Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

community@opendoor.com

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Cancelled the day before home assessment due to covid 19 via a generic email leaving is no other resources after hubby took a job transfer and is already working 3 hours away. Thanks for nothing.
We completely understand your frustration and concern at this time. Due to this unprecedented health emergency, we are no longer able to conduct assessments for the safety and health of both our employees and our customers. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you to support you and your family at this time. Please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
I initially hoped to use Opendoor because a couple friends had begun the process of selling their home to Opendoor and it seemed to be pretty smooth. I received a letter in the mail from Opendoor outlining an offer range (not a formal offer at this time, but a good indicator of what I might expect) so I decided to call as well. I spent thirty minutes on the phone and was reassured that someone was working on my offer at this time. I received a communication the next day saying an offer couldn't be made at this time. All this would only amount to some slight irritation - with everything going on with Coronavirus and the uncertainty regarding where the housing market is going I can completely understand hesitancy when buying homes. However, the situation was a lot more serious for the other friends who were using Opendoor. Opendoor pulled out on them in the middle of last week and left them in a situation where they are closing on a new home but will now no longer have any money on the sale of their old home. They must begin the process of selling through a realtor all over and with current uncertainty it is highly unlikely they will sell in time to meet their closing date on their new home. Do business with Opendoor only if you like rolling the dice; they clearly have no problem bailing at the final hour.
We completely understand your frustration at this time and we're mindful of the effect it is having on the communities we serve, our employees and our mission as a business. We are taking these actions to prioritize the safety of our customers, employees, and partners. Please have your friend send us an email at community@opendoor.com with their property address so our team can ensure your situation is getting the appropriate attention. Thank you.
CONSUMERS BEWARE! THIS IS THE MOST DISHONEST UNETHICAL COMPANY AROUND! DO NOT CONTACT THIS ORGANIZATION FOR ANY REASON! THEY WILL ABOUT THEIR INTENT AND ABILITY TO PURCHASE YOUR HOUSE! I HAD A SIGNED AGREEMENT TO THEM TO PURCHASE OUR HOUSE, THEN THEY SEND A GENERIC FORM EMAIL SAYING THEY'VE DECIDED TO ABANDONED THEIR SIGNED AGREEMENT! THEY MADE THIS DECISION AFTER ASSESSING MY HOUSE AND THEN DECIDING TO MOVE FORWARD WITH THEIR OFFER! DISHONESTY DEFINES THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES AND THEIR UNETHICAL DECISIONS WILL END THEIR SHORT TIME AS A CROOKED COMPANY! ANYBODY THAT HAS A PENDING AGREEMENT WITH OPENDOOR SHOULD CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY! I FEEL BAD FOR THE EMPLOYEES OF THIS COMPANY WHO ARE SURE TO BE UNEMPLOYED SHORTLY BECAUSE OF THE WAY MANAGEMENT HAS DECIDED TO FLEECE THEIR CUSTOMERS!
We completely understand your frustration at this time. Please send us an email at community@opendoor.com with your property address so our team can ensure your situation is getting the appropriate attention. Thank you.
DO NOT work with Opendoor. We are days away from closing with Opendoor and on our new build. Received a generic email at midnight they are canceling our contract citing it is the right thing to do due to Covid-19. We have been under contract since January and are devastated. No idea what to do.
They made me a single mother of five children believe they were going to buy my home. I had to move a whole house three bedroom two bathroom two car garage and a storage shed to storage so we can close on this contract. They canceled the day of closing.
We understand your frustration with our decision to not move forward with the purchase of your home during this unprecedented time. We want to further communicate that this decision was not an easy one or one made to negatively impact our customers intentionally.

