Opendoor Reviews

84% of reviewers recommend Opendoor

About Opendoor: In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Click Here

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy

Under an hour
"Buyers Beware! Open door guts the properties of fridge and all window coverings, which isn’t a problem until you bring In your new fridge and find out that the water to the ice dispenser doesn’t work...and you couldn’t test it because you didn’t have a spare fridge along for your inspection. I closed late on a Friday and called them on Monday and they said “too bad” you should have pointed it out during your inspection. I also had the false cabinet front under the kitchen sink fall off- it looked crooked and when I touched it, it came off in my hand along with a bunch of wood glue. It had been repaired with some ill fitting plastic brackets and wood glue. Open door puts lipstick all over the pug, and unless your inspector goes over that house with colonoscopy scope, you are going to be paying for plumbers and carpenters!! They refused to fix several issues that we did point out in the inspection and because I was in a hurry, I didn’t make them...now I wish I’d never heard of them!"
"So, my husband and I have recently begun relocation cross country to his hometown. When I got a very good job offer it put some urgency into selling our home. We only had it on the market about a month before we decided to go with Opendoor. I knew we would not make a big profit, but since I had good equity, we would be okay with the settlement. I had read all the reviews, done some research and even retained my agent for the process at my expense. The offer was very low, and the fees are very high, the cost of convenience I suppose. At this point the repairs came out to 4,300. A bit high, as if I am paying for improvements for them to flip it, but again, perfect victim due to urgency. This is where it gets bad, really bad, I am already losing tens of thousands versus a market sale, I am in my new hometown closing remotely. The mobile notary comes to my Airbnb on Wednesday, we sign, husband signs in Texas. Done. Nope, TWO hours after closing I am informed the math was wrong and it would be 6K less! After closing! People, I cannot stress enough the fact that this was AFTER closing! The first story was Opendoor commission, the second was taxes, nobody really knows. They just want an extra 6k and since I am even more pressured with pending home purchase, I believe they thought I would have no choice. Wrong, I went through the settlement sheet and every department that let the error slip was forced to rebate their fees, my agent reduced hers and they made up the difference. Did I mention I am in leadership?? The story is not over though, as I sit here on the east coast on Friday afternoon, still no funds. They can’t seem to put a trace on the wire that they documented as executed on Thursday and was not executed until this morning. But, still NO funds. I call the closer and she informs me that that they accidentally sent a live check via FedEx to the property address they now own, in Texas, and the wire transfer tracking number I was provided was for my agents funds not mine. Please note the finance company and title company are owned by Opendoor. To conclude, it is 5:15 EST on Friday and I just got funded on a transaction from Wednesday. My closer was genuinely upset and did resolve it, but had it not been for multiple calls to the office, my bank, my mortgage company and agent it could have been weeks. Only use Opendoor to get rid of a mortgage payment, nothing more. There are people that depend on the equity to buy a new home and with Opendoor you will not be sure even after closing."
Hi Jennie, This is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback to help us grow from this situation. I do see that this was resolved internally but if there's something further we can help with, please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into the matter.
"This business is not military friendly for one. The 8 to 9 percent commission takes about $20,000 or more out of your sale up front. It's way to high for what they say "assume the risk." Then the offer is below market value. So you lose $20,000 with the enormous high 8 to 9% commission then you lose another $10,000 to $15,000 on the offer of for your house its a true rip off. Good business model for making a profit. I would stay away from this place unless you are just desperate. Military member stay away not military friendly at all. I would give this business a negative review but the person that came out to look at the house was super nice. Also I would say watch the person looking at your roof and AC system. If not you'll end up paying for something. Not a good choice spend the time to show your house keeping additional $10,000 to $15,000 is worth doing that. You've been warned!!!"
Hi there,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Our team actually has a lot of experience working with military families, we have found that the flexibility and certainty that the Opendoor process provides is a huge benefit.

