smarTours Reviews

85% of reviewers recommend smarTours

About smarTours: smarTours is a leading provider of direct-to-consumer, affordable travel experiences to exotic global destinations. The Company offers travelers curated, pre-packaged itineraries to over 40 destinations across the globe. By offering tours directly to consumers, the Company provides premium-quality experiences at value prices, and as a result, has cultivated a highly passionate and loyal community of repeat travelers. More than 200,000 travelers have taken a smarTours trip since the founding of the Company in 1996. smarTours is… the smarter way to see the world.

800-337-7773

info@smartours.com

545 Eighth Ave. Suite 2250
New York, NY 10018

Tell us how smarTours made you happy

Under an hour
Susan G
"As usual, hotels were good, food was good. For me, I was unhappy that we spent a day each to travel from one capital to the other; three days in total. It meant that we had less time in each city. This was particularly evident in Vienna, where were really had only one full day, so I had little time to see the museums. [I would suggest travelling at night and arriving in each city in the morning]. Our Tour Manager was Renata Mikulovska. She was sublime. Professional, patient, organized, funny, compassionate. And most important, she shared her knowledge as if it was her first tour… she imparted information to a group of adults who were seeing the treasures of each city as novices. I am sure that she’s done this trip tens of times; yet her delivery was never stale. A true talent. I travel alone; yet I never felt that way. This group was wonderful; the best from the three tours I have taken. And I know that I have made many new friends with whom I would love to meet on future SmarTours destinations."
Nancy
"My husband & I enjoyed our tours to some really unique places on this Best of Bali & Java Smartours trip. Seeing Borobudur at sunrise was definitely the highlight in Java. Our tour guide Jack was so knowledgeable & accommodating - he did a fantastic job for us. The hotels were lovely, especially the Hotel Nikko Bali at Benoa Beach. The only downside to our trip was the Cathay Pacific flight. Seats were 10 across on a Boeing 777 & extremely close to the seat in front. For a 15+ hour flight between LAX & Hong Kong, this is intolerable. Never again want to fly Cathay Pacific on a long-haul flight."
"This was an outstanding trip of a lifetime! Incredible sites with a great tour director made this a trip worth taking!!"
"I took the June 19 - July 2nd tour this year. We had a wonderful tour director (Elvis). He has a great sense of humor, patience and his encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the area is admirable. He is quite an asset to SmarTours. The local guides were very good, the hotels good. A wonderful tour all around with great travel companions. The American Airlines flight from Prague to Philadelphia was the worst flight I was ever on in my long history of air travel. Nothing worked and the food was terrible."
"Poor customer service. SmarTours received the $300 deposit check and cashed it on November 30, 2018, but claimed that the check was not received on December 6, 2018, and refused to do research. Misleading tour dates. SmarTours advertised tour dates as July 7 to July 19, 2019, but actual travel dates are July 8 to July 18, 2019. Two very tiring early morning departures to the airports. The visit to the World Heritage Site Borobudur Temple is too short. Tour Director Jack is excellent, hotels are great, meals are satisfying."
"The tour guide was great. I enjoyed the stuff I saw. He picked great sites to take us to. I enjoyed the food. Did not like Jungle Vilas hotel. We passed so many better looking hotels it was hard to believe it was upscale. It seemed like we were the only guests and the hotel was way down a dusty road in the middle of nowhere. If I had wanted a safari I would have picked a different tour. Some of the places our guide took us to shop seemed a bit pricey. Yes, he was guaranteeing quality. But exploring on our own we found shops which displayed comparable reputation and goods at less expensive pricing. The so called farewell dinner was an absolute disaster. The selection of the restaurant and food was so bad we could have skipped it. In fact, that's the kind of dinner you take your guests to when you want to say "farewell, please don't come back again." If it wasn't for the guide, we'd be bad mouthing that part of the trip all over social media."
