Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Under an hour
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Beware of doing any form of business with opendoor. We purchased a property in Queen Creek Arizona, it was nothing but problems from the beginning. Upon home inspection it was found that our air conditioning unit was not working properly and needed small repairs. We submitted the report to open door where they refused to make the repairs to the air conditioning unit. Imagine buying a home in the hot desert and having the seller not agree to fix air-conditioning. Eventually after going back and forth, they agreed to fix it. Additionally, The property had three natural gas leaks.. These were detected by Mesa Gas where they actually had to shut the gas line down. We had to have our hot water tank completely replaced after only three days of moving into the property. We also signed an agreement that open door would repair to wooden banister going to the second floor within 30 days of the closure of the sale. Upon sending their own hired a contractor to our home, he stated that he could not make the repair because the banisters were custom made. He also stated that he has even asked other peers of his who also were not able to do it. The contractor advised Opendoor directly that he was not able to make such repairs. Now beyond 30 days and approaching 60, Opendoor failed to keep their promise to make all necessary repairs as signed by them. Our Real estate Agent advised us it is commonly known that open doors policy is to buy homes for a quick turnaround. They do not exercise any formal inspection of the property. This means you could be buying a property from Open door with many problems that are not being disclosed directly from the seller. Strongly advise purchasers of a home to be careful of what they are getting themselves into with this group because they will not honor their word even when its their own signature. Now we will have unnecessary legal fees and other expenses all because they simply do what they committed to.
Sorry to hear that Rob, this is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and see that Opendoor is actively trying to make this right with your agent. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com if you have any further concerns. Thanks for your patience while we are discussing a solution!
So, my husband and I have recently begun relocation cross country to his hometown. When I got a very good job offer it put some urgency into selling our home. We only had it on the market about a month before we decided to go with Opendoor. I knew we would not make a big profit, but since I had good equity, we would be okay with the settlement. I had read all the reviews, done some research and even retained my agent for the process at my expense. The offer was very low, and the fees are very high, the cost of convenience I suppose. At this point the repairs came out to 4,300. A bit high, as if I am paying for improvements for them to flip it, but again, perfect victim due to urgency. This is where it gets bad, really bad, I am already losing tens of thousands versus a market sale, I am in my new hometown closing remotely. The mobile notary comes to my Airbnb on Wednesday, we sign, husband signs in Texas. Done. Nope, TWO hours after closing I am informed the math was wrong and it would be 6K less! After closing! People, I cannot stress enough the fact that this was AFTER closing! The first story was Opendoor commission, the second was taxes, nobody really knows. They just want an extra 6k and since I am even more pressured with pending home purchase, I believe they thought I would have no choice. Wrong, I went through the settlement sheet and every department that let the error slip was forced to rebate their fees, my agent reduced hers and they made up the difference. Did I mention I am in leadership?? The story is not over though, as I sit here on the east coast on Friday afternoon, still no funds. They can’t seem to put a trace on the wire that they documented as executed on Thursday and was not executed until this morning. But, still NO funds. I call the closer and she informs me that that they accidentally sent a live check via FedEx to the property address they now own, in Texas, and the wire transfer tracking number I was provided was for my agents funds not mine. Please note the finance company and title company are owned by Opendoor. To conclude, it is 5:15 EST on Friday and I just got funded on a transaction from Wednesday. My closer was genuinely upset and did resolve it, but had it not been for multiple calls to the office, my bank, my mortgage company and agent it could have been weeks. Only use Opendoor to get rid of a mortgage payment, nothing more. There are people that depend on the equity to buy a new home and with Opendoor you will not be sure even after closing.
Hi Jennie, This is not the Opendoor experience we strive for and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback to help us grow from this situation. I do see that this was resolved internally but if there's something further we can help with, please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into the matter.
Buyers Beware! Open door guts the properties of fridge and all window coverings, which isn’t a problem until you bring In your new fridge and find out that the water to the ice dispenser doesn’t work...and you couldn’t test it because you didn’t have a spare fridge along for your inspection. I closed late on a Friday and called them on Monday and they said “too bad” you should have pointed it out during your inspection. I also had the false cabinet front under the kitchen sink fall off- it looked crooked and when I touched it, it came off in my hand along with a bunch of wood glue. It had been repaired with some ill fitting plastic brackets and wood glue. Open door puts lipstick all over the pug, and unless your inspector goes over that house with colonoscopy scope, you are going to be paying for plumbers and carpenters!! They refused to fix several issues that we did point out in the inspection and because I was in a hurry, I didn’t make them...now I wish I’d never heard of them!
