Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
Buyers Beware! Open door guts the properties of fridge and all window coverings, which isn’t a problem until you bring In your new fridge and find out that the water to the ice dispenser doesn’t work...and you couldn’t test it because you didn’t have a spare fridge along for your inspection. I closed late on a Friday and called them on Monday and they said “too bad” you should have pointed it out during your inspection. I also had the false cabinet front under the kitchen sink fall off- it looked crooked and when I touched it, it came off in my hand along with a bunch of wood glue. It had been repaired with some ill fitting plastic brackets and wood glue.

Open door puts lipstick all over the pug, and unless your inspector goes over that house with colonoscopy scope, you are going to be paying for plumbers and carpenters!! They refused to fix several issues that we did point out in the inspection and because I was in a hurry, I didn’t make them...now I wish I’d never heard of them!
They don’t fix repairs on a home they’re selling if there’s too much listed issues to address. They under estimate the repair cost by giving you back money that they know won’t cover it. On top of that, they over price the house. Opendoor needs to do an inspection before they buy out someone from their old home. Or, fix the problem so u can get paid.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Been trying to close with open door this is the worst experience ever.
On 2/12/2020 Open Door offered us $344,700. Their Customer support Representative, Lori Fitzgerald, called to review the contract. We verbally accepted and Lori informed us that we had until 2/16/2020 to sign the contract and send it back to them. Today, 2/14/2020, we had a window of time to sit down and complete the contract. When we opened the attachment, the offer had changed. Now 2 days later, without so much as inspecting the house, Open Door has dropped the offer to $319,000, using comparables from a neighborhood that no realtor who knows our area would use as comparables for the neighborhood where our home is located. Getting involved with a company that is not honest on the front end is a bad idea. I expect to be jerked around every step of the way when dealing with this kind of dishonesty. Thank you Open Door for highlighting the fact that local realtors earn every dime and save most homeowners money in the long run. I will be listing with a responsible, knowledgeable, trustworthy Northlake realtor who knows the value of our neighborhood.
Jennifer, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
Opendoor offers convenience to seller and buyer indeed. But the houses sold by opendoor look shabby and inferior but sort of overpriced. Opendoor maybe fixes the bought homes a bit but the works like painting/trimming/flooring seems from inexperienced handyman/contractor? Why? To contain cost? But if opendoor select to pay to fix things why not make it look good to attract buyer? The poor quality of such fixes make buyer more hesitant to proceed.

Also I use opendoor buyer agent and once assigned an agent, there seems no way to switch without the current agent knows. This is not good for buyer not satisfied with the current agent. Such buyer may look for other realty companies instead of opendoor for future transactions. Opendoor should make a better system in this case.
I contacted opendoor to have them make an offer on my home. I also contacted several others. I offered for everyone to come view my house telling them upfront it needed some repairs. Before opendoor would even come look at my house they wanted me to sign a contract and then they would judge how much repair was needed and deduct it from their offer, while under contract. No thanks! Plenty of others are willing to work with me.
Adam, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
We got an offer on our house from OpenDoor, and the offer was insultingly low. It was $50k-$60k less than what the comps in our neighborhood were selling for. And they claim to offer fair market value.
Craig, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
As a buyers agent, I have had the extreme DISPLEASURE of working with opendoor. So far, still under contract, it has been 10 full days of trying (weekends included) to speak to a human being who is on the listing end of this transaction. Opendoor is notorious for offering all cash offers to buy your house - unfortunately that comes at the price of you giving up most of your equity so they can capitalize on it. Opendoor leverages your hardship and exploits it so they can capitalize on it. My suggestion is that you find a Realtor who wants to help you and has your best interest at heart. Opendoor cares nothing about the people they continuously take advantage of. Oh... If you are under contract with opendoor..... Do not count on getting in touch with anyone during the sales process. They will not respond to any attempt at talking with them.
