SSE Reviews

of reviewers recommend SSE

Tell us how SSE made you happy
rubbish supplier
Please avoid this company . It has been a nightmare and so stressful . Have called numerous times and wait for hours for response . Have sent complaint mails and no response now going to ombudsman. They are cute you charging my husband for electricity in a flat he does not live in as they put the wrong number of apartment I. The block we moved into .so we are paying for the flag we live in and the one they set up incorrectly despite them acknowledging their mistake . So they are knowingly trying to extort money rather than refunding as they promised . They are committing fraud . They also got my personal details and have sent me a keyed despite me never sharing my data so a GDPR breach as well . You are a joke see the in court for fraud and breach of personal data. Please please do not use this company .
I have never seen a worst company and a worst Customer Service. In December I submitted my meter reading and I received a bill more than £500. I checked the meter reading and it sent wrong by me. I started calling the customer service and I have been calling the customer service for at least 10 times in nearly 2 months. I have been providing 4 more meter readings and an email with a picture of my meter. I have been told we will set up your meter reading and sort it out. Nothing has happened yet. I received a legal warning note and that is not right. I have asked to send an engeenier and check my meter as the meter is outside the property the engeneer does not have to come inside the property but nobody is coming. You
They are forcing me to pay for gas I have never used instead of helping me! The customer service is not even recording my story and every time I have to repeat my self. Instead of helping customers they are ignoring, sending legal warning and doing nothing to help. This company is psychologically abusing me and the stress that this matter is haveing on my life is huge.
Have phoned 3 times ended up in the Philipines with no result.Have filled in an online complaint form...no reply..E mailed head of customer comlpaints.....no reply..What do you have to do to get service.
This company is worthless and one star is to much for their staff. They are too rude and they don't know what to do. They will overcharge customer. I won't recommend this provider.
This supplier is not even worthy of 1 star to be honest. The staff are absolutely rude and have no knowledge of how to deal with an emergency. My family have been told we will have to sleep in the cold all night by 3 members of staff because my meter read £1 so it means that we are not in an emergency and an engineer could only come out if it was on £0. Another member of staff hung the phone up on me and had an awful attitude. It has been an appalling service from the moment I moved into my new home. I will be changing supplier and would never recommend them.
We have a pay as you go meter and our gas card wouldn't work so got in touch with sse turned out we needed a new meter, they didn't mess about changing the meter, we had to phone sse to get a new card so followed their instructions a few days later as we had enough emergency credit but the card was coming up invalid at the shop so had to come back home to ring them yet again, we was told that they had phoned and sorted it out with a shop a bit further away and that we could top the gas card up straight away, got to the shop only to be told they don't do that card and no one from see had been in touch with them, tried phoning them about 6pm but with it being a Saturday they close at 5pm, now we are stuck without being able to buy any gas, have to wait until they open in the morning and we have health conditions where the cold effects us big time.
All the wasted time and fuel for nothing.
To start with, I have been transferred without been asked from Spark Energy to SSE. Since everything would remained the same, i was keen to give a chance and see how it goes. All good, till i asked for a refund of the positive 600£ balance which i am entitled and paid for. Since then, they have put me into a labyrinth of asking again and again foto of the readings and then finding any excuse not to refund the money 2,5 months now, I've never had such an experience with any other company and it's safe to say that they are playing with people's honest money. I've never seen a delay when they take the 100£ every month but when it comes to a rightful refund they drive you into a faceless labyrinth with emails hiding. Shame.
Moved house, and they have tried to charge me for the 5 days prior to owning my house, I contacted they they told me not to worry it would be sorted, then on Xmas eve, they have sent me a debt collectors letter. Absolutely disgraceful company! Would never consider this company again.
After my British Gas Homecare cost kept rising I tried SSE. The first problem was the engineer didn't turn up to conduct an initial inspection having already cancelled the first appointment.

After complaining I was given a sincere apology and it was put to bed.

My annual inspection comes around and I get a call from Lanarkshire Gas. I thought perhaps SSE were a bit busy so began outsourcing. The female engineer was polite and told my wife "a part needs to be replaced but it's not urgent, they're just doing it on all boilers".

