Viator Reviews

66% of reviewers recommend Viator

About Viator: Our team of travel insiders is obsessed with finding the best things to do everywhere we travel. From Paris to Phuket to Perth, from traditional tours to once-in-a-lifetime experiences, we have something for every kind of traveler. And we are proud to say that after 17 experience-packed years, we are the world leader.

When planning your trip, why start anywhere else?

888-651-9785

support@viator.com

360 3rd St #400

Tell us how Viator made you happy

Lmfsport
"I've taken around 3 trips with Viator and everyone has been amazing!! We snorkeled with WHALE SHARKS off of Cancun this year and that was fantastic !!! We just came home recently from a cruise and booked an excursion while in Belize City. That was also a snorkel trip to Goff's Caye and our trip was unbelievable and our crew was fantastic !! It was my son's first time snorkeling and he's not the best swimmer. So even though he's an adult, he was a bit nervous. When I told ROBERTO that it was my son's first time snorkeling, ROBERTO jumped right in & took over. He took care of my son the entire time, from getting him off the boat & into the water to snorkeling around the island and showing him things underwater. FANTASTIC !!! We also love to snorkel in Nassau and I booked a snorkel trip with our favorite place (and to me, the BEST in Nassau) and then I booked a snorkel trip with Viator. It turned out that it was the same exact snorkel trip with the same company!!! That tells me a lot !!!! That means that they look for the BEST possible trip and company to use to offer their trips. I'm totally sold on VIATOR !!!"
MARIA C
"Great experience in all of our tours in China. Our three guides were exceptional. I will definitely book through Viator again."
"I had enjoyed All the Tours I made with Viator. However there was a bit of Hitch last year due to Bad Weather here in Australia and mistakes by my Travel Consultant in making my plane land at Mandalay instead of Yangon. However in retrospect it was enjoyable specially The Swedagon experience which I had seen twice...morning and later on twilight time! I definitely r commend Viator for Tour Reservations etc."
"Appalling Paid £150 for tou Tour guide did not turn up There is no way of contacting Viator It would appear that their whole operation is designed to rip off consumers whilst hiding behind the anonymity of a multinational"
"Viator doesn't care about their customers and will always take the opposing side when it comes to the bookings problems that may come your way. We are currently on vacation and had booked a few tours with Amigo Tour, but we already started our vacation with a major headache because of them. Our tour itinerary stated that we were to meet our guide at this one checkpoint at 9am. It stated that the guide would arrive early at 845am so we showed up at 830am to make sure we didnt miss him/her. Needless to say he/she failed to show up on time and by 920am we were already fed up on waiting on him/her. Of course, we asked around to see if anyone had seen the guide and everytime we got the same response from everyone we asked which was, "oh yeah the Amigo Tour guide is usually late". We called Amigo Tour several times before and after 9am but got no response. Even the employees of the Castle Of Chapultepec, which was the tour site,said the same thing about this agency. There were several people waiting there for the guide besides us. After we decided to do the tour ourselves with no guide, we decided to call the tour agency again. This time we got ahold of them and instead of trying to understand our situation they started to call us liars claiming the guide was there at 845am which of course wasnt the case. We spent 2hours arguing with the agency demanding a refund, since it wasnt our fault that the guide was not on time to meet us for our tour. The agency had the nerve to confirm that sometimes the guide could possibly arrive a little late and that we should of waited longer for him/her. We got so fed up with arguing with the agency that we decided to cancel all our tours for the week that we had booked through Viator. Amigo Tours told us that if we wanted a refund that we would have to find the guide there and he/she would issue us a refund but the guide was nowhere to be found after 40minutes of looking. We contacted Viator directly via email after several failed attempts with the tour agency to get a refund, but Viator sided with the agency instead of with us. They flat out told us that we were liars and that they contacted the agency and of course they denied any wrong doing on their part. Viator then told us in that email that it was our fault for not showing up and that they would not give us a refund and thanked us for understanding. We got no support whatsoever from Viator not even a possibility of an investigation!! We of course emailed them back telling them that since Viator is not willing to investigate that we will contact American Express directly and file a complaint for that fraudulent service that we received and if we have to we will proceed further to prevent all charges against us for the week. After we contacted American Express we received an email from Viator stating that they would show good will by refunding us $75 out of $600 for that one day tour. Really?!!! Yeah no!!! They dont care about their customers and will pocket your money unless you act against them!"
"Viator/TripAdvisor charged us a family of 6adults+5children approx. $2,000. They booked multiple half day trips to Aix-en-Provence on the same date June 29th 2018 $211.73+$502.48+EUR933.35. I have made no less than a dozen calls, including but not limited to sending an email to the leadership with no response. They literally have STOLEN OUR MONEY. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY PEOPLE FINALLY GIVE UP AND THE KEEP THE MONEY."
