Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Under an hour
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Selling my home to Opendoor was the best experience, EVER. I have purchased 13 homes and sold 12 so I have many experiences that I compare it with. I was VERY reluctant in the beginning. Open doors procedures that look simple seems like a ploy and gimmick. Let me tell you, it is exactly what you are told. The price offered for my home was very competitive. I doubt that I would have been able to turn a higher price if I had listed. I was charged a 6% commission, but I would have been charged that also if I listed. I accepted my offer, my inspection was 2 days later and painless. I was updated regularly regarding my closing and anytime I had questions, they were answered quickly and professionally. Bronson Highum assisted me with the sale of my home and there aren’t enough positive things that I can say. From start to finish...I closed Thursday, March 12th...this was super easy, stress less and I will definitely call them first if I ever decide to sell my new home that I just purchased.
That's wonderful feedback to hear, Kelly! We always strive to provide a great customer experience with Opendoor and your feedback is incredibly valuable to us. Thanks for taking the time to share!
Buyers, don’t waste your time. They won’t do a home warranty or termite bond. They said the repairs on our inspection were not repairs but “conditions” and offered pennies. It was a complete waste of our time. I will never, ever put an offer on an Opendoor home again. They should be transparent about selling as is.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
The offer came quickly, and what little contact I've had with representatives of Opendoor has been polite and professional. No complaint with that. I got a (very) low-ball offer, and one Opendoor told me they couldn't increase. Their business model is not at all what I thought. I thought it was "we'll buy your house for cash, no muss, no fuss," but it's "we'll buy your house for cash, charge you for everything we fix or update, then charge you real estate fees as well" - not sure how this is appreciably different from a normal real estate transaction, other than there is no competition. The comps Opendoor provided for my house on 1/16/2020 were all from 2018, with the most recent being in September 2018. Denver has a very competitive real estate market, very low inventory, and I'm selling in a very desirable neighbourhood. In early 2018, my house appraised for $50k more than Opendoor offered me (keeping in mind their offer price will only go down for repairs or upgrades they make), and has only increased in value since. Opendoor can work their business model any way they want. If they make money that way, power to them. But I think people should be aware, and should be very thorough in their research before accepting any Opendoor offer. Don't accept comps that are a year-and-a-half old, for instance.
Marin, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
I contacted opendoor to get an offer on my townhome. They looked at several comps, including a townhome just a couple of doors down that had the same layout as mine.. They gave me a valuation that was 20k less than my neighbor sold for. On top of this, they took out 10% for seller fees, So the amount that I would net would be so far below the market value that it was just laughable (~50k). I'm glad that I didn't go any further with them.
Paul, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like to please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
I have had the same experience as most of you... I am also looking to purchase and found a house opendoor is selling. The house has been under contract 3x and back on the market. Every time I go to offer they start off with no offers at first then all of a sudden it’s multiple offers. Ha! To opendoor keep your dam houses. I will keep looking and if I see that you are selling a house, I will look the other way! I will not partake in your shenanigans!
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor Kita, and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
Our friends have helped us investigate Opendoor's procedures as an added protection for ourselves as buyers due to many of their bad reviews. In doing so, we made inquiries on several properties to see how the negotiating process works. Obviously, Opendoor favors buyers that buy through Opendoor processes rather than with a private real estate agent who will actually advise them. In this way, they are able to take advantage of buyers who may be unfamiliar with buying real estate. We are working with Opendoor right now to buy a house that has been on the market for 90+ days. We have offered fair offers for the property and have asked for a 60 day close period per their stated declaration on their website, "With Opendoor, you choose your closing date so it can take anywhere from 10-60 days–the timeline is up to you". The agent refuses to go past 30 days and countered a price 1k lower than their published asking price. The next day, the agent says the seller has multiple offers and the seller is calling for everyone's highest and best offer by today at 3pm. This is a common trend for any offer they seem close to accepting based on other reviews and is meant to drive up the price. Furthermore, this is a property owned by Opendoor but the agent refers to Opendoor as "the seller". We all know that Opendoor is calling all the shots here. We find that Opendoor engages in non-tranparent, unethical business practices to maximize their profits. Quality control and customer service are lost in the way that they've set up their virtual presence, and obvious improvements could be made if they valued their employees and their customers. It is difficult to find reviews regarding the buyer's perspective, but I have searched Yelp, the BBB, Glassdoor, Indeed, and this page which is monitored by them. The consensus for buyer reviews is 1 star but Opendoor masks that with the higher reviews made by people who had a good experience selling to Opendoor (especially when they were in a bind). If any one is thinking about buying from Opendoor, we would encourage you to investigate their business practices and reviews for yourself and come prepared for the negotiation process.
