Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors Reviews

of reviewers recommend Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors
Read Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors Reviews

About Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors:

Industrial Scripts Reviews

Founded in early 2010 by a Warner Bros and Paramount script consultant, Industrial Scripts® is now one of the world’s leading screenplay and story analysis companies, backed by major entertainment companies and with over 1,000 verified client reviews.

Our script consultants have significant industry credentials, writing script coverage for companies and studios including Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., Universal and many more. Working with screenwriters, authors and filmmakers of all levels and from myriad locations, we also deliver intensive training both online and offline.

While our OVERDRIVE and Talent Connector programmes hone and promote writing talent to the industry, our popular blog – Character-Driven – educates, informs and entertains. We believe that rigorous script development is the foundation of great cinema and TV and is, indeed, essential – without it, the end product is certain to fail…

Visit our site here >> https://industrialscripts.com/

Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors 5 star review on 11th December 2019
Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors 5 star review on 10th August 2017
Steve
Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors 4 star review on 8th July 2017
Judith
I had a very positive overall experience. Kieran was thoughtful and creative and helped to streamline many aspects of the script, specifically fleshing out several more ancillary character arcs. We spent quite a lot of time discussing the vision for the project and I feel like he was on board with the overall goal, and I feel that that is reflected in the delivery draft. If I had to point to any areas of improvement, I would say that I think he over promised slightly what he would be able to accomplish in the time allotted. But that is also just part of the creative process. One specific of this, is that I was very clear about the length of the script I wanted but unfortunately we were not able to stick within those confines even at the end of the process. Again, not the end of the world, there was still much editing to be done even after the delivery draft and I have been able to truncate myself even further. But overall I had a very good experience and I think the draft is much improved thanks to Kieran's help with his set of fresh eyes!
There should be some rule for coverage companies: "Don't send out a request for a review five minutes after the coverage lands in the screenwriter's inbox." You're still reeling from (what often feels like) a kick in the gut - my great first draft isn't quite as great as I thought a week or so ago - "they hate my baby!" But writers sometimes need a (gentle) kick in the gut. Or nudge. Your friends all 'love' it, give a few useful notes, most never finish it, fellow writers are helpful and actually read your script but don't deep dive, the rest of your pals never get through it. My wife got about 30% through my latest draft and moved back to her kindle. Writers' spouses are long-suffering and not the place to place your first or even second draft. So coverage is offered by concerns such as Industrial scripts to put some teeth into literary feedback but sometimes it feels like it's all too easy to become the Lord of all Writing and the God of Screenwriting when reviewing someone else's work. (I know, I've done coverage myself, back in the day). "Hell, My scripts are brilliant...which is why I do paid coverages...." Anyhow, I digress: I wasn't familiar with Industrial Scripts as a coverage resource so I sorta stepped in with trepidation. I've been reading the blog and newsletter for quite a while so I thought I'd give them a try covering my 1950s LA noir-ish thriller. Every coverage writer has a pet peeve or bone to pick I think and my coverage's bone was "making each scene feel like and look like 1950s LA." EXT. HOLLYWOOD AND VINE - WE ARE IN *STILL* IN 1950s LA - DAY. I'm not quite sure what to make of the note about "it’s hard to distinguish whether we are in 2021 Los Angeles or 1950s Los Angeles." "There is a lack of specificity". OK, Scene 22, we are STILL IN 1950s LA. ;). We're in 1959 LA, OK -- I'm not a set designer. And I'm skimming through "Chinatown" again as I write this. I don't THINK Robert Towne was describing LA in the late 40s in every setup scene. Or was he? At some stage, you just have to use your imagination and say: "This is set in 1940s LA." There were also some weird typos: like: "DIALOUGE" for "DIALOGUE" and "inn" for "in". (..."what being inn an...") which led me to believe the coverage writer had used transcription software or just not spell-checked before sending it out. Not a big deal. But overall this was an EXCELLENT bit of coverage. They seem to have great intuition and a clear understanding of the racial themes and challenges to the characters. They understand how my structure needs to work and painted a pretty good roadmap for my next draft. So good. There were some extremely useful suggestions. It seems the writer actually read the whole script and got most of the characters' names right, they had some great suggestions, clearly understand the biz, and 4.5 is probably fairer than 4 but there was that weird note about the setting (how much ink do you devote to reminding people of the era??) The script is set in the late 50s OK! Neither of the other TWO coverage writers picked up on this so I should probably get over myself. And then there were those bizarre typos... Yeah, I'd use Industrial Scripts again - hard-hitting, quirky, diligent pros who don't pull punches. But please use spell-check next time ;).
