Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Under an hour
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
They don’t fix repairs on a home they’re selling if there’s too much listed issues to address. They under estimate the repair cost by giving you back money that they know won’t cover it. On top of that, they over price the house. Opendoor needs to do an inspection before they buy out someone from their old home. Or, fix the problem so u can get paid.
Been trying to close with open door this is the worst experience ever.
I am trying to close with open door they are making the first time buying a home the worst experience ever. I would not recomend them to no one
Hi Wendy, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
I am currently trying to close on a home with Opendoor. They have been more then un-helpful. First Opendoor was asked to do re-insulate the floors in the crawl space. They reported them as completed but I went into that crawl space and it was not. Open-door was to do a Termite inspection and treatment. The wrong report turns up to my lender and my lender requested repairs for approval of the loan. The rep for Open door for almost two weeks kept addressing the repairs as and an item that didn't need to be addressed because the wrong report by the termite inspection was turned in. Finally, after two weeks of back and forth in emails, the Rep of Opendoor turn in another report stating that no repairs were needed. Please keep in mind I had to move into a hotel with my daughter because I was under the impression that open door had merely made a mistake was now going to fix the issue. My lender looked at the letter and asked open door to please provide a 3rd party contractor to check for structural damage. They asked this because for two weeks open door did nothing to clear up their mistake and give my lender confidence that there are no issues with the inspection. Open door said they will not pay for that and so I said I would be glad to do so. Open door agreed to that last Friday. ( I am now moving on to week three of my hotel stay and I am bleeding money, I have paid for an apartment but it is a hotel.) It is now Wednesday and open door is now telling me it may be until Friday before I will get a report back about this house! I could have hired someone directly and had that report in a day but open door is taking it by the week. Days go by with no timeline and no action being taken to help me close on this house. I have the impression that they do not want to close on this house. I have held up my end of this contract but open door is not. I hope not to have to take legal action. I have paid earnest money and met the agreement of the contract in a more than a reasonable time. I fail to see why it takes days, to get someone to complete an action such as a phone call and work order to complete the transaction of buying selling of this house. If actions are not completed soon I will be forced into another contract with an apartment and it will be close to another year before I will be able to consider moving into a house. We have an agreement and open door is doing everything but completing this. This is my first time buying a home but I am very aware that my time and money are being wasted. The money I am spending on this hotel could go into this house but the open door is waiting almost a week before doing anything about this issue.
On 2/12/2020 Open Door offered us $344,700. Their Customer support Representative, Lori Fitzgerald, called to review the contract. We verbally accepted and Lori informed us that we had until 2/16/2020 to sign the contract and send it back to them. Today, 2/14/2020, we had a window of time to sit down and complete the contract. When we opened the attachment, the offer had changed. Now 2 days later, without so much as inspecting the house, Open Door has dropped the offer to $319,000, using comparables from a neighborhood that no realtor who knows our area would use as comparables for the neighborhood where our home is located. Getting involved with a company that is not honest on the front end is a bad idea. I expect to be jerked around every step of the way when dealing with this kind of dishonesty. Thank you Open Door for highlighting the fact that local realtors earn every dime and save most homeowners money in the long run. I will be listing with a responsible, knowledgeable, trustworthy Northlake realtor who knows the value of our neighborhood.
Jennifer, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
Touring homes was not possible, you cannot truly instantly tour/unlock a home. They basically get your information and then their agents bombard you with properties and mortgage sales pitches.
