smarTours Reviews

of reviewers recommend smarTours
Read smarTours Reviews

About smarTours:

smarTours is a leading provider of direct-to-consumer, affordable travel experiences to exotic global destinations. The Company offers travelers curated, pre-packaged itineraries to over 40 destinations across the globe. By offering tours directly to consumers, the Company provides premium-quality experiences at value prices, and as a result, has cultivated a highly passionate and loyal community of repeat travelers. More than 200,000 travelers have taken a smarTours trip since the founding of the Company in 1996. smarTours is… the smarter way to see the world.

800-337-7773

info@smartours.com

545 Eighth Ave. Suite 2250
New York, NY 10018

Tell us how smarTours made you happy
Isela
Anna
smarTours 5 star review on 20th January 2020
Joseph
The guide was very knowledgeable, but communication was poor. We were unsure from day to day what the schedule would be. Nothing was written. Everything was word of mouth. To add to this, there was mass confusion, lack of organization and control as to what and where we were to do at each day. I would not consider another trip by Smart tours based on this one.
Excellent guides, and drivers. Too many undisclosed surprises (NOT the tour guides fault). Far too long waits prior to travel at airports, train stations etc. No ability to choose or upgrade seats on aircraft. My wife's name is different that mine and our airline seats were not together no changes were available. Hotels were told we were two singles so room changes need to be done. On one excursion we were informed we might be required to share accommodations and bathrooms. We did not, others did. This needs to be clearly spelled out on the itinerary. It was not. On a tour of this quality halfway around the world surprises of this nature are unacceptable and I felt tricked, like a bait and switch deal. Itinerary stated we were flying to Auckland and we eventually did after a stop in Sydney for an undisclosed plane change. Again a surprise. Optional tours prices went up steeply as minimums numbers were not met. We need to be told this in advance of actually being there that our tour was below minimums and surcharges would be added. This also put more pressure on our excellent tour guide having to explain again and again all the latest costs. Hotels were well located offering good breakfast.
The Trip itself was good and the tour Guy Ron was very impressive, and knowledgeable. But my experience booking the trip, dealing with the staff in New York, lack of professionalism was unbelievable. I wish that the staff would have been more organized and did not ruined our group trip as previously planned. I had to call the company on several occasions for my invoice which I paid for prior confirming my trip.
The tour guide was a friendly one, but first time undertaking a Smartours group. There was no first day of booking the optional tours, thus we missed out on the waterfall and horse back riding tour optional tour. This was due to lack of planning on the tour guide. Also, there was no one page contacts list in case people in the tour wanted to share contact info., We have always had out Smartour guides provide this service and we have taken 9 or 10 Smartours trips now. The hotel in Tortoguerro was subpar. Nice locations but rooms were dark and dingy and since there were now windows you could hear conversations of your next door neighbors. The hotel in MonteVerde was a lovely place however there was no insulation around the doors on the back deck and so the winds slammed the doors all night so huge lack of any sleep.