"We have generally had a good experience with Viatour and have used the company in Spain and in France, no fewer than five times. Customer service and appreciation is lacking, however, as our recent experience with them has shown. Explore all of your options before booking with this company, as I don’t find them to concern themselves much with customer satisfaction. We travel in Europe several times a year, but I trust we will look elsewhere when arranging guided tours. Christopher Alexander New Mexico, USA"
"I booked my tour through Viator and they made no mention of the company they would be outsourcing my booking to, it was not stated anywhere! To my horror, the tour was conducted by Keytours (which have many negative reviews). I would not otherwise have chosen Keytours given their record. Needless to say, my experience with Keytours was far from pleasant! Read on for details. Think of anything worst than horrible and this is what Keytours is! the group tours are large and overbooked with way too many people, very disorganized, no way to keep track of people who belong to ths group, took at least an hour to figure out who belong on what bus which delay start of tour. Tour guide kept losing people and the rest of us had to wait around all this time until they find them which delay the tour. Tour guide gave long boring lecture style history lessons which everyone just stopped listening or fake attention after awhile. You can't hear her half the time and she's walking way ahead of the group. It is very impersonal and very uninteresting. Some people who did not pay to be part of the tour kept going around with the group and basically randomly join in with the tour and the guide either didn't notice or never bothered to get rid of them! The included lunch is a horrible experience, we are extremely late so not lunch, more like early dinner by the time they get us there and then they rush us with little time to eat so they can keep up the next part of the "tour" and no beverage included, they serve hot tap water meaning not even ice provided. A lot of the tour is self guided despite advertising "guided" and they leave you to figure out how to get back with the group so they kept losing people because they got lost or took forever to get back to the vaguely described meeting place. Hotel drop off is a scam, they drop you in the middle of nowhere basically and you have to pay for taxi, walk or find other ways to get home! keep in mind it is dark at night and Greece seems to be saving money by not turning on street lights, most people are new in the unfamiliar city and it's unsafe and dangerous the way they leave you to wander around trying to find your hotel, in my case I'm female and alone on the excursion! Key tours is a NO if you are looking for a company to book tours with! Key tours is worse than HORRIBLE! Viator is also responsible, again, I booked with them and nowhere did it state with whom my tour would be because I would have cancelled the booking immediately had I known it was with Keytours."
"The variety of activities in every destination I've chose."
"The cooking class we booked changed location/venue & time which was no where near what was advertised. The time was originally at 10am and was changed to 5pm and the overall cooking class went from beautiful Amalfi to some guys apartment nearly an hour away from where we were. All these changes were sent to us (through the Viator website) a couple hours before the cooking class. Total bait and switch. The service provider contacted us asked if we wanted to cancel and we agreed and asked for a refund which they said they would make sure was done. Over a week and a half later and we had not seen a refund so we called Viator and was told they would contact the "operator" and get back to us within 24-48 hours. 2 Days later and we called back again, having been put on hold for nearly 2 hours. They said they needed to contact the operator yet again and said it would be 24 - 48 hours. I asked for a supervisor and they hung up on me. We called back yet again and they said they would send an email which we received that said "no refunds" due to Vitaor having paid the tour operator in full. And now we are out $400! We have documented proof through the Viator site that shows that what was changed by the service provider and they don't care that it was changed. Total scam. My credit card company has been contacted to document this and we will report this to the FTC and every other consumer rights protection agency in both the US and EU."
"Three of us booked “the taste my Swiss City Lugano.” We took the voucher and accompanying print out to our first stop, Bottegone del vino. We presented the documentation. We were seated at a table served a light lunch and lovely glass of wine. We were then given a b”” for 115 euros. We presented the voucher again...along with the print out listing their restaurant, the waiter took it, discussed it with three others. The manager then brought it back to us removing 15 euros for the wine and chastised us that we should have presented it first? We did! So after paying over $200 for the “free” tasting we had to pay 110 euros. It was very clear victor had doneeither a poor job selecting the stops or partnering with them so they understand their responsibility. We want our money back! We did not pursue the other stops....it was just too expensive and uncomfortable! I am trying to reach viator now to get a refund. They don’t make it easy to reach them. This is the first site I found to complain."
