smarTours Reviews

of reviewers recommend smarTours
Under an hour
Read smarTours Reviews

About smarTours:

smarTours is a leading provider of direct-to-consumer, affordable travel experiences to exotic global destinations. The Company offers travelers curated, pre-packaged itineraries to over 40 destinations across the globe. By offering tours directly to consumers, the Company provides premium-quality experiences at value prices, and as a result, has cultivated a highly passionate and loyal community of repeat travelers. More than 200,000 travelers have taken a smarTours trip since the founding of the Company in 1996. smarTours is… the smarter way to see the world.

800-337-7773

info@smartours.com

545 Eighth Ave. Suite 2250
New York, NY 10018

Tell us how smarTours made you happy
The tour was very busy and we saw a lot. There were quite a few dinners included which we liked. Our tour guide was ok but he did not post our itinerary in the hotels, nor did he see to it that we all knew what was going on. Sometimes we couldn't hear him in the bus. That was a little frustrating. But overall, the tour was "a lot of bang for the buck".
We had a good experience with the SmartTours. Good hotels, food and sight seeing. However , time provided was not adequate
Spain in June 2019. Good choices of sites, well planned. Hotels for the most part offered excellent services. Very knowledgeable tour guide (David) and willing to go out of his way help participants plan their free time. Thank you!
Tour manager was very knowledgeable and kind. Local guides were good also. Hotels-most were nice one under construction. Dinners that were included were acceptable except for one, no choice told we were having duck, had to complain about that and was given chicken. Nice that flight was included but to go to Helsinki was out of the way. Finding guides at airport was a problem not told what gate to meet at. We found bus before we found guide.
The tour and the tour guide in Russia was exceptional. What I was not so happy with is that the flights to Russia was cancelled and we were told not to go to the airport via voice mail and email. Some of the people who did not get the notices went to the airport and was able to get a flight via Swiss Air. Others lost a day waiting for the next day flights, When we got to the airport there was noone to greet us. We took a taxi to the hotel and the guide told us that she cannot reimburse us for the taxi cost even though we had a receipt but that we had to get it back from Smartours and you told us that you would not reimburse that and we would have to file a claim with the insurance company. What a SCAM!!!
Once again, two different prices for the same trip. Not GOOD!!! This is the second time that I am aware of this. How many of your VIP customers had a price that wasn’t YOUR best price! NOT RIGHT. I now have to second guess what I should be paying! Trips are terrific, both itinerary and service.
Positive guides, hotels etc. Optional tours absurdly expensive and not necessary. Enjoyed mix of major cities and excursions to beautiful and interesting venues.
Positive: Kenya -Tanzania Lodges, food, game-drives, driver/guides were all good Negative: Tipping for bags, dining room attendants, escorts, etc. was just too much (not dollar-wise, but to have ready cash available). SmarTours should include all tipping in the total price so that customers have a pleasant, cash-free experience throughout. Also, for those of us who took the Tanzania extension, there was no need to hop from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro. We could have gone there in just 4 hours on the road across the border. What a waste of time going through immigration, customs, security, check-ins etc.
Overall was ok. The highlight of the tour was Great Wall. But enough time was not given there.
3 great vacations; 3 great prices!
The Smartours representative, Renata, was excellent. Very knowledgeable. The hotel in Budapest I would rate 4/5. Hotels in Vienna and Prague were a little far from town so I’d rate them 3/5. My biggest complaint is with the company, not the tour. I don’t understand why they would not have told me that the tour started in Poland, not Budapest, where I joined the group?? I would definitely have joined the tour at the beginning. But I didn’t even know about that. Before I left I was even trying to arrange to go to Poland as an add on on my own. I went to Germany instead but I really wanted to see Poland. I was very disappointed to hear my group had been there before I arrived.
Great except that the Guiness outing was not what I expected. I thought how beer is made, NOT drinking early in the day...seemed strange.
