Natwest Reviews

of reviewers recommend Natwest

Tell us how Natwest made you happy
I have been a NatWest customer since about 1970 (although I keep the bulk of my savings with another bank). I have just tried to open a new account but was refused, as I do not have a mobile phone. I think it is pathetic and shows just how inflexible NatWest is. They forget that it is the taxpayer who owns them, since they were bailed out by the Government some years ago!
Worst bank
Closed my current bank account with no reason! Avoid NatWest at all costs! The worst bank, terrible. I hold other bank accounts with other various UK banks, I have never experienced this.
received a letter as my bank account is closed, contacted them and they are unable to explain or to tell me any specific reason as to why the account is closed! All they say it's 'according to our terms and conditions section s 12.2'' DISGRACEFUL!! waste of time, never again with NatWest
Closed my account without any notice kept my money !! no explanation !! still waiting next steps !! awful awful bank !!!! stay away run away call a cab !!! anything but go near nat pest !!!
I have made a customer call on 21 October 2020 at 18:53 and the agent named Robert has answered the call. He started to ask inappropriate queries. I found he seemed very rude and Natwest bank didn't train their customer agents such Robert how to offer a good customer service. I lodge a complaint however I feel this bank has failed to provide better service as other banks offer in the UK.
Over 12 months trying to change signatories on a Business Account. Deadlines not kept, further mandate instructions not actioned and the latest development is they want new mandate forms filled in as they can’t find those submitted 12 months ago using their online portal!
Local Branch very apologetic and have done all they can to try to resolve the issue, but their central complaints team just have no sense of urgency in resolving the issues.
My son’s student account with National Westminster was blocked in 19 November of 2019 without any valid reason given.
We were told by The Financial Ombudsman that it is in within NatWest guidelines ‘(Terms and conditions) to do so.

My son received this text message saying-

IMPORTANT

Following a review of your banking arrangements, we have made the decision that we can no longer offer you banking facilities. Accounts have been blocked & a letter sent to advise this decision & next steps. This decision is in line with the T&Cs of your account & we are unable to discuss the rationale for this.

There was no letter sent regarding the closure of his account.. He couldn’t log into his account nor use his bank card immediately after receiving that message. He had no money for food or any other means for me to get money to him. He was distraught, shocked stressed, disappointed, emotional distressed and defrauded. He could not sleep because of a level of worry. He was an emotional wrecked student.

His Natwest account was opened in 2001 as a savings account. In 2019 he requested for NatWest to turn it into a student account which they did.

In December 2019 National Westminster sent him a threatening letter regarding the £500 overdraft they gave him at the start. Now! where must he get that money from so soon knowing he was living off his overdraft away from home. His dad sent him £160 and they took it which left him without. This overdraft was to be paid back at the end of the 3 years by the agreement of the bank. The outstanding balance is around £140. This overdraft was not a loan so they should have set up payment plan with him.

By January they sent his name to debt collectors {Moorcroft}
By February there was a default on his credit file

NatWest is the worse and disgusting bank ever. Please do your research on this bank before you decide to open an account with them.

My son had been a victim of Kafkaesque
I've only given them one star because I can't give zero. They sent over £2000 ponds of my money to the wrong account, and have done nothing to attempt to get it back apart from blaming the other bank. I've proved that it's not the other banks fault at least once but there's still no attempt to address the issue-although I have found out through an online article that they have 'beefed up' their security systems so it can't happen to other people while simultaneously denying they did anything wrong!!
I have been waiting 3h+ and counting on their customer waiting line for fraud prevention (they blocked a payment I made without informing me and now i have to wait forever to tell them its ok to pay)

Their customer service is absolutely pathetic
I was transfered twice to different departments even though I clearly explained what the problem is.

I have been on the phone for 3h + to speak to someone and waiting.