I am very pleased with the IS script coverage I received. I am left feeling very invigorated and confident in my writing. I received commentary that indicated the reader really 'got it' while providing positive recommendations for making just 2 tiny aspects more clear and I appreciated that a lot. I immediately could see what the reader was getting on about and easily revised my script to ensure these elements were clarified. The reader's notes did make a few incorrect assumptions, however, but they were extremely minor and could be ignored. Such as mentioning the script was part of a 2 part pilot. I couldn't really understand as to just why this assumption was made- it was nothing negative- just an odd thing to come about. The other comment was a very positive remark that it would make for a 'well-regarded, long running TV show.' but it is actually a limited series, with a defined beginning middle and end so that was actually incorrect- yet, the comment was still a very strong compliment regardless and I'll take it :) My only 'negative' reaction was that the commentary seemed to be exceedingly more positive than some of the scores left- which just seemed a little bit contradictory- considering how the reader does remark upon it's strengths in highly favourable words throughout. In the end, the score came just shy of a 'recommend' which was a tiny bit annoying for me. Most of the scores were on the high end, but a few of them just seemed oddly just low enough to rob me of a 'recommend' :P But those remarks I leave aside, considering they are irrelevant to the real takeaway -the reader seems to have loved it, and had zero complaints or negative criticism at all. Overall I am extremely happy with this reader which brings me to the thing that is upsetting for me... I wish I could send the updated script to the same reader, along with the remainder of my limited-series scripts for complete coverage. The reader did seem to be very much 'into it' and I cannot help but feel that this person would be an excellent choice for full coverage of all 12 scripts, but it seems that IS does not make this possible, based on exhaustive searches on the website. The reader's ID number appears nowhere in DevKing, so it appears that I may be entirely out of luck with making that happen. DK appears to be independent of the service I received? So, the reason I provide 4 and not 5 stars isn't so much because of the reader but because I wish that IS made it possible for me to provide all my scripts to this reader, whoever he or she might be. I have no need or desire to know the person's name or private contact information, I leave such requests to unprofessional types. I just want to send all my scripts for coverage to this reader. But it appears to be impossible. If it -is- possible, IS does not make this information clear in any way. Because IS does not really have a comprehensive communications channel for help (just the FAQ page where most support tickets end up being rejected despite the lack of an answer in the FAQ's) I am left thinking I have little recourse. I found a reader out of sheer luck that I feel I can trust for excellent professional feedback and am left with no way to get more from this same reader. So, that is on IS to make better if they want more business from me ;) So to reader 95A59: HUGE thanks for your coverage, I would LOVE to provide you my entire limited series for your feedback.
Based on my experience with other review and analysis services, Industrial Scripts is the finest. So far, I and my partner have used the TV Pilot Script Analysis and Logline services. The script analysis was thoughtful, thorough, well-written--very professional. We received a very good overall score, and revised the script in the areas suggested. This has led to our script being selected by the 2021 Vail Screenplay Competition, and we are waiting for news about our submission to The Titan Awards (2021). T Also, we submitted our logline for analysis, and are grateful that our favorite is also the one recommended by Industrial Scripts. Next, we plan to submit our series bible for analysis. So, Industrial Scripts is our analysis coverage choice for all services!
"Four stars"
I've commissioned two reports from Industrial Scripts and both times I've found their input to be substantial and helpful with clear, detailed advice on how to improve my script.
Whilst the script readers did a great job in critiquing my script, highlighting errors, incorporating creative solutions to those errors, I was left underserved as a client. This, I must stress, wasn't due to the script readers themselves. More so to do with the cooperate arm of Industrial scripts.
The coverage I received was comprehensive and gave some useful advice. In general a new perspective helps fill in missing elements or certain blind spots you might have as a writer. Although I certainly didn't agree w/ all the notes - mostly stylistically - other ones I embraced. I did pay extra for the pages which went beyond 120 so I was hoping for equally longer coverage notes but did not get them. There was also quite a bit not commented on/ignored. Despite the fact, I would definitely use Industrial Scripts again - and maybe request a different reader for variety.