Within a week or so the boiler began losing pressure. I noticed a leak coming from the boiler so re-pressurised it and phoned SSE. They were quick enough to action the job and said someone would be in touch shortly...which I thought was weird.

An individual phoned from a mobile and came out within the hour. He said to my wife "so you have no hot water"...errr no. Anyway, he did some work but was so quick to leave my wife didn't catch the full explanation. Luckily he phoned me in advance of the appointment so I telephoned him and ask if he had fixed everything. He explained he found the leak, repaired it and re-pressurised the boiler. He claimed not to know about the last visit or "replacement part".

I came home a few hours later and my wife advised the boiler kept ticking off. I tried to reset it and it indeed kept switching off.

I phoned SSE again and was told someone would be in touch within 24 hours. This was 5pm at night and I have two children under 3. I explained this wasn't acceptable, ask to speak to someone or be put through to complaints but nothing could be done. The female explained she'd email for a manager callback.

I phoned the engineer back on his mobile and he explained he needs a job to be issued to come out.

He eventually got the job, came out and fixed a clogged part.

Turns out SSE no longer have any engineers. They farm the work out to sub contractors who have no record of previous visits or problems. Their complaints line is supposed to be open from 8am to 8pm but is not and you'll always be told to wait up to 24 hours regardless of the issue. The call handlers cannot put you through to anyone and it is pot luck who turns up at your door.

Granted I didn't have to wait that long but who knows what is happening with the replacement part or what records are kept about my boiler. Avoid.

ps I'm still waiting on the management callback.
Firstly, I do not complain about matters like this but I had to leave a review somewhere. I moved into my 2 bedroomed flat in August 2019, this being my first property I hadn't looked much into electric so picked the one that my estate agents recommended. I was forced to pay £270 for three months electric. After multiple phone calls to reduce the cost.....only down to £230, the next month's bill was the same amount. I phoned up to complain again and got it reduced. SSE then went on to increase the price to make up for their lose the previous month making it up to £310. After multipe phone calls again got it reduced to £280. I then tried to leave the company whilst only having one month's worth of electric I have been charged £270 again! For one month! I have phoned them up and got nothing but abuse chucked at me and have been told I have been under charged for my electric in the past 9 months! I have been forced to pay out well over £1000 on electric for a 2 bedroomed flat that I only spend 1 day off in and 3-5 hours on and evening using electric.

The company constantly harassed me with hundreds of letters about debt collection whilst I was trying to get costs reduced.

The team members that I dealt with were all absolutely useless to say the least.

All in all I would give them 0 stars but I cannot. The worst decision in my life.
worst company to deal with ( if you can ever get through on the phone ) i need my money back i am in credit after leaving sse , i am in hardship paying my morgage and they have kept me waiting
over 2 weeks ( the longer they keep your money the more interest they make ) its no excuse nowadays as money can be refunded instantly .
so now i am going through ofgem as the rule is
If you are owed a refund from an old supplier after switching away it should be paid within ten days of receiving a final bill – otherwise you are entitled to automatic compensation of £30.

SO THATS WHAT IM DOING AND MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT ..
Minus Stars not One!!!

It would appear one of the Big Six, now OVO have paid off so many customer service staff (the companies only redeeming feature) - to further feather the nest of their investors and Tory donor owner, whoms personal wealth has just taken and abnormal boost due to this take-over - speaking to someone is a thing of the past! Citing as they do their prioritising the vulnerable. The irony in this, we are all vulnerable to them, not to mention this Crisis being used to allow them to make more profit by cutting costs.

It does make one wonder why we run around switching supplier only to find the company we have chosen is either in bed with or is secretly owned by one of the Big Six.

Additionally, OVO's Standing Charge is rather high - making us pay for equipment we must have to facilitate the very service itself. In other words these vicious privateers will pay for nothing and we must pay for everything - including their damn yachts!

Finally, switching from SSE has proved difficult historically, as they deliberately drag their heels so as not to lose money unnecessarily. Moving my father, my mother-in-law, spouse and son have all followed the same pattern - NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE to get away from the grasping sods.
Minus Stars not One!!!

