Animal Friends Reviews

of reviewers recommend Animal Friends
Telephone, Live Chat, Email
Over A Week

Tell us how Animal Friends made you happy
We've been waiting for our claim to be dealt with for months now and meanwhile a second accident happened with our dog.
The first one happened when he injured his shoulder in the park when playing, the second one was a bite from a german shepherd, both with emergency treatment. It's been many months now and neither the first nor the second claim was dealt with. They constantly try to find excuses to procrastinate, first making it impossible to get the right form for the claim, then asking for details of the owner of the german sheperd who attacked. Now we are simply waiting and nothing is coming back, even though our vet sent the claim to them directly.
Absolutely disgusting. I can really picture the teams sitting in their offices and the manager giving instructions as to whether a claim will be successful or not based on their profit numbers that day.

obviously we will stop paying and leave the insurance, but we will terrorize them with emails and calls till they pay us the expensive accident treatments that they "claim" to cover in the insurance documents. and if they don't pay we will take legal steps.

don't spend your money to this unethical company and rather set aside a good amount of money into a savings pot. in the end the money is yours and if you need it you also have it available. this is what we did since we got our puppy and continued doing even after we decided to get insurance "just in case". turns out the insurance is absolutely useless!
Understand their jargon before committal. I thought I'd take out cheaper Insurance as we are pensioners. How wrong were we to go with Animal Friends!!! A £2100.00 vet cost for a cruciate ligament break, I have to pay £600 of that! Apparently, I have a 'Prime Policy' (I did not know that before) so for each condition, it is a max of £2000 pa with 20% off (you pay) and a excess you pay. Yes, the writing is there, but not explained in details as to what it means - Be very careful!!!
Always paid quickly via pawtal. Very happy.
I was with animal friends for 3 months when my cat got run down. I had only paid £15 to them in that 3 months but they paid out over £800 for treatment without any hassle or waiting, I was very grateful at such a worrying time. My premiums only went up £2 the following year, so far my experience with them is nothing but positive.
I was nearing the end of my years insurance with Animal Friends- having made no claims. My 9 YO Cocker Spaniel developed an ear infection in May 2020 which proved to be very resistant to any antibiotic. I assumed animal friends would pay on insurance so went along with the treatment. I put in a claim for just under £700 which included multiple antibiotics, steroids, ear flushes and 2 ear swabs etc. This was declined on the basis that Oscar had had an ear infection in 2016 (nothing since). Stating this was therefore an existing condition. I feel very let down. I understood an ongoing/existing condition to be just that. Still under treatment and still ongoing. NOT something that happened 4 years previously and was treated and cured. I am really disappointed as they have now put conditions on my insurance which effectively bars me from getting any other insurance. Shame on you Animal Friends. Not good at all.
I have been with Animal friends for 31/2 years. In the beginning there were no issues, always paid out at a reasonable time. Then payments started being reduced finding all sorts of reasons to cut paying. And now, well what can I say, it is absolutely disgusting. I constantly have to send repeated claims as they keep coming up with excuses such as , paperwork not filled in correctly or amount not correct then when they haven’t paid for a claim they ignore you. Even using the pawtal through the vets it’s exactly the same. I can’t go anywhere else now as my dog had diabetes and I won’t be able to insure him elsewhere. They should be ashamed of themselves

Stay well away from this appalling company
Avoid like the plague. They try anything to avoid paying out a claim. Definitely don't use these they are completely unscrupulous we tried to put a claim in last year for our Cavalier King charles spaniel who was diagnosed with enlarged heart. Our dog was 12 at the time. We should of enjoyed our last few months of his life instead of fighting and getting nowhere. They should not insure dogs of an elderly age but instead took our money without question. He was put on medication. You only contact your insurance company when you have to make a claim.

I would advise everyone to stay clear of this insurance company...
Unprofessional. Lying and deliberate procrastination lied to me and my vetinary practice cancelled three policies today!! Will try any thing not to pay out been with the m three years small claim. SAD. Capt. T.W. Davis
Our dog was insured for 2.5 years with them and they refused to pay out on an operation to remove a lump as it had been over one year from it first being noticed. The reason it wasn't dealt with straight away was that the vet told me to wait and see if it gets any larger. They then cancelled the policy basically saying we want nothing more to do with you.
AVOID, AVOID, AVOID & READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THOROUGHLY IF YOU DO BUY.

There are numerous points in the t&c's that could stop them paying out - beware!!

Mainly they don't cover Out Of Hours vets fees - unless the vet states it was a "life threatening condition" (after you've taken them in obviously and had a professional vet look at them). Owning a pet is 24/7 and so to put this clause in (and not highlight it in bold red letters when getting the quote) is quite simply not acceptable. Once the owner is aware that they won't cover out of hours ..... people will think twice to take their animal to the vets. People aren't experts and so how can they judge before they take them if it's "life threatening?