Hi Vickie, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to make it right. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
Beware of doing any form of business with opendoor. We purchased a property in Queen Creek Arizona, it was nothing but problems from the beginning. Upon home inspection it was found that our air conditioning unit was not working properly and needed small repairs. We submitted the report to open door where they refused to make the repairs to the air conditioning unit. Imagine buying a home in the hot desert and having the seller not agree to fix air-conditioning. Eventually after going back and forth, they agreed to fix it. Additionally, The property had three natural gas leaks.. These were detected by Mesa Gas where they actually had to shut the gas line down. We had to have our hot water tank completely replaced after only three days of moving into the property. We also signed an agreement that open door would repair to wooden banister going to the second floor within 30 days of the closure of the sale. Upon sending their own hired a contractor to our home, he stated that he could not make the repair because the banisters were custom made. He also stated that he has even asked other peers of his who also were not able to do it. The contractor advised Opendoor directly that he was not able to make such repairs. Now beyond 30 days and approaching 60, Opendoor failed to keep their promise to make all necessary repairs as signed by them. Our Real estate Agent advised us it is commonly known that open doors policy is to buy homes for a quick turnaround. They do not exercise any formal inspection of the property. This means you could be buying a property from Open door with many problems that are not being disclosed directly from the seller. Strongly advise purchasers of a home to be careful of what they are getting themselves into with this group because they will not honor their word even when its their own signature. Now we will have unnecessary legal fees and other expenses all because they simply do what they committed to.
Sorry to hear that Rob, this is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and see that Opendoor is actively trying to make this right with your agent. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com if you have any further concerns. Thanks for your patience while we are discussing a solution!
So, my husband and I have recently begun relocation cross country to his hometown. When I got a very good job offer it put some urgency into selling our home. We only had it on the market about a month before we decided to go with Opendoor. I knew we would not make a big profit, but since I had good equity, we would be okay with the settlement. I had read all the reviews, done some research and even retained my agent for the process at my expense. The offer was very low, and the fees are very high, the cost of convenience I suppose. At this point the repairs came out to 4,300. A bit high, as if I am paying for improvements for them to flip it, but again, perfect victim due to urgency. This is where it gets bad, really bad, I am already losing tens of thousands versus a market sale, I am in my new hometown closing remotely. The mobile notary comes to my Airbnb on Wednesday, we sign, husband signs in Texas. Done. Nope, TWO hours after closing I am informed the math was wrong and it would be 6K less! After closing! People, I cannot stress enough the fact that this was AFTER closing! The first story was Opendoor commission, the second was taxes, nobody really knows. They just want an extra 6k and since I am even more pressured with pending home purchase, I believe they thought I would have no choice. Wrong, I went through the settlement sheet and every department that let the error slip was forced to rebate their fees, my agent reduced hers and they made up the difference. Did I mention I am in leadership?? The story is not over though, as I sit here on the east coast on Friday afternoon, still no funds. They can’t seem to put a trace on the wire that they documented as executed on Thursday and was not executed until this morning. But, still NO funds. I call the closer and she informs me that that they accidentally sent a live check via FedEx to the property address they now own, in Texas, and the wire transfer tracking number I was provided was for my agents funds not mine. Please note the finance company and title company are owned by Opendoor. To conclude, it is 5:15 EST on Friday and I just got funded on a transaction from Wednesday. My closer was genuinely upset and did resolve it, but had it not been for multiple calls to the office, my bank, my mortgage company and agent it could have been weeks. Only use Opendoor to get rid of a mortgage payment, nothing more. There are people that depend on the equity to buy a new home and with Opendoor you will not be sure even after closing.