In 2018 I suffered a fire in my mains fuse . cupboard. SSE blamed the load of my storage heaters and therefore me. SSE took two years to replace a red hot 100 amp glass fuse with a cold porcelain fuse to render my thatched cottage safe. SSE do not understand the reason for the glass fuse overheating. They still blame the customer for a high load. However with the help of my MP KIT MALTHOUSE MINISTER OF STATE, I am forcing SSE in conjunction with the fuse suppliers - Lucy of Oxford and Busman - to research and bench test the glass and porcelain fuses to determine their safety and overheating potential. Meanwhile thousands of high load customers are living on a tinderbox in cold weather if they have the glass fuse.
WARNING BEWARE FIRE HAZARD.
I recently had sse's second generation smart meters installed with a new tracker. And after it was installed I was told by the engineer that the gas on the tracker would appear in about 24 hours. 3 days later nothing. So ended up phoning them which was fine and was told they would sort it out.. Next day still nothing so phoned them again. And was told this time that it was the manufacturer that needed to provide them with a fix (UPDATE) and that there was nothing they could do and no indication when that update would be applied. So my thoughts are that SSE are just useless. Kind of pointless giving customer's new gear that doesn't work..
Not good very expensive
Disgraceful, Unethical company that preys on vulnerable people

In Oct 19, I placed an order for broadband. I lawfully recorded the call in which we agreed the start date. I made it clear I have a life-threatening medical condition. I also stated I require all comms in large print.
Following cancellation, the company sent me a barrage of small-print letters it knew I could not read. Since there was no need for contact, I wrote to head of complaints asking them to cease contact. Meanwhile, I received a threatening letter telling me I still had to pay all bills!
In response, I made a subject access request on Nov 19 asking for the contract that serves as the legal basis for any charges they planned to generate. They never responded thus breaching their statutory obligations under the DPA.
Yesterday I came home from a hospital appointment to find a demand from SSE for payment within 7 days! SSE has generated a demonstrably fraudulent bill since I don’t have a router or a land telephone and they haven’t been able to provide a contract between us (because there is none, since I cancelled).
As a direct result of SSE’s behavior, my condition has deteriorated and I have stared suffering seizures. I have also had to stop the potentially life-extending treatment I was on because my doctor advises it cannot be used in the presence of heart palpitations – which I have suffered since receiving the fraudulent bill. So SSE is literally putting my life at risk.
SSE staff are happy to lie and mislead customers in the full knowledge I am recording the call. My evidence proves my case unequivocally and I am confident the Ombudsman will find in my favour, but meanwhile SSE is going to keep demanding money and adding late charges, potentially ruining my credit rating.
What a way to treat a vulnerable customer. SSE is an utter disgrace. Die to the extenuating circumstances, even Ofcom has intervened – they don’t generally get involved in complaints but they have instructed SSE to stop harassing me.
Please, stay away from this dishonest, unethical company and if you do have dealing, record all calls. It is lawful so long as you tell the at the outset you are recording. I thank god I had the foresight to record all calls
I have provided the Ombudsman with full medical evidence to back up my claim
Disgraceful, Unethical company that preys on vulnerable people

In Oct 19, I placed an order for SSE broadband. I lawfully recorded the call in which we agreed the start date. I made it clear I have a life-threatening medical condition. I also stated I require all comms in large print.
SSE subsequently cancelled my order for reasons unknown and failed to resolve the matter to my satisfaction. So, I cancelled well within the 60-day Happiness Guarantee, which states you can cancel free of charge. I never took possession of a router and do nit have a land phone.

I have provided the Ombudsman with full medical evidence to back up my claim

SSE engages in fraud to intimidate people into paying money they do not owe
very expensive, the quote that they will give will be changed the next month
avoid if is possible ...
Just got my annual report and used the figures to get a quote from here - and initial increase of some £13 per month from SSE which I know from experience will increase after a while. Im with Bulb and am currently £100 odd in credit with them.
ENOUGH SAID.