"Our tour to Bali and Java with Smartours was very enjoyable and more relaxing than other destinations that we have traveled. Our tour director "Jack" spoke excellent English and was able to answer all of our questions. All of the hotels exceeded our expectations and probably had the best included breakfasts of any of the many guided tours we have taken. After seeing the somewhat chaotic traffic particularly in Java we were thankful to be in a comfortable motor coach with an experienced driver. Two highlights: the worlds largest Buddhist temple, Borobudur, was amazing at sunrise. Shortly after sunup the small crowd disappeared and we stayed long enough to have the massive temple to just the Smartours group to explore in detail. Secondly, the whitewater rafting optional tour near Ubud is not to be missed. Rafting in the tropical waters of Bali is so much more comfortable then the snow melt filled rivers of the Colorado Rockies.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
"Would have liked more food options than the same "westernized" chinese food for every meal...some of us are more adventurous eaters and would like to experience different foods than we can get in America. The ear pieces worked well when the guide was using the microphone. Frequently though he'd move the microphone away from his mouth then close again. Consequently, we'd hear it too loud or not at all. It was hard to keep the volume adjustment on my ear piece at a comfortable level. Missed a lot of what was being talked about. Also at times the group got realy spread out and those of us at the back were out of range of the guide and didn't hear a thing. China's history is fascinating but only if we can hear it."
"We was rush when it came to shopping."
"Our Tour Director was excellent. Thanks"
"well organized good English speaking guides good hotels My only negative and this is important because I live on the West coast. Most trips to the East of the US leave from N.Y. which is a significant price increase for us. We have been to N.Y. so many times, I do not need the extra expense any more. Many trips I did not & will not sign with SmarTours is because of that."
"My only complaint is how small the cabin was on the boat. I understand there are certain limitations; however, it went to the extreme. Other than that, I have always enjoyed all my SmarTour trips and I have brought new clients on each trip I have taken."
"The tour of China was a classic case of "bait and switch". The price was very low ($1200 for the land portion of an 8 day, 3 city tour). However, every day there was an "optional" event that was impossible to turn down. As a result the real price went up by about $400. SmarTours should cut the deception and reveal the true cost of the tour, which was otherwise most enjoyable."
"Yoko was great! Disappointed in the 2 dinners. Not very special, and should be one on final night of trip in Kyoto for good-byes."
"Very good experienceience. Excellent guide (Harry). Hotels were 4+. River cruise could have been one less day. Visit to see soldiers was unpleasant as it was Labor Day and crowds were overwhelming. Trip to dam was unnecessary. An extra day in Hong Kong would have been nice."
"I would rate the trip 5 Star if not for our missed flight connection and last minutes change of airports which made it stressful. I realize SmarTours has no control over the airlines but a longer layover was needed to allow for delays on our recent Croatia trip. I missed the first day of my tour and was stuck in two different airports (London and Frankfurt) for the day instead of touring wonderful Zagreb. Otherwise, it was a great trip."
"Outstanding English speaking guides throughout with only one exception."
"We were disappointed in some of the hotels. The farewell dinner was really bad. Bad food and location."
"I totally loved flights, vacation and everything being all inclusive. Makes traveling a whole lot easier… I do wish that they were a little bit more organized, however"
"I previously did and I expected a response regarding the Athens tour leader who was awful."
"Accommodations were very good - both on the cruise and on the land tours. Guides were very friendly and knowledgeable - were experts in their field."
"Iceland was fabulous and the weather wasn't bad in early April. This was our third trip with SMARTOURS. Overall we were quite satisfied. Two concerns. This was our 43rd wedding anniversary trip, and my wife and I were placed in different parts of the plane on the outgoing flight. Secondly, in the paperwork we received from SMARTOURS, it said you can pay in cash for the extra tours. We were told that was absolutely not correct. No American dollars were accepted. My family and I are going on the Ireland trip this summer with SMARTOURS. We will see if our family of 4 are seated together on the plane or not. If not, it will probably be our last trip with SMARTOURS. SMARTOURS says they have no control over seating. For the price we paid, SMARTOURS should insist they have some say in the seating of its tourists. Other tour company groups on the plane were seated together."
smarTours is rated 4.39 based on 747 reviews