Hi Jennie, This is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback to help us grow from this situation. I do see that this was resolved internally but if there's something further we can help with, please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into the matter.
I am currently trying to close on a home with Opendoor. They have been more then un-helpful. First Opendoor was asked to do re-insulate the floors in the crawl space. They reported them as completed but I went into that crawl space and it was not. Open-door was to do a Termite inspection and treatment. The wrong report turns up to my lender and my lender requested repairs for approval of the loan. The rep for Open door for almost two weeks kept addressing the repairs as and an item that didn't need to be addressed because the wrong report by the termite inspection was turned in. Finally, after two weeks of back and forth in emails, the Rep of Opendoor turn in another report stating that no repairs were needed. Please keep in mind I had to move into a hotel with my daughter because I was under the impression that open door had merely made a mistake was now going to fix the issue. My lender looked at the letter and asked open door to please provide a 3rd party contractor to check for structural damage. They asked this because for two weeks open door did nothing to clear up their mistake and give my lender confidence that there are no issues with the inspection. Open door said they will not pay for that and so I said I would be glad to do so. Open door agreed to that last Friday. ( I am now moving on to week three of my hotel stay and I am bleeding money, I have paid for an apartment but it is a hotel.) It is now Wednesday and open door is now telling me it may be until Friday before I will get a report back about this house! I could have hired someone directly and had that report in a day but open door is taking it by the week. Days go by with no timeline and no action being taken to help me close on this house. I have the impression that they do not want to close on this house. I have held up my end of this contract but open door is not. I hope not to have to take legal action. I have paid earnest money and met the agreement of the contract in a more than a reasonable time. I fail to see why it takes days, to get someone to complete an action such as a phone call and work order to complete the transaction of buying selling of this house. If actions are not completed soon I will be forced into another contract with an apartment and it will be close to another year before I will be able to consider moving into a house. We have an agreement and open door is doing everything but completing this. This is my first time buying a home but I am very aware that my time and money are being wasted. The money I am spending on this hotel could go into this house but the open door is waiting almost a week before doing anything about this issue.
The beginning of February our family purchased a home from Opendoor. It’s been about a week since we moved in. Buyer beware, bad lipstick on a pig. Here is a list. I have pics and some video. So so sad. 1) The AC and Heater is broke 2) both tubs were clogged and would not drain, hair and looked like paint down the drain from the painters 3) the spout diverters are broke so water halfway came out of shower heads and the shower heads sprayed water everywhere 4) the tubs are damaged with tiny chipped holes in the plastic. I had to get silicone to fill the holes in. 5) the fan in one of the bathroom makes a very loud high pitched sound 6) in one of the bathrooms the hot water on the sink doesn’t come out at all and my son said the shower hot water doesn’t work well 7) the water line that goes to the refrigerator was replaced and I could see the patchwork around was cracked so I got a moister meter to test the wall “yep”. Red light high moisture. I opened the wall (black mold and wet). So now I have to continue to tear the wall out til the wet and black mold ends then repair, my guess, the contractor saw this. “How could they not”. And just changed out the part and closed the hole. I have pictures of all of this. The black mold is also on the drywall that goes to my bedroom it’s on the opposite side. So dangerous. BLACK MOLD can make you VERY SICK and KILL YOU “Shame on you Opendoor”😡 if the water and black mold continues behind the cabinet I’ll have to pull the cabinets out. It does go into the food pantry so I’ll be tearing that out. 8) one of the fire alarms is painted over 9) all of the coaxial wall plates were painted over so I had to go buy all new ones 10) a lot of the electric face plates were painted over. 11) weeds in the front yard and back yard 12) the back yard was full of rusty nails trash just low end. I have pics. My dogs could have stepped on them. Tacky tacky tacky. 