smarTours Reviews

85% of reviewers recommend smarTours

About smarTours: smarTours is a leading provider of direct-to-consumer, affordable travel experiences to exotic global destinations. The Company offers travelers curated, pre-packaged itineraries to over 40 destinations across the globe. By offering tours directly to consumers, the Company provides premium-quality experiences at value prices, and as a result, has cultivated a highly passionate and loyal community of repeat travelers. More than 200,000 travelers have taken a smarTours trip since the founding of the Company in 1996. smarTours is… the smarter way to see the world.

800-337-7773

info@smartours.com

545 Eighth Ave. Suite 2250
New York, NY 10018

Tell us how smarTours made you happy

Under an hour
Susan G
"As usual, hotels were good, food was good. For me, I was unhappy that we spent a day each to travel from one capital to the other; three days in total. It meant that we had less time in each city. This was particularly evident in Vienna, where were really had only one full day, so I had little time to see the museums. [I would suggest travelling at night and arriving in each city in the morning]. Our Tour Manager was Renata Mikulovska. She was sublime. Professional, patient, organized, funny, compassionate. And most important, she shared her knowledge as if it was her first tour… she imparted information to a group of adults who were seeing the treasures of each city as novices. I am sure that she’s done this trip tens of times; yet her delivery was never stale. A true talent. I travel alone; yet I never felt that way. This group was wonderful; the best from the three tours I have taken. And I know that I have made many new friends with whom I would love to meet on future SmarTours destinations."
Nancy
"My husband & I enjoyed our tours to some really unique places on this Best of Bali & Java Smartours trip. Seeing Borobudur at sunrise was definitely the highlight in Java. Our tour guide Jack was so knowledgeable & accommodating - he did a fantastic job for us. The hotels were lovely, especially the Hotel Nikko Bali at Benoa Beach. The only downside to our trip was the Cathay Pacific flight. Seats were 10 across on a Boeing 777 & extremely close to the seat in front. For a 15+ hour flight between LAX & Hong Kong, this is intolerable. Never again want to fly Cathay Pacific on a long-haul flight."
"This was an outstanding trip of a lifetime! Incredible sites with a great tour director made this a trip worth taking!!"
"A lot of activities of great variety scheduled in a perfect time frame! Great hotels, EXCELLENT tour guide, and so much culture! A phenomenal value for the price!!!"
"This is the 2nd trip I've taken with Smartours. The tour guides were extremely informative, very helpful, and appeared to be genuinely concerned for every traveler. When i compare my trips to others who have traveled to the same counties I have but used a different tour group or traveled on their own, their experiences in the foreign land was not nearly as extensive as mine. My Smartour experiences has been nothing but amazing!"
"The tour guide was great. I enjoyed the stuff I saw. He picked great sites to take us to. I enjoyed the food. Did not like Jungle Vilas hotel. We passed so many better looking hotels it was hard to believe it was upscale. It seemed like we were the only guests and the hotel was way down a dusty road in the middle of nowhere. If I had wanted a safari I would have picked a different tour. Some of the places our guide took us to shop seemed a bit pricey. Yes, he was guaranteeing quality. But exploring on our own we found shops which displayed comparable reputation and goods at less expensive pricing. The so called farewell dinner was an absolute disaster. The selection of the restaurant and food was so bad we could have skipped it. In fact, that's the kind of dinner you take your guests to when you want to say "farewell, please don't come back again." If it wasn't for the guide, we'd be bad mouthing that part of the trip all over social media."
"We have done 4 Smartours over the years. South Africa, Macchu Piccu, Galapagos, India and Nepal. Each and every time we have been so very happy with EVERYTHING. The tour, the accommodations, the food, the tour guides, especially the tour guides. Safe, knowledgeable and fun! I recommend Smartours to so many people you would think I worked for the company. 111 countries and the very best of these were done with Smartours."
"I have been to Ireland 4 times (adore it!) and wanted to share it with my sister. (Her first trip.) (I have traveled with smarTours on many occasions and have always been pleased.) I was happy this tour included places I had not been before. We both had an absolute blast! My sister has special dietary needs and Paul, our tour director/driver, helped her out really well. She was able to easily get the food she needed. This was a major stumbling block to going overseas and it was taken care of beautifully. If anyone is hesitating because of dietary needs, you needn't worry. For one thing, vegan and vegetarian offerings are everywhere. (Her needs were more specialized.) I love Ireland for her amazing history, literature, art, music, and dance, but I had forgotten just how gorgeous she is as well. And Paul made sure we had great spots to take photos. Another thing I had forgotten is that everyone is incredibly friendly. If you have a 15 minute conversation with a stranger they are likely to invite you to dinner! I have been fortunate to travel many places in this world and Ireland is my very favorite place. And the Magical Ireland tour with smarTours was fabulous. It was great but it was the little things (like jumping up and down on a peat bog! It is really cool!) that were added bonuses. One drawback to the tour (and we will be in the minority) is that it was heavy on eating and drinking. We prefer seeing the sites and learning history. Having said that, I also have to say there was a good balance of free time and guided time. However, you do have to remember, with a tour like this, it is going to be rushed. We chose to skip meals sometimes so we had more time at the sites. I do highly recommend this tour to anyone considering a trip to the Emerald Isle. The tour included all the major places a first time visitor to Ireland should see as well as places someone who has been there before may not have seen. I am ready to go again!"
