B&Q Reviews

B&Q have a Customer Happiness Grade of E. Customers love their prices but are unhappy with their returns process and refunds. Full Insights

26% of reviewers recommend B&Q

Home And Garden

Courier, Own Driver
Over a week

How would you rate B&Q ?

"We ordered a kitchen from B&Q . Base units only available and upper cabinets, doors etc due on 20th September- over a month later. Received a text the day before delivery stating no delivery now until 26th September. They’ve delivered 2 kitchen unit doors on 10th September and one door arrived by courier today! Really upset and would not have ordered from B&Q if I’d known. They really need to sort the production and delivery as there seems something is fundamentally wrong with the process"
"Ordered a kitchen in June for a September delivery, giving B&Q 3 months to get themselves organised. We were also offered 0% interest so we decided to split the costs over 3 years. Roll on September, the B&Q truck arrived only to discover the worktops had been crossed off the order. Unbelievable! B&Q didnt even bother to inform us the solid worktops we purchased had been discontinued. No, instead they thought it would be a nice surprise to allowed us to rip out our old kitchen and deliver the new kitchen minus the worktops. Bet yet they still delivered the Zenith worktop fitting kits and under-mount sink! Anyhow, after several calls to B&Q customer services we were told the internal curved worktop section had been discontinued and we'd need to chose an alternative worktop. As we wanted a solid worktop we refused the laminate alternative they were desperately pushing on us. B&Q were now telling us we couldn't have the solid worktop and the next best option was natural stone. The natural stone worktops were roughly £2k more than the Zenith stuff and as its made to measure it would take weeks to order/deliver. B&Q basically left us in a situation where we had no usable kitchen and were offering no alternatives other than a refund. B&Q customer services instructed us to go back to our local store and speak with the deputy manager. We did as they asked only to be told over and over it wasn't the stores fault and there's nothing he could do other than refund the finance firm for the worktops. Eventually he promised a call back later that day and come up with a solution. Surely enough we got the call and surprisingly they'd now managed to source the missing worktop! It had been ordered on an express delivery to arrive in 5 days. So we apologised to the joiner and rescheduled him for the day after the expected delivery. Roll on another 4 days and we took a call from B&Q informing us the worktops weren't coming tomorrow, instead they would be delivered the following month (29 days later than promised). After many more heated telephone calls we eventually got through to the local store manager who provided us with some 'free' temporary laminate worktops until the solid worktop is supposedly delivered next month. Time will tell. Also, we discovered B&Q are the only suppliers of Zenith factory cut curved worktops. You can of course cut/curve them yourself but you require an expensive jig template and its not something i'd like to tackle despite fitting several DIY kitchens. Not impressed with the way B&Q handled this. A simple call to inform us the worktops werent available and we would have held off pulling out our old kitchen and the whole situation could have been avoided. The 'not our fault' attitude that followed from B&Q was the icing on the cake. Will not be using B&Q for kitchens or bathrooms unless they're available to take from store."
"Bought Cooke and Lewis equinox shower from them. 2 year on thing can not supply any spare parts, and do not know off any company that wil. They still stock shower so I will need to buy complete shower again."
"Good prices beating all othet competitors. Any problems with purchase never a problem. Bought dewalt grinder 4206 for 50 pounds tool station wanting 70 pounds a no brainer"
"I visited Bidston store where Dave from flooring was exceptionally helpful I bought 2 x 8' piece of melamine that I would have really struggled to get in my car. He offered to cut it for me then helped me to carry them to the car. I wanted to take him home with me but sadly he was already married"
"Waited 15 min after several calls on the tannoy for a member of staff to cut some wood for me, a member from the paint department finally turned up with an expression of annoyance, maybe there were short staffed,but no apology ,felt like i should not have been there,not a nice experience,I need more wood but think I might just go elsewhere,you would think they would welcome your custom in today’s competitive market."
"Same old b & q old price paid 4 months ago now advertised as New low price, giving the impression the price has come down when it is exactly the same old price."
"Have spent over £1000 on a part order for a kitchen, the first part was delivered okay but the second delivery has become a farce. They use a courier company called DX couriers and they absolutely lie through their teeth. Have been promised FOUR different delivery dates and still no delivery. The kitchen fitting has come to a standstill and the inconvenience and loss of pay because I have to keep waiting in for the deliveries that don't show up is outrageous. We have decided to cut our loses and go to another company as we still have half the kitchen to complete. It means that we will lose the majority of the money we have paid but cannot cope with this anymore. B and Q, you really need to rethink your choice of couriers and listen to your customers because I will never use you again and make sure I tell anyone and everyone not to trust you either."
"Bathroom furniture and fitting - excellent job and great service. Very very pleased."
"This outfit took our money and order online then failed to deliver on the due date blaming the carrier for losing the shipment. Failed to deliver a SECOND time this time saying they were out of stock. 2 days of massive inconvenience due to lies. We cancelled and demanded a refund, we will obviously never go back"