We thought that Open Door was going to be a life savor. We were at our ropes end with our mortgage company. Then came along Open Door. They gave us a competitive offer on our house. But when the repair estimate came in, it did sting a little. We took it, thinking that all the repairs we going to be done. I have read with others that Open Door said that they would do took money for repairs and never did them. This was definitely the case in our house as well. They took money for a new roof, this was not done. They took money for new appliances, old appliances were left in the home. They took money for small repairs to be done to the house that we not done at all. I wish I could go back and get that money back from them, this is very dishonest and fraudulent. In the end Open Door takes advantage of people looking to get out of a bad situation.
Kelly, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Although they cleaned and painted the interior they kept from us that the HOA here was requiring that homes be painted by the end of the year and didn't inform us of that cost just 6 months down the road. The HOA mailed out letters in advance of us purchasing the home but naturally Opendoor is denying it and won't even be decent enough to work with us "basically said it's not their problem". Never purchase a home from them unless you have everything in writing and check your HOA for any future costs coming up they may be hiding. I would have had more respect for the company if they would have worked with us instead of giving excuses and brushing us off.
We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
I have had the same experience as most of you... I am also looking to purchase and found a house opendoor is selling. The house has been under contract 3x and back on the market. Every time I go to offer they start off with no offers at first then all of a sudden it’s multiple offers. Ha! To opendoor keep your dam houses. I will keep looking and if I see that you are selling a house, I will look the other way! I will not partake in your shenanigans!
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor Kita, and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
Our friends have helped us investigate Opendoor's procedures as an added protection for ourselves as buyers due to many of their bad reviews. In doing so, we made inquiries on several properties to see how the negotiating process works. Obviously, Opendoor favors buyers that buy through Opendoor processes rather than with a private real estate agent who will actually advise them. In this way, they are able to take advantage of buyers who may be unfamiliar with buying real estate. We are working with Opendoor right now to buy a house that has been on the market for 90+ days. We have offered fair offers for the property and have asked for a 60 day close period per their stated declaration on their website, "With Opendoor, you choose your closing date so it can take anywhere from 10-60 days–the timeline is up to you". The agent refuses to go past 30 days and countered a price 1k lower than their published asking price. The next day, the agent says the seller has multiple offers and the seller is calling for everyone's highest and best offer by today at 3pm. This is a common trend for any offer they seem close to accepting based on other reviews and is meant to drive up the price. Furthermore, this is a property owned by Opendoor but the agent refers to Opendoor as "the seller". We all know that Opendoor is calling all the shots here. We find that Opendoor engages in non-tranparent, unethical business practices to maximize their profits. Quality control and customer service are lost in the way that they've set up their virtual presence, and obvious improvements could be made if they valued their employees and their customers. It is difficult to find reviews regarding the buyer's perspective, but I have searched Yelp, the BBB, Glassdoor, Indeed, and this page which is monitored by them. The consensus for buyer reviews is 1 star but Opendoor masks that with the higher reviews made by people who had a good experience selling to Opendoor (especially when they were in a bind). If any one is thinking about buying from Opendoor, we would encourage you to investigate their business practices and reviews for yourself and come prepared for the negotiation process.
Hi Vickie, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to make it right. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
I am buyer and please please please do not engage with this company to sell your home...it is twice as hard to buy home with these people than a normal realtor....not only will you be losing money when sell your home the buyer has also a worse experience...so the only winner is Opendoor at the expense of us...
Hi, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to make it right. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
This business is not military friendly for one. The 8 to 9 percent commission takes about $20,000 or more out of your sale up front. It's way to high for what they say "assume the risk." Then the offer is below market value. So you lose $20,000 with the enormous high 8 to 9% commission then you lose another $10,000 to $15,000 on the offer of for your house its a true rip off. Good business model for making a profit. I would stay away from this place unless you are just desperate. Military member stay away not military friendly at all. I would give this business a negative review but the person that came out to look at the house was super nice. Also I would say watch the person looking at your roof and AC system. If not you'll end up paying for something. Not a good choice spend the time to show your house keeping additional $10,000 to $15,000 is worth doing that. You've been warned!!!
Hi there,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Our team actually has a lot of experience working with military families, we have found that the flexibility and certainty that the Opendoor process provides is a huge benefit.

