OVO Energy Reviews

of reviewers recommend OVO Energy

Tell us how OVO Energy made you happy
Great website and easy to use - excellent pricing
Excellent customer service and good prices for their 100% green energy tariff
Fantastic company so far. Very pleased to have left Scottish power for my energy bills.
So far so good, very efficient set up and clear, transparent notifications on account usage. Recommended.
Customer service is non existing . After sending several e mails and trying to get an answer on the phone with no luck I would not recommend OVO energy to anyone . I know people are working from home and have allowed for that but not one reply yet
We've been with OVO for a number of years. However last year, after a switch to a smart meter, we found our bills became very high. I'm a physicist so I did some tests on our side of the meter and things didn't look right so I ask OVO to review our meter. OVO's customer service was so poor we ended up at the Ombudsman who upheld our poor customer service complaint.

During the whole process, we could get a single person at OVO to take ownership of the problem, and promises that it would be escalated to management were broken. We are now leaving OVO as the metering problem has still not been addressed.

OVO has grown considerably and they are highly dependent on their automated systems. This is a problem when things go wrong.

OVO are at the cheaper end of the market and like everything in life you get what you pay for.
Tried to raise our direct debit for gas & electric from £45 to £105. When we complained we received a very short reply which was very unsatisfactory. I then switched to another company & they then phoned me & said I was on the wrong tariff & all sorts of discounts. Needless to say "to bloody late".
As a customer in receipt of disability benefit my income is quite rightly: the minimum the government has assessed is needed for me to live on.

Therein, obtaining maximum value for money on my utility bills is vital.

After joining OVO Energy on the recommendation of freinds & family & the 'Which?' Award, I signed up to their lowest tariff.

A year later this expired without my knowledge & OVO failed to tell me.

My account had switched to the standard rate & subsequently began to accrue a debt.

OVO allowed this to continue in this state for nearly 8 months by which time the account became £160 in the red. I only became aware of this when I applied for a Smart Meter to be installed.

OVO reviewed the account & without notice, put my monthly direct debit up 60%!!

So that is twice they breached regulations & thirdly, they lied to me on the phone by telling me the new amount reflected my increased usage.

In fact, their computer had factored the debt into the equation aswell.

I explained to them that I was unable to afford the new payments & that I had applied for the 'Warm Home Discount' - (the Winter Fuel Allowance equivalent) for people on low incomes & that this would help pay off the majority of the debt.

They then threatened me with installing a pre-paid meter & referred me to a scheme they run in conjunction with the Citizens Advice Bureau, which checks your eligibility before awarding their charitable funds to clear the debt.

I duly applied & was told OVO were taking longer than usual to approve applications.

Unbelievably, the government approved my Warm Home Discount in the meantime & OVO illegally applied it to the debt!

2 months later & surprise, surprise - there is still no word of their fund award & I now have nothing to help me with my winter fuel costs.

AVOID OVO AT ALL COSTS!!
Smart meter IHD stopped working about 6 weeks after installation. I accepted I couldn’t expect much action during lockdown but since then..... I have lost count of the emails and phone calls made. I am sent a list of questions which I answer and am told response within 5 days which doesn’t happen. Have to start again with phone call to someone who can’t deal with anything so pass it on and tell me response 24-48 hours. Then it’s back to list if questions, my answers and 5 day wait that doesn’t resolve anything. I think the only solution is to change supplier
The customer service was horrible. They made me feel belittled and spoke to me like I was stupid. We're not even customers with them and we wont ever be. I cant believe how rude and unhelpful they have been. Its horrific.
Don't waste your time even considering this useless company go elsewhere. Smart meter stopped working May 2020 and they have still not even acknowledged there is a problem despite e-mails and phone calls. Sent me a check list to see if they could identify the problem which would have been fine except they sent it for the wrong type of meter-you couldn't make it up! Was promised a resolution by July 6th and still waiting. Stop using Covid as an excuse for your incompetence and fix my meter to stop estimated bills.
Avoid this company we hado nothing but problems they Estimate your bills even to when they had people reading the meter they put your direct payments up I just been told by a customer servive that made readers have only been read twice in the last two years The smart meters don't work . I can tell you the amount of time we have rang ovo And my husband has read the meters sent phone in of the meters abd still estimated bills How do company's get away with this .My husband works Harpsden and I'm just getting over a heart attack so don't need this stress. They told me that the meter readers are third party and they make mistakes they always told me that I have the wrong meter and could I take a picture of the meter I came of the phone in disbelief wondering how many more people are being treated this this .please don't use this company not unless in want a nightmare
We were forced to transfer to OVO after the collapse of Economy Energy. Our initial dual fuel offer from them was £75 pcm. A few months later it was increased to £117. We recently received info on their app saying our annual usage suggested electricity would cost £18,000 p.a! Kayty, from OVO admitted this was an error. Another member of staff, Erikah, informed us we had not been charged for electricity as there was a read dispute which had now been resolved, and we now owed them over £400 for unpaid electricity usage. We had received no information about this and had been giving monthly meter readings and paying our direct debit. We are trying to transfer away from OVO as we have lost all confidence in any figures/information that are presented to us by their ever changing 'team'. They do not deserve one star but this is the lowest available option
The worst energy provider I have ever seen.
Avoid them !!!!!
They charge the highest rate on the market.
For example, the normal electricity rate on the market is £0,15 but they charge me £0,22, which is 50% more expensive.
Their stupid strategy is just to catch the costumers and charge them extra cost, which is good for them but not for us.
Please do not use this company, they have the MOST awful customer service. They promise cheap energy and then continually increase your direct debits as they say you are in arrears! Their website is deliberately confusing and your metre readings never tally with the usage graphs. Please please do not use OVO ever!!!!
Would never, ever recommend OVO Energy. We had a direct debit which they kept automatically updating. It was the same for about a year, and almost as soon as we cashed in the +£100 we were in credit, they increased our direct debit from £75 to £120. We managed to battle them back down to £90 but still thought it was an enormous price change given that our usage levels were only ever so slightly higher than the previous year. They refused to see eye to eye with us and then left us with a bill of almost £200 at the end of our time, and refused to let us switch without paying it in full. Absolutely astounded that as a customer who'd paid on time by DD every month, they could treat so badly. Never, ever use OVO Energy.
nope! Just spent 5 minutes signing up putting all my address, name, phone number, date of birth and license numbers in PLUS my credit card information to be told "We're not taking on new customers right now."
Okay great, well now some random company has all my details...perfect! SCAM!
In addition to my problem the customer services are rude and shouting on me.
Direct debits drop one month then shoot up the next. Cant get any useful help from customer services. They can become very threatening and unpleasant.
Where to start?
1. Engineering is disgusting..they outsource the work to firms with no people- 6 months for an engineer to fix broken meter equipment.
2. It broke again? (within 4 weeks)- Sorry hit the back of the queue."will be months"
3. leaving this company?- good luck getting any balance back. left in January-- still waiting!!
4. Customer service..hahaha. have made 30-40 calls -- read above for results.

I have had complaints upheld by the Ombudsman, have been bounced around 10's of Ovo employees and provided with endless problems.
as another example...OVO have continued to take DD money when I have left and hold hundreds of pounds on account.

---In summary---
If you:
- enjoy above average prices without access to engineering support,
- are looking for chronically poor customer service
- want to fight for your money in excess balance (£600) months after leaving.
&
you dislike yourself....Then OVO Energy are the company for you!!
OVO Energy is rated 1.69 based on 29 reviews