Again we hope you understand that we're prioritizing the need to keep our employees, customers, and partners safe during this time. Once we have a better understanding about market conditions, we will reach out to you in the hopes that we can earn back your trust.
I chose Opendoor over other ibuyers because I believed it was a more reliable and reputable company. Opendoor canceled our agreed contract last minute before the inspection due to market concerns with no options to move forward after we had signed a new lease with an apartment and after our other offers from ibuyers had expired. We received no information when it was canceled, which further delayed our ability to take other actions. We were devastated and we would advise everyone to stay away from Opendoor based on our experience.
Brendan, We completely understand your frustration and concern at this time. Due to this unprecedented health emergency, we are no longer conducting assessments for the safety and health of both our employees and our customers. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you to support you and your family at this time. Please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
Same with us with pulling out of the deal. Generic email after everything going through including the assessment with no changes or repair requests after assessment But because it's still within 10 days after assessment even though nothing was found needing repair they pulled out and have a BS excuse about coronavirus. Sounds to me like they don't want to sit on inventory. When directly asked if the tables were turned and I was purchasing a home from open door and chose to back out due to a "virus" would they allow us to do that? He had no response. This is the most unethical and unprofessional company. They also don't let you keep the earnest money. They said if we wanted to we could readdress for a July close but they would take off 5% from offered and agreed upon amount
Unethical business practices. Simply walking away from a signed contract hiding behind a clause of being within 10 days of the assessment with confirmation of no repairs needed because they obviously don't have the capital on hand to fulfill a contract and cowardly hide behind a virus outbreak as an excuse.
DON'T TRUST THEM, VERY UNETHICAL AND OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CAPITAL OR ASSETS TO HONOR CONTRACTS.
Wow!!! I am really upset! Open door just canceled their offer to purchase our home 10 days after we signed a contract with them. Their reasoning was COVID-19. No other reason. Now we have to go back to the drawing board without any recourse!

Oh and how did they inform me of this decision? By generic email without any real documents or contract cancelation paperwork. I had to call to make sure what I was reading was true.

Thanks for nothing OpenDoor. Do not use this service as they can obviously jerk you around without any penalty!
They don't honor their offers. Very unprofessional, using a virus as a way to escape an offer they made before implied closures. Ethics out the door with this company! Integrity is completely lost with this company as well.
We completely understand your frustration at this time and hope you understand closing offers due to COVID-19 was not an easy one to make. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you, please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
Opendoor has a home for sale next to mine. Its workers stole some property from my yard and they refuse to reimburse me.
Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
We read all of the FAQs and criteria and it appears we would qualify. However we were told we were a risk of resale Per the algorithm. Our home is 12 years old and in great condition. Apparently the program isn’t for everyone. So, just be aware that you may not receive an offer. It’s important for people to know both sides before you get your hopes up.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and will utilize your feedback to further evaluate and develop.
Seems like a joke. Buggy website with errors. After getting all info website displayed an error.
I had a buyer close on a home in May of 2019 and just found out that Opendoor and their title co they never filed the new owner info with the proper authorities. The home is still in Opendoor's name. Since they also own the title co, it's not hard for them to do things like this.
Kerry, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
Open door provided us the time necessary to look and wait on a new build to be built, as well as to rid ourselves of a lot of stuff! That’s where the good stuff ends!

We owned our house free and clear and we had to borrow some money to get into a new build 1/2 the size in the same area ! Open door takes advantage of people in a legal sense makes the customer pay all fees! We started at 279,000 and walked into the new deal at about 248,000! Open door had paid almost nothing in my opinion out of pocket ! Good for them and we felt a bit violated in the sense that we owned our home and I felt so secure in that!

I could not imagine given different monitory circumstances and not owning our home out right that we would be where we are , we had to add a great deal of money to feel good about not feeling a little taken advantage of! Open door really holds all the cards in a deal as they have figured it out how to walk away with no debt or little debt in a deal!

