African Overland Tours Reviews

of reviewers recommend African Overland Tours
Read African Overland Tours Reviews

About African Overland Tours:

We believe travelling the road in Africa changes you, Forever!
We want others to experience this.

Our team of passionate planners (ex guides and travellers) help you find the perfect trip for your adventure. The tours will leave you with unforgettable experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime.

We offer over 300 Budget Safari types, from Accommodated Tours, Camping Safaris, Small Group Safaris , Budget Tented and Lodge Safaris and longer African Overland Tours at the most competitive pricing with unbiased, honest help all backed up with financial protection guarantee.

Our local knowledge and experience is invaluable as we have travelled and guided extensively on the routes in Africa (not many people can say that).

+27214480997

Tell us how African Overland Tours made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
African Overland Tours 5 star review on 12th December 2019
african_overland_tours
African Overland Tours 4 star review on 6th April 2020
Sharen Wilbur
More Photos & Videos
A great value price wise and company makes a serious effort to provide great communication and customer service. Sometimes tour operators that are booked by African Overland such as Nomad tours will have glitches which cannot be predicted. Accommodated tours may be subpar. We were grateful to receive a small refund resulting from this. Thank you.
overall it was good since the trip itself was amazing with great staffs of a tour leader and a driver. I was also very lucky to have small group of intelligent people to travel with.
Booking experience was not entirely perfect. There were few mistakes on the documents - wrong dates, wrong names --- those details make customers skeptical, who're already nervous enough with going on a trip far away to Africa.
Also the agent didn't come back to my question after all even thou he said he would.
I like prompt reply from your company and give me very clear information
We were very happy to connect with African Overland Tours as we began our search for a trip to Namibia. We knew a few things we wanted and a few we did not. While it took a bit longer than expected to get our trip organized, Tammy found a perfect compromise with our desires and pocketbooks. The on line process was simple and we received prompt information about this. We can’t wait to finally experience Namibia.
Thanks so much, Jacqui! I'm over the moon we could help you and you found us extremely helpful :) You are going to love Namibia in October, it is a beautiful place to explore.

Kindest regards

Andrew (Founder of AOT)
GOOD PRICE EASY TO BOOK FAST TO REPLAY
The service up to our booking was very friendly and helpful. But my email afterwards wasn`t answered.
Thanks for much for the feedback. I deeply appreciated it. I would be more than happy to find out why the email wasn't responded too. Naturally, we want to help :)

Kindest regards

Andrew (Founder of AOT)

