smarTours Reviews

84% of reviewers recommend smarTours

About smarTours: smarTours is a leading provider of direct-to-consumer, affordable travel experiences to exotic global destinations. The Company offers travelers curated, pre-packaged itineraries to over 40 destinations across the globe. By offering tours directly to consumers, the Company provides premium-quality experiences at value prices, and as a result, has cultivated a highly passionate and loyal community of repeat travelers. More than 200,000 travelers have taken a smarTours trip since the founding of the Company in 1996. smarTours is… the smarter way to see the world.

800-337-7773

info@smartours.com

545 Eighth Ave. Suite 2250
New York, NY 10018

How would you rate smarTours?

Joanne
"I have now been on the following tours with SmarTours: Morocco, Vietnam & Cambodia, India & Nepal, South Africa & Swaziland, Greece & Turkey. The hotels have been terrific, the food has been delicious, guides knowledgeable and helpful, and our fellow travelers interesting and lovely. Having the burden of navigation and transportation removed from the equation of traveling, has meant more relaxing, efficient, and rewarding trips. I’ve learned and experienced so much! I can’t imagine better trips!"
Catherine
"SmarTours Magical Ireland was a wonderful trip chock full of history, culture, geologic formations and spectacular scenery. Peter Murphy was masterful in his ability to share his love and deep knowledge of the Republic of Ireland Northern Ireland and to ensure that we experienced the countries in ways that were memorable. In looking back on the trip, I am amazed at how much we saw and did. We met and interacted with many interesting locals whose additional insights enhanced our underatanding. The accommodations were great and all went very smoothly. I loved every minute - Thank you Peter and SmarTours!"
Rosemary
"We took two Smartours to Italy and then on to Spain while we were in Europe thus saving transpotation costs and flight time to and from the US. Both trips were excellent with knowledgable tour guides and well planned tourists stops. Hotels were 4 or 5 star with tasty full breakfast menus. One of my favorite photos was from Barcelona where we visited the cathedral designed by Gaudi. He designed the stain glass windows to reflex streams of light throughout the church!"
"Great value. I found the lodgings were not 5 star hotels as advertised. A lot of down time. Guide would ask for our attention and then proceed to talking with someone or looking at a news article. I found this to be disrespectful. After awhile I just stopped giving my attention when asked because I knew it would be a good 5 - 10 minutes before he needed my attention. Saw a lot in a short period of time."
Posted 2 minutes ago
"Tour guide in Athens was exceptional. Key sites hit for an good view of the wonderful country oh Greece. I would have you note the fast pace and steep hills that are to be climbed if you want to see/do it all. I would re-consider the ship. Old, no place to sit out side to enjoy the scenery except noisy pool deck. Food good. Would have to think twice before taking such a large tour, 2 previous trips with others companies we 12 people."
Posted 4 minutes ago
"Very good except for the hygiene issues on the cruise ship."
Posted 8 minutes ago
"My trip to China was very well planned. The tour director, Harry, was caring, organized and fun. The hotels and food were very good. The tour was memorable."
Posted 22 minutes ago
"Excellent... our Guide Henry was so knowledgeable and gracious that he added so much more to the trip and the history of Egypt. All the hotels and the ship were beautiful. Big, clean rooms with helpful and friendly staff. Anyone interested in going to Egypt should do this tour."
Posted 22 minutes ago
"Our smarTours tour of South Africa, with an extention to Victoria Falls, was both wonderful and great value for the price. The people in our group were also amazing."
Posted 24 minutes ago
"Was disappointed in the amount of time spent on tours in each location. Tour director didn’t communicate effectively in English and was impatient and at times sarcastic. The dinners included were mostly mediocre restaurants and guests were served and expected to be in and out very quickly. There was more time spent traveling to each destination than actual touring time."
"Morocco was more than I expected! I did not realize there would be so many different environments --from mountains, forests, agricultural areas, cities, small towns and deserts! Our guide Khalid was outstanding. His organization and caring friendliness and support made the trip. 5 stars for him! I have been on 35 international trips and this was one of my favorites."
"Elvis and Cresse (sp) were a superb guide and driver. Loved every bit of the trip. Slovenia was a beautiful surprise."