The beginning of February our family purchased a home from Opendoor. It’s been about a week since we moved in. Buyer beware, bad lipstick on a pig. Here is a list. I have pics and some video. So so sad. 1) The AC and Heater is broke 2) both tubs were clogged and would not drain, hair and looked like paint down the drain from the painters 3) the spout diverters are broke so water halfway came out of shower heads and the shower heads sprayed water everywhere 4) the tubs are damaged with tiny chipped holes in the plastic. I had to get silicone to fill the holes in. 5) the fan in one of the bathroom makes a very loud high pitched sound 6) in one of the bathrooms the hot water on the sink doesn’t come out at all and my son said the shower hot water doesn’t work well 7) the water line that goes to the refrigerator was replaced and I could see the patchwork around was cracked so I got a moister meter to test the wall “yep”. Red light high moisture. I opened the wall (black mold and wet). So now I have to continue to tear the wall out til the wet and black mold ends then repair, my guess, the contractor saw this. “How could they not”. And just changed out the part and closed the hole. I have pictures of all of this. The black mold is also on the drywall that goes to my bedroom it’s on the opposite side. So dangerous. BLACK MOLD can make you VERY SICK and KILL YOU “Shame on you Opendoor”😡 if the water and black mold continues behind the cabinet I’ll have to pull the cabinets out. It does go into the food pantry so I’ll be tearing that out. 8) one of the fire alarms is painted over 9) all of the coaxial wall plates were painted over so I had to go buy all new ones 10) a lot of the electric face plates were painted over. 11) weeds in the front yard and back yard 12) the back yard was full of rusty nails trash just low end. I have pics. My dogs could have stepped on them. Tacky tacky tacky. 13) The dishwasher is new I think. But they installed it to where you can’t close the door for it to work. And damaged the counter top installing it. 14) the bathroom vanities are a concern and more so “what’s behind them. “ They replaced the shelf in one and my moister meter detects moister. I’ll have to pull those out and see what’s behind them. This week I will go into the attic. Who knows what I will find😬. This is all I found so far, in a week. And trying to move in and unpack at the same time. This is so sad. Opendoor markets themselves as a great company to do business with. Not my experience. They just lost a future customer and every one that ask my opinion I will advise them to stay clear don’t do business with them. This is basic “LACK OF INTEGRITY “ It’s basic manners not to sell a house in this condition. Whoever signed off on this house to be put on the market should be fired. Opendoor doesn’t even deserve 1 star. This review is from myself, my son and the rest of my family SHAME ON YOU Opendoor😡. I would like to post some pictures and videos. I don’t think this sight will let me. Maby I’ll see if yelp will or some other sights will let me post pictures and videos.
Thanks for letting us know about this Sherri. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
First off when I originally asked for the offer they said sorry you are in a flood zone. No, no I am not anywhere near a flood zone. Oh sorry. So my builder contacted them and OpenDoor gave a fair offer for my house. They went through all the processes. All was well until they call me after 2 months and say that the higher ups in the company have said that they did not feel they could honor the offer they have given me because there were not enough comps in my neighborhood. I have only 12 houses in my neighborhood and no one has put the house on the market in 2 years! Nothing happened and nothing changed. I feel that this is an awful way to do business. They should have honored the original offer. A good honest company would honor or at least negotiate. I now instead have to list and deal with trying to show my house with my Dad with dementia and a dog in the house. I will sell the house and make out better but it is just a lot more work I was willing to sacrifice for a little less money
Brandi, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
I contacted opendoor to have them make an offer on my home. I also contacted several others. I offered for everyone to come view my house telling them upfront it needed some repairs. Before opendoor would even come look at my house they wanted me to sign a contract and then they would judge how much repair was needed and deduct it from their offer, while under contract. No thanks! Plenty of others are willing to work with me.
Adam, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
We got an offer on our house from OpenDoor, and the offer was insultingly low. It was $50k-$60k less than what the comps in our neighborhood were selling for. And they claim to offer fair market value.
Craig, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
As a buyers agent, I have had the extreme DISPLEASURE of working with opendoor. So far, still under contract, it has been 10 full days of trying (weekends included) to speak to a human being who is on the listing end of this transaction. Opendoor is notorious for offering all cash offers to buy your house - unfortunately that comes at the price of you giving up most of your equity so they can capitalize on it. Opendoor leverages your hardship and exploits it so they can capitalize on it. My suggestion is that you find a Realtor who wants to help you and has your best interest at heart. Opendoor cares nothing about the people they continuously take advantage of. Oh... If you are under contract with opendoor..... Do not count on getting in touch with anyone during the sales process. They will not respond to any attempt at talking with them.
Hi Joe, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
My husband and I viewed an Opendoor property, which we liked, and even after reading some bad reviews about the company we made an offer. It was countered in an almost bullying manner. That should have been the first warning sign for us, but we pushed on. After some intervention via e-mail from an Opendoor executive, our offer was finally accepted. The inspection of the property revealed some necessary repairs, as well as a pest infestation in the attic. Opendoor responded to our request for pest control in the attic with, " this is an upgrade, and they do not do upgrades"! We were astounded! They said their inspection did not reveal any problems so therefore they will not take care of it, as it does not affect the "liveability" of the house! Actually it does. Dead pest carcasses need to be removed as this will attract further pests and could spread diseases! Other repairs were also turned down. They are basically selling an "as is" property with no urge to send in contractors to get repairs done in time for closing. We are sorry that we wasted our time and money on trying to purchase a property from Opendoor.... Never again!!