PS Please feel free to email me at andrew(at)AfricanOverlandTours.com as your email wasn't provided by Reviews.io.
Our three trips were absolutely amazing! The best parts of the tours, in my view, were the safaris in Etosha, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, Our guides, Mama g, Nyika, the two drivers of Nomads were super dedicated, looking after all the members of the two groups(from Cape Town yo Kenya). It was clear how much effort they put into ensuring the group would have an unforgettable experience. We saw the big five and many animals. Furthermore, the private tour at Kenya was fortunate enough to see the migration at Masa River. Driver Simon was always helpful to advise and introduce the wildlife there. I would recommend the trip I did to anyone if wish to Africa!
Hi Paul
Thanks so much for the awesome feedback :) We are so very pleased to hear your African Overland Adventure was a success and an unforgettable one :)
tents were redundant. zippers on most tents were extremely difficult to deal with and tents were difficult to roll up in the mornings. It was unpleasant as we had to deal with this almost everyday. Rimson and Gift were great guides and I had many info from them.
Hello!
How nice to hear from you.
We had an incredible trip. An experience of a lifetime.
I really enjoyed hiking in the Namibian Desert and any opportunity to talk to ordinary people.
After our time in the interior, Cape Town was an assault on the senses. I wasn't impressed with the V&A. But, our time with Clive was excellent. He was courteous, professional, and took the time to understand our needs.
I took many pictures, of course. Not so many of animals. Not my thing. If you are interested, a few are on my website: DONALDRYMESPHOTOGRAPHY.COM
It has been years since we travelled with young children, but what a great way to expose them to a world of possibilities and teach them how lucky we are. This summer, we have rented a chateau in Dinan, Brittany. Our sons and their families will join us there for a month.
Life is good. No - scratch that - Great!
Thanks for reaching out.
Regards,
Don and Lori
Pretty good overall, but time zone changes mean once a day correspondence which slowed the process a bit. Very helpful staff other wise
Great knowledge and info. Not very responsive, sometimes took multiple follow-ups to get an answer. Some of that may have been due to the time difference. Overall great experience
Hey Nicky! How are you? So nice to receive your email! I really wanted to write you after my incredible trip in Africa (thanks to you), but after almost 3 months travelling I get back to work and didn't have time to say THANK YOU! The trip was perfect, I had enjoyed it a lot, with wonderful people! Our track was "Stevie", and our guides Johannes, Bhecks and Evans. They were so professional all the time! Next year I don't know if I'll be in Europe or Africa again! I would like to do Kenya including the best National Parks (the Masai Mara of course is one that I want to visit), and also I would like to see the Gorillas. Could you recommend me a tour for these places? For about 2 or 3 weeks. I'll recommend you to all my friends who want to visit the incredible Africa! Another friend of mine (Patricia), is thinking to go to Africa next year with her father and family, and I gave her your email address. You are the best and very professional! Let me know if one day you come to Ushuaia (Patagonia - Argentina) or to Antarctica! Have a nice day! Lorena
Africa was a major bucket list item for me and I can’t thank you enough for all your help in our last two trips to Africa. Eve and I are kicking ourselves for waiting so long to go. We’ve seen totally different regions and Namibia was amazing! Hot but amazing! I can’t imagine what the temperature on Dune 45 would be in the middle of the day! My next door neighbour’s are planning a trip in spring 2017. At this point they aren’t sure what they want to see or where to go but I will give them your contact info. Unless one of us wins a large lottery, this was our last trip. I wish you all the best in the future – I know Eve agrees. Thanks again. June (just a woman who loves Africa)
I wanted to thank you again for having done a fantastic job with all the information you sent so I can prepare for my overland trip. Everything on the trip was great! The food was so nice and varied and the activities quite spot on. Trekking with the gorillas was an amazing experience that no word can describe. FYO the Ugandan visa was 100 dollars. The Kenyan visa can be taken at airport and is valid for 3 months after first entry. Some people had the East Africa visa (Kenya-Uganda-Rwanda) that made things easier at the border. Need to be organised at embassy or can be made on arrival in Uganda border if they have some available. Some people went to Rwanda for few days when in Bunyoni and east Africa visa came really handy then to avoid paying re-entry visa in Uganda. Also, rafting in Jinja was 125dollars for the whole day but I think it was low tourist season so, a bit cheaper.
Just wanted to drop you a quick email to say thank you so much for putting together such a fabulous trip for Ruth and Tom. We had a great time.
Hi Andrew, Thanks so much for all your help and all the extra tips. You are easily the most helpful travel consultant I have ever dealt with, and it really helps to take advice from someone who knows the destination well. I will be back in touch nearer the time about the pre-tour accommodation etc. Thanks again, and I hope you have an awesome time on your trip to the Okavango in the new year! Take care:) Best wishes, Sinéad
Hi Andrew, Thank you for the follow up. We really enjoyed the trip, saw so many things it takes a bit of time to take it all in. The car break down was part of the experience !! Although it could probably have been prevented. Thanks for your support and maybe we book another trip with you in the future. Regards, Jan.
