Animal Friends Reviews

of reviewers recommend Animal Friends
Telephone, Live Chat, Email
Over A Week

Tell us how Animal Friends made you happy
Awful, awful, awful, I have an ongoing claim with them because my vet went to the vets back in November for an ear infection - They sent me an e-mail to say it was being processed - good - I am a very busy working mum of 3 children with horses etc and last month I realised I hadn't heard back from them. I called and a adviser said that my claim had been 'forgotten' was still pending and couldn't explain why! I asked her to look into it and process - I am now on my third email from them - they keep asking me the stupidest of questions and I swear it is to avoid paying up - I had a big claim from them last time and they bearly refunded for all sorts of stupid reasons. Also some of their staff are cocky and you can tell they enjoy telling you you will not get a refund - disgraceful company - I am waiting for my claim to be sorted (just in case they were to refund me but doubt that will happen ) and then I cancel my policy with them. Thieves!
Awful and totally unhelpful. Our Vet advised us in 2017 that the Lipoma lump on our dogs leg was harmless and no need to get it removed. Took him twice & got same advice. Finally took him to another vet as he was uncomfortable, & they removed lump the next week. We were advised by AF that as he is over 8yrs we would also be deduced a further 20% from any claims on top of the £100 excess. We have now been advised that our claim of over £900 has been declined as initial diagnosis was in 2017 - although we had simply followed vets advice. In addition we have were advised that as he has put on weight the premium goes up from £17.46 to just under £24. Followed by another email advising new premium will be £27.00. So even though we have not been paid for our claim the premiums have gone up by £10 pcm. In addition they have now told us that Lipoma is now excluded on our policy! What?? He is 12yrs old and is bound to get more lumps!
Have now cancelled policy and would rather put money to one side for any future eventualities. Sad that they are quick to take money, increase premiums but reluctant to pay out claims.. Steer clear !!
OMG - don't bother!

We paid for 17 years and now, because our vet noted a cough over 365 days ago (hidden in the detail of course), our death cover has been declined. Seriously - don watts your money. Put it in a jar instead and use it when you actually visit a vet.
Stay clear of these weasels
Awful company. Customer service unbelievably bad.
I been with this company for many years and never had to claim.
I called and ask if I could have my mail delivered to my office instead of my house (1/2 mile ) they said no problem that will be £70!!
I said don't bother then ill keep the address where it was, they said they couldn't change it back.
There now being reported to the FCA.
If they are this dishonest on a address change God knows what would happen on a medical claim.
Im not going to take that chance and I'm going elsewhere.
Check all the other bad reviews.
Just to let you all know if you are considering taking out pet insurance with this company be aware they will not pay out if your dog is involved in a road traffic accident. Apparently, you have to foresee EVERY eventuality, EVERY possible scenario that may lead to your beloved pet getting hit by a car. The implication being you threw the dog under the car deliberately!! Well, policies have been canceled and complaints filed. This company is a disgrace and should be put out of business! Make sure you tell all your doggy friends!
Like others have said when your dog is older they are basically not covered for anything. Something noted by the vet in the past will be used as an excuse not to pay, despite the vet confirming to me that they are unrelated. Policy cancelled now and money will be put away each month to use if required.
Animal Friends is like a protection racket!!!!!
I have been with Animal Friends since 2013. Initially they paid up very quickly however my vet submitted a claim in April 2018 and it STILL hasn't been paid! They said that they wrote and emailed me as the figures in the claim didn't match! Funny I never received either. The figures did mismatch because the claim handler at the vet had accidentally transcribed 2 digits but it was literally a matter of pence, they could have opted to pay against the lower amount but no! Eventually I asked the vet to resubmit the claim entirely. This was done in November and I have STILL received nothing from them. Who do you have to kill round here to get some money out of Animal Friends? As it is because my boy is now 12 they will be taking a hefty co-payment off on top of the excess. I am giving 2 stars because they were excellent in the past but no more it would seem. I am sorely tempted to cancel the policy altogether, the renewal premiums are exorbitant and if they don't intend paying out what is the point?Their loss! as the amount I would get IF they ever paid the claim is less than they would get in premiums this year.
AF tried to link my dog's condition to something unrelated in my dog's history from five years ago so my claim was turned down. My vet wrote to AF explaining that it was unrelated but they still wouldn't accept my claim. There's clearly no point handing over nearly £26pm for insurance when AF responds like this so I've cancelled my policy.
Very disappointed with abrupt,argumentative and rude attitude of the member of staff I spoke to when called to question my claim(only one in my dog's lifetime!) that they now refuse to fully cover even tho they made a clear mistake!I definitely won't use them again.They are cheap for a reason.
My dog was laying motionless on the floor ,with various parts of his body swelling at a rapid pace.I thought he was dying so took him to the emergency vet .Animal friends refused to pay out as they didn’t see it as life threatening.Maybe I should have waited to see if he died .Policy Cancelled AVOID
Animal friends are the most unscrupulous and dishonourable pet company I have ever dealt with they should be shut down as criminals my dog in 2018 had some bowel problems that got better I did NOT claim or pay any excess late this year 19) the symptoms came back worse I had to claim as it cost me £1250 out of my pension they refused to pay if I had not payed my dog would be dead
Very upset by the treatment I have received from Animal Friends . Within a few days of owning our dog I took her to the vet as she had a mild case of conjunctivitis . As this was right at the beginning of our policy I understood that any future conjunctivitis would be excluded from being able to be claimed for , which would not have been unreasonable . However what Animal Friends have actually chosen to do , is to exclude anything at all related to her eyes . . . ie any future eye injury accidents , cataracts , eyesight problems etc . This is totally unjustifiable as all she had was , in the vets own words , ‘ a mild case of conjunctivitis ‘ ,which was successfully treated with eye drops . I would strongly advise to steer clear from this ‘supposedly ‘ ,ethical ,company as my experience of them would suggest something very different !
Both myself and my Mother have been a loyal customers of Animal Friends (A.F) for years with various different policies and pets. I wouldn’t normally write a review to an insurance company but this has been the first and only time my Mother has ever had to make a claim on on her policy and they have completely screwed us over, you would be better putting a little away every month than lining the pockets of these crooks.
My mother has had a pony insured with A.F for many years, recently the pony had an accident in the field and suddenly became very lame and sore – unfortunately the various vets were unsuccessful at diagnosing what was wrong with the pony and after a horrendous 2 months of agony, our vet made the decision there was nothing else he could do and to have her put to sleep. This was a horrific time for us all, she was a fabulous young pony with a bright future ahead of her but it was cruel to keep her going in so much pain. A.F dragged their heels in every aspect with the claim, they requested completely unnecessary information, it felt like they were purposely trying to delay the process and upset my Mother. Customer service was terrible, they are your friend when they are taking your money but when you try to talk to them it’s like you’ve just interrupted their pre-lunch nap. Weeks later (going over their own 10 day deadline) A.F made the decision not to pay “loss of use” as my Mother didn’t ask “permission” to have her OWN pony put down. Let’s be perfectly clear, this is not a decision that came lightly. A.F are fully aware of how sore and unwell the pony became because they paid for some of the vets bills but will not pay for “loss of use” or the cost of having the pony PTS under our vet’s recommendation. THIS IS THE MOST LUDICROUS THING I HAVE EVER HEARD, HOW DARE ANIMAL FRIENDS SQUIRM THEIR WAY OUT OF THIS, I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED - IT IS UNACCEPTABLE THAT AN OWNER CAN’T MAKE THE DECISION TO HAVE THEIR OWN ANIMAL PTS! A.F WENT AS FAR TO INSINSATE THAT MY MOTHER HAD HER PONY PUT DOWN FOR INSURANCE MONEY, WHICH IS ABSOUTELY DISGUSTING!!
The real icing on the cake was the unsolicited, uncompassionate phone call the next day from an A.F employee offering my Mother a discount on her next policy when she replaces her pony!!! Is this some sort of sick joke?! A.F has enough staff to make unsolicited phone calls THE DAY AFTER the decision has been made not to pay but can’t manage to decide on a claim on within their own 10 day policy?! Needless to say this has been an incredibly stressful time and it has been completely magnified by the unjust decisions made by Animal Friends and the incompetent, rude, short-sighted staff within the company. We have since both cancelled all policies with A.F, there is so many hidden stipulations, I just don’t see the point in paying for insurance when there are so many ways the company can wriggle out of it? We have insurance as responsible pet owners to protect ourselves and our animals when things go wrong – not to create more stress and worry as A.F have successfully done. It doesn’t stop your pet becoming unwell!
THIS DISGUSTING COMPANY DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANIMAL WELFARE AND ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN RIPPING YOU OFF. USELESS A.F!
For pets over 8 years old , the policies offered are not worth a carrot.

