Matalan Reviews

Over A Week
Returns & Refunds
Refunds Process
Difficult

Tell us how Matalan made you happy
Matalan 1 star review on 19th September 2018
JoThomson68
Matalan 1 star review on 26th July 2017
Hayley Armit
Matalan 1 star review on 21st July 2017
Matalan 1 star review on 21st July 2017
More Photos & Videos
Matalan cares more about making money than their employees health and wellfare
Visited at quiet time on a Friday morning. One worker on till whilst another stood chatting to them. We stood in queue whilst they finished their chat. Appalling customer service. Think some training is required
Ordered wooden relax letters and screws had come apart - letters were dirty and chipped at ends. Had to get my husband to screw back and paint edges. Just wrapping them in bubble wrap is not protective enough
Purchased Brogue boots (mens) look good, although the soles are paper thin and like walking with no shoes on so uncomfortable. Only worn once and think I may have to throw them.
I have been shopping @ Hartlepool Matalan for a good 15 years, Always had very good service & people who worked there were always friendly.
Just today had such a bad experience with some one called Michelle
I did purchased £25 worth of shopping, just seconds later after I purchased, I realized that I can spend £30 & receive 20% discount. Michelle was very rude with me front of other customers & told me I am being awkward.. & walked away. Michelle also was screeming & said, I only can use the discount once, which I totally understand, Michelle was not prepared to listen that, I haven’t even used my discount not even once.

If Michelle is having bad day, can’t take it on customers.. I didn’t even receive an apology, Such a rude behavior. I am very upset for the way, I been treated by your Matalan staff.
Paid for next day delivery to then be tolled next day dose not mean next day ??? Ordered 26th now 29 th still no text to say I can collect
Clothes quality and durability is awful. I buy my work shirts, and suits from there. The shirts keep ripping, buttons coming off and seems breaking by the loose thread. The shirts do this after a couple months. The suit thread has come apart in several areas. Durability has to be 1/10. Appearance 7/10. The fit 5/10. Price 8/10. Quality 3/10. Overall 3/10. Would not recommend, but are good for short term basis. Cheap for a reason.
Shocking customer service from Matalan. Placed an order for next day delivery, called customer services as no text received, advised part of order had been received and other part would arrive in the afternoon. Phoned the store and told we will send a text without even offer of checking it out. Following day called customer services again to be advised my order was at the store and as soon as it was checked in I would receive a text and customer services would email me......still waiting on day 3! Popped into the store on evening of day 2, staff very helpful although only parcel 1 received. Managed to pick up replacement items off the shop floor apart from one and paid for them. Customer services today, day 3, apologise but will not resend replacement goods to the store, bearing in mind I've already paid for these. The item I couldn't buy in-store is now full price and I explained this, advisor discussed with a manager who eventually offered 10% as a goodwill gesture, original saving was 30% and discount codes are now available for 20% so where is the good will gesture in that!! At the end of the day, Matalan has cost me a trip to the store, 3 phone calls and personal time trying to sort this out. I will never order from Matalan online again.
I ordered some tops and hoodie for my nephew. I returned them on 7th June and they received the items on 8th June.
I have emailed them twice so far to see how long the refund takes and have had no reply to either.
Am waiting on refund to order something for his birthday 😞
Hi I placed an online order on the 24th of November I contacted matalan to receive an automated response stating the deliverys are very busy and that my delivery would be getting to me, I waited 6 days for my items which finally arrived on the 30th November, I think it's disgusting that 1 I never received an confirmation e-mail after placing my order through matalan and 2 I have yet to receive an e-mail confirming everything. The things I ordered are great I haven't got an problem with them but the customer service is appalling.
Just shopped at matalan mount pleasent hull I was waiting in the queue for 30min 3 customers left the queue so you lost a lot of custom they had a lot of items. There were 3 on the till it is a bust time now I was very disappointed I have never had to wait that long before and I shop a lot at matalan very disappointed customer
On a Sunday afternoon the Stockport store was terribly understaffed. I needed school shoes for my little one and there were no assistants to help. On top of this the queue was unbearably long. 3 cashiers with atleast 25 people queuing. I decided not to purchase from there and left the shop.
Ordered click n collect online and expected it within 5 working days as promised (even tho there is a great big notice instore saying it only takes 3) as my item arrived to late I went into my nearest store to get my money refunded only to be told that my item had been sent to another store which was 2 buses away and I would have to go there to get my refund,after speaking to the man in charge who told me his manager was not in that day and he explained again that NO refund would be given unless I went to this other branch he eventually gave me a number to ring whereupon if contacted would give the said refund,it would have been helpul if he had told me this the first time I spoke to him instead I waisted a total of 40 mins in this store for nothing,my complaint is 1. The way it was handled 2.my wasted journey 3.the item not arriving in time n 4. The way the young assistant standing behind the senior one seemed to think it very funny n was smirking all the time. I frequently use Matalan and I expected better.
my problem is with click and collect,i ordered two shirts and a top in the sale last week, had text on Tuesday to say my items were ready for collection, went up to Merthyr store but my parcel/ order number was not the items I ordered. after 20 mins at customer service, a lady got me one shirt, had to have an alternative shirt, my top was out of stock, I was disgusted as click and collect supposed to be quicker, did email cs but haven't had a reply, the lady that tried to sort it for me said this has never happened before but reading these reviews it obviously has. I for one wont be shopping online at Matalan again.
On the 17/06/18 at 10.43 am I ordered 2 tops on click and collect next day delivery.payed 1.99 .so ordered before 4 pm cut off .i assumed they would arrive in store today 18/06/18 they didn’t
I ordered sandals online, they delivered wrong item. Instead of sandals I got flip flops and on a complaint was told that they cannot do anything about it and they are not there to collect it and replace it. When it was their mistake!
The suitcases are as described - lightweight and robust, but the service received when collecting was horrendous, I queued for ages waiting to be served, finally getting served only to be told that my goods weren't there even though I'd handed them my email to say my order was available for collection. I was told they had no order in stock under the name of Watts - and could I have ordered in another name, would I like to go off for another 15 minutes while they had another look? However after waiting approximately 45 minutes (and missing a dentist appointment), my order was found - under the name of Watts. Just relieved I'd ordered in plenty of time before my holiday, and will take this experience on board for any future orders I might have.
I ordered 2 bedside tables which were much darker in colour then they appeared on the website. To return them cost £20!
The item you described on online was not the same as the item that was delivered to us. We called your call centre and was told that it was a replacement and was exactly the same. It was not the same as there was no aluminium content in the chairs that you delivered. We chose chairs with metal as all the others we had viewed in local storeswere just plastic and we wanted something stronger. We were given the option of returning free of charge but we needed immediate use of the chairs and we didn't want the bother of choosing further products from a nother source? We were then offered a small discount which we accepted. We did not notice until after that there was slight damage to one of the chairs!! Not a good experience but we settled for second best through exasperation. This was a long while ago so why have you waited so long to ask for our review?
The rug was nice but the delivery time was too lengthy as I wanted to give it to someone as a gift. I do feel item of this size could easily be available on click and collect taking a maximum of 2/3 days. Even when I called up they were unable to give me a date had to wait for the email.
Matalan is rated 4.04 based on 1,548 reviews