Also a lot relies on their own "vet expert" - so they may decide based on the vets notes not to pay out. This is also appalling - how can a vet expert sitting in an office decide against the vet who actually saw your animal decision?

Also that you need to phone for pre-authorisation if you think the bill might be over £1000 or again it could be refused.

I am going to submit a complaint to the Ombudsman as these terms and conditions are so unfair to the customer.
Charged me two lots of excess for one condition. Was told less cover than I actually had resulting in my cats death. DO NOT USE
Not even worth 1 star. Avoid at all costs! They have declined my claim and passed it off as “pre-existing” despite the fact my vets have provided them with a detailed report confirming the health issue my dog has developed is a new issue not related to anything he has had in the past. Can’t wait to see what FOS think of this!
Do not use animal friends insurance. I insured my dog with them for years on there supreme cover and when my dog became ill they have a lot of fine print in there 50 page contract that gets them out of paying. They have no interest in your pets wellbeing.
waste of money
You said my cat is pregnant cause she’s been fat with skinny legs for ten years now... then make me wait for a response when I’m “first in queue”..
scam!!!!
My 11 month old cockapoo was extremely ill, throwing up constantly. This was at midnight and i phonedvthe emergency vet. They were concerned and told me to bring her in. She was diagnosed with gastroenteritis, given a needle and medication. The bill was £315 which I paid and put the claim into animal friends. They paid me £39. I'm was shocked at this. The vet was afraid she would suffer dehydration so I spent the money thinking the insurance would pay most of it back. I'm going to cancel if they don't reconsider.
Extremely disappointed with this company having paid for insurance for two dogs for nearly 12 years with no previous claims.

They have refused to cover my dog's arthritis which was diagnosed in April this year because 4 years ago, when visiting the vet's for a routine appointment, I mentioned that she had a stiff leg.

Animal Friends have decided that her arthritis is therefore a previous condition and will not pay for any treatment.

My advice would be to avoid this company when choosing insurance for your pets.
Avoid this company if you want your pet.
Absolutely disgusting company. I had a mistake to take this company as my pet insurance. My dog had a wound last year which cause him bleeding and after a year he had bladder stone. Now they refuse my claim to say that the bleeding last year was related to the stone bladder this year,no sign of any problem regards to bladder happened last year, very shocking as my vet twice send them letter to clarify everything for them. please please avoid this company. they will just rub your money. I have spent £1,800 only for the check up and now I have to take my pet to charity clinic for his operation as he need it urgently and I can not afford because of this untrustworthy company. save your pet and your money
Terrible cancelled policy with this company today..shocking treatment said looking into my claim as had looked at my information and said i declared that my dog was a cross bread and says on info from my vets jack Russel (no. Hes a border jack Russel cross) and also said as i said he was small dog said in 2018 he was 12 kilo which makes him med size... he was really poorly and we got directed to out of hours on a Saturday dog was in quite distress could not leave him all weekend...would not pay that cost... as previous person dog was muzzled as he had to go in on his own due to lock down. Vet he was not used to choosing to muzzle. They then said wanted me to give them info on how his behaviour was out of vets with orher dogs/people... and any incident against him..CHEEK. in the end my bill for £246 they awarded me £16. I phoned and cancelled there and then and like many more on this site will be going back to another more Known Better insurance company.. Avoid these people they are not bothered when you ring and cancel as others have said.
CON - DO YOU USE!

I have been with this company for both my cats for a few years and renewed faithfully each year. They randomly put the policy price up for one of my cats despite them being no older and equally healthy and when I asked why they gave no reason just basically just said 'deal with it'.

We have just had one of our cats injure her mouth and break her tooth requiring surgery at a cost of nearly £600. Asked Animal Friends to pay out and they refused because they 'don't cover any dental work' (listed waaaaaaaaay down in the fine print along with many many other exclusions that basically covers everything you would reasonably claim for). What is the point of having insurance if they don't cover something as simple as this? I could imagine if she needed cleaning of something, fair enough but for an injury to her mouth which broke a tooth and needs surgery? That's basically the entire point of what any decent insurance should pay out for.

Spoke to customer service and was responded to by them repeating that it's not covered and giving no explanation as to why when I was spending so much on an inflated 'superior' policy. This was an accidental injury suffered by my cat, needing surgery, and should have been covered.

I am disgusted with this company and suggest you take the care of your pets elsewhere as this is a company that simply does not care about them and will most certainly let you down when you need them the most.

If you are with them I advise you to change providers now while you can.

Also if you want a genuine look at the reviews for this place, look to Google as TrustPilot is filled with artificial ones for them to plaster over their website. Don't trust any of them.
Exceptionally rude patronising customer service women. Made no attempt to help me shw made my decision to cancel with them an easy. I was only ringing regarding a renewal
Animal Friends is rated 1.80 based on 415 reviews