Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

community@opendoor.com

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Opendoor 5 star review on 23rd October 2021
Opendoor 5 star review on 3rd September 2021
Russell
Opendoor 5 star review on 3rd September 2021
Russell
I sold my condo to Opendoor. The closing date was 06/01/2021. After signing the closing document on 05/28/2021, we expected to receive $280522.42 that is the DUE-TO-SELLER amount shown on the closing statement. They called me on 06/02/2021 and told me that they made a mistake on one of their documents and asked me to sign an addendum. This addendum states to void $5000 credit to the sellers. They assured me that it was just for documentation purposes and nothing would change. I thought it was weird at first, but they told me that signing the addendum wont change anything. I trusted Opendoor. So I signed the document. They sent me $276721.09 on 06/03/2021. I was puzzled why there was $3801.33 short. They told me the reason was I signed the addendum. I was shocked! Even though it is not a lot of money, how can Opendoor just lie to their customers who are willing to try a new way to sell their property to them? I dont know how much $3801.33 means to this publicly traded corporation, but it means a lot to me. It means a lot to me, not only because I lost $3801.33, but also because I took their words for it and the Opendoor failed my trust. If anyone plans to sell your property to Opendoor, please be aware of how they practice their business. I am not going to disclose their employees' names here. If anyone wants to verify my comments, I will provide more details.
They lie and cover stuff up and suck
Amanda, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Open door is not a good company
Reading through these reviews I have to wonder if these are legit reviews! This is the absolute worst company we have ever dealt. Trying to buy a house through these people for last 3 weeks. Our closing is today by open door contract we signed. We are living in a hotel because these people can’t get their acts together. They accepted our offer with stipulation we closed in 21 days. So we are literally jumped through hoops to finish the sell of our house in Colorado for these people. So they have essentially left us homeless now, with no home! Veterans beware do not use this company! Will never use or recommend this company. Our Florida realtor has literally contacted the CEO of Open Door to rectify this issue. Still no communication
Buyers, don’t waste your time. They won’t do a home warranty or termite bond. They said the repairs on our inspection were not repairs but “conditions” and offered pennies. It was a complete waste of our time. I will never, ever put an offer on an Opendoor home again. They should be transparent about selling as is.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
In may I had a offer from these people and they said needed 600 in repairs. I turned they offer down because fees and home didn't need no repairs. This week they made another offer and came back with 1400 in repairs. When I told them home didn't need repairs they came back and ask for receipts for the repairs. When I asked the to see what repairs they r claiming then today they come back with a lower offer and with no fees on nothing. I called them out on this and still asked for the list of repairs they claiming. .this is call bait and switch
We saw one of the most unclean houses for sale by Opendoor on Kit Carson Trl in Anthem, AZ last week; including one toilet having diarrhea splattered. But my wife wanted the house as market is tight. We offered $18K above selling price. Inspection showed many problems including a leaky 20-yr roof and a dismantled irrigation system. Inspector recommended roof be replaced. Opendoor said no and tried to offer $5K back (of the extra $15K we offered). I told my wife that with $5K we could buy many buckets to catch the rain. In the future, if a realty company can not pay a few dollars to clean the house, they are not going to replace a roof. It is a seller's market and they will find some victim that is more desperate than us. Unfortunately, the lowest star rating you can give is one. I am going to attempt to place 2 photos of the toilet.
Thanks for letting us know about this Del. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
My wife and I couldn't be happier with the way this sale went. It was sooooo easy! There was literally no stress for us. We didn't have to worry about showings, repairs or any of the traditional hassle of a home sale. We were skeptical until the end but when we got the proceeds the day we closed i knew we were going to give a glowing review! Thank you so much Opendoor! I'm telling everyone that will listen.
(Phoenix) - Posted 8 months ago
We love great customer stories like yours. Thanks for sharing Rob!
Beware if buying a home from Opendoor to make sure you get everything in writing. Especially if they are offering incentives or discounts. It was a choir to say the least to get the purchase completed to my satisfaction.