13) The dishwasher is new I think. But they installed it to where you can’t close the door for it to work. And damaged the counter top installing it. 14) the bathroom vanities are a concern and more so “what’s behind them. “ They replaced the shelf in one and my moister meter detects moister. I’ll have to pull those out and see what’s behind them. This week I will go into the attic. Who knows what I will find😬. This is all I found so far, in a week. And trying to move in and unpack at the same time. This is so sad. Opendoor markets themselves as a great company to do business with. Not my experience. They just lost a future customer and every one that ask my opinion I will advise them to stay clear don’t do business with them. This is basic “LACK OF INTEGRITY “ It’s basic manners not to sell a house in this condition. Whoever signed off on this house to be put on the market should be fired. Opendoor doesn’t even deserve 1 star. This review is from myself, my son and the rest of my family SHAME ON YOU Opendoor😡. I would like to post some pictures and videos. I don’t think this sight will let me. Maby I’ll see if yelp will or some other sights will let me post pictures and videos.
Thanks for letting us know about this Sherri. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
I wanted to like this company, and I did until I see that they are listing my house square footage as 1998. I quoted them 1998, but then their appraiser said it was 1917 so they docked my payout by $4000 to make up for the difference in square footage. When brought to their attention, they said they contact their agents to correct it to 1917. It's been two weeks and it's not been corrected. I should be reimbursed for the difference or they need to correct the mistake because now my old home is being sold to someone else with the wrong sq footage, which means it's either not fair to me or it's not fair to the new buyer. I waited before posting this so the company could make good, but as nothing has changed in two weeks, I wanted others to be aware.
KB, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
My husband and I viewed an Opendoor property, which we liked, and even after reading some bad reviews about the company we made an offer. It was countered in an almost bullying manner. That should have been the first warning sign for us, but we pushed on. After some intervention via e-mail from an Opendoor executive, our offer was finally accepted. The inspection of the property revealed some necessary repairs, as well as a pest infestation in the attic. Opendoor responded to our request for pest control in the attic with, " this is an upgrade, and they do not do upgrades"! We were astounded! They said their inspection did not reveal any problems so therefore they will not take care of it, as it does not affect the "liveability" of the house! Actually it does. Dead pest carcasses need to be removed as this will attract further pests and could spread diseases! Other repairs were also turned down. They are basically selling an "as is" property with no urge to send in contractors to get repairs done in time for closing. We are sorry that we wasted our time and money on trying to purchase a property from Opendoor.... Never again!!
Lorraine, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
The only reason there is one star is because there is no option for zero. Opendoor is the worst. This company basically paints the walls and sweep the floor and that is IT! I finally closed on my first home after going back and fourth with them on repairs. There is no one local from the company to actually monitors the "repairs" going on. There were empty bottles of vodka and beer cans left inside and out by the contractors, broken windows from dropped tools and sheetrock mud slung everywhere but when you are drunk on the job I see why these things happen. Every time a repair was completed I would follow up and check it out and every time it was not complete, halfway done or not even touched. I canceled my first contract do to lack of repairs and I should have kept on walking away. Now, I have been in the home for one month and am facing thousand of dollars worth of repairs and not just cosmetic repairs which I was expecting. I would never buy an Opendoor home again.
Kayla, We're sorry for any frustration caused and want to make it better. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this. Thanks for your patience!
Bought a house from open door purchased on December 14th moved in on December 27 on December 31 the sewer backed up sewer water all over the 2 bathrooms. There was roots from a tree out front we had to cut the tree down remove the stump and new sewer line. So the cost is over $11,000.00. We are not wealthy people yes you do have the buy back but lot of factors that won't work for us. We have spoken to people in your company there so sorry but nothing they can do. This was a VA loan and I guarantee that I will recommend anyone not to deal with Open Door.