"Great time, learned a lot- Our 2 Tour Directors Granville and Nina made Greek History come alive. We ha enough down time and enjoyed every minute. The optional tours were worth it and should not be missed. This is my second SmarTour trip and will do it again"
"The trip was amazing from start to finish. The bus driver was so great. Peter gave us so much history and country info and made you want to learn about it. He's very personable and good. The hotels and meals were all great. The things we got to do were fun and entertaining. We would take this trip again and recommend Ireland to anyone. Beautiful country and people. It was my first trip outside the US and it was a great experience."
"Our tour to Bali and Java with Smartours was very enjoyable and more relaxing than other destinations that we have traveled. Our tour director "Jack" spoke excellent English and was able to answer all of our questions. All of the hotels exceeded our expectations and probably had the best included breakfasts of any of the many guided tours we have taken. After seeing the somewhat chaotic traffic particularly in Java we were thankful to be in a comfortable motor coach with an experienced driver. Two highlights: the worlds largest Buddhist temple, Borobudur, was amazing at sunrise. Shortly after sunup the small crowd disappeared and we stayed long enough to have the massive temple to just the Smartours group to explore in detail. Secondly, the whitewater rafting optional tour near Ubud is not to be missed. Rafting in the tropical waters of Bali is so much more comfortable then the snow melt filled rivers of the Colorado Rockies.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
"I really had a great time during my stay in Spain. Most of the tour guides wow very professional and knowledgeable. As a whole the did an excellent job. Hotel accommodations as well as the foods were great. Thank you for making the trip very agreeable."
"I had a wonderful trip to Ireland & my tour guide, Paul Kealy, was not only knowledgeable but very entertaining! I recommend both SmartTours but Paul for your trip to beautiful Ireland!!"
"I especially appreciated our Tour Guide, Mery's, extensive knowledge of Turkey's history and culture. She also had a wonderful sense of humor as well. The tour included a very good variety of western Turkey's cities both in the interior and along the coast lines. Accommodations were excellent with the exception of the Dinler Hotel Urgup (good)which may have been the best of the Cappadocia area. Food stops and city restaurants were quite good with choices of regional food which I enjoy! It was a happy adventure."
"Trip of a life time. Saw more than I expected. River cruises were especially nice. Getting off the Li river boat was much too crowded. Could give a little more free time."
"We had a wonderful tour - there were only 7 of us and 5 of those 7 were family members and the other two were very compatible. Our tour guide Ana was terrific - very knowledgeable, pleasant, helpful, funny, and courteous. The other onsite tour guides were also wonderful. Definitely will do a Smartour again!"
"In general we had a wonderful time with many thanks to our tour guide Renata. The sites we visited and the information that was shared with us by both REnata and the local guides was very much appreciated. A few minor issues. Though we had no difficulty with the walking aspects of the tour, a few of our fellow traveler who were "older" were not aware that there would be so much taxing walks up and down stairs and on cobbled streets. I suggest your brochure fore warn prospective travelers of this requirement. When we received final documentation we were advised that optional tours that we would sign up for with our tour guide would have to be paid in cash. I contacted the smartours office to express my concern for having to carry almost $1000 in cash in lieu of paying by credit card when we took your South Africa tour 3 years ago, I was informed that it the policy for the Eastern Europe tour to only accept cash. Lo and behold the first day of our actual tour Renata our guide informed us that we could sign up for optional tours and pay in cash or Credit Card. When I told her that we were advised we could only pay in cash she expressed surprise since Compass Travel for whom she works has always accepted credit cards for Smartours clients. You need to get your NYC team in sync with the folks who are actually conducting the tours for you. Many of the people on the tour shared our concern for having to carry cash when in fact your documentation advised us to be cautious of pick pockets!!!. I recommend that you change your policy and make it possible for travelers to use credit cards where ever."
"Tour director extended some of tours and we had very long days She is short walked fast and used her fold-up umbrella for us to follow Unfortunately she would take a turn and disappear in the crowd and the small umbrella was not visible There was too long between bathroom stops to and from Suzdal it was over five hrs to get there and she did not know buildings where our assigned rooms We had a map that was unclear and finally found an employee driving a golf cart around who showed us which of the seven buildings we were booked We had to take our checked luggage up the stairs in our bldg and one of the other tour travelers insisted on helping us up the stairs with the luggage Suzdal was very unique but not unique enough to take over ten hours round trip to ride. In Moscow tour director left meeting place with an inaccurate count and two women were left behind She didn't have anyone's cell numbers to call and we didn't have the listen of the other passenger's name The group finally realized which two women were not on the bus. She sent the local guide back to meeting place to find them. Neither the guide or traveler's knew what each other looked like"
"Total attention to detail. All very well scheduled. Went to the right places. Safe!"
"Our Eastern European trip this May with Renatta in charge was just outstanding, our 6th trip with SmarTours!! Everything was extremely well planned, we learned so much and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Thank you again Renatta and SmarTours for making sure we had so many wonderful experiences on this trip."
smarTours is rated 4.39 based on 741 reviews

Create Free Account Now

Fill the details below & get instant access