Lancaster Insurance Reviews

of reviewers recommend Lancaster Insurance
Over A Week

Tell us how Lancaster Insurance made you happy
I found this company on Go compare. I wanted to insure my 1999 Audi tt..it is insurable as a classic as it is 18 years old and used about 30 miles per week max. I gave a mileage declaration to verify this.
On filling in my application there was a question,.,do you drive another vehicle besides this one? to which I answered Yes... I have 3 vans..one is a berlingo that I use always as my daily transport. Then the following question was do you own another car ? but gives no option for van, just car....So assuming this was to verify the fact that the vehicle I was insuring was a second occasional use vehicle I answered yes.
I sent in my proof of no claims . During the next few days I was emailed and called by Lancaster requesting this no claims proof and milage declaration etc.
I tried to call them 4 times but after long, long delays gave up. ( if you've tried to contact them you'll know what I mean) . Eventually I got through thinking all was well. I was asked questions like Do you owne another car. I said no..but I used a van every day instead. Did I have access to another car?..Yes I did, but it was my ex wifes car used in cases where our son needed to go with pals somewhere. .
I was told neither of these situations counted and so the insurance would be cancelled.
I was origionaly quoted just under 290 for the year. I had paid 40 deposit but had used only 3 weeks cover by then. .
(I had 2 years previously insured with them under those very same conditions!.)
Remarkably I was asked for 130 cancellation fee. !
Now i have received a letter from a collection agent. for 188.10 which I refuse to pay.
......Its in the bin by the way Lancaster...
I will happily go to court over this . if its cost me 1000 ,there is a principle here.
This company do not need to actually sell insurance if they are claiming huge fees of this kind on a regular basis. It would be very interesting to know just what percentage of their turnover comes from these heavy handed tactics.
Finally,.. On a following quotes search to insure after this fiasco, Not knowing the company I contacted the cheapest provider using the telephone....( all calls recorded as per usual).. I explained that I was using a VAN as my first vehicle, not a car. I stated this several times.... I was offered a quote for £280.
Yes £280 ..and guess who the company turned out to be?.. LANCASTER ...
.Be warned, make one small mistake or even use your initiative on your application and you will give this outfit opportunity to sting you big time.
Attempting to cancel a policy I've had with Lancaster, quoted £140 to cancel a policy I'm only paying £27 a month on.. (5months worth of insurance to cancel!) worked out it's almost more beneficial to keep the policy running to gain a years no claims and discount on a new policy than to cancel. I appreciate there will be a cancellation fee but they really take the biscuit with the money they charge and abuse their position as a insurance company. Lesson learnt the hard way, will not use again!
Awful service for loyal customers!! Avoid them and go to the NFU instead. I did.
Never answer calls from current customers ( the phone cuts dead after waiting over 12.15 mins!) and take ages to respond to emails.
Funny, but I posed as a new customer - they answered within 30 seconds each time!!
£150 pound cancellation fee on a policy that cost £200 what a absolute joke would not recommend to anyone wouldn't let the policy run because I sold the car and all I got off the lady on the phone is " we have this problem alot customers complaints about the charge " well to me that means there is a problem with how they are selling insurance do not use this company (my opinion)
Ripped me off when cancelling a car insurance policy - multiple categories of charges for cancellation - ended up surprise surprise I was entitled to no refund even though I had months of validity left on the policy - going to take the matter up with the financial ombudsman - my recommendation is don't touch this company with a barge pole buy your insurance from a firm that has morals and common decency
After six months of having car insurance sold car and when i cancelled policy was told i would have to pay a £50 cancellation fee and i would receive the bill in next 7 days , 10 days after i cancelled i received a letter saying that despite previous attempts they had made to collect i had not paid the money and if i did not pay immediately they would submit the account to a debt collection agency at an extra cost of £37 . I will never insure with them again.
Terrible company, had 14 days cooling off period, didn’t buy the car, managed to get through after 9 days, gave me less than half my policy back, what a joke, stay well away from this company
Please stay away from this insurance company look elsewhere they charge you for any little extra change of address change of number plate and they even charge for cancelling your insurance half way through the year even though I had paid in full for the whole year they are a total rip off insurance company and make my blood boil
I phoned up half way through my year policy (paid up front) to swap policy to another car, on the phone for 45 mins, then they tell me due to my old car being on a '4x4' policy, they couldn't transfer the policy to a 'road car'.
appalling, make sure you read the small print, to cancel early the premiums are shocking and they want you to pay for the whole policy, and any amendments you have come with a fee too
Completely disgraceful, completely ripped me off, cancel my policy half way through due to house move with a secured car park but can no longer insure yet want payment in full for remaining 5 months. Plus extra charges. No breakdown given just demands . Telephone and promised solution but just got passed onto a debt collector.
I paid over £170 for one of my classic car insurance 3 weeks later i sold it and cancelled my insurance only to be told no refund as its all gone in there fees, i would say its very short sighted as my total anual insurances for my classic are over £3,500 and these will not be getting any more of my business "feeling Robbed"
No reply to my email ,tried to cancel my insurance policy mid term but would not be given a refund ,wish I checked the other reviews and used a different company .
Absolutely appalling customer service!
Their vehicle database is over 18 month out of date and pulled up the correct brand but the incorrect model of my car so they had insured a non existent vehicle, couldn't contact then because it was a weekend.
When they did cancel the policy they charged me over £30 for their mistake and refused to budge.
They are an absolutely pathetic excuse of a insurance broker
DO NO USE LANCASTER . i took out a policy and 2 months later i bought a new car their quote was to high so i cancelled and went elsewhere they wanted me to pay the extra 10 months i refused ive now been contacted by ICB to recover the outstanding amount , after seeing all the complaints i have now asked for this to go to court i will not pay and that is final , ive now instructed my local solicitor who has advised me foc not to pay anything . BRING IT ON .
Insurance Cancellation :-(