We do understand and respect your feedback and welcome any additional insights you would like to share via email to community@opendoor.com.
"Don’t sell your home to Opendoor. Their vendor damaged our home and they said they would reimburse us for damages and now they are sitting on the settlement agreement and won’t return calls and emails. This is a Shady company"
Hi Sherri,

Please know that our team has been prioritizing your situation and we do apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Feel free to share any additional feedback by emailing community@opendoor.com.
"Offer me less than I paid 15 years ago. After a 12% fee I would lose 50K using this service. They are looking for idiots so they can rob them. BEWARE! Had several realtors that said it was worth 100K more than I paid so they were trying to make 150K. WOW"
We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Please feel free to share any additional feedback with us at community@opendoor.com.
"Sold my house by Realtor got a lot more for the house then what open door wanted to give me.Would not use them"
Rob, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
"We were distressed to get an extremely low bid on our home but decided we could live with if if it netted us enough for a deposit on another house. Then we were slapped with a huge bill for repairs that would allow us to receive only $1,000.00 for the equity in our home. We withdrew from the contract. We had a realtor come in and assess the property. Right away $16,000.00 of the repairs were thrown out as bogus and the appraisal was over $40,000.00 more. We had tried to talk to the appraisers during the process, but they were not open. I sent E-mails listing amenities that were not considered, such as one extra bedroom and an extra bathroom. Looking at the bid they gave us for our property we determined it went by what was on Zillow 6 years ago and not the current condition of the home. All in all it was a frustrating experience and an insult to my intelligence."
Hi Linda,

We apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Please know that your feedback has been circulated internally.

We rely on insights like yours help our team continue to optimize the experience for both sellers and buyers. If you have any additional insights you would like to share feel free to email community@opendoor.com.
"Opendoor solicited us by mail- we were not planning on selling our home- but we decided to follow up and get an offer. The offer seemed fair, and the reviews made the company sound like one that made moving a less intimidating prospect, so we decided to accept the offer. We signed all of the paperwork, completed all the forms from the lawyers, and had the assessment done on our home. We had budgeted quite a bit for repairs because we knew of a few minor issues and some cosmetic changes they might ask for (like new carpets). With the amount we had budgeted, we didn't think anything could go wrong. I was very shocked when I received a call letting me know that they had overbid on our house by $71 K! They pulled out of the contract- not based on repairs- but based on their mistake when offering. Unfortunately for us, it took them ten days to realize their mistake, and we had already begun steps to purchase a new home. Just beware- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
"I am buyer and please please please do not engage with this company to sell your home...it is twice as hard to buy home with these people than a normal realtor....not only will you be losing money when sell your home the buyer has also a worse experience...so the only winner is Opendoor at the expense of us..."
Hi, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to make it right. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
"Beware of doing any form of business with opendoor. We purchased a property in Queen Creek Arizona, it was nothing but problems from the beginning. Upon home inspection it was found that our air conditioning unit was not working properly and needed small repairs. We submitted the report to open door where they refused to make the repairs to the air conditioning unit. Imagine buying a home in the hot desert and having the seller not agree to fix air-conditioning. Eventually after going back and forth, they agreed to fix it. Additionally, The property had three natural gas leaks.. These were detected by Mesa Gas where they actually had to shut the gas line down. We had to have our hot water tank completely replaced after only three days of moving into the property. We also signed an agreement that open door would repair to wooden banister going to the second floor within 30 days of the closure of the sale. Upon sending their own hired a contractor to our home, he stated that he could not make the repair because the banisters were custom made. He also stated that he has even asked other peers of his who also were not able to do it. The contractor advised Opendoor directly that he was not able to make such repairs. Now beyond 30 days and approaching 60, Opendoor failed to keep their promise to make all necessary repairs as signed by them. Our Real estate Agent advised us it is commonly known that open doors policy is to buy homes for a quick turnaround. They do not exercise any formal inspection of the property. This means you could be buying a property from Open door with many problems that are not being disclosed directly from the seller. Strongly advise purchasers of a home to be careful of what they are getting themselves into with this group because they will not honor their word even when its their own signature. Now we will have unnecessary legal fees and other expenses all because they simply do what they committed to."
Sorry to hear that Rob, this is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and see that Opendoor is actively trying to make this right with your agent. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com if you have any further concerns. Thanks for your patience while we are discussing a solution!
"After filling out the online questionnaire, the amount we were offered was exactly what we felt, due to comparable homes in our area, was reasonable. That changed with the inspection. They took off over $26,000 due to 'our needing a new roof', in addition to many other 'questionable' items. We knew our roof was in great condition, so we asked to have the roofer walk the roof with us to show us what he felt was wrong. He refused. We decided to put our home on the market with a realtor, had an inspection done, the roof, in addition to the other 'items' that Opendoor had said were needed, were all in perfect condition. Our home sold the first day, for the asking price, and we payed less commission using a realtor. Please, do NOT use open door. We have spoken with other people since our bad experience, and haven't heard anything positive."
We apologize for the less than satisfactory experience with us. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
"Extremely low offer that was well below market, and then they wanted to take an additional $19,000 off that for a "processing concession." Net of it all was a final offer than was nearly $10,000 below what we paid for the house three years ago in an area with property values that are growing well above the national average. I get that they need to make their money somehow but it's like these guys took a lesson from Pawn Stars on how to make insultingly low offers. Would not consider using them again."
Tim, I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
"Offer was well below market value. Opendoor takes 10% of price right off the bat. I suspect that these positive reviews are not real."
Scott, We value your feedback and take it seriously. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
"My wife and I just purchased our second home in Atlanta after relocation from Wisconsin. It was our first time using Open Door. We actually found our home while going on a run in a new area. We fell in love with the area and saw a home with an "Open for showing" sign in the front yard. We downloaded the app, went in, and then we made a fun adventure out of it and started running to all the other Open Door homes in the area. Luckily, we fell in love with the last home we saw and put in an offer. Fast forward a few months and we could not be happier. Open Door was an excellent company to do business with, and they went above and beyond to fix the repairs we outlined during our inspection. They got everything done in time and were able to hit our closing date. Based on our previous buying experience, I'd say Open Door actually did more for us to get the home ready for move-in than traditional sellers have in the past. When we pulled up in the driveway after closing we found someone at our home hired by Open Door cleaning it for us in anticipation of our move-in. Nice touch."
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We're so glad we could help you and your wife find your new home. Wishing you all the best in this next chapter!
"Every repair they identified was exaggerated and overpriced. The repairs we made on our own were typically 1/3 of what they said it would cost. We were asked to hold money in escrow in case of damage during a pier repair. They would not respond to emails or requests for the money, then miraculously produced an invoice in exactly the amount held in escrow. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!"
Hi there,