We do understand and respect your feedback and welcome any additional insights you would like to share via email to community@opendoor.com.
Don’t sell your home to Opendoor. Their vendor damaged our home and they said they would reimburse us for damages and now they are sitting on the settlement agreement and won’t return calls and emails. This is a Shady company
Hi Sherri,

Please know that our team has been prioritizing your situation and we do apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Feel free to share any additional feedback by emailing community@opendoor.com.
How did you work with Opendoor? I sold my home to Opendoor
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Tampa
Your Name: Jim Herr
OPENDOOR IS AMAZING! My 91-year-old mother finally decided to move to California from Florida to be closer to us. Hooray!! When it came time to sell her house I knew it was going to be difficult to try and manage things from across the country. We knew that we didn't want a series of open houses, or having random people disturb her wanting to look at the place and making ridiculous offers or worse yet just "casing the joint," nor did we want to deal buyers who fall out of escrow at the last minute. There were some issues that necessitated her trying to make the move as quickly as possible. When parents sold their home a few years ago before my father passed it took well over a year and even though the sale was listed "as is" they still spent so much time and effort negotiating things that weren't necessary. This lead us to Opendoor. I did my research and they seemed to be reputable and on the up-and-up. I read some really negative reviews but the theme seemed to be people who had a really inflated idea of how much their home was worth or that it wasn't in as good condition as they thought or that they didn't have a lot of equity in the home. So for us, Opendoor seemed like a good alternative. We contacted Opendoor in late December and spoke to one of their reps who walked us through the whole process. One of the things he kept saying was that we could cancel the deal at any time, right up to the end. That gave me a bit of security knowing that if something were to happen we could back out. We filled out the rest of the online paper work (I should mention that we did all this while Mom was visiting California for the holidays) and a few days later got our offer. I was really hesitant to open it but was pleasantly surprised. It was in line with what I had expected. I know my mom wanted more but I don't think she was being realistic. It actuality it was probably a bit on the low side. Had we used a traditional real estate agent they probably would have listed it higher expecting to come down on the price. Plus if we ended up waiting a year or more the market (which isn't really that stable right now) could have tanked and we would have ended up losing money on the house--this happened to my parents twice in the past. With the fee that we paid to Opendoor, my mom made a small amount of money on the property and basically lived in that house for three years rent free. We accepted the offer and could have closed within a couple of weeks but wanted to give her a little more time to get things packed. We ended up changed the closing date a couple of times and it was no big deal. Even the final walk through we had to reschedule at the last minute and it was fine. The one potential hold-up was the inspection. I thought for sure they'd come in with a check list and start making all kinds of deductions for even the littlest things. Now my mom's house is in really good shape. It was a flipped property when she bought it and she was the only one living there for the three years. So there wasn't really anything for them to find and anything minor they just over looked. So we passed the inspection with no deductions at all. From the time that we first talked to Opendoor to the time we were on a plane headed to California (with the money in the bank) was two months. The whole time I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop; for something bad to happen. And nothing bad ever did. I still can't believe how incredibly easy it was. The other thing that I think is important to mention is the amazing customer service. EVERY SINGLE PERSON we dealt with that was on our team--from initial intake, to the title and escrow services to the team that did the home inspection and the notary who came out to have her sign the papers--were friendly, professional, well-informed, and courteous. They were all so understanding of our situation and made sure we understood every step in the process and were there every step of the way. When I sold my house a few years ago, I loved my real estate agent, but I did feel that once we had a buyer that she disappeared. And that's when I really, really needed her to help me understand all of the paperwork and procedures, etc. That level and quality of service is not something you find all the time and certainly not what you'd expect from an "online service." Opendoor was definitely the right choice for our family. If you have any concerns, talk to them. From what I understand, they don't take on every house that comes their way. And there's no obligation even up until the end. So talk to them and see what they can do for you. If you're like us, I think you'll find there a great choice. So as I write this my mom is sitting in our living room, our two dogs snuggled around her looking forward to the next chapter in her life. And she's happy. And so are we. Thank you Opendoor for making this all possible.
(Tampa) - Posted 10 months ago
Thank you so much for taking some time to share your experience! Please know that we have shared your kind words with our team.

We are so happy that your family was able to benefit from the flexibility the Opendoor process provides.

Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction. We wish you and your mother all the best in this new chapter.