One suggestion is to have an optional 3-4 days in an all inclusive resort on the Pacific side at the end of the Costa Rica tour and utilize an experienced Smartours guide,
We just came back from Egypt Tour. Our Guide Khaled was fabulous with so much knowledge of the history. He made sure our group was safe. over all experience was great. However the Egypt Air experience was horrible. The crew was very unhelpful. Bare minimum water was offered. Due to second security no personal water could be brought on board. we felt very dehydrated. The NY office was very incompetent. Lost my son's deposit check twice. we had to make several calls and emails exchanged to finally get things straightened out.
Did not receive the paper work on time, I had to call several time to get it send. this did not start the trip over very well.
Our SmarTours group was 10 people, which made it a pleasure. Our guides went from good (Patricia in Chile) to very good (Mariano in Argentina) to pretty bad (Natalia in Buenos Aires). Food was occasionally good (two Estancias and all hotel breakfasts) and occasionally bad (hotel in Puerto Natale) or nonexistent (early breakfast in Santiago before a flight to Punta Arenas with no food available). The excursions were all very good, especially the penguins and the sheep shearing/lunch). We were very fortunate to see glaciers in excellent weather, plus glimpses of the splendid mountains between the clouds. Our guides should certainly have known that Argentina limits the amount of local cash we could get from the ATMs. Many of us walked from bank to bank, wasting a lot of time, only to learn online, later, that cash would not be forthcoming. Advance warning would have helped a lot. Having limited cash severely cut into tips for our guides, our drivers, hotel staff, and servers in restaurants.
smarTours 3 star review on 4th March 2019
Felt like we were not given all options on some of the extras like taking gondola up and having the buffet. The dinner was not good and we were crammed in so tight you couldn't get out comfortably to get food. There was an option to just take the gondola up and not have dinner for much cheaper but we were not told about this option. Would have been better with a tour guide from the countries we traveled in instead of from the states. I had never been on a tour of this type so maybe my expectations were too high. We had trouble with several of our flights so felt like we lost one whole day of our trip. After we got to our destinations the optional tours were priced higher (sometimes up to $40 ) then the final papers that smart tours had given us just two weeks before the trip. This may have been because of the difference in currency but I feel this should be explained better than what it was. We were dropped off at several different places and told to find our way back to hotels. I felt our tour guide talked down to us and in my opinion she wasn't very personal or approachable. The first hotel we stayed at my sheets and bedspread were stained. I should have complained at the hotel but didn't. It was a nice hotel and everything else was good. The breakfast buffets had lots of choices and very decent foods. The bus drivers were very nice and informative. The farm stay was one of the highlights of the trip. I was not looking forward to it but ended up having a great time there.
We were on the "Incredible Iceland and Northern Light Tour." We were not pleased to have to pay for our own Northern Lights tour with Grey Lines at an additional cost. We were told Smartours only covered the cost of the Northern Lights tour for the first three days, when we did not go out, due to snowing conditions. This extra cost makes no sense on a tour titled Northern Lights. Also, before the tour we emailed to get additional information as new travelers to Smartours and our email was not answered. On our phone contact, one representative was snippy in her attitude.
Hotels was good kibbutz was dirty adina Mayer was knowledgable but boring if we had known that masada was closed every January for maintenance would have gone in February the bus driver in petra picked up one of his friends to drive him home on our time.
Tour director was just ok. She was very organized and punctual. She lacked empathy to the clients it seems and not very focused on catering to them. Given the $ amount spent on this trip it seems as though she could have done better and put forward more effort towards making our experience more enjoyable.
Hotels and food provided were sub par
Our guide started with I am an excellent guide, I have been doing this for 8 years. I had to ask several times to answer questions. She read the history and a few other things out of a note book and kept making errors with the read. she dropped us at the hotel and said you are on your own. I will see you tomarrow. she did give us suggestions. All other guides with you have been excellent. Vic Hotel was so hot and dinner was cold. All else was o. k.
We have traveled with Smartours before and had good memorable experiences. This Egypt tour, however, fell short of expectation.
The Egypt air flight from JFK was held up on the tarmac for 1-1/2 hours and no updates or announcements were ever made. The Aswan- Abu Salem flights were disastrous! The outgoing flight was delayed an hour and the return flight was most chaotic ever with multiple repetitive screenings with associated lost/misplaced items. The whole Abu Salem tour was poorly planned. The original schedule allowed barely enough time [2 hours] and the delay reduced it further making it the most expensive and unwise investment of time and resources. Other groups traveled by cruise ship and spend a night there. Smartours could schedule a night there in the ship instead of an idle day at Luxor. While the Tour Director was a scholarly person and very supportive, same cannot be said about the other ground staff. The Manager provided some inaccurate, contradictory info. on optional tours and fees and failed to offer any regrets. The farewell dinner at Marriott was mismanaged, especially for the vegetarians. The cruise ship was average, but services fell short of expectations. Wifi was unavailable even in the reception area for Smartours clients and food services were very restricted. No tea or snacks were available in-between meal times. Too many early flights, midnight wakeup calls and crowded scheduling [too many commercial store visits] made it a strenuous trip even to many of our seasoned travelers in the group.
Overall while it was an educational and valuable trip for us it could have been made more enjoyable with better itinerary scheduling and improved local services.
Hope this would be treated by Smartours as constructive criticism from a loyal customer.
I enjoyed my two previous tours with smarTours to Myanmar and Ukraine, but this Thailand & Cambodia trip is nowhere as remarkable or enjoyable. The return connection in Beijing was awful. I almost finished reading War & Peace. We did not get to see downtown Bangkok and the boat ride scenery as seen in most brochures. I wished more meals were included. The coach was comfortable, and our excellent guide Susie was knowledgeable and meticulous.
Some hotels were booked with SMALL single beds. Didn't expect view rooms, but tiny beds are not acceptable when one queen is a couple of $$ more or the same.
Flight from Lax to SYD then on to AUK made no sense since we lost a day in Aukland and flew past Aukland 2 1/2 hours waited 2 1/2 hours and flew back to Aukland the first day.
Several direct flights to AUK boarded in Lax about the time we left LAX. I had wanted to book my own airfare for this reason, as well as the price difference, but was told that was not possible.
I was informed this is what we got for booking a discount trip. After booking Business Class for this trip, it cost the same as many other land tours. At $23K plus, hardly a discount trip.
We have booked Africa in May 2019. We hope our Africa trip is not as discounted as this trip was.
Tour director could have been much more informative on our daily travels.
The guide was excellent but the travel arrangements were a short coming. I was disappointed in the fact that the bus that was to take us to the airport was late in arriving thus raising the anxiety levels. The trip over was terrible but that was somewhat weather related. The meals are ok but nothin g to rave about. Overall the trip was of
Your tour guide talk down like we were school children. We were In a marathon race, asked the guide to wait until we all get off the bus, as there were slow walkers, I was ignored. I waited for the last person and by the time we got to the guide this lecture was in progress, we missed a lot..He had a superior way about him. this is just for starters.. Finally near the end of the tour Mr.. Albert Gerber and Mr.Bigboy was great tour guide. What made the trip bearable was the the last two guides and the guests.
First time with Smartours. The schedule was very hectic. Didn’t like the 2 am wake up calls. Not much free time. Other tour companies include soft drinks with their meals. Felt it was not very organized.
smarTours is rated 4.41 based on 1,366 reviews