BOATsmart! Reviews

of reviewers recommend BOATsmart!
Live Chat, Telephone, Email
Read BOATsmart! Reviews

1-877-792-3926

info@boatsmartexam.com

Tell us how BOATsmart! made you happy
I was able to read the course content on had the time allowed for each lesson and could have finished in half the time if I had been allowed to move on. This took too long and got to be annoying.
I had a little trouble staying connected. Some of the questions had misspelled words or double words that made it confusing to read at first but I was able to get through it. And appreciate that I was able to order my NYS Licence when I was done.
Thank you.
The wait to move on to a next lesson is too long. You should allow skipping through when done
If you fail a quiz you should just have to take the quiz again rewearing all the videos is stupid
The course modules were fine, except that the little videos rarely worked. Also, it seemed at times the allotted time was too long for the text.
content was poorly timed to the slide time limits making uncomfortable pauses between moving between “lessons”
The course was pretty good but the webpage forces you to stay much longer than necessary on each page. I am a fast reader and already an experienced boater so it was quite painful to sit through each timer until it was done.
Not allowing me to speed up the lessons was frustrating
I went ahead and ready the book and so found it frustrating that i couldn't just take the test without completing all the modules. It should not be mandatory to do all the modules and the wait time to go to the next step was super annoying. I would NOT recommend to others.
Hi Kathryn - thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We definitely understand that the course timers can be frustrating, but they are mandated by Transport Canada and NASBLA because the testing is online and unsupervised. The course timers are a requirement for all course providers. Glad you stuck with it and safe boating!
There were some questions that weren’t reviewed until the following chapter
Well presented course. Some conflicting information (e.g. swim 50 or 100 meters to shore). Feel more.prepared anyway.
Okay course. Some videos seemed out of order or repeated. Would have been better to combine so many short videos into fewer long ones. No clue why videos start over at the end rather than prompt to go to the next one. Also, why is the timing of each page independent of the length of the video, strange and annoying. Lastly, no feedback on quiz and exam questions that we get wrong. This would be helpful.
My only issue with the course is that the required time you have to stay on each page is way too long. I understand the thought of it but as someone who reads fast all it did was make me distracted as I waited for the timer to count down and I was unengaged and I ended up retaining less than I woudlve had I been able to go at my own pace. I understand the point is to make sure we are reading it but I woudlnt be paying 50$ if I wasn’t going to engage in it, and you could lower the time to something more reasonable. All in all good content just annoying presentation
Hi Christina - thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We definitely understand that the course timers can be frustrating, but they are mandated by Transport Canada and NASBLA because the testing is online and unsupervised. The course timers are a requirement for all course providers. Glad you stuck with it and safe boating!
There definitely was material covered that I learned from. However, I thought it is imperative to know which questions were answered incorrectly. Just having a percentage without knowing where you erred could prove disastrous in a real life situation.
Hi Cynthia - thanks for the feedback. Since there are a finite number of test questions and the test is open book and unsupervised - Transport Canada and NASBLA regulate that the answers not be shown. This is one of the check and balances put into place to maintain the integrity of online testing. As boaters too, we understand the feedback and are working with regulators to try and improve the process within the confines of online testing. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
For quiz & test questions, it would be helpful to display incorrect answers, with the correct answer.
Though I can say the BOATsmart course is better than 90% of what's out there, that doesn't mean it's particularly exceptional.

Some of the course modules seemed illogically arranged, with complimentary fields of learning being separated across multiple learning blocks. It also had the somewhat disorienting habit of passively mentioning a technique or piece of knowledge that hadn't yet been mentioned. Some 'slides' felt like they had very little info and then others would be extremely dense with content. It seems as though they probably created the system less as a functional learning tool, and more of a general repository for the information you need to know. While I do appreciate the effort and elements of the execution (bonus points on the dashboard UI), what ultimately matters is the educational content and the core content of that seems to fall behind some of the flashier elements.

Also when it comes to the actual boater exam, aside from also being an ABCD multiple choice like BOATsmart, the syntax and question structure of the questions are different between the two...I can imaging that for some people this would prove very frustrating and confusing.

It's a step in the right direction, with a lot more steps to go.
Considering I have previous experience with boats and have taken several boating courses with the military I feel that I should have been allowed to attempt the test before I was forced to click very, very slowly through the modules. But if a person could challenge the test without the course then that person would have to achieve a higher mark. maybe 90%. Then if failed they would have to go through the course. Instead I had to waste 3 hours looking over material I already knew. The course was a giant waste of my time but I feel I should have been given the opportunity to take the test first if I so desired.
Simple to follow and covers the basics. Suggest adding an option to allow users to review answers (specifically those with wrong answers) after quizzes.
I wish they told you what you got wrong on the practice quizzes- you can’t learn from your mistakes if you don’t know what they are!
The timer in the bottom was not the best. Sometimes it would finish way before the recording was done and sometimes I would have to wait more than a minute after the recording was done.
BOATsmart! is rated 4.43 based on 7,113 reviews