"8th September 2018 We purchased a full day trip to the Hoover Dam with Lake Mead cruise for the last day of our scheduled trip to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This we had booked several months in advance so we had been really looking forward to the trip for some time. 24 hours prior to the trip we contacted Viator booking office as detailed on the tickets to confirm our booking to be told we would be picked up by a Gray Line minibus at 9 am in the Valet area of another hotel in the area as our hotel was not on the pick-up line. On the day of the tour we arrived at the designated correct pick up place 45mins before the due pick-up time. At 9.15 am we still had not been picked up and so called the office only to be told they had contacted the bus driver who said he had been running late but had pulled into the valet area and waited 5 mins and that we had now missed him by 4 minutes. This is a complete untruth told by the driver as we later confirmed with the hotel’s CCTV no Gray Line bus had pulled into the valet area during the hour we had been waiting. He had not entered the valet area of the hotel at all. They refused to send him back for us or for us to be picked up at another location. Viator then told us we could now only be booked onto the 12.15 half day trip but we would not be able to do the Lake Mead cruise. So we transferred to this as it was our last day and wanted to see the dam. We again confirmed all the same pick-up details and time. The minibus only arrived at the pick-up location following another phone call from us at 12.15. When the minibus arrived at the same pick-up location we had been waiting at in the morning we asked the driver why he had not called on the morning route to pick us up only to be literally shouted at angrily by the driver in front of all the other bus passengers. He said we would need to take our complaint up with Viator, he wasn’t interested and just demanded us to show him our ID or we were not getting on the bus. So we got on the bus only to be ferried to another Gray Line waiting location where we then waited another 20mins before being transferred onto another bus. Later we learnt that quite often if the bus driver is running late on his pick up round he will just miss out certain pick ups so as to arrive at the Gray Line booking-in terminal on time! Once he is here he then spends 20 mins or so just chatting to other colleagues and eating croissants!! The rest of the tour was disappointingly less than great, we spent most of the afternoon picking up and dropping people off and once at the dam we were rushed to ensuring we completed the dam tour quickly as we only had 1.5 hours to explore before we MUST be back on the bus or be left. It is evident from the countless poor reviews we have since read that there is a re-occurring theme of poor service throughout and it is obvious this company are totally less than interested in learning from the comments made by their dissatisfied customers but instead only want to acquire your money and an ever-building bad reputation."
"THEY ARE CONS, JUST MIDDLEMEN WHO HAVE PATHETIC CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND WILL RIP YOU OFF YOUR MONEY! I booked the ten lakes tour of the Lake District for 11th August with my family. Since the web site page stated that kids over 5 years are allowed. I, therefore, I called the helpline and asked specifically whether I could take my three years and five-year-old kids. I was told that I needed to buy a ticket for the 5-year-old kid and there was no need to buy a ticket for the 3-year-old who I can take along. After travelling all the night from London, I reached Windermere at the Information Centre but was denied the boarding the minibus by the Mountain Goat agent that children under 3 were not allowed. I told them that the Viator had allowed me to take. Had they not confirmed that why would I have booked and caused so much inconvenience to the family. I called the VIATOR helpline and they refused to intervene rather said that they can't help since the Moutain Gate agent refused. Both VIATOR and the MOUNTAIN GATE not only caused severe inconvenience to me and the family but also refused to refund the amount! Spotting an opportunity of minting more money, a female staff of Moutain Goat rushed to us and offered us that she could arrange another tour for 275 GBP, which we refused to avail! Guys, please avoid them, they're cons and are only concerned about ripping people of their money."
"I had requested hotel pick-up for two tours in Rome. Our hotel was listed as a pick-up site and I received a confirmation. 24 hours before the first tour, we were told there was no hotel pick-up. I tried calling Viator customer service (never an answer). I finally wrote through the website. I received my first response 18 hours later that they were contacting the tour company. I never received any help from either Viator or the tour company. The last email said that I would hear something back in 7-10 days but that surely doesn't help since my tours are over. Their 24/7 customer service statement is blarney!!!! :sad:"
"*********** Horrible customer service ******** I have used Viator for several tours and for the most part the tours were good and the tour companies have been professional. Buyers should beware- if you are buying with the impression that you will receive customer service if something goes wrong, Viator is not the company to use. On a recent trip to Rome, we bought the fast pass for the Vatican. The meeting instructions were poor and when we found it the tour company left and there was no one there to help us. We ended up buying a tour from another company. When returning to the states I tried to rate the experience but found the tour did not show on my bookings; I called Viator to get it added to my bookings and I got the run around. I tried for over a week to no avail and when I asked for a supervisor the customer service agent would not transfer me, place me on permanent hold until they disconnected or say they would call me back. I agent would not listen to my concern and just kept reading off a script."
"I have done several tours in various places around the world with no issues and recently had to change dates on 3 tours and eventually cancel and get a refund. The 2 customer service people who spoke to me on the phone went above and beyond the extra mile to help me even contacting individual tour providers for me while i was on hold. I would definately book with them again"
