Animal Friends Reviews

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
Over A Week

Tell us how Animal Friends made you happy
DO NOT USE IF YOU VALUE YOUR PET
This has got to be the WORST insurance you can take out - 1st time I have had pet insurance and this company exploited this. AVOID AT ALL COSTS - Mis-sold and misinformed on this policy. Spoken to Danielle (who is a perfect employee of what this company is - useless) today whom when I cancelled the policy with failed to tell me when the policy cancellation comes into effect - Luckily I asked when did the DD get paid and she replied 5 days ago. Yes I paid 5 days ago for the month and she cancelled today without advising that I paid on the 4th for the whole of the month - treating cutomers fairly? I do not think so - failed to pay a claim - hard to get hold of and finally when the claim gets put in it gets declined. Please do not use these and look after your finances and your beloved pet.
Fuming. Refusing to pay my claim for the emergency vet as my cat had "suspected dyspnoea" which they are saying is related to fits & seizures. She has exclusion on my policy as she has epilepsy but this was not seizure related as my own vet confirmed on her follow up visit to them. Avoid at all costs!!
I have been with Animal Friends for many years who provided cover for my two German Shepherds. Recently one of my dogs had to undergo an exploratory procedure which cost £1,000. The vet submitted the claim on my behalf. After a couple of weeks I sent an email to Animal Friends enquiring as to what progress had been made. Eight days later I received a response which was asking me to provide security details to reassure them that they were corresponding to a genuine customer. I provided the necessary information. Two days later they informed me that they were still awaiting a breakdown of costs from my vet. I contacted the vet who assured me that they would take immediate follow-up action. The following week I contacted Animal Friends yet again. The following day they replied stating that my vet had still not responded! On speaking to the vets for the second time they assured me that the initial claim included a full breakdown of costs. They then took up the case on my behalf and gave the Insurance Company both barrels. The following day, Animal Friends contacted me stating everything was now in order (which was the case from the outset) and payment would be paid shortly. I was horrified to learn that their total payment was only £320. They explained that under their Ts & Cs, (dogs being over 8 years of age, together with maximum payments permitted) I wasn’t entitled to anything further. Like other customers on this forum, they had me over a barrel. I cancelled policies for both dogs. The following month they had the audacity to send me letters informing me that I had failed to meet the premium payment. Devious practices, exacerbated by complete and utter incompetence has made me bitterly regret doing business with these sharks.
Worst insurance company I've ever had the misfortune to come across. Got out of every claim with one of my boxers, and when we lost her last week unexpectedly, they showed zero compassion and are being awkward about paying a percentage for the loss.
Raised my premium by 40% this week.
I am leaving.
Read the reviews!
Just don't bother. So upset my claim is rejected. All legitimate. I get my dog checked for everything I am concerned about & pay in full. Then when I need to claim on an operation the small print denies a claim. I don't mind paying my bills but why pay insurance when you cannot claim back. I will never use this company again. Try phoning or emailing & NO response. Go elsewhere can't tell you how upset I feel.
Will be changing
Lots of loopholes to avoid paying out
Animal friends provide a disgraceful service and I would strongly recommend pet owners to avoid them at all cost. They are excellent at creating loopholes to avoid making payments and their complaints department is useless, arrogant and rude. Hopefully all these bad reviews will eventually lead to them being put out of business.
As with most of the reviews posted, I have found Animal Friends to be an extremely poor provider of pet insurance. I strongly recommend pet owners to seek insurance elsewhere as you would not find a worse service than the one they provide. They will do everything in their power to find any loophole to avoid making payments. The complaints department is useless, arrogant and rude. Hopefully all these bad reviews will eventually lead to this disreputable company going out of business.
Terrible service does not pay out for anything misleads you with their policies have not paid out like they should stay away from them not worth one star
I tried to claim last year for gastroenteritis and was told it was pre existing and refused to pay anything. After reading these reviews, I'm thinking of cancelling.
Calling a car accident a "pre existing condition" is neither truthful nor honest. For people that want cheap insurance there is "animal friends" for REAL life there is the Ombudsman who can hopefully get this skinflint company to pay out! Do NOT use them, pay a bit more and actually get a service....
Would not recommend this company Find any excuse not to pay out .Took my first cat for minor problems like diarrhea,upset tummy.When I made a claim they tried to link it with the previous vet visits Even the vet wrote in the end to say they were not linked.Now received a letter for my second cat to say the insurance has gone up a lot plus we have to.psy even more up front if we claim.Our cat to old to insure any where else or I would if moved years ago Friends and even a vet have said animal friends will find any excuse not to pay.Have canceled my policy because what's the point if I have to find most of the bill.Wish I had listed to or looked at reviews before