The analysis of the reader gave me a very clear impression of how the script come across. The reader explained their responses clearly and each time supported them with arguments and examples which made them very clear. The reader also understood the intentions of the script very well and even gave some constructive advice on areas which they felt were not working as well as they could. The comments were also written in a manner that was kind and friendly even when disagreeing or feeling the script fell short of it's ambitions, something which allowed me to read them without getting defensive and dismissive. I only give the rating of 4 instead of 5 because near the end of the script the reader misread a couple of important scenes which led to some confusing comments on their part and a missed opportunity for me to now what they thought of that part of the script.
Critique was helpful. Agree with all recommendations for improvement.
I'm taking off one star because the Industrial Scripts website is out of date. The Black List and Coverfly allow writers to upload new drafts while waiting for a reader to download the script. I made some changes a few hours after uploading my script and Industrial Scripts charged me $15 extra to upload the new draft. The website has an old, clunky feel, including strange "subgenre" choices after I selected "comedy" as the genre. The coverage was five stars. I've had about thirty paid coverage notes and this was one of the four that made me make major changes in my script. Only this reader got the comps right, including two relatively obscure recent movies that no other readers apparently had heard of. The reader then provided a deep structural analysis, making me realize that my script lacked an Act IV (in which the protagonist works to overcome a flaw or lack). Again, this was one of only a handful of notes in which the reader was capable of structural analysis.
This is the second time I’ve received script coverage from Industrial Scripts. The coverage was balanced and fair, and useful for highlighting any issues that are easy for a writer to miss. I would highly recommend using their services.
We did face some problems with the report we've ordered, however, Industrial Scripts response was very good and they managed to satisfactorily solve the issue. The final report we've got is definitely helpful for the re-writing of a new draft of our script. Thanks, guys
After contacting my reviewer about a coverage deficiency that I perceived, I received additional valuable feedback from him/her. So, I've upped my grade from 3* to 4*.
I got thorough feedback on my screenplay. I was apprehensive and sad that I didn’t get a recommend, but happy and appreciative of the fact the consultant/reader thinks my project needs more development. The Consultant/Reader is highly professional, thorough, and care about my writing. Not only was the report I got remarkably though, but the analyst went above and beyond, even correcting my errors. I am seriously considering sending the project over to IS for doctoring.
I had reached the point in my writing process where I had a solid second draft yet I knew it was time to get outside input before showing my script to the industry. I've used several different coverage services in the past, yet I've had reason to question the professionalism of my readers. I was excited to find Industrial Scripts with their extensive catalog of serious reviews. I was not disappointed. My reader gave great notes that will definitely level up and add nuance to my story. My only suggestion is I found their rating system confusing and I would have liked a brief comment next to each grade. I'm looking forward to making their suggested changes to my script! Thank you, Industrial Scripts. I'll be back.
Worth the money but remember it's just a selling tool and confidence builder for you and the producer. Nothing is ever perfect. I thought the reviewer did a fine job and made some valid points. But you can be rewriting till the end if time. Take the report, accept its advice, rewrite if necessary, but don't pontificate. As ID say It's only one reviewers option. Get your work out there.
The notes are extremely good, but let down by a terrible website submission process that requires a 5 minute YouTube video to explain it, and a slightly irritable (and huge!) FAQ section which warns you against submitting queries that are already covered, so a 14 day response v 72 hours. Better design might head off those pesky timewasters!
Hi Eveline, thanks so much for your kind words about the script notes you received from us. You'll be pleased to hear we have overhauled our script submission flow in recent weeks, and now 81% of clients are rating it as "smooth as silk"!! We're sorry you caught the tail-end of the inferior version, and hopefully everything will be much easier for you next time. Best wishes, Ben
The reader did absorb the entirety of the script, and produced actionable notes. Thank you! I will use your services again.
Delighted we could assist you Andrew, look forward to reading future projects!
I was please with the proof reading of my script. I got the sense the reader was familiar with the material I was adapting and appreciated the little tweaks here and there to the dialog. The work on the script helped make the story flow more clear. Thank you.
Industrial Scripts - Screenplay Editors is rated 4.69 based on 618 reviews