We had a great tour leader, a bit of a sergeant major but sure knew his stuff. Could easily have missed the " shopping" at the end of the tour. Didn't buy things along the way as we were told everything we would want would be there at better prices. Not so, sure wish I had bought more along the way. Came home without some things I really would like to have as remembrances of the trip. Most accommodations were good, the hotel in Swaziland was a bit tired and the hotel room in Sandton was very tiny, no room to open a suitcase. Loved the trip.
I enjoyed Columbia, but I feel that I did not have enough free time to explore the cities. In the coffee country we were isolated on a resort with only one restaurant and the grounds for 3 nights. I understand that there isn't much out there, but I would have preferred to cut it short a day. Not any time alone in Bogota and very little in Medellin.
Our tour guide was really knowledgeable and lovely and made the experience so enjoyable! The choices of optional excursions were plentiful and interesting. I would have liked better hotels and the layover we had at the airport coming into Helsinki with nothing planned was not acceptable.
I took the June 19 - July 2nd tour this year. We had a wonderful tour director (Elvis). He has a great sense of humor, patience and his encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the area is admirable. He is quite an asset to SmarTours. The local guides were very good, the hotels good. A wonderful tour all around with great travel companions. The American Airlines flight from Prague to Philadelphia was the worst flight I was ever on in my long history of air travel. Nothing worked and the food was terrible.
Poor customer service. SmarTours received the $300 deposit check and cashed it on November 30, 2018, but claimed that the check was not received on December 6, 2018, and refused to do research. Misleading tour dates. SmarTours advertised tour dates as July 7 to July 19, 2019, but actual travel dates are July 8 to July 18, 2019. Two very tiring early morning departures to the airports. The visit to the World Heritage Site Borobudur Temple is too short. Tour Director Jack is excellent, hotels are great, meals are satisfying.
The tour guide was great. I enjoyed the stuff I saw. He picked great sites to take us to. I enjoyed the food. Did not like Jungle Vilas hotel. We passed so many better looking hotels it was hard to believe it was upscale. It seemed like we were the only guests and the hotel was way down a dusty road in the middle of nowhere. If I had wanted a safari I would have picked a different tour. Some of the places our guide took us to shop seemed a bit pricey. Yes, he was guaranteeing quality. But exploring on our own we found shops which displayed comparable reputation and goods at less expensive pricing. The so called farewell dinner was an absolute disaster. The selection of the restaurant and food was so bad we could have skipped it. In fact, that's the kind of dinner you take your guests to when you want to say "farewell, please don't come back again." If it wasn't for the guide, we'd be bad mouthing that part of the trip all over social media.
Our tour to Bali and Java with Smartours was very enjoyable and more relaxing than other destinations that we have traveled. Our tour director "Jack" spoke excellent English and was able to answer all of our questions. All of the hotels exceeded our expectations and probably had the best included breakfasts of any of the many guided tours we have taken. After seeing the somewhat chaotic traffic particularly in Java we were thankful to be in a comfortable motor coach with an experienced driver. Two highlights: the worlds largest Buddhist temple, Borobudur, was amazing at sunrise. Shortly after sunup the small crowd disappeared and we stayed long enough to have the massive temple to just the Smartours group to explore in detail. Secondly, the whitewater rafting optional tour near Ubud is not to be missed. Rafting in the tropical waters of Bali is so much more comfortable then the snow melt filled rivers of the Colorado Rockies.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would have liked more food options than the same "westernized" chinese food for every meal...some of us are more adventurous eaters and would like to experience different foods than we can get in America. The ear pieces worked well when the guide was using the microphone. Frequently though he'd move the microphone away from his mouth then close again. Consequently, we'd hear it too loud or not at all. It was hard to keep the volume adjustment on my ear piece at a comfortable level. Missed a lot of what was being talked about. Also at times the group got realy spread out and those of us at the back were out of range of the guide and didn't hear a thing. China's history is fascinating but only if we can hear it.
smarTours is rated 4.39 based on 1,075 reviews