I would be honest to people about open door! A person would have to decide on there own if they did a deal with open door! For myself it took a few bars of soap to wash clean! In the end it worked out for us, but I can’t keep thinking about all the others that didn’t have the advantages we had!! They did have those fees to-give and what happen to them ! I guess I would say I would say no I would not indorse open door , but I would tell my story and let them decide, we were treated ok, had time I still think of others, I will let them decide on open doors ! I can only tell my story!
If you have a home that is in good condition and does not need any major repairs, beware. After having our home assessed/inspected, we were told by the inspectors that our house was in excellent condition. The following day, we received a call from the Opendoor representative stating they have reduced their original offer by $14000. When asked why, we weren't told. Days later, after requesting to speak to a supervisor, we were contacted by a manager and told it was due to our lot "being sloped".
Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like to please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
They don’t fix repairs on a home they’re selling if there’s too much listed issues to address. They under estimate the repair cost by giving you back money that they know won’t cover it. On top of that, they over price the house. Opendoor needs to do an inspection before they buy out someone from their old home. Or, fix the problem so u can get paid.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Been trying to close with open door this is the worst experience ever.
I am trying to close with open door they are making the first time buying a home the worst experience ever. I would not recomend them to no one
Hi Wendy, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
I am currently trying to close on a home with Opendoor. They have been more then un-helpful. First Opendoor was asked to do re-insulate the floors in the crawl space. They reported them as completed but I went into that crawl space and it was not. Open-door was to do a Termite inspection and treatment. The wrong report turns up to my lender and my lender requested repairs for approval of the loan. The rep for Open door for almost two weeks kept addressing the repairs as and an item that didn't need to be addressed because the wrong report by the termite inspection was turned in. Finally, after two weeks of back and forth in emails, the Rep of Opendoor turn in another report stating that no repairs were needed. Please keep in mind I had to move into a hotel with my daughter because I was under the impression that open door had merely made a mistake was now going to fix the issue. My lender looked at the letter and asked open door to please provide a 3rd party contractor to check for structural damage. They asked this because for two weeks open door did nothing to clear up their mistake and give my lender confidence that there are no issues with the inspection. Open door said they will not pay for that and so I said I would be glad to do so. Open door agreed to that last Friday. ( I am now moving on to week three of my hotel stay and I am bleeding money, I have paid for an apartment but it is a hotel.) It is now Wednesday and open door is now telling me it may be until Friday before I will get a report back about this house! I could have hired someone directly and had that report in a day but open door is taking it by the week. Days go by with no timeline and no action being taken to help me close on this house. I have the impression that they do not want to close on this house. I have held up my end of this contract but open door is not. I hope not to have to take legal action. I have paid earnest money and met the agreement of the contract in a more than a reasonable time. I fail to see why it takes days, to get someone to complete an action such as a phone call and work order to complete the transaction of buying selling of this house. If actions are not completed soon I will be forced into another contract with an apartment and it will be close to another year before I will be able to consider moving into a house. We have an agreement and open door is doing everything but completing this. This is my first time buying a home but I am very aware that my time and money are being wasted. The money I am spending on this hotel could go into this house but the open door is waiting almost a week before doing anything about this issue.
On 2/12/2020 Open Door offered us $344,700. Their Customer support Representative, Lori Fitzgerald, called to review the contract. We verbally accepted and Lori informed us that we had until 2/16/2020 to sign the contract and send it back to them. Today, 2/14/2020, we had a window of time to sit down and complete the contract. When we opened the attachment, the offer had changed. Now 2 days later, without so much as inspecting the house, Open Door has dropped the offer to $319,000, using comparables from a neighborhood that no realtor who knows our area would use as comparables for the neighborhood where our home is located. Getting involved with a company that is not honest on the front end is a bad idea. I expect to be jerked around every step of the way when dealing with this kind of dishonesty. Thank you Open Door for highlighting the fact that local realtors earn every dime and save most homeowners money in the long run. I will be listing with a responsible, knowledgeable, trustworthy Northlake realtor who knows the value of our neighborhood.
Jennifer, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
Opendoor is rated 4.11 based on 902 reviews