Lorraine, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
The only reason there is one star is because there is no option for zero. Opendoor is the worst. This company basically paints the walls and sweep the floor and that is IT! I finally closed on my first home after going back and fourth with them on repairs. There is no one local from the company to actually monitors the "repairs" going on. There were empty bottles of vodka and beer cans left inside and out by the contractors, broken windows from dropped tools and sheetrock mud slung everywhere but when you are drunk on the job I see why these things happen. Every time a repair was completed I would follow up and check it out and every time it was not complete, halfway done or not even touched. I canceled my first contract do to lack of repairs and I should have kept on walking away. Now, I have been in the home for one month and am facing thousand of dollars worth of repairs and not just cosmetic repairs which I was expecting. I would never buy an Opendoor home again.
Kayla, We're sorry for any frustration caused and want to make it better. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this. Thanks for your patience!
Bought a house from open door purchased on December 14th moved in on December 27 on December 31 the sewer backed up sewer water all over the 2 bathrooms. There was roots from a tree out front we had to cut the tree down remove the stump and new sewer line. So the cost is over $11,000.00. We are not wealthy people yes you do have the buy back but lot of factors that won't work for us. We have spoken to people in your company there so sorry but nothing they can do. This was a VA loan and I guarantee that I will recommend anyone not to deal with Open Door.
Thanks for letting us know about this Paul. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can look into this matter!
If I could give negative stars, I would!!!! Let me start from the beginning.....We are under contract with a home who Opendoor is selling. EVERY time we needed to enter the home either with our agent, inspection, or having someone come for an estimate, the code to enter the home was either wrong or they never sent one. We would always have to call around to get a new code. During inspection it was found that they covered a ton of mold with new carpet and the foundation has sunk and needs major repairs. We received our estimate which is for $46,000 to lift the foundation (which we sent to Opendoor to review) and they want to just take $15,000 off asking price. They have absolutely ZERO sense of urgency and will NOT get back to you in timely manner at all....its when they feel like it!!! We are using FHA, and a previous FHA was used and fell through for some reason....likely that Opendoor knows about the foundation problem (and the mold) and did NOT disclose any of this from the start. They just covered cracks on the window and door frames (from sinking foundation), slapped some paint over it and covered the moldy basement floor with new carpet hoping no one would know and buy it!!!! This is why the home has sat for sooooo long! I hope you sit on it forever, Opendoor! This is appalling!!! We have waited, and waited, and waited for responses from these people.....and they just flat out don't care!!!!! They say they will get back to you, and just NEVER do. DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They are deceitful and sneaky......This is the absolute worst company ever
Anna, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
Worst buying experience EVER! I have purchased several homes and have never run across a company that will not send the information required to close! WORST!!! Never deal with open house!!!!
Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
I contacted opendoor to get an offer on my townhome. They looked at several comps, including a townhome just a couple of doors down that had the same layout as mine.. They gave me a valuation that was 20k less than my neighbor sold for. On top of this, they took out 10% for seller fees, So the amount that I would net would be so far below the market value that it was just laughable (~50k). I'm glad that I didn't go any further with them.
Paul, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like to please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
We are buyer submitting offer since Dec 23 till Jan 5 before we had it executed. The seller side only wanted us to do this and that and they do not even put their own contact info on the contract but required us to do. We asked for repairs since Jan 8 but now Jan 14 still have no answer. The worst buying experience.
Hi Medina, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
Buyers, don’t waste your time. They won’t do a home warranty or termite bond. They said the repairs on our inspection were not repairs but “conditions” and offered pennies. It was a complete waste of our time. I will never, ever put an offer on an Opendoor home again. They should be transparent about selling as is.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Don't sell your house with opendoor. They are such ripoffs. They took 9% out for fees and repairs. They come in and find the tiniest things wrong and take more money out and then when its listed they didn't even repair what they took out of money. If you want to give away your home sell it to opendoor. Theres a special place in hell for rip off companies like this.
I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
Opendoor is rated 4.14 based on 642 reviews