Bryght Labs - ChessUp Reviews

Bryght Labs - ChessUp 4 star review on 10th December 2022
Erwin Liwanag
Bryght Labs - ChessUp 5 star review on 2nd December 2022
Adam Kenney
ChessUp is great! My 7-year-old nephew loves learning to play and it allows us to have a good game together with the different assistance levels. My only wish is that it had a mode where I could turn off available moves on my end while keeping the assistance on his. But that is a minor thing. Overall, this is an amazing board that will get lots of use!
i like it but there is a glitch on the app. sometimes when i choose i piece to move i can make an illegal move. Also integrating chessable's move trainer into it to train openings would be useful. overall a quality product
Great learning tool, works as advertised. I love all the different levels and just bought the checkers set for my grandkids.
The quality of the board is very good. The software is still under development but you can see the progress. They also added chess.com beta and it looks fantastic. For multiplayer on lichess its mostly bug-free.(rare bugs here) The AI without a smartphone isn't that good. I also encountered bugs when playing OTB. If you want a board that looks great and feels very futuristic and your main Goal is to play online then its perfect for you! Im very excited what new Features we will get in the Future. Whats also important: Customer service is great.
My daughter and I love it. It's a lot of fun and seems to be working well. Even though we have very different ratings, we can play an even match with the assistance feature. For online play, I use Lichess with android. I haven't had any problems with it. The app seems to be bare bones right now, but I'm hoping it will be improved in the future. The pieces are comfortable with a nice weight to them. The physical product is great and I would highly recommend it.
A high production quality The chessboard is beautiful and the functions clear and easy to understand. The app has a nice look and makes for a great experience
It's really good to play online with and so much h better than just looking at a screen. What surprised me most is that it gives me young kids a good chance to beat me depending on level of assistance I set it to for them.
I enjoy your product. I can play with my 8-year-old son and he is excited to play every night because we can adjust the assist to help him and not me. The trick is that if he touches a piece that shows a blue or green square he has to move that piece. In other words, he can not just touch every piece until he finds the green square. This way he has to think about the move and then touch the piece he thinks the the best move. If it is all red he moves can try touching another piece. This method results in him winning most of the games but still leaves me a chance to win a few. The only thing I have trouble with is sometimes I have trouble with it linking with my phone, especially after a game and we start a new game. It can be frustrating.
I do like to look and feel of the board and pieces - very engaging in use. Have only used the built-in AI to date but will get round to playing online when I pluck up the courage. One criticism however: the help (no matter what level) can make some peculiar move choices from time to time.
My wife and I are in our pre-retirement phase and looking for hobbies to enjoy outside of sports. It’s a great learning tool that’s organic, physical and real. Unlike the many excellent online courses & apps seeing and touching the pieces gives us a 3D experience of a 2D game. Very educational enjoyable and keeps our brains active. Highly recommended for all ages. Thx for creating such a wonderful product!
Hi there, I am glad to provide some feedback. First of all, I feel much gratitude to you for bringing this product to life. This is the reason, chess found a place back again in my life and i had quite a few satisfying hours with it. so far I am fairly satisfied with my play-experience. however a few things, you might call it nitpicking, I would like to mention here (in the order of the "inconvenience"): 1. everytime I start a new game (and i mostly play against AI), i need to navigate to the desired settings - with multiple taps i.e., setting assistance level & opponent levels -to get to my starting point. i wish there was a way to save my last play settings and continue from there on every start. 2. It was a little let down to find that the max assistance level that can be directly set on the board is only upto 3. Not sure if there is a technical reason for that. surely it would have been nicer otherwise. 3. save the game for later: i find it somewhat fiddly tapping 3 times esp. when there is piece on the a1 square and have to try a few times to get it right. A long-press somewhere e.g., would be more preferable. Warm Regards Tejinder Ahuja
I absolutely love my ChessUp board. Amazing product, practically flawless!
I bought this particular chess computer based on an advertisement where it was said and shown that "it allows switching between a computer and a human". I expected that I would be able to practice various openings by making the first few moves in a human to a human mode to get the opening I wanted and then switch to the computer mode to practice the variations. In reality, this option is available only without an app and with the maximum ELO 1200 and quite a long time (2-3 minutes) to generate each move. The app works faster and provides variety of strengths, but it doesn't allow switching the partner from a human to a computer during the game that the board does. Overall, the possibility of testing various moves in openings with the computer that I originally wanted looked reasonable. If you could add the feature to the app to switch an opponent during the game from human to computer (and maybe back), that would be great. I hope it's something feasible, This will make your product the best on the market. Kind regards, Roman
Pretty pricey… BUT I love it! It’s definitely a conversation piece. It’s so good, I’ve been able to get people who HATE chess to play with me!
to be honest I'm pretty disappointed first of all I thought your product will be able to link to chess.com second I'm experiencing some bugs such as application crashes sometimes I'm not able to establish a game especially on chessup etc etc ... I'm disappointed.
Hi Dror! We are so close to releasing chess.com integration for everyone! It's out in the wild for Android Beta! However, someone will be reaching out to your shortly, we want to make sure that your experience with your ChessUp is world class!
Great chessboard to learn and play! Very good haptic feeling. It also works very well, at first i was scared about the bug reviews, but no problems with iphone. Only nut useable in hot environment (like balcony in summer), then it gets errors. All in all still great product!
Excellent quality. Friendly and informative customer service. Reasonably priced too! I highly recommend the ChessUp to all those who love chess but don’t always have an opponent to play with. The ability to play Stockfish (the built in chess engine) on varying levels of strength, as well as being able to play against other real life opponents from anywhere in the world is truly incredible. Bryght Labs have really created a fantastic product. I’m really happy with my purchase and I think that if anyone reading this review is contemplating getting one themselves, you definitely won’t regret it!
I just received my ChessUp board, two days after ordering, and played a few games OTB, against AI, and online (lichess). Everything works perfectly as advertised! (I did update the firmware and calibrated as recommended first). It's a bit larger than I expected; maybe thats a good thing. The carrying bag is nice too, just right for the board, charger, and a few accessories. Better quality than expected, and have not had to recharge yet after 6-7 games. The app seems to work great, no issues. I can't wait for Chess.com integration and other promised learning features. Highly recommended!
I'm delighted with the ChessUp board. The pieces could be better. King and queen are too similar. Main problem was the long delivery time that turned out to be even longer due to customs delays in Europe. All that said this is a great board and app (iOS)
This is a gift that has not been open l hope it is a great gift.
Bryght Labs - ChessUp is rated 4.2 based on 261 reviews