Hi Joe, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
If I could give negative stars, I would!!!! Let me start from the beginning.....We are under contract with a home who Opendoor is selling. EVERY time we needed to enter the home either with our agent, inspection, or having someone come for an estimate, the code to enter the home was either wrong or they never sent one. We would always have to call around to get a new code. During inspection it was found that they covered a ton of mold with new carpet and the foundation has sunk and needs major repairs. We received our estimate which is for $46,000 to lift the foundation (which we sent to Opendoor to review) and they want to just take $15,000 off asking price. They have absolutely ZERO sense of urgency and will NOT get back to you in timely manner at all....its when they feel like it!!! We are using FHA, and a previous FHA was used and fell through for some reason....likely that Opendoor knows about the foundation problem (and the mold) and did NOT disclose any of this from the start. They just covered cracks on the window and door frames (from sinking foundation), slapped some paint over it and covered the moldy basement floor with new carpet hoping no one would know and buy it!!!! This is why the home has sat for sooooo long! I hope you sit on it forever, Opendoor! This is appalling!!! We have waited, and waited, and waited for responses from these people.....and they just flat out don't care!!!!! They say they will get back to you, and just NEVER do. DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They are deceitful and sneaky......This is the absolute worst company ever
Anna, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
Worst buying experience EVER! I have purchased several homes and have never run across a company that will not send the information required to close! WORST!!! Never deal with open house!!!!
Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
My girlfriend bought a house through Open Door , and I will say that the process was extremely easy. Except for the fact that they kept changing her closing date and said someone would come to her, and then they emailed everything and wanted everything done by the end of the day, the rest was pretty easy. That's all I can say, the process was fairly easy but they come across as really unorganized. And on top of that, buyer beware of the company that they hire to do any changes, remodels or renovations. The company that did her house basically did a shoddy job of putting new flooring down, the cabinets were not supported as we eventually found out, they painted over rotting wood on the outside. Basically they will come in and paint over anything and everything and put cheap flooring and carpet down while doing a really crappy job and then up the price of the house to the premium dollar. When she called to complain about certain things,, they offered her a $150 credit, that was quite laughable, but she liked the house, it was indeed cute and I own my own home maintenance business and told her I could do her no good job I'm getting the house where she wanted it. Moral of the story, pay attention unless you want to put a lot of extra money into the house on top of what you paid for it, unless you can do the work yourself, because they obviously don't care about what they're actually selling you. Not a good way to maintain a reputation
Scott, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
Don't sell your house with opendoor. They are such ripoffs. They took 9% out for fees and repairs. They come in and find the tiniest things wrong and take more money out and then when its listed they didn't even repair what they took out of money. If you want to give away your home sell it to opendoor. Theres a special place in hell for rip off companies like this.
I bought a house that was "owned" by OpenDoor and wanted to write a review regarding my experience. After initially viewing the house we received a very misleading email saying they had a ton of interest and were closing offers in 24 hours. We put in an offer over asking price. After days of not hearing back and then receiving multiple counter offers we find that we were the only offer they had and that they won't go under contract until we were out of our option period with the sale of our current home. While this may be policy, it is a huge pain and any contingent buyers should be aware of this.
The rest of the process was ok until it came to repairs. The garage door in the home flat out didn't function and they didn't want to repair it. We ended up having to take off a few other minor repair requests in order for them to do it.
During our final walkthrough we tested the garage door and it was not functioning. We contacted the agent and she said that it was repaired (even though we had just tested it and found that to be incorrect). We gave them 24 hours to get the garage door functioning again and come time for closing it still was not repaired. Turns out the agent hadn't put in the repair request at all. We ended up agreeing to an amendment to the contract that the repair would be completed after closing- but they wouldn't give us a timeline.
About 1.5 weeks after closing I contacted the agent to see when the repair would be scheduled and the agent said "it was repaired on ____ date." Which, was the date we signed the amendment, the garage door was not repaired.
In the end, the garage door has been repaired but the fact that it hadn't been done before closing, and that they agent didn't even know the status was concerning to me. Still a month later, our lockbox is still on the door and we are waiting for someone to remove it.
While they might be great for sellers, they are a pain in the butt if you are buying from them. Just wanted to give future buyers a heads up.