Hi Nicky, Thank you for your email enquiring after our trip. We had a wonderful time on both our tours. Sadly, our holiday has come to an end and we arrived home on Sunday! I would really like to thank you again personally, for all your support and assistance in helping me to organize the first part of our trip. You were wonderful to work with, extremely helpful and willing to assist. The information you provided on internal flights and airport transfers was spot on and you made it all so easy to manage and organize. So a huge thanks to you for everything!! The Botswana Wildside tour was awesome. Aside from an initial roadside breakdown within an hour and half of leaving Joburg (which caused a 3 hour delay the first day) the rest of our trip passed extremely smoothly. We had a small group of 9 people and everybody got along well. The wilderness camp sites under the stars were amazing and the food prepared by our cook was excellent, including lots for fresh fruits and vegetables. We saw so much incredible wildlife, including the 'Big 5', at very close range - the leopard walked across the open plain in broad daylight straight to our open 4WD vehicle, passed underneath the vehicle and then out the other side, where it then sat for a few minutes - an incredible moment for everyone in the group. We were also extremely fortunate to see a honey badger at close range one afternoon, a rare roan antelope, and more than 20 male and female lions at extremely close range in each of Moremi, Savuti and Chobe. We had visits by hyenas in camp, and 'survived' a buffalo stampede / lion chase in the middle of the night right past the edge of our campground in Chobe. A good reminder that we were in wild Africa! Our guide Lloyd, local guide / driver Brian and cook / supply vehicle driver James were extremely helpful and friendly. They were all very knowledgeable about the local culture, fauna and flora and always willing to share their knowledge and experiences with the group. One thing in particular we liked about this tour was travelling in an open sided 4WD vehicle between Maun and Livingstone - it made you feel extremely close to the animals and provided everyone with great views and photographic opportunities. We absolutely loved this trip and had a really amazing time. We have already recommended this company and trip to everyone who did our East Africa trip! Thanks again for recommending it to us. All the best, Debbie
Huntley, 56 days overland in Africa, nine countries visited, over 13,000 kilometers of bone jarring "African Massage," many untold (as yet) adventures and interesting locals and fellow travellers - a grand adventure that lived up to our expectations and more. I think it's fair to say we have renewed high hopes for Africa even though it'll be a bumpy road along the way! Off to Cape Town for about a week of R & R, thence the Garden Route and home. Phew! A quite exhilarating trip. We had good guides and generally good fellow travellers. All in all, a very special journey. If we had to do it again, we'd drop the Vic Falls to Arusha section. East Africa is hard, but fascinating nonetheless. The accommodations varied from quite wonderful to barely marginal, but you knew that. I suspect that this too will change over time. A great deal of road construction in Tanzania and Uganda, but oh those speed bumps. There's something about the suspension and wheelbase on the Nomad (and, I suspect others) that accentuate the impact - flying comes to mind. Our driver was very good though about slowing to a crawl. We got an interesting insight into the younger traveller when we shared a booze cruise with a truck from Above Africa in Jinja - mostly 20 something Brits and Aussies. I asked if they were going to Namibia and got a blank stare - hadn't a clue where they were going other than it ended in Cape Town and there was a beach in Zanzibar - makes my study of the whole thing seem excessive. Ah the joys of youth! Thanks again for all the help and patience along the way - it paid off.
Hi Huntley, We are now back in Australia after 8 terrific weeks in Africa. We had a truly marvellous time on the 3 tours you expertly arranged for us. We would like to thank you very sincerely for all your helpful advice, and the considerable work you put into arranging our itinerary. We are mindful that bookings and specific dates were at a premium but you negotiated these problems to provide us with an excellent itinerary that gave us a broad range of experiences, sights and of course lots of animals. You always answered our many queries quickly and with all the needed information. We were impressed by your expertise and helpfulness. There is one regret. It would have been nice to have caught up with you in Cape Town and perhaps bought you a coffee but unfortunately this did not work out. We arrived on Friday 2nd September rather jet lagged and after settling into our hotel made our way to the waterfront then pursued other things over the week end and on Monday we met up with our daughter Julie and spent time with her (Your company also arranged her itinerary) and then it was onto the overland truck. Your home city of Cape Town is very scenic though at the time of our visit it was rather cold. Highlights included the hop on hop off bus, botanical gardens, local townships, Hout Bay, Camps Bay and the coastline, Robben Island, Table Mountain, a trip to Cape of Good Hope and penguins, city sights and museums. Our accommodation at Holiday Inn Express was nice and comfortable and centrally located. We wished we had more time in CT but that was true also of most places. The Cape to Vic Falls accommodated tour was fantastic - the accommodation was above our expectations - sometimes 5 star and every day was a new and exciting adventure. Our tour leader Charles and cook Louise (and also trainee Anthony) were excellent and made the trip enjoyable. Highlights were Namibia sandhills, Etosha and Chobe NP and of course Victoria Falls where we stayed in luxury at Elephant Hills Resort. Anyhow, we just wanted to thank you for making our time in Africa such a memorable, adventurous and enjoyable holiday. We came away with a love of your land and its people. We felt it was a great privilege to see and do and experience it all.
African Overland Tours is rated 4.79 based on 214 reviews