with regret we have passed on everything and are now deeply suspicious of their motives and ethics.
I've now been on hold for over 2 hours this morning trying to get through to HSBC Fraud team. What a joke this bank is. Note to head office, employ more staff!!
Customer service is absolutely shocking. An appalling level of incompetence. Do not deal with this organisation!!

I spent 50 minutes reporting a scam. Afterwhich, I was advised that the payment could not be stopped, however, the money would be recovered & a fraud investigation undertaken.

3 weeks later no money has been credited & customer services have no record of the original conversation.

Just spent another 50 minutes on hold waiting for a transfer to the fraud dept.

Now advised that there is no record of the original conversation, despite calls being recorded for 'training purposes'.

Requested to speak to a manager, only to be put on hold again.

Now in the process of switching both personal & business accounts to another supplier due to the total incompetence of the staff within HSBC.
the worst bank I've ever met. They already have 10 months since they trying to open a business account. I applied to Lloyd's for business bank account and they opened it in 3 weeks 😃😃
I phoned today spoke to Adam as I am new customer and wanted advice about online banking he was great gave me all the details I required very polite courteous and patient these are the qualities you need being a OAP these mean a lot. Thanks Adam ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Not from Len from Chrissie
I had an account and after 3 years I was asked to reconfirm loads of information, some of which was quite complicated. They wrote to say my account was going to be closed if I didn’t fill it in so I was ok with that and it was closed. I still had money in the account and I spoke to several people on the phone after wasting my time of hold, they said I would receive a cheque for the remaining balance in my account. I have been chasing this many times and not received anything. I have just called again and been told I need to go into the branch to request it in a different way that sounded complicated. She then put me on hold and then cut off the phone. Beware!
Worst bank. It's mobile and online banking is so complicated that it is hard to use.
Rubbish prOcess trying to open company account
Since becoming a business owner and taking out a business loan with HSBC I’ve been left high and dry! I just CANNOT get to speak with someone from my bank face to face . They’ve got my loan and monthly repayments and want nothing more to do with me and didn’t even bother to tell my my bank manager had left and weren’t thinking of replacing him any time soon! I took time out of my business to go into branch to find this out , was promised his senior would ring to talk to me and guess what ........ they haven’t bothered !! I am sick of their appalling customer relations - actually there isn’t one !!
Ive opened bank acounts the world over...HSBC UK is without doubt the worst banking experience i have had ever.

'Safeguard' means they want you to send personally identifiable financial information via mail most of which is none of their business. If you dont comply they lock all of your accounts.

Despite having given the legally required information at least three times.

Meanwhile your credit cards all work yet paying them back within the app is all blocked so they can accumulate fees and interest.

Their app and online services are apalling.

Its time the regulator did something about this bucket shop.
Dear HSBC complaint department,

I am writing to you in regards to my account being under review. I had opened a new business account with HSBC to get foreign currency account service as we had done a joint venture with a german based company to invest in UK on properties. After a hard work we came to this agreement and were expecting a initial start up funds from germany. My client send me the confirmation of his swift transfer. I contacted the bank regarding thi fund i was expecting. Went to a branch and over the phone, but they said the money has not reached HSBC. I contacted my client and they send me a tracer copy which mentioned the money is with HSBC. So i decided to visit canada square branch and ask as that the address mentioned on tracer copy. The staff was helpful and started investigating with the help of tracer copy. After 30 mins of wait the staff came back and said the money is here, but the my account in with review department. I asked why is that and he was unable to answer. I said atleast i should be given some reason as to why its with review department. Then i asked how could i contact them as this is very important for my business and my client. But nothing. I am still trying to find the reason why and when my money be credited into my account as i have to reply to my partner as its his funds and he wants us to start the work. I would be very happy if i could get some information about this. Why no one has contacted me, or no one has given any intimation as to when this is done. How do you expect us to grow our business and pay our bills and survive without our business. And this is just the start of our business account. I was very happy with lyodds in this matter. Can someone help us? i doubt
I would advise not to waste your time. HSBC provide the WORST service for business and its not a joke almost a year later and still same issues and awful processes.

Save your self the hassle and stress especially if you have a family to run and a business and do many other things - HSBC will only be a stress for you!

I contact HSBC on the 11th of October about the sum of £84 come out my account never raise this as a complaint them to set me a complete resolution stating that it was closed and how we was resolutely but yet still I’m still waiting for my payment is done Michael they still say nothing I called they try to make it like it’s my fault but on the day one of the HSBC they’ve had their stuff gone into my account to take money out without my permission on my say so they’ve done told me to then avoid the case of fraud this then send me identification number where identification if it’s me who is making those transaction that did not happen at no time very disappointed bye hsbc in fact I hate being with hsbc after a year of hell I will be leaving as soon as possible and I still ain’t got My money back they just don’t care and it show
I applied for their home mortgage online. Uploaded all required documents, including w2, etc. It's been more than 3 weeks now, and I got no emails, no phone calls, nothing from them. I was assigned to an agent Jennie M Sansano, that I found out by calling to their phone numbers. Once I was transferred to her, she just hung up on me, and when I tried to call her back, none picked up the phone.
Absolutely unacceptable!
They took my money off me I want my money back I am overdrawn now don't go with HSBC they are useless I was on a phone for a hour and they didn't answer horrible bank they are
I have been a customer of HSBC for years and need to change my name

I've called and live chatted as I cannot attend my branch due to health issues - both told me I have to attend branch to change my name.

I was told if I directly call the branch, they may be able to arrange someone to go into the branch with my identification documents on my behalf.
Not only is this completely backwards, it's also undignified. There's nothing wrong with my brain, yet they're telling me I have to ask someone to handle financial matters on my behalf.

I have savings accounts, investment accounts and mortgage accounts with Barclays, Lloyds, Newcastle Building Society & Hargreaves Landsown - plus a pension and a HMRC self assessment account - all of which allowed me to change my name online or over the phone.

I find HSBC's policy for this highly antiquated - especially considering it's only a surname change due to marriage.

I will not longer be a customer, I am switching banks because this is appalling.

It's basically discrimination. They're holding my identity hostage because I cannot visit a branch.

Absolutely terrible customer service.
You would be required to attend a branch in order to open a business account, takes too long. I wanted to also open an EUR account but was told after taking a month to open the business account that I have to make another appointment to open foreign currency account and waiting times where I live are 4 weeks. So all in all it looks like it would take nearly 3 months to open an account with GBP/EUR, totally unacceptable when I found a disrupter bank that can do it in less than a day.
Hsbc is rated 1.41 based on 431 reviews