Matalan Reviews

Over A Week
Returns & Refunds
Refunds Process
Difficult

Tell us how Matalan made you happy
Matalan 1 star review on 19th September 2018
JoThomson68
Matalan 1 star review on 26th July 2017
Hayley A
Matalan 1 star review on 21st July 2017
Matalan 1 star review on 21st July 2017
More Photos & Videos
I got treat horrible a woman on a desk called steph wouldn't let me have my item as I told her I didn't get an email but I said I have a bank card or a state ment but she still wouldn't give me them as thay arrive
Shocking experience with Head Office customer services. Even store staff exasperated by the inability of Head Office to ratify store decision. Seem to take an approach of "we don't believe you", so let's start from there. Absolutely clueless how to deal with customers. Head of their customers services seriously needs to understand the importance of people skills.
Terrible experience!
Dishonest and disrespectful towards customers. Don’t pay attention While working at till.
The employees not trained how to deal with customers. I have been cheated recently by an employee on the till who didn’t returned my back. She kept talking with her colleagues while I was paying in cash and didn’t return the right amount of money back. She started arguing that she received £2.20 less than that was actually paid. She wasted my precious time in arguing and investigating. The manager investigating the camera for the recording but said that they couldn’t find the evidence though it’s clear in recording that u paid the full money I claimed.
The only cause for all this dispute was the ignorance of the worker at till who was not attending the customer carefully and she didn’t focussed busy talking with her colleague. She didn’t count the total money paid to her and refused to give back the right amount due.
It was my first time shopping at Matalan and it was terrible experience at Slough branch.
I ordered online to be delivered to my local Blackburn store, the estimated delivery was 3-5 days. Needless to say I did not receive any contact from them.

I called into the store to check if it had actually arrived. I was greeted by the most aggressive female store supervisor, who as I arrived was speaking to a member of her staff in a rude and aggressive manner.

She told me that the item had not arrived and on three occasions tried to grab my mobile from me to view the email from Matalan.

Completely unacceptable.

I was then shocked to see that the item I had ordered were on display a d for sale in the store.

The rude supervisor told me that I couldn't take one of these items and could not cancel the order until it arrived in the store.

Tried to contact Matalan with no response

I will never shop in a Matalan store or on line. Terrible service from both.
Worst online customer service ever. Click and collect takes ages they don’t respond to emails either. I honestly would not recommend them
Online they are rubbish, aided and abetted by DPD
Ordered - nothing happens, 5 days later an mail lands saying they have sent the order, and I'll get a mail after that and a text to say when it's in the store to collect.
Nothing happens.
I ring up "we'll open an investigation"
Nothing happens.
I ring again "It's been lost" they say "re-order"
"Really???" I say
"We'll send you a 20% discount voucher as an apology"
Great, except their website doesn't recognise the voucher.
So I drive to the store, pick an alternative suit, explain whats happened to the manageress who apologies, and gives me a 20% discount.
In short, on-line they are rubbish, in the shop, helpful.
Not an Online Company you can trust
Of the two orders placed on line, neither have been delivered when they said they would be.

The first order had a couple of items missing, however they were on the delivery note. This left me without the items I had paid for and no way to prove it didn’t receive them. A call to customer services didn’t help, so I had to cover the cost.

Fast forward a couple of years and I have placed another order (I had forgotten my previous experience) for one item and has not been delivered. it’s in a black hole, no one knows where it is.

A refund (in the form of gift cards) is only given when you return the goods that you have ordered.

The cost of the items falls well below the cost of recovery through the court. The only real course of action is not to deal with them at all.

If you do decide to place an order online, do it on the basis that you may not end up with the goods and out of pocket. Do not place an order believing that you will receive what you have paid for.