The final offer from Opendoor was about $73,000 lower than their preliminary offer. They ended up offering less than what I paid for the house several years ago, and I have put in over $20,000 in remodeling since buying the property. Their only explanation for the massive change in sales price was that the comps they used for the preliminary offer were not very good comps so they re-ran the comps and came up with a "more accurate" assessment of the home value. Their final offer price was about $78,000 lower that the Zillow Zestimate for my home and about $85,000 lower than what local real estate agents suggested my home was worth. They were definitely a waste of time for me.
Bought a house where they were the seller... completely unfriendly and impersonal experience and they were not negotiating in good faith. Getting a repair credit was like pulling teeth. Then, when the house didn't appraise they TOOK AWAY the repair credit and came back with a smaller price concession. When we countered they came back with a HIGHER before. price than before. Opendoor doesn't care about doing business with integrity, they only care about flipping homes for maximum profit, not taking care of the property or any damage inside it. I will NEVER do business or recommend them to anyone ever.
On 2/12/2020 Open Door offered us $344,700. Their Customer support Representative, Lori Fitzgerald, called to review the contract. We verbally accepted and Lori informed us that we had until 2/16/2020 to sign the contract and send it back to them. Today, 2/14/2020, we had a window of time to sit down and complete the contract. When we opened the attachment, the offer had changed. Now 2 days later, without so much as inspecting the house, Open Door has dropped the offer to $319,000, using comparables from a neighborhood that no realtor who knows our area would use as comparables for the neighborhood where our home is located. Getting involved with a company that is not honest on the front end is a bad idea. I expect to be jerked around every step of the way when dealing with this kind of dishonesty. Thank you Open Door for highlighting the fact that local realtors earn every dime and save most homeowners money in the long run. I will be listing with a responsible, knowledgeable, trustworthy Northlake realtor who knows the value of our neighborhood.
Jennifer, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
The offer came quickly, and what little contact I've had with representatives of Opendoor has been polite and professional. No complaint with that. I got a (very) low-ball offer, and one Opendoor told me they couldn't increase. Their business model is not at all what I thought. I thought it was "we'll buy your house for cash, no muss, no fuss," but it's "we'll buy your house for cash, charge you for everything we fix or update, then charge you real estate fees as well" - not sure how this is appreciably different from a normal real estate transaction, other than there is no competition. The comps Opendoor provided for my house on 1/16/2020 were all from 2018, with the most recent being in September 2018. Denver has a very competitive real estate market, very low inventory, and I'm selling in a very desirable neighbourhood. In early 2018, my house appraised for $50k more than Opendoor offered me (keeping in mind their offer price will only go down for repairs or upgrades they make), and has only increased in value since. Opendoor can work their business model any way they want. If they make money that way, power to them. But I think people should be aware, and should be very thorough in their research before accepting any Opendoor offer. Don't accept comps that are a year-and-a-half old, for instance.
Marin, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
I contacted opendoor to get an offer on my townhome. They looked at several comps, including a townhome just a couple of doors down that had the same layout as mine.. They gave me a valuation that was 20k less than my neighbor sold for. On top of this, they took out 10% for seller fees, So the amount that I would net would be so far below the market value that it was just laughable (~50k). I'm glad that I didn't go any further with them.
Paul, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like to please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
You cannot tell me this company doesn't have any negative reviews!!! I find that hard to believe. They sent a so called "great realtor." I think they meant a conman!! I own my home outright and should have the right to decide NOT to sell. This so called realtor (which he is not) took advantage of me and my situation. Now he has put a so called "cloud" on the deed to MY HOME OF 19 YEARS!!!!!!! Because of his greediness I am about to loose everything. I have had to hire an attorney!!! I feel Opendoor should be responsible for their so called " realtor" as they referred to, more like a GREEDY CONMAN!!!! DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY.......SELLER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!
Hi there, We apologize for what sounds like a very frustrating situation. Our team would like to look into this immediately. Please email community@opendoor.com with the property address and as much information as possible. Thank you!
Open door completely bait and switched us. We reached out to them with practical reasons why our home offer was way under "fair market value" and they responded with an updated offer of $50,000 higher! We were thrilled, though it was still far under the market value, it would allow us to pay off our mortgage and move on quickly, which is what we really needed at this time. Well...we went out and put in an offer on a condo, that is now under contract...and just today, day 5 of our 6 day promised time allotment, they decided to retract their offer and go back to their original offer, taking the $50,000 off yet again. They are scammers and worse really, messing with people's lives in a terribly unjust way! They should be shut down!!