Offer me less than I paid 15 years ago. After a 12% fee I would lose 50K using this service. They are looking for idiots so they can rob them. BEWARE! Had several realtors that said it was worth 100K more than I paid so they were trying to make 150K. WOW
We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Please feel free to share any additional feedback with us at community@opendoor.com.
Sold my house by Realtor got a lot more for the house then what open door wanted to give me.Would not use them
Rob, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
We were distressed to get an extremely low bid on our home but decided we could live with if if it netted us enough for a deposit on another house. Then we were slapped with a huge bill for repairs that would allow us to receive only $1,000.00 for the equity in our home. We withdrew from the contract. We had a realtor come in and assess the property. Right away $16,000.00 of the repairs were thrown out as bogus and the appraisal was over $40,000.00 more. We had tried to talk to the appraisers during the process, but they were not open. I sent E-mails listing amenities that were not considered, such as one extra bedroom and an extra bathroom. Looking at the bid they gave us for our property we determined it went by what was on Zillow 6 years ago and not the current condition of the home. All in all it was a frustrating experience and an insult to my intelligence.
Hi Linda,

We apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Please know that your feedback has been circulated internally.

We rely on insights like yours help our team continue to optimize the experience for both sellers and buyers. If you have any additional insights you would like to share feel free to email community@opendoor.com.
Opendoor solicited us by mail- we were not planning on selling our home- but we decided to follow up and get an offer. The offer seemed fair, and the reviews made the company sound like one that made moving a less intimidating prospect, so we decided to accept the offer. We signed all of the paperwork, completed all the forms from the lawyers, and had the assessment done on our home. We had budgeted quite a bit for repairs because we knew of a few minor issues and some cosmetic changes they might ask for (like new carpets). With the amount we had budgeted, we didn't think anything could go wrong. I was very shocked when I received a call letting me know that they had overbid on our house by $71 K! They pulled out of the contract- not based on repairs- but based on their mistake when offering. Unfortunately for us, it took them ten days to realize their mistake, and we had already begun steps to purchase a new home. Just beware- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Buyers, don’t waste your time. They won’t do a home warranty or termite bond. They said the repairs on our inspection were not repairs but “conditions” and offered pennies. It was a complete waste of our time. I will never, ever put an offer on an Opendoor home again. They should be transparent about selling as is.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Don't sell your house with opendoor. They are such ripoffs. They took 9% out for fees and repairs. They come in and find the tiniest things wrong and take more money out and then when its listed they didn't even repair what they took out of money. If you want to give away your home sell it to opendoor. Theres a special place in hell for rip off companies like this.
I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
They offer rip-off price, and the agent was very rude. The worst is that they sold/distribute my contact info to other realtors. Stay away.
Robin, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Most of the selling process was pretty good. UNTIL we needed the bottom line for our closing. They deducted for a new fence, new sliding glass door and foundation repairs (which we had done a year ago). The house is now on the market for sale through OpenDoor and none of those repairs were done!! We were scammed for thousands of dollars, for sure!!!
Thomas, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
I bought a house that was "owned" by OpenDoor and wanted to write a review regarding my experience. After initially viewing the house we received a very misleading email saying they had a ton of interest and were closing offers in 24 hours. We put in an offer over asking price. After days of not hearing back and then receiving multiple counter offers we find that we were the only offer they had and that they won't go under contract until we were out of our option period with the sale of our current home. While this may be policy, it is a huge pain and any contingent buyers should be aware of this. The rest of the process was ok until it came to repairs. The garage door in the home flat out didn't function and they didn't want to repair it. We ended up having to take off a few other minor repair requests in order for them to do it. During our final walkthrough we tested the garage door and it was not functioning. We contacted the agent and she said that it was repaired (even though we had just tested it and found that to be incorrect). We gave them 24 hours to get the garage door functioning again and come time for closing it still was not repaired. Turns out the agent hadn't put in the repair request at all. We ended up agreeing to an amendment to the contract that the repair would be completed after closing- but they wouldn't give us a timeline. About 1.5 weeks after closing I contacted the agent to see when the repair would be scheduled and the agent said "it was repaired on ____ date." Which, was the date we signed the amendment, the garage door was not repaired. In the end, the garage door has been repaired but the fact that it hadn't been done before closing, and that they agent didn't even know the status was concerning to me. Still a month later, our lockbox is still on the door and we are waiting for someone to remove it. While they might be great for sellers, they are a pain in the butt if you are buying from them. Just wanted to give future buyers a heads up.
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor Kate, and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
Opendoor is rated 4.20 based on 615 reviews