"I ordered a kitchen & bathroom off B&Q and I've received very poor service. The process of ordering the kitchen & bathroom was very good and the staff in the coventry branch were incredibly helpful. However, things started to go downhill after this. The first thing that happened was when I tried to rearrange the date of the kitchen fitting. I tried on around 7 occasions to change the date as I was on holiday and was told I'd be given a call back to arrange another date. I was called back once at an inconvenient time while I was at work and couldn't answer my phone and the homefit centre never tried to call me again. On five of these occasions, I wasn't even called back. The final time I called, I was told the date had been changed but no one had actually contacted me to tell me this. Thankfully, it was on a convenient date. The next issue I had was that I'd told B&Q that I lived in a first floor flat and was told the delivery would be possible. However, the delivery drivers arrived and would not deliver the kitchen order upstairs as they apparently didn't have the insurance. I complained about this and was told it was up to the delivery drivers as to whether they delivered upstairs or not. If I'd known I couldn't even have a new kitchen delivered to my flat, I would not have used B&Q. The final issue I've had is with the snagging list on the kitchen. I was provided a faulty dishwasher which has never worked and a faulty cooker hood where the light button doesn't work. I also had a faulty soft close toilet lid which didn't work. I've been told by B&Q that it's my responsibility to chase up the faulty goods in the kitchen with the manufacturer even though I've paid for working goods to be arranged to be fitted in my home. In regards to the toilet lid, I've been given the parts to fit myself which I don't see why I should since I've paid to have a bathroom fitted, not paid to fit it myself."
"Advertising on website a hot tub at £797.Out of stock for weeks hence contacted customer services for date availability. Response was that it was a seasonal (wanted in ealy August???)product and they couldn't give a date for replenishment and I need to look regularly on any updates on the website. I have now purchased this product from Amazon.BQ are obviously not interested in resolving customer queries or eager for the sale"
"Had a bathroom fitted recently and would not recommend them to anyone. They completely fudged the whole thing. Instead of a power shower as I suggested they recommended a shower fitted to the mains hot water supply. Great idea, only problem is the idiot who came round to check and measure the bathroom before installation didn't check the positioning of the hot water tank and how much pressure would be needed for the shower. After the shower head was fitted and the tiling done it was discovered that there was not enough pressure. We had to have a pump installed that they wanted to charge us for. We now have all the joys of living with a lift motor room in the centre of the house without the inconvenience of having a lift! On top of that they replaster the ceiling but said they couldn't paint it as it wasn't part of their job????? We now have water gushing at super fast speed out of all our hot taps, soaking our clothes and getting all over the floor. The fitters didn't seem bothered by this. Very poor unprofessional job, I won't even shop there anymore."
"Never any experience STAFD About to get information on items. Or staff you get items This happens in ever store go to"
"Had a trade account your new system sucks .spent around 15000 on kitchens ect but not all at the same time the new way of working would mean i would only benefit from discount on certain months where as wickes is 10%on everything wickes will be getting any orders from now on dissapointed"
"Tradepoints my local companies are so pleased you have changed your tradepoints. They give discounts on every thing I need So bye bye Are you going the same way as home-base Guess you do not value custom"
"Disgraceful service - went to buy mini cable trunking and found some marked up at £4. When I went to the checkout the item was priced at £5. I refused to buy it so went down the road to Screwfix (owned by the same B&Q company) where I bought the same product for £1.97! Will never shop there again"
"I bought a large mirror from B & Q Warehouse in Blackpool, got it home and it shattered. Thinking I had no chance of them exchanging it due it happening after I left the store, I was wrong. I went back the next day and Becky at Customer Services couldn't be more helpful. She got the store Manager Phil and he exchanged it for me no problem. I don't usually write reviews but I am very impressed with the level of customer service at this store and thought both Becky and Phil deserve a mention for being so helpful and friendly."
"We spent £269 last week in lighting and bulbs in the Clacton-on-Sea branch. We had an electrician into our place of business on Sunday to install the lights and he found one of the chandeliers to be broken. I took it back to store for an exchange and Michelle the customer service person was so rude. I only wanted a product exchange not my money back. The lights were not good quality for the money but we did not feel we could do anything about it after the first return was so difficult. I would not recommend b&q due to this experience."
"An assistant by the name of Mark at the Speke branch in Liverpool was very helpful. I had purchased some ply board and needed it cutting to size. Mark advised me on how it would best be cut in order to fit in my car and yet still be fit for purpose. Thank you Mark. My life was made so much easier and the board still did the job. You went above and beyond the 'call of duty.'"
B&Q is rated 2.12 based on 783 reviews

Get ready for our phone call!