We appreciate you taking some time to share your experience. We would like to learn more about your situation, can you email community@opendoor.com, with more information and the property address?
How did you work with Opendoor? I sold my home to Opendoor
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Tampa
Your Name: Jim Herr
"OPENDOOR IS AMAZING! My 91-year-old mother finally decided to move to California from Florida to be closer to us. Hooray!! When it came time to sell her house I knew it was going to be difficult to try and manage things from across the country. We knew that we didn't want a series of open houses, or having random people disturb her wanting to look at the place and making ridiculous offers or worse yet just "casing the joint," nor did we want to deal buyers who fall out of escrow at the last minute. There were some issues that necessitated her trying to make the move as quickly as possible. When parents sold their home a few years ago before my father passed it took well over a year and even though the sale was listed "as is" they still spent so much time and effort negotiating things that weren't necessary. This lead us to Opendoor. I did my research and they seemed to be reputable and on the up-and-up. I read some really negative reviews but the theme seemed to be people who had a really inflated idea of how much their home was worth or that it wasn't in as good condition as they thought or that they didn't have a lot of equity in the home. So for us, Opendoor seemed like a good alternative. We contacted Opendoor in late December and spoke to one of their reps who walked us through the whole process. One of the things he kept saying was that we could cancel the deal at any time, right up to the end. That gave me a bit of security knowing that if something were to happen we could back out. We filled out the rest of the online paper work (I should mention that we did all this while Mom was visiting California for the holidays) and a few days later got our offer. I was really hesitant to open it but was pleasantly surprised. It was in line with what I had expected. I know my mom wanted more but I don't think she was being realistic. It actuality it was probably a bit on the low side. Had we used a traditional real estate agent they probably would have listed it higher expecting to come down on the price. Plus if we ended up waiting a year or more the market (which isn't really that stable right now) could have tanked and we would have ended up losing money on the house--this happened to my parents twice in the past. With the fee that we paid to Opendoor, my mom made a small amount of money on the property and basically lived in that house for three years rent free. We accepted the offer and could have closed within a couple of weeks but wanted to give her a little more time to get things packed. We ended up changed the closing date a couple of times and it was no big deal. Even the final walk through we had to reschedule at the last minute and it was fine. The one potential hold-up was the inspection. I thought for sure they'd come in with a check list and start making all kinds of deductions for even the littlest things. Now my mom's house is in really good shape. It was a flipped property when she bought it and she was the only one living there for the three years. So there wasn't really anything for them to find and anything minor they just over looked. So we passed the inspection with no deductions at all. From the time that we first talked to Opendoor to the time we were on a plane headed to California (with the money in the bank) was two months. The whole time I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop; for something bad to happen. And nothing bad ever did. I still can't believe how incredibly easy it was. The other thing that I think is important to mention is the amazing customer service. EVERY SINGLE PERSON we dealt with that was on our team--from initial intake, to the title and escrow services to the team that did the home inspection and the notary who came out to have her sign the papers--were friendly, professional, well-informed, and courteous. They were all so understanding of our situation and made sure we understood every step in the process and were there every step of the way. When I sold my house a few years ago, I loved my real estate agent, but I did feel that once we had a buyer that she disappeared. And that's when I really, really needed her to help me understand all of the paperwork and procedures, etc. That level and quality of service is not something you find all the time and certainly not what you'd expect from an "online service." Opendoor was definitely the right choice for our family. If you have any concerns, talk to them. From what I understand, they don't take on every house that comes their way. And there's no obligation even up until the end. So talk to them and see what they can do for you. If you're like us, I think you'll find there a great choice. So as I write this my mom is sitting in our living room, our two dogs snuggled around her looking forward to the next chapter in her life. And she's happy. And so are we. Thank you Opendoor for making this all possible."
(Tampa) - Posted 7 months ago
Thank you so much for taking some time to share your experience! Please know that we have shared your kind words with our team.