I informed Lancaster Insurance that my policy was due to run until 24 Sept 2019 i.e with 7 months remaining.

Lancaster Insurance informed me that due to "administration costs etc" that this 7 months does not qualify for any refund whatsoever??????

I accept that I would have incurred an administration fee for cancelling the policy early but to receive absolutely no refund at all I am aghast and if this is the way Lancaster Insurance Services treat their customers then it is, quite frankly, most outrageous!

I for one am deterred from using them again - as are all my friends, and associates 'et al' that I have related this to.....................

Investors in people champion + Customer Charter = 'A Mockery'
Please keek away from this insurance company they charged me £30 for change of number plate and £30 for Canceling our insurance half way through the year even though they had full payment up front I refused to pay the £30 cancellation fee and today they have threatened to hand my debt over to the debt collectors they just try to screw you for every penny.....
WARNING In 45 years of driving this is the worst experience I have had with a broker and the insurance company they used,( Equity red star) it would seem they are tied in with Markstudy who also have a terrible reputation.

I was invited to renew my policy for another year and did so, 2 weeks later they e.mailed me to advise that they thought my car was undervalued and advised me that the insurer was going to cancel the policy, if I did not pay another £210. whilst obtaining proof of its value they cancelled my policy with no refund. I made a complaint and this was rejected.
They are very hard to get a reply from and I would not trust them with a Classic car ever again.
There was no continuity in discussions.
If you read the reviews of Markstudy they seem even worse, with people struggling to get paid out on claims.
I have written to the Ombudsman and await a reply.

They will not now send proof of my no claims discount for my new insurance company, and they are now advising me that if I cant get hold of proof of ncb they will cancel my new policy. I think the whole insurance industry needs a big shake up.

You have been warned, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY
Buyer Beware - I went for them because they were the cheapest on a price comparison site - probably my first mistake . Paid my annual premium up front - then got mithered by email requests for proof of no claims and photos of vehicle on driveway. Sent them these but took months to sort out . The big issue with them is lack of communication. Never answer the phone and take 2 weeks to respond to any emails. I used to think Churchill were expensive but at least you can speak to CustomerService quickly - my big fear with these people is having to claim from them! I shall be scooting at the end of my policy without doubt.
I've been holding for 1 hour already and STILL NOT THROUGH. THIS IS PATHETIC IN THIS DAY AND AGE.
Lancaster Insurance is rated 1.98 based on 187 reviews