Yes, if your pet does more than breathe before you took out your policy it will be “a pre existing condition or clinical sign” don’t be fooled.... I only gave 1 star so I could leave a review, a minor cough, some minor diarrhoea, minor ear infection, common urinary infection, bout of sickness, a limp....they will literally find any excuse to not pay out... apparently they’ve advised me you have to tell them every time you have been to the vets which isn’t part of their annual vaccination? They will then add a clause to your policy that anything! And I mean anything linked to that vet visit isn’t covered.... so a cough, diarrhoea, sickness...you name it, they won’t for example cover ‘digestive’ related problems in the future. Now I’m a reasonable person, I have 4 dogs and have only ever made a claim on pet insurance twice in ten years (obviously NOT with this ridiculous company) my dog who’s nearly ten had a common UTI over 6 months ago which cleared up after 3 days with antibiotics, no issues since, she was rushed in as an emergency 6 months later as she couldn’t urinate, she had surgery which removed 50 tiny stones from her bladder, an overnight stay and a bill of £2500.... very relieved to say she’s doing great! However they are trying to link a common UTI which occurs commonly in older female dogs and is stated in veterinary research that a uti can be a sign but cannot be solely relied upon to diagnose bladder stones... I have undertaken much research and sought advice from numerous vets who confirm a common uti could not be linked to these bladder stones 6 months later without her suffering some sort of urinary issues during the past 6 months, it’s not possible.... my advice is, if you are considering changing your policy to this company do not expect them to pay out if your beloved pet unfortunately needs veterinary treatment because they scrutinise your pets medical history and find something to link it to. I can’t bare to think how many pets have suffered and been put down due to this unscrupulous companies decisions and heartbroken owners who can’t afford to pay because they won’t cover the cost... don’t do it! I have made a complaint to the financial ombudsman, which by the way costs you nothing and is easy to do, however due to the current climate this may take some time.... I have one of the more expensive lifetime policies which obviously means nothing, I’ve made my complaint to them and they have given their ‘final decision’ so the battle goes on..... Just don’t do it please!
they dont deserve even one star, absolute rubbish, please dont buy insurance with them.
PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THIS ORGANISATION THE SATISFACTION OF TAKING YOUR MONEY. !!!!!! Confronted with why have you told lies to me and my vet.! After weeks of so called investigation they just shut down communication!!!!!!!! They really are the most unprofessional company to deal with and as may people have testified to. I say again please please do no use this organisation. Or do so and join this for
Forum at a later date Capt. T.W Davis
hidden deductions
I accept an excess payment, which is standard for insurance claims
But "co-payment"?
Sounds so cuddly, but just another way of getting money from people
Would not use them again
I have 5 dogs insured with animal friends and recently one seemed to have a sore throat as it was coughing. At the vets it was found to be a heart problem. I had to answer lots if questions about the dogs history. They questioned the breed if dog, they say he is a jack russell, he is in fact a multi breed, all my dogs are, and most if them related in some way. Ages between 5 and 11, always with same vet, annual checkups, no other medical issues. Its now nearly 3months and still no decision on payout.
Awful, deceitful company, who has no interest in your pet. Our beloved dog Max was diagnosed with Nasal cancer, and Animal Friends declined any costs towards Chemotherapy, and also wouldn't contribute to a Ct.scan prior to diagnosis. We paid for everything. Unfortunately our beautiful boy passed away, on 22nd September 2020, which was heartbreaking, they refused to pay for Euthanasia and also for the cremation, saying it wasn't covered..previously another instance, they deducted all their 20% and any excess, and sent 80pence..for a £300 bill.
Find a good insurance company for your pets, your wasting your money on animal friends, they certainly are not your pets friend, they really dont care.
We've been waiting for our claim to be dealt with for months now and meanwhile a second accident happened with our dog.
The first one happened when he injured his shoulder in the park when playing, the second one was a bite from a german shepherd, both with emergency treatment. It's been many months now and neither the first nor the second claim was dealt with. They constantly try to find excuses to procrastinate, first making it impossible to get the right form for the claim, then asking for details of the owner of the german sheperd who attacked. Now we are simply waiting and nothing is coming back, even though our vet sent the claim to them directly.
Absolutely disgusting. I can really picture the teams sitting in their offices and the manager giving instructions as to whether a claim will be successful or not based on their profit numbers that day.

obviously we will stop paying and leave the insurance, but we will terrorize them with emails and calls till they pay us the expensive accident treatments that they "claim" to cover in the insurance documents. and if they don't pay we will take legal steps.

don't spend your money to this unethical company and rather set aside a good amount of money into a savings pot. in the end the money is yours and if you need it you also have it available. this is what we did since we got our puppy and continued doing even after we decided to get insurance "just in case". turns out the insurance is absolutely useless!
Animal Friends is rated 1.80 based on 415 reviews