Really pissing me off now
Their website and apps are not fit for purpose. Links don't work, emails don't arrive, text messages don't have links that work with certain browsers. Do yourself a favour and steer well clear. They don't provide a business relationship manager unless your turnover is £2 million so there's noone to help with anything.
After banking with NatWest for over 5 years, I've recently had my account closed down overnight without doing anything wrong or given any explanation, only that they consider that i have broken their terms and conditions which i haven't. All my funds have been withheld and are being withheld by the bank for up to 60 days. After carefully reading the bank's terms and conditions, i am 110% sure i have not broken any, definitely NOT committed any fraud (reason why bank can withhold funds for up to 60 days). After being told that my account was closed by going in branch and speaking with the account closure team a couple of times. I find out today that my account is still active and receives funds although i have no access to it or to any funds on it. I've asked for my bank statements up until the account closure so i know the exact amount i'm supposed to get back as all my salary and any kind of funds are stuck there, today after speaking with the Account closure team, i find out that i only have around 600£ out of 3183£ but why i ask, the answer being that its maybe related to the to the personal loan i have taken out and the credit card money i owe , mentioning that i have paid money in my credit card account and last time i've spoken to the closure team i have been instructed to arrange a standing order just a few days before the normal paying date on my new bank account(with another bank) to pay back the money i owe in instalments as i did until now. The bank has taken the liberty of paying off the loan and credit card apparently out of my funds without my consent and without me knowing. I cant believe this has happened and i don't see how this can be legal, it is my money and the decision to close down my account was not mine and i have not done anything wrong. I dont understand how an institution so big can commit such acts and take money from me without my consent. For anyone reading, please do not open an account with this SHADY BANK!!!!
So awful I moved to Santander, which is far better.
I have a reward account which I use via the app and online banking. They are absolutely useless and I'm so stressed and embarrased because of them. Trying to make a reasonably large payment is just a nightmare. Their security system is not fit for purpose. It is almost impossible to make payments. I have been trying to pay an invoice for 3 days now. Currently on phone to them for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Changing banks asap will never ever use these jokers again.
NatWest Bank - Disgrace, shame on you, excuse for a bank. Taking my business elsewhere !
Treating new potential customers like rubbish ! My account application was denied.
I submitted ALL required documents, including id, proof of address, bank statement from another UK bank. My application went through and yesterday I even got a confirmation that my account is approved and card is on its way. Today however I got another follow emailsaying my application was declined giving no reasons but general quote of credit check. I didn't apply for a credit account or credit card but a debit account and debit card, so I don't see how any of that has an impact on opening an account.
Have been a customer over 40yrs, awfull service. I wanted to transfer money to my son,s account. They no longer do that I was told, I need online banking so I can do it myself ,I also need a i phone, and they would set it up for me to do myself. What do they do, if we are all doing it ourselves? I am 72 i don't want a computer or a i phone, thats why I have a bank !! Time to change banks.
I have complained to them over and over again and they have never once investigated. I have highlighted a number of failures with their staff, processes and they have made promises. On the back of that they send totally vague emails dismissing my complaint but without ever having checked out anything I have highlighted. If they had they would list out the complaint and they would say what their findings were.

Their service is appalling and I pay them for the privilege by the way with annual fees and all my families money in their bank. It’s disgusting how they treat people and they are purposefully obstructive. The regulators have to do something serious with them. Other customers have to be experiencing the same games NatWest play.
Useless bank in every single way. Avoid if you can
My elderly mum lost her debit card this morning. Brad on the helpline was absolutely fantastic with her, he obviously grasped the fact that she was struggling to remember the answers to simple questions and was really patient with her. Thanks Brad, 5 star customer service.
Met by a loud mouth at entrance, waited 50 mins which had then gone over my lunch break, only 1 person at counter , with a big q , 5 other members of staff , waiting in the middle chatting , doing abs nothing.
Tried to pay a cheque into the London Bridge branch on Southwark St....No chance! Long queue outside (big contrast with adjacent HSBC and Barclays). Plain obvious this taxpayer-owned shambles is using Covid19 as an excuse to cut jobs & reduce high Street presence. Shame on you Natwest - you used to be a pleasure to bank with.
Natwest is rated 1.63 based on 278 reviews