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor Kate, and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
Nightmare Experience — Buyer Beware: these are “newbie” real estate agents with very little experience with anything other than run-of-the-mill SFRs or REOs. If you are a real estate investor, a high roller, or have more sophisticated deals, these “kids” are not going to know what to do with it. Unless you’re a first-time homebuyer, you will likely become fed up with their inexperience, or their constant reliance on computer analytics and inability to use their brains.
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a less than satisfactory experience with us. We'd like to learn more. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address. Thank you!
Opendoor was an awful experience for my husband and I. Long story short (as it could be very long). I am a realtor and this was my first time dealing with Opendoor. I hope it will be the last. This transaction was for my husband and I. We get under contract and per Opendoor's policy, BUYER NOT ALLOWED to check the septic system. The buyer (per GAR contract) is allowed to check ALL components of house when in the Due Diligence Period. Septic system problems can get very pricey, upwards to $20,000! This in itself is extremely shady and awful for ANY buyer. My hubby and I went forward with the transaction anyways and found a lot of issues wrong with the house. Opendoor gave us $550 and denied everything else. I had to FIGHT to get all Closing Costs paid out of the starting gate. If I didn't, we probably would have had 2K or 3K paid if lucky. We ended up Closing on the house and had our septic company come out the day after. The septic tank was almost overflowing and was NEVER pumped or inspected, even though Opendoor told me that it was pumped and had a inspection letter that was given to them. Opendoor is shady and if you have a choice to go deal with someone else, do it!
We want all of our clients to have the best possible experience with Opendoor, if we've fallen short we want to make it right. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
I bought and sold with Opendoor. I really should write 2 reviews. Selling was a 5 star experience very easy and efficient. Both the gentlemen who did my home inspections were so great. Buying on the other hand was a 1 star experience. We didn’t specifically go out looking for an Opendoor home it just happened to be the home he loved. We used a realtor to help us find a home which did make us exempt from all monetary extras. It does say that on their website. The reason they get 1 star is when we submitted the offer we said we wanted the 15 year old upstairs carpet changed. They excepted our offer only wanting to change our close date. It was written in bold letters they excepted all other terms. When it came time for me to sign the contract my realtor could not find the paper about the carpet. When she called to ask about this they told her They would discuss it after the due diligence period. Which of course meant no new carpet. I thought this was very sneaky if they had just been upfront and said no we will not replace the carpet it would’ve been fine. There are a few things after our own inspection that needed to be repaired. Open door only gave us $150 to repair the dishwasher and toilet. Just know that these homes are very much as is. And even though I lost money by having my own realtor I am grateful she was there because she had to be on top of them constantly to make sure things were done. It would’ve been a very hard process to go alone.
We're sorry that this was your experience Stephanie, and thanks for letting us know. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this further!
We found THE house and absoluetly fell in love with it. I hated to let it go but I got tired of going back and fourth. Opendoor would not work with us AT ALL. There were very simple fixes. If you want me to pay full price plus closing costs the very least you could do is fix the minor issues. After a while we gave up and began looking elsewhere and found another home. Upon terminating the contract they asked what could be done to save the contract?!? Absolutely nothing! You wasted the most valuable thing I have, MY TIME.
We strive to give everyone a great experience, and we are sorry you did not receive one. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
My Open Door offer was well below the market value. I had to wait a little longer, but I sold my home for $30k more than the offer Open Door gave me. Well worth any hassles of showing or keeping the house clean.
Josh, I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
The online offer to sell our house was almost a joke. Their comps were 3 bedroom vs 4 bedroom, not upgraded, etc.
Jeff, I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
Opendoor needs to be aware that nickel and diming potential buyers in order to satisfy their bottom line is not going to work. We had an inspector and appraiser as well as me being an appraiser and adjuster to see all the repairs needed in a home we were interested in. They didn't heed the words or reports of three professionals, they wanted to rep as "seller" even though they own the property and change numbers over the course of the diligence period. Water heater that was 17 yrs old making noise, foundation issues, etc. Don't let your home be sold by them either!
Opendoor is rated 4.04 based on 695 reviews