excuse after excuse on why claims have been declined , I had two policies and on each claim made certain exclusions deducted, I would shop anywhere else ,other may be more expensive , but it will worth it long term , staff hear are heartless. on line it claimed £250 on death of pet payout not a dime
I myself have only found out recently what this company is like, i have been with them for years, they hit you when you are vulnerable and the last thing you need is an argument, they rely on you telling them to get lost and you walking away, and know in time you will forget about them, they have your money and it cost them nothing to get it, you pursue them in anyway you can, imagine if everyone complained to the ombudsman about them and the society of insurance, trading standards, your member of parliament, an election is not far away, time for the politicians to please us, they only exist because of trusting people like you and me, we could close them down if we stick together, after my experience with them I am convinced every story on here about them is true.
Had my dog 12 years and never made a claim. Earlier this year she became ill with what turned out to be pancreatitis and hepatitis. After paying out £1400 to get her fit and well my claim was declined as she had had a bout of diarrhoea the previous year. This, they claimed, was a symptom of her disease and therefore they said I hadn’t disclosed a preexisting condition and nullified her policy for anything relating to her stomach, kidneys and liver. I asked them to review their decision as the vet stated there was no link whatsoever. My request was refused. DO NOT use this company - they will use any excuse not to pay you. Disgusting! And now because of her age, I am unable to get insurance elsewhere. Very disappointing.
Don't use Animal Friends to Insure your pets, there information they miss out like they tell you, when you lose your pets you receive a percentage of the cost but that's only if your pet gets knock over,!! Also after 8years of age you lose 20% of your claim but your monthly payments go up,,? Do your research
I took out Insurance about 4.5 years ago, as with house Insurance it listed policy benefits etc.
ie death of cat £500 i have an excess of £99
my cat got killed yesterday in a road accident, i wanted him created as, i am leaving my house, and didn't want to leave cat there buried in the Garden, when i rang i was told i may get £10 back that was what said i paid for him, i argued this i may now get £25 i am being sent a claim form, on one hand its say death of a pet £500, then it as a clause, you can't get back more than you paid for the Pet, disgusting and mis leading, i have never made a claim.
We had dog and cat insurance they wouldn’t pay out for either. Our dog had an ear infection that would not shift she had anaesthetic to flush them out twice. But because she had had an ear infection before ( which cleared up with the meds) they wouldn’t pay.
Animal Friends is rated 1.76 based on 433 reviews