How do they have a 4.3 rating when every other review is a 1 star review lol??? If you are ok losing 20-30k selling your house to opendoor because it was more convenient then then you need to have a one on one with Dave Ramsey :)
Rachel, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
I have had the same experience as most of you... I am also looking to purchase and found a house opendoor is selling. The house has been under contract 3x and back on the market. Every time I go to offer they start off with no offers at first then all of a sudden it’s multiple offers. Ha! To opendoor keep your dam houses. I will keep looking and if I see that you are selling a house, I will look the other way! I will not partake in your shenanigans!
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor Kita, and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
Our friends have helped us investigate Opendoor's procedures as an added protection for ourselves as buyers due to many of their bad reviews. In doing so, we made inquiries on several properties to see how the negotiating process works. Obviously, Opendoor favors buyers that buy through Opendoor processes rather than with a private real estate agent who will actually advise them. In this way, they are able to take advantage of buyers who may be unfamiliar with buying real estate. We are working with Opendoor right now to buy a house that has been on the market for 90+ days. We have offered fair offers for the property and have asked for a 60 day close period per their stated declaration on their website, "With Opendoor, you choose your closing date so it can take anywhere from 10-60 days–the timeline is up to you". The agent refuses to go past 30 days and countered a price 1k lower than their published asking price. The next day, the agent says the seller has multiple offers and the seller is calling for everyone's highest and best offer by today at 3pm. This is a common trend for any offer they seem close to accepting based on other reviews and is meant to drive up the price. Furthermore, this is a property owned by Opendoor but the agent refers to Opendoor as "the seller". We all know that Opendoor is calling all the shots here. We find that Opendoor engages in non-tranparent, unethical business practices to maximize their profits. Quality control and customer service are lost in the way that they've set up their virtual presence, and obvious improvements could be made if they valued their employees and their customers. It is difficult to find reviews regarding the buyer's perspective, but I have searched Yelp, the BBB, Glassdoor, Indeed, and this page which is monitored by them. The consensus for buyer reviews is 1 star but Opendoor masks that with the higher reviews made by people who had a good experience selling to Opendoor (especially when they were in a bind). If any one is thinking about buying from Opendoor, we would encourage you to investigate their business practices and reviews for yourself and come prepared for the negotiation process.
Hi Vickie, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to make it right. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
Beware of doing any form of business with opendoor. We purchased a property in Queen Creek Arizona, it was nothing but problems from the beginning. Upon home inspection it was found that our air conditioning unit was not working properly and needed small repairs. We submitted the report to open door where they refused to make the repairs to the air conditioning unit. Imagine buying a home in the hot desert and having the seller not agree to fix air-conditioning. Eventually after going back and forth, they agreed to fix it. Additionally, The property had three natural gas leaks.. These were detected by Mesa Gas where they actually had to shut the gas line down. We had to have our hot water tank completely replaced after only three days of moving into the property. We also signed an agreement that open door would repair to wooden banister going to the second floor within 30 days of the closure of the sale. Upon sending their own hired a contractor to our home, he stated that he could not make the repair because the banisters were custom made. He also stated that he has even asked other peers of his who also were not able to do it. The contractor advised Opendoor directly that he was not able to make such repairs. Now beyond 30 days and approaching 60, Opendoor failed to keep their promise to make all necessary repairs as signed by them. Our Real estate Agent advised us it is commonly known that open doors policy is to buy homes for a quick turnaround. They do not exercise any formal inspection of the property. This means you could be buying a property from Open door with many problems that are not being disclosed directly from the seller. Strongly advise purchasers of a home to be careful of what they are getting themselves into with this group because they will not honor their word even when its their own signature. Now we will have unnecessary legal fees and other expenses all because they simply do what they committed to.
Sorry to hear that Rob, this is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and see that Opendoor is actively trying to make this right with your agent. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com if you have any further concerns. Thanks for your patience while we are discussing a solution!
Opendoor is rated 4.37 based on 1,989 reviews