It is obvious that Matalan do not have the necessary resources to provide an online service.
I asked in the Macclesfield store when purchasing if I could return briefs if the matching bras did not fit and was told yes as long as labels, hangers still attached. The following day I returned the items to be told I had been given the wrong information and they were none returnable. I would not have bought if I had been given the correct information at the time of purchase! The Supervisor then found it very funny when I asked for his name and told me his name was Bob when actually it was Ash. Very poor!
Bait and switch online scammers. When you place an order, they tell you it'll be sent in a few days. Then, days later they say they are low on stock and it will be a further delay. When you place an online order, expect to wait WEEKS for it to arrive. Or better yet, order from somewhere else.
Waited ages in store and they couldn't find my parcel. Wont be using this service again! Could of saved more time and fuel just paying the extortionate postage rate!
Online Order
Placed an order online and thought it would be a better option to deliver to store for collection as I am at work all day.
Placed order and received delivery date as the 6th which would make it a wait time of 7 days.
Thought 7 days is rather long but went along with it as I could collect on the 7th Saturday not in work.
So instructions said I would receive an email and sms to collect my package on the 6th sounds good.
6th arrives and passes and no email no sms so I ring up today 7th only to be told one of my items has arrived in store but you can not collect as the order is not complete the other item is delayed.
I ask when it is going to arrive and am told should be around middle of next week.
This is a first time I have used Matalan online and will be my last if I wanted to wait 2 weeks that would be fine but really these days online orders arrive next day in most cases or at least 3 days later.
I can order from Germany and receive in 2 days,China free postage and get my parcel in 2 weeks.
Matalan based up the road in Knowsley can not get my items to me and there warehouse is 30 minutes drive up the M62.
Poor service.
Ordered four frames on line. Said delivery within five working days, took seven, plus one frame damaged. Requested replacement rather than refund, but got refund anyway. They said they could not resend due to 'system restrictions'. In other words they didn't want to pay delivery costs, but I could reorder myself provided I was willing to pay the £3.95 postage. Well, they can have the other three unbroken frames back. Matalan is struggling if they can't get the basics of customer care right they'll go under - won't be a loss.
My parcel has apparently gone missing!????????
Appalling customer service - I ordered items which my daughter had asked for and when I picked the parcel up half were missing but I had no communication to say this was the case. Only upon contacting Matalan did they tell me they could not fulfil the order as they did not have enough stock!! An email communication to tell me this before I picked the parcel up would have been helpful! I am waiting on average 3 days before getting an email response even though this is an ongoing issue and this is still not resolved even though we are 2 weeks on! I will NEVER be ordering from this company again
Lost my order, which was gift for someone. Called the call centre which is based abroad. Useless customer service. No idea how to deal with customers and very rude. They also cut you off on purpose.
I recently purchased a matalan gift voucher for my brother in law for Christmas. He has now recently left my sister but matalan has said;I am not allowed a refund . I'm very angry with the so called Customer service.
The new store seems to discriminate against disabled people, they are to be appluded for the disabled parking ( right outside the doors) BUT god forbid you need a shopping trolley ( to lean on ) these are situated in the shelter across the carpark???? ,The signage in the shop is misleading also,I complained to the manager, also to customer service at head office,I was met with the same athapy
This should be zero stars. Online order total of £138.50 on 13/10/19 and paid a premium for next day delivery. None of the five items arrived next day but two on 16/10/19 and one 17/10/19. One is still outstanding. The customer helpline staff really could not care less (plainly rude IMHO) even though this is luggage for our holiday due imminently. Emailed Customer services asking for help......silence. Worst service I've ever had... really, no exaggeration. Very upset.
Trying to phone Ayr store but was put through to central centre they said they could give me number but hey I didn’t have a pen . You just lost a sale Matalan
Matalan's customer service is appealing.
They never reply to your emails, you have the automated acknowledgement email that your query will be answered asap but this never happens. After waiting 5 days i had to call the customer care team.

This happened 3x in two weeks.

Chris Waterhouse at Bradford Mayo Avenue
resolved the issue straight away and had professional customer service skills. And kept apologising for the delay and the issue that arised from there side.

I would give him 5 stars strictly based on his professionalism. He also admitted have bad the online team were.

Please note: my review is strictly based on customer care team online.

Staff definately needs either retraining or replacing.
Matalan is rated 4.03 based on 1,557 reviews