BOATsmart! Reviews

of reviewers recommend BOATsmart!
Live Chat, Telephone, Email
Read BOATsmart! Reviews

1-877-792-3926

info@boatsmartexam.com

Tell us how BOATsmart! made you happy
BOATsmart had a nice interface, but had a plethora of typos, duplicate lessons, and duplicate questions. I also didn't agree with the decision to make a user repeat a module, especially re-integrating time limits, if they fail a quiz. Overall, 4/10
The waiting portion is what makes me hesitant to recommend you course.
Modules had nothing to do with test thank goodness I’m smart.
The length of time required for each lesson was far too long if you were reading the content (as opposed to listening to it). This led to a lot of time sitting around and waiting for the next lesson to be accessible. Very frustrating.
I wish this was more about safe operation of a boat and that seemed to be a small section of part 5 so not worth the money.
The time in which you must take at each of the lessons was way too long, I read the information on each lesson and typically had one minute to spare upon completion. Doesn't sound like a lot but after about 60 lessons this adds on an additional two hours of sitting around twiddling your fingers waiting for the timer to expire. Just Glad that its done and don't have to take the course again. The content was well put together though.
As someone that has captained and Coastal Cruised in BC waters on 40+ foot sailing and power vessels this course is mostly appropriate. However this course is total overkill for me or my 12 year old grandson to safely operate my 15 foot Zodiac (30 hp outboard) on our lake. We will try our best to avoid shipping lanes unless we are crossing them in a large group!
Good material but the amount of time required to finish each page should be shortened. Numerous times I was left waiting 45-90 seconds before I could advance to the next page. Took far longer than it should have to complete.
Hey Kyle - thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. We understand the test can take a while for some students, but the time requirements and quizzes are required by Transport Canada and NASBLA to ensure students of all reading levels are able to fully understand all content. The timed requirements are the same across all course providers, and we find many students prefer the convenience of completing the course from the comfort of home, rather than in a classroom setting. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
The course takes way to long. You should be able to go straight to the quiz’s and take them.
Ridiculously long. Took me 4 1/2 hours to do the bloody thing because of the forced time restriction. I could have done it in a hour and a half. Took me 20 minutes to write the exam. Stupid waste of time.
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback Paul. We understand the test can take a while for some students, but the time requirements and quizzes are required by Transport Canada and NASBLA to ensure students of all reading levels are able to fully understand all content. The timed requirements are the same across all course providers, and we find many students prefer the convenience of completing the course from the comfort of home, rather than in a classroom setting. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
the course is full of information, my kids and i like it but the most frustrating part is if you get 1 or 2 questions wrong you have to sit through the whole module again, waste of time. also the timer on the page is very annoying as we both read fast. Event the audio player finishes sooner then the timer. very disappointed in this, if you have to go through a second round then eliminate the timers. Also would be nice to know what questions where answered wrong. Some of the questions are also misleading. Would not recommend this site to anyone.
Took way to long - should be able to bypass timer , some people do read fast
Thanks for taking time to leave feedback Breana. We understand the test can take a while for some students, but the time requirements and quizzes are required by Transport Canada and NASBLA to ensure students of all reading levels are able to fully understand all content. The timed requirements are the same across all course providers, and we find many students prefer the convenience of completing the course from the comfort of home, rather than in a classroom setting. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
I’m renting a 14” aluminum boat with 20hp motor for 4 days to take my son fishing. This is insanely long and time consuming. The program should be based on the size of boat you intend to operate. I have no intention of operating a sail boat or a frick’n barge.
Too longgggggggg...
It was really confusing to log in and get started it took a half hour for us to figure out how to get into my account
While the information was all pertinent, the online course was difficult to get through. The amount of time following reading a page before it would let me go on and read the next page ranged anywhere from a few seconds to almost 2 minutes on some pages. 3.5 hours of course time is only good if students are actually learning. By last few modules, I found myself checking out other websites, leaving the computer, generally not focusing on the information while I waited for the next page.
Also, it would be very helpful to know which questions I got incorrect in the module quizzes. Not able to learn what information I should be reviewing when there’s no way to tell where I went wrong.
Thanks for taking time to leave feedback Steve. We understand the test can take a while for some students, but the time requirements and quizzes are required by Transport Canada and NASBLA to ensure students of all reading levels are able to fully understand all content. The timed requirements are the same across all course providers, and we find many students prefer the convenience of completing the course from the comfort of home, rather than in a classroom setting. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
Repetitive modules, min time thresholds that force you to wait even longer than the duration of the videos, content that is irrelevant to anyone other than someone trying to circumnavigate the globe in international shipping lanes, incomplete coverage of material compared to final exam were all annoying aspects, but the worst part is they don't tell you what you got wrong, so there is no actual mechanism for learning and improvement.
Hi Grayden - thanks for the feedback. Since there are a finite number of test questions and the test is open book and unsupervised - Transport Canada and NASBLA regulate that the answers not be shown. This is one of the check and balances put into place to maintain the integrity of online testing. As boaters too, we understand the feedback and are working with regulators to try and improve the process within the confines of online testing. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
Way too long, Too much information that I will never use. Only operate on California lakes that have few buoys.

Time needs to needs to end when video ends not 5 seconds later.
The timed lessons are too long for the amount of content
Good course content, but terrible design. If I knew it was going to take that long to review things I already know, I would not buy the coupons and go with other sites.
Hi Hing - Thanks for taking time to leave feedback. We understand the test can take a while for some students, but the time requirements and quizzes are required by Transport Canada and NASBLA to ensure students of all reading levels are able to fully understand all content. The timed requirements are the same across all course providers, and we find many students prefer the convenience of completing the course from the comfort of home, rather than in a classroom setting. Thanks for sticking with it and safe boating!
BOATsmart! is rated 4.43 based on 7,113 reviews