Thanks for letting us know about this Paul. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can look into this matter!
Most of the selling process was pretty good. UNTIL we needed the bottom line for our closing. They deducted for a new fence, new sliding glass door and foundation repairs (which we had done a year ago). The house is now on the market for sale through OpenDoor and none of those repairs were done!! We were scammed for thousands of dollars, for sure!!!
Thomas, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
You cannot tell me this company doesn't have any negative reviews!!! I find that hard to believe. They sent a so called "great realtor." I think they meant a conman!! I own my home outright and should have the right to decide NOT to sell. This so called realtor (which he is not) took advantage of me and my situation. Now he has put a so called "cloud" on the deed to MY HOME OF 19 YEARS!!!!!!! Because of his greediness I am about to loose everything. I have had to hire an attorney!!! I feel Opendoor should be responsible for their so called " realtor" as they referred to, more like a GREEDY CONMAN!!!! DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY.......SELLER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!
Hi there,

We apologize for what sounds like a very frustrating situation. Our team would like to look into this immediately. Please email community@opendoor.com with the property address and as much information as possible. Thank you!
I'm giving a 2 star rating so far because I only started the selling process. I've read the reviews and I gotta say it doesn't make me feel like it's gonna go well. This company comes across as heartless and only about money and not customer service. I hope I'm wrong..
Jess, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
Open door completely bait and switched us. We reached out to them with practical reasons why our home offer was way under "fair market value" and they responded with an updated offer of $50,000 higher! We were thrilled, though it was still far under the market value, it would allow us to pay off our mortgage and move on quickly, which is what we really needed at this time. Well...we went out and put in an offer on a condo, that is now under contract...and just today, day 5 of our 6 day promised time allotment, they decided to retract their offer and go back to their original offer, taking the $50,000 off yet again. They are scammers and worse really, messing with people's lives in a terribly unjust way! They should be shut down!!
How do they have a 4.3 rating when every other review is a 1 star review lol??? If you are ok losing 20-30k selling your house to opendoor because it was more convenient then then you need to have a one on one with Dave Ramsey :)
Rachel, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
I am buyer and please please please do not engage with this company to sell your home...it is twice as hard to buy home with these people than a normal realtor....not only will you be losing money when sell your home the buyer has also a worse experience...so the only winner is Opendoor at the expense of us...
Hi, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to make it right. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
Buyer Beware. My wife and I recently purchased a home from open door in Queen Creek Arizona. Let’s just say the service has been anything but favorable. We had the home inspected and forward the punch list to open door. Remember earlier I stated we moved into Queen Creek Arizona. Our inspector discovered that the air conditioning system in the home was malfunctioning. We contacted open door to have them repair it, initially they refused. Open door Was provided with additional items that they agreed to repair prior to closing to which they knowingly and willingly failed to do so. Specifically the bathtub in the master bedroom needed the mixer valve replaced because cold and hot water was not mixing through the faucet. They agreed to fix it but failed to do so nor could they provide a receipt proving that they acted on their word and contract. We had a refrigerator delivered that had water and ice dispenser in the door. When it was hooked up there was no water coming from the waterline. We looked under the kitchen sink and discovered that a plumber had been under there and buried the waterline when he was attempting to repair a backed up sink. Upon moving into the home, we discovered the dishwasher, sink and garbage disposal backed up into the sink after running for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. Open door failed to report that there was clearly a plumbing issue in the home and hid the fact that they attempted to repair it and failed. When a company Refuses to knowingly and willingly fix and air conditioning system in the middle of the desert, you know they are unscrupulous. Emails and phone calls have gone on unanswered. There will be absolutely no more attempts to ask them to do the right thing. Next stop legal action and various complaints filed with local and state agencies .
Hi Rob,

Please send an email to community@opendoor.com with the property address. We will have our team take a look. We apologize for what sounds like a very frustrating situation.
Opendoor is rated 4.08 based on 673 reviews