Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

community@opendoor.com

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would not recommend this for hoem buying or selling. I was initially given a all cash in offer which was very low from market price but I was intrested in there buy and sell model via their agent. So I started the process of pre approval with the opendoor home loans and during the process was assigned a loan officer who was not at all responding to my queires in between and was blacked out for 4 weeks and then came back askign for more documentations which I thought was ridiculous as I had provided all reqruied documents at the first time it self and coming back after 4 weeks of silence had got my confidence with Opendoor gone. SO it is really bad experience with them so wouldn't reocmment the same.
Geo, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience.
Do not buy a house from Opendoor! They are flippers! I did not know this until after the inspection report. All they did was replace the carpet. They purchased the home and 3 days later it was on the market. The inspection report had 37 items. Three were critical including the roof. Their generous offer of $500 was firm no budging! The estimate for the roof repair alone was $2500. I was told a handyman can fix it all including the electric problems. This requires a licensed person. The house smelled of cigarettes. JUST BE CAREFUL!
My initial experience with Opendoor was good. Customer service was fantastic and response time were always prompt when I was looking into actually purchasing my house. Once I got into contract with them and it was time for me to get an appraisal and inspection done I was told to contact them when I arrived to get the code to get into the house and it was hard to get ahold of my sales individual. There were quite a few repairs to be done to the house that surprisingly Opendoor agreed to fix. Now I have been living in my house for a month and the so called repairs that they said they fixed are all breaking or they were half a**ed done. So now I am running into more issues from their “repairs” than I would’ve if I just moved in without them touching anything. Oh and they never pulled permits for what they should’ve.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
This Company has an app that ANYONE can get to open a vacant house.. including the 100+ teenagers that showed up in my small gated community to destroy the place and smoke weed all in the house... you need better verification than this.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and will utilize your feedback to further evaluate and develop.
Opendoor offers convenience to seller and buyer indeed. But the houses sold by opendoor look shabby and inferior but sort of overpriced. Opendoor maybe fixes the bought homes a bit but the works like painting/trimming/flooring seems from inexperienced handyman/contractor? Why? To contain cost? But if opendoor select to pay to fix things why not make it look good to attract buyer? The poor quality of such fixes make buyer more hesitant to proceed.

Also I use opendoor buyer agent and once assigned an agent, there seems no way to switch without the current agent knows. This is not good for buyer not satisfied with the current agent. Such buyer may look for other realty companies instead of opendoor for future transactions. Opendoor should make a better system in this case.
I wanted to like this company, and I did until I see that they are listing my house square footage as 1998.

I quoted them 1998, but then their appraiser said it was 1917 so they docked my payout by $4000 to make up for the difference in square footage.

When brought to their attention, they said they contact their agents to correct it to 1917. It's been two weeks and it's not been corrected.

I should be reimbursed for the difference or they need to correct the mistake because now my old home is being sold to someone else with the wrong sq footage, which means it's either not fair to me or it's not fair to the new buyer.

I waited before posting this so the company could make good, but as nothing has changed in two weeks, I wanted others to be aware.
KB, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
The offer came quickly, and what little contact I've had with representatives of Opendoor has been polite and professional. No complaint with that.

I got a (very) low-ball offer, and one Opendoor told me they couldn't increase. Their business model is not at all what I thought. I thought it was "we'll buy your house for cash, no muss, no fuss," but it's "we'll buy your house for cash, charge you for everything we fix or update, then charge you real estate fees as well" - not sure how this is appreciably different from a normal real estate transaction, other than there is no competition.

The comps Opendoor provided for my house on 1/16/2020 were all from 2018, with the most recent being in September 2018. Denver has a very competitive real estate market, very low inventory, and I'm selling in a very desirable neighbourhood. In early 2018, my house appraised for $50k more than Opendoor offered me (keeping in mind their offer price will only go down for repairs or upgrades they make), and has only increased in value since.

Opendoor can work their business model any way they want. If they make money that way, power to them. But I think people should be aware, and should be very thorough in their research before accepting any Opendoor offer. Don't accept comps that are a year-and-a-half old, for instance.
Marin, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
The process is pretty simple and straightforward if you sell your home to opendoor. The costs are high but you are paying for convenience. The numbers made sense for us so we went with their offer. With all that being said, The customer service was the worst and greatly impacted the overall experience . Katie M. In the San Antonio market did not seem to have a handle on anything in our file from repeatedly asking for forms that already been submitted, to a general lack of knowledge or insight on how to a real estate transaction works. I can honestly say I worry for other consumers/clients who have to deal with her.
We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
I'm giving a 2 star rating so far because I only started the selling process. I've read the reviews and I gotta say it doesn't make me feel like it's gonna go well. This company comes across as heartless and only about money and not customer service. I hope I'm wrong..
Jess, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
They are a rip off. The 7% fee they charge that claims to cover "commission" and "utilities"...they charge you again for it at closing. They also claim big things need to be repaired but obly do small things and make oit like a fat tat, with your money. I wish we disputer the 8000 reroof claim (it was 4 years old and the paperwork was right there in the kitchen. They just listed it for 185,000 and we got 166,100 for it. The people are amazing to work with, we just needed that crappy house gone now that we are military again. Jokes on them! Got traditional, they wont bickle amd dime you like these crooks. Shop around.
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a less than satisfactory experience with us Brodie. We'd like to learn more. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address. Thank you!
While Ben, my OpenDoor rep, was fantastic the rest of the process ended up being a nightmare due to lack of research on Opendoors part. On my first request for an offer, they did not look at the location at all and needed to drop the offer by 23k. Because the offer was so good, that ended up being a hiccup that we could work around.
Unfortunately the home I was buying fell through, but when I found another I requested another offer with OpenDoor a few months later. After requesting verification that the location was taken into account with the offer, I signed a second contract to sell with OpenDoor and put on offer on a home contingent with that sale.
Unfortunately, there was a massive oversight that was somehow missed and OpenDoor was actually not accepting home sales in my area any longer, but this was only figured out three weeks later, after I had already spent money on appraisals and inspections for a home I am no longer able to buy due to no longer meeting the contingencies.