"We have used viator for several years in different locations and overall we enjoyed their services. But, on a recent trip to Europe we saw a different side and their poor customer service. We booked a one day tour of Paris and we were staying outside of Paris. We noticed signs on the metro that the day of our tour there was a one day social event work slowdown. On the morning of our tour we checked and the limited trains so could not get us to the meeting place in Paris in time. We made numerous calls to the tour agent without success and even called viatour and they told us they didn't know about a strike and it was our responsibility to get to Paris. We stopped in our hotel and an employee whelped us for an hour to finally contact the tour agent who told us basically you get here or lose your money. The hotel concierge realized it was the same company they use for tours and they had cancelled paris tours because of the transit issue. We ended up taking a tour with another company that was great and 3 weeks of fighting with viator and we ended up calling our credit card company to get us a refund. Horrible customer service. Later in the trip we arrived at the Rome port and had scheduled a transfer from viator to our hotel in Rome. When we booked the transfers, we could not schedule a time as we didn't have a disembark time. 2 days before arrival we tried calling the vendor but it went to a non working cell phone. Even the ships crew tried numerous times. Upon arrival, no car service. we waited an hour with multiple calls to the vendor and finally crew member go through on their cell phone and were told a car was there at 7 and waited and then left. They told the vendor that the ship was just getting in at 7 and they hung up on the crew member. We ended up hiring a taxi and 2 weeks later still fighting with viator."
"Terrible company! Do not trust them! We paid for 6 snorkeling tours in Cozumel. They refused to take us because of lack of time and refused a refund! We were not the only group they ripped off!! If anyone can tell me more ways to post and get the word to people please let me know. People need to know and this company does not need to continue to rip people off!"
"Book the Budapest Parliament House tour for May 29, 2018. Advertised as small group which we were hoping would be around 20 people. We had 38 and you could hardly heard the guide and people were pushing to get up front so we could understand the guide. Very poor."
"I booked a tour because a representative gave me some information; it was wrong; after talking or trying to talk to Viator several times; reps were very polite; they didn't get it; they were from Phillapines and had no idea what I needed; never got an answer; had to change my airline dates and incur a change fee with them; all because Viator could not get me correct info; ever.\ I have used in past and fine them lacking in info for customer"
"I paid for three Viator tours while on a Mediterranean cruise in May. Only one went flawlessly (a cooking class in Mykonnes), and the other two had problems. Our voucher for a 3.5 hr. tour of Vatican City in a small group of 10, purchased 4 months in advance, became the nightmare of our 18 day trip. Viator obviously is the booking agency the connects travelers worldwide with local agencies who conduct the tours. Most of the local agencies are good (used them previously in Europe and Canada), but THINGS ONLY WORK IF VIATAR GIVES YOU THE CORRECT INFORMATION. We arrived at the Vatican steps at 2:00 for a 2:30 entrance and could not find the company stated on our voucher on any of the guide's flags or signs. During our frantic search 3 nice Vatican officials tried to assist us and agreed that no one from that company name was there. Ironically, an Ecoart tour guide noticed the Viator symbol on our voucher and said "yes, we use Viator but we are not the company you're looking for." At 2:45 I was almost in tears so we purchased tickets with another group, and we paid 56E each on the spot to join another group of about 20 people. It was a great tour with the non-Viatar group, but later it was not easy getting Viatar to admit their fault and they never apologized. I was livid when the second Viatar rep said that Ecoart said we never showed. I told her that we had spoken to them twice but that Ecoart was NOT the name of the local agency printed on our ticket so neither of us thought we should be in that group. Only after writing a long description of our nightmare in the sweltering heat, did they seem to believe I was there and gave us a refund with words to the effect that they were doing us a big favor- no apology, nor denial, for printing the wrong local name on our voucher. The previous day, we enjoyed a terrific 8 hr. Almalfi coast tour with Worldtours of Naples that we purchased through Viatar. The tour exceeded our expectations except that the tour description had said we would be part of a small group of 16, and we counted 30 on the bus. The same thing happened to us on a Viatar trip in Canada that promised group of 12 and it was 20. I don't know if local groups increase the number, or Viatar just buys that many spots from them, but either way the customer is not getting the smaller group experience they pay for. I will do my best to avoid Viatar bookings on future trips and suggests that others do the same."
"Viator have many tours available giving travellers a great choice to select from. They were very quick in confirming my tour for my daughter and I once I had paid. I will certaainly use Viator again and recommend them to friends."
"Bought tickets to Burj Kalief ( tallest building in Dubai) Printed all information and tickets sent by Viator and they where not accepted at the Burj ticket booth. Please beware of Viator as they are a scam website."
Viator is rated 3.63 based on 397 reviews