We are so happy that your family was able to benefit from the flexibility the Opendoor process provides.

Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction. We wish you and your mother all the best in this new chapter.
"They’re going to blind you with the wow factor on your initial offer. What happens is instead of low-balling you up front, they give you the wow number. Then you accept the offer and go under contract. That’s when they decide to take back $15k from that offer because they “over-valued” the home on top of the list of requested “improvements”. Getting a revised offer while under contract...hmmm. Now we’ve got to back out of our contract with the builder of our new home because what was supposed to be our new home requires us to be under contract on the selling home in order to proceed. I’m out my earnest money and whatever penalties I’ll face from the builder."
Hi there,

We do apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience here. We would like to learn more about your experience, can you email community@opendoor.com?
"Opendoor did not offer to buy our home. They didn't even go see it in person. Disappointed."
Hi there,

Can you email community@opendoor.com with the address of your home so we can take a look at what happened? We apologize for any delay in our communication.
How did you work with Opendoor? I bought my home with Opendoor
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Dallas
"Worst possibly customer service took 6 days to hear back from anyone after submitting a offer then got emails and calls from random people to never talk to again that knew nothing about the transaction or the next steps then they are very one sided and impossible to work with and overlook every request you make only willing to make several small repairs when the inspector found many issues with the house that are all major issues"
() - Posted 7 months ago
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Dallas/Fort Worth
Your Name: Melissa Aronson/Karen Harbison(Petty)
"This was my 2nd home to sell to opendoor my first experience was amazing hints why I went back. But this sell was absolutely awful the customer service was horrible my first price started out at $212,450 I walked away with $189,000. There was not a detailed list of where the money went this time it was like if you do not like the offer walk I have other people waiting to close. Then at the last minute they sent me something stating they were going to charge me $350 for the trash that I sat in the curb for the city to pick up. They stated if I did not pay the amount they were not going to close. I pay the the city of Fort Worth Monthly for bulk trash pick up an I did not leave trash on the property it was left on the city property for them to pick up. I was told I would be refunded the $350 if the city picked the trash up but I have yet to see it. I am just glad to be done with Opendoor and I will never do business with them again nor will I refer another person as I did in the past. I spoke so highly of them just to be burnt."
(Dallas) - Posted 8 months ago