Overall, both experiences were stressful and very unorganized, and there should have been some sort of oversight not allowing the company to make offers on homes they are unable to support.
While it is good that some of my costs are being recouped with the escrow from Opendoors cancelation, there is no way to recover everything or the time and energy spent going through a process that they knew from the beginning would not be successful.
Alicia, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
We thought that Open Door was going to be a life savor. We were at our ropes end with our mortgage company. Then came along Open Door. They gave us a competitive offer on our house. But when the repair estimate came in, it did sting a little. We took it, thinking that all the repairs we going to be done. I have read with others that Open Door said that they would do took money for repairs and never did them. This was definitely the case in our house as well. They took money for a new roof, this was not done. They took money for new appliances, old appliances were left in the home. They took money for small repairs to be done to the house that we not done at all. I wish I could go back and get that money back from them, this is very dishonest and fraudulent. In the end Open Door takes advantage of people looking to get out of a bad situation.
Kelly, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Obtained information and did not receive it as promised. This site only collects personal information without actually providing a service.
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a less than satisfactory experience with us. We'd like to learn more. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address. Thank you!
Very disappointed , the e mails received from open door looked positive
then they told us they could not find comparable comps for our home
in the area . I called and spoke with them that we are in a high value area
and is one of the fastest turning markets I don't see how they cant find sales . so I asked them how they arrived at this and was told they use MLS. so I asked if they are using real estate agents with MLS. and was told no they have people that use MLS through a brokers account but they are not realtors, so I asked how they know how to use it and can they really understand real estate comps. I received no answer to this question . I told them that we have many major builders here in our area , so how we can we not have comps. the homes sales in our area are going so fast that due to the rapid growth in our area some people are having trouble as many homes sellers receive multiple offers.
at this point they offered to help me find a realtor .
very disappointed in the responses it seems like they are trying to make decisions without correct and accurate information.
We are sorry your experience was less than stellar. We want to give the best possible experience to everyone and are sorry we fell short here. Please reach out to community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and include the property address so we can quickly investigate.
I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
The property was not in good shape upon us finalizing the closing. Fence was knocked down, inspection remediation not completed, and HOA citations not fixed. Buyer beware!!!
We're sorry to hear this, James. We work towards making the Opendoor experience a good one, and whenever this is not the case, we want to make it right. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can help you with this matter? Thanks!
After original offer, had inspection, inspection report was presented 25 days after(15 days after inspection period). OpenDoor was hell bent on recovering some of cost of notpickey items on inspection(ie trimming shrubbery and cosmetic painting). Eventually paid another $1k because I had 3 types of flooring in living area and was not an option on original site discription.
House was resold within 2 weeks for $10k more than they paid. Lots of frustration for very little return.
Will not use them again.
I am not impressed with OpenDoor in TX at all as a buyer. They are not transparent, it's difficult to negotiate with them re: fixes or price, they do not bring down the price much even if home is old and needs renovation badly and are not reasonable regarding fixing homes. They own the home we are buying and they do not care about quality of the home very much. They do not even agree to pay for the first year home warrantee that most sellers would pay for. Their agents that we worked with kept changing so there's no continuity and you feel like you are working with a robot. Not impressed! They also won't let us show the home or list it on MLS till closing, not sure if this is standard process.
Opendoor would not even give us an offer citing a lack of comparable properties in our area. There are houses selling left and right around us so I don’t think they looked too hard in the entire hour it took them to answer us. Very disappointing.
Mac, we apologize for the less than satisfactory experience with us. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
Open door is probably good for those in a hurry to sell or not wanting the hassle of going through the normal sales process with a Real Estate Agent and Company. However, it may cost you a lot of money. Open Door quoted my home at far below market value and they charge 6% plus other fees. They inspect and look for repairs that will need to be made in order reduce the price. Since I felt the price was far too low and I was not in a hurry or desperate, I contacted an agent. We eventually listed at $35K higher than the Open Door offer. The Real Estate Company I used charges a 1% listing fee and pays the buyers agent 2,5%. A total of 3.5% to sell We had full service and a team working with us. This led to a full price offer plus other incentives the day after our open house. In total we were listed for 4 days before a contract was signed. I know it can be tempting to take the easy way out, but in our case it would have cost us $35,000 in the sale plus the extra commission and fees that Open Door charges.
I received an attractive initial offer, and I understood I would need an in depth inspection on the property to receive the final offer. I attempted to schedule that inspection. I was sent an 18 page contract to sign before I could schedule the inspection. If I need a lawyer to decipher the contract before I can even schedule an inspection I’m not comfortable doing business with this company. I can’t make an informed decision without knowing the final offer amount and don’t want to be required to sign a legal and binding contract to get the facts I need. Zillow completed a thorough inspection today. I’m very disappointed by Opendoor because I was initially very impressed by their professionalism, service and website. If I can’t get the information I need, we won’t be doing business together.
Hi there,

Our offers are no obligation, and even following the home assessment you are free to walk away at any time. However, we truly appreciate your feedback regarding how the documentation made you feel so we will be sharing this internally. Feel free to share any additional insights with us via email, community@opendoor.com.
Opendoor is rated 4.01 based on 750 reviews