"WONDERFUL. NO COMPLAINTS ACCOMENDATIONS WERE GREAT. OUR TOUR DIRECTOR SHAWN BARTNICK WAS THE BEST EVER. MEALS WERE DELICIOUS. I ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS ACTION PACK TOUR"
"Guides, location"
"Great guide. Paul really made the trip interesting. Nice hotels."
"The tour was wonderful and the guides were as well. Our guide Tia saw us through from our landing to departure even staying with us while we processed through Frankfurt to come home. The crew aboard the ship was great and the food was lovely. The boat however left a lot to be desired. You had to pay for Wi Fi and even with paying the service was sporadic. The shower was horrible flooding the floor of the bathroom with each use. Initially they passed out wash cloths upon request but into the second day refused any further requests. In short the Belle Jour needs some upgrades to rate five stars. Mary Turner"
"Hotel in Cairo was great, staff was helpful, courteous, food was great. Nile cruise was good, staff didn’t seem very knowledgeable except for the man who worked in the gift shop, he could answer any questions. The food was good but always the same and by the end of the third day was not as good. Room and all areas of boat were always clean and neat. Luxor hotel was good too, and everyone was nice. Our tour guide Sahar Hammad was wonderful, I learned so much about Egypt history. She was wonderful. Only problem was an elderly lady who traveled with our group who was alone and should have had a caregiver traveling with her. The responsibility fell to Sahar and that was not fair to her or the rest of the group. She was a demanding lady and very selfish. I don’t know how you could screen for those type of people but the rest of us were there for a vacation and not to cater to her demands and her always telling the rest of us she was old and we had to help her. She should have brought a caregiver. There was an elderly man there also who was traveling alone, but he was great. He knew his limitations and was appropriate in his choice of side trips we did. He was a joy. Overall trip was one of the best I’ve been on. Thank you for arranging the interesting and fascinating trip."
"Mr. Ma, Mark, was great."
"Portugal was definitely worth a visit. The hotels were first class and the breakfast buffets and food were delicious. I give our tour guide a six out of ten. She seemed not very tolerant when people talked among themselves or did not give her their undivided attention. On my previous trip in March, our South African guide Ron McGregor was so interesting, knew everything about the country, had a great sense of humor and took all of the travelers and their quirks in stride. He was just fantastic. I am already signed up for a tour of Costa Rica in December. I also wish that you would offer a Hawaiian Island hopping tour similar to the ones that I took in the Galapagos several years ago."
"Scandinavia Explorer tour guide, Alexander Koutsikopoulos was not at the same level as the other tour guides I've had with SmarTours. My two major complaints were: 1. He would withhold information when I asked him a question about the next days events and then he never posted an itinerary in the hotel lobby. 2. He didn't provide whisper listening devices for guided tours so it was nearly impossible to hear what the local tour guides were telling us. Alex blamed SmarTours for the lack of the listening devices. Also, this was a large group of 44 people and that's a lot of folks to lead around the world. Please consider offering smaller groups at a higher cost like GATE1 does with their DISCOVERY Tours."
"The tour director was not very well organized. In other tours we often had knowledgeable local guides but not on this tour. On other tours written instructions were provided at each hotel on the plans for the current and next day, but that was not done on this tour."
"It was a great trip. The guide was sensational! The only downside was the hotel in Reykjavick. Hotel room was much too small with no bathtub."
"Cruise Director (Galia) and guides were excellent. Tour was very interesting. However, people should be warned that this "river cruise" involves crossing the two largest lakes in Europe and rough water is a definite possibility. We have never taken a cruise because my wife has trouble with motion sickness. There was a serious storm when we crossed the second lake and despite medication, my wife spent 12 miserable hours. We also had an attack of what was probably norovirus which affected about 2/3 of the passengers. That also dropped the enjoyment factor. However the crew made every effort to help us. Unfortunately, Russian cuisine is not the best for queasy stomachs. Still, the parts that weren't miserable were interesting and enjoyable. I would recommend the trip to anyone who did not suffer from motions sickness, but doubt we will ever try another river cruise."
smarTours is rated 4.40 based on 122 reviews