first direct Reviews

of reviewers recommend first direct
Telephone, Live Chat

Tell us how first direct made you happy
After 5 years of trouble free banking First Direct declined to pay a Direct Debit of £50 that would have taken me £23 over my agreed limit. My mix up, my fault, no quibble there. The company the payment was for took payment over the phone next day with no issues and no repercussions of any kind. However First Direct informed me that they would report this to Credit Reference agencies as a missed payment and that this would have an adverse effect on my credit score. If you value your credit rating do not bank with First Direct. This extremely Draconian policy appears to be unique to First Direct/HSBC group. Please be aware that they will happily harm the credit rating of their own customers even when there is no requirement for them to do so. Most banks do not do this for single missed payments. First Direct will.
Terrible customer service.
With Coronavirus, First Direct Mortgage team push customers to the edge.
Not helpful, not honest. Avoid this bank.
As a self-employed business owner with two shops, both profitable but affected by the Coronavirus I spent 4 hours on the phone to them yesterday, the first two hours I was told because they were very busy, in fact the customer adviser put me through to a phone in an office no one was located in. I spent the next 2 hours speaking to a lovely young lady but her hands were tied and because i did not fit their criteria they were not even willing to offer me a temporary loan till the Government pays me a self-employment grant in June. Shame on you First Direct, you have left my family penniless because of your greedy policies. I have been a loyal customer since 1996 and during that time have taken out several loans and paid them all back, I have a very good credit report with no missed payments, no CCJ's and no previous bankruptcies, shame on you First Direct you are a disgrace.
yes they answer the phone quickly but then put you on hold for 20 minutes! Made me waste an hour and parking fees to take a passport in to prove god knows what? Born and lived in uk for 50 years, shouldn't be treated like this imo
Dire. The changes to the online banking login coupled with the app are appalling. They just don't work properly and are clumsy. So bad I'll be leaving them.
First Direct Bank was extremely customer focused, yet with the forced use of the Secure Key reader no longer cares, it is complicated, to many numbers to input and most times does not work, customer services told me I needed to use their on line app, dont really like banking on the telephone but took their word for it, tried to use, extremely non customer focused, easy to make input errors and if you done have a smart phone (like me) you cannot do your banking, told needed to call them but due to high level of call (due to Secure Key) it can now take some time to get through, then implied its not going to change so possibly change banks, not what I wanted to hear after being a customer for 25 years.
Difficult to use and understand new banking app and software. Can't get through on phone without waiting half an hour. After 18 years banking with them. I'm leaving. All their great customer service staff seem to have gone also. Replaced by those who don't care less. Couldn't score them zero that's the only reason I gave them one point. One point too many.
Atrocious new online banking platform. Now using their telephone banking only.
There new online platform is atrocious, unhelpful, unclear and completely user-unfriendly
I used to rave about First Direct, and recommend it to all my friends (I was one of the first customers - switched from HSBC). Unfortunately it has really lost the plot. For a start, to get into one's account is like Fort Knox: you have to have a special pad and create a unique number, takes hours. Second - one of the biggies, for me - it has a clunky, cumbersome not-state-of-the-art online system which is an absolute nightmare when it comes to tax time (or any time!!!) However, the reason I'm leaving (for Metro, I think but watch this space) is because of the patronizing, self-satisfied attitude of its current staff, who these days have not the slightest notion of service, or any sense of obligation towards long-suffering (and long-standing!) customers. So: three reasons why I'm off!!! Hope this is useful to somebody, at least!
first direct is rated 1.94 based on 18 reviews