Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

community@opendoor.com

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Opendoor 5 star review on 23rd October 2021
Opendoor 5 star review on 3rd September 2021
Russell
Opendoor 5 star review on 3rd September 2021
Russell
Unfortunately did not go with this company , would of been my second choice to sell my home but it Wasn’t the highest offer.
Thank you for your feedback, we are always striving to improve and find the best ways to assist our customers. Please send us an email with your name, property address, and more details to resolution@opendoor.com, so we can investigate.
The process behind Opendoor is great. The agent I worked with in the Denver area, Kurtis, was outstanding. The mortgage officer I was assigned to through Opendoor’s financing did not impress me and simply didn't want to put in the work for us. From our exchange on the phone, he was much more concerned with his personal plans than making a deadline. Thus the lower rating. The decision to finance with another company was solely based on our mortgage advisor and her work ethic. I'm disappointed we didn't get the opportunity to access incentives Opendoor finance was offering because of the one particular mortgage contact we were assigned…
Thanks for letting us know, Fowkes! We would really like to continue to improve our services and we kindly ask you to send us an email with your story at contact@opendoor.com, so we can investigate this issue further. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review and please have a wonderful day!
I was pleased with the way every thing transpired in the selling of My home through Opendoor. I would reccommend this company because l had never sold a house before and their help was A-plus!
We appreciate the review. Thanks for sharing, and wishing you all the best in this new chapter!
In the beginning our contact at Opendoor was very responsive. For the most part that continued even post sale. They offered us a fair price for our home. There were a few glitches around closing that caused me some headache since we were coordinating a simultaneous close (selling to Opendoor and purchasing through a non-Opendoor realtor). I knew Opendoor was goi by to hold $2k in escrow for 2-3 days after closing as a damage deposit. I hadn’t heard anything and knew we’d left our previous house in very good condition. I had to contact Opendoor 10 days later to get the status of the deposit. They pointed me to JetClosing who, despite emails and phone calls, will not respond. Opendoor confirmed that they’ve authorized the release of funds but I can’t get them. It’s been over 2 weeks and I can’t get my money. I’ve contacted Opendoor again and they also don’t respond. I gave 3 stars because I have received most of the funds but this last part is putting a very negative damper on what should have been a better review.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and will utilize your feedback to further evaluate and develop.
I completed the request for an offer yesterday to determine offer validity. I’ll keep you posted as the story develops
The price they offered was as good as I expected to get on the open market. But they were very disorganized and unprofessional. It felt like I was the first client they’ve ever had and everybody was trying to figure out how things work. To top it off, on closing day I had to jump in to get a payoff quote from my bank - opendoor was going to delay closing One Week because they didn’t have the loan payoff amount - it took me at most 15 minutes to get the bank to fax it to them.
Tim and Carissa were outstanding. Process was a breeze. Except OS Title was horrible and the additional fees were excessive considering your already selling at a discount.
(Las_vegas) - Posted 1 year ago
Basically it seems like OPENDOOR is fine to sell your house quick, but buying a house from them is problematic - not surprised. You need to do your own due diligence when buying a house - whether its the owner or Open Door making claims about repairs or house status. Not sure how the process works when someone is purchasing a home from their inventory.
My girlfriend bought a house through Open Door , and I will say that the process was extremely easy. Except for the fact that they kept changing her closing date and said someone would come to her, and then they emailed everything and wanted everything done by the end of the day, the rest was pretty easy. That's all I can say, the process was fairly easy but they come across as really unorganized. And on top of that, buyer beware of the company that they hire to do any changes, remodels or renovations. The company that did her house basically did a shoddy job of putting new flooring down, the cabinets were not supported as we eventually found out, they painted over rotting wood on the outside. Basically they will come in and paint over anything and everything and put cheap flooring and carpet down while doing a really crappy job and then up the price of the house to the premium dollar. When she called to complain about certain things,, they offered her a $150 credit, that was quite laughable, but she liked the house, it was indeed cute and I own my own home maintenance business and told her I could do her no good job I'm getting the house where she wanted it. Moral of the story, pay attention unless you want to put a lot of extra money into the house on top of what you paid for it, unless you can do the work yourself, because they obviously don't care about what they're actually selling you. Not a good way to maintain a reputation
Scott, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
They changed the family carpet and the carpet on the stairs, so we asked that they shampoo the rest of the carpets since they were covered with pet urine. They told us that they would have the carpets shampooed, but instead they sprinkled the carpets with carpet powder and vacuumed it.
Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
I bought and sold with Opendoor. I really should write 2 reviews. Selling was a 5 star experience very easy and efficient. Both the gentlemen who did my home inspections were so great. Buying on the other hand was a 1 star experience. We didn’t specifically go out looking for an Opendoor home it just happened to be the home he loved. We used a realtor to help us find a home which did make us exempt from all monetary extras. It does say that on their website. The reason they get 1 star is when we submitted the offer we said we wanted the 15 year old upstairs carpet changed. They excepted our offer only wanting to change our close date. It was written in bold letters they excepted all other terms. When it came time for me to sign the contract my realtor could not find the paper about the carpet. When she called to ask about this they told her They would discuss it after the due diligence period. Which of course meant no new carpet. I thought this was very sneaky if they had just been upfront and said no we will not replace the carpet it would’ve been fine. There are a few things after our own inspection that needed to be repaired. Open door only gave us $150 to repair the dishwasher and toilet. Just know that these homes are very much as is. And even though I lost money by having my own realtor I am grateful she was there because she had to be on top of them constantly to make sure things were done. It would’ve been a very hard process to go alone.
We're sorry that this was your experience Stephanie, and thanks for letting us know. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this further!
My experience was very positive. Everyone I came in contact was professional. I would recommend your company to. Anyone looking to sell their home.
That's wonderful feedback to hear, Walter! We always strive to provide a great customer experience with Opendoor and your feedback is incredibly valuable to us. Thanks for taking the time to share!
We bought our first home through Opendoor & the experience was quick and easy. Their customer service was great, but their repair team was lacking. Everything started to fall apart after we moved in. Their new paint job started peeling in the first few days, the front door disintegrated when we tried installing new weather stripping. The garbage disposal failed within the first month. The houses "look" great, but it's all just a big bandaid covering a lot of issues. If buying from them, be prepared to have things go wrong & to fix a lot of issues.
Karyn, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
It seems that everytime we find a property, even one that has been on the market for months with no offers, and we put one on, all of the sudden there are 5 offers that came in suddenly. It feels like you want me to up my offer and that is something that I will not do. I am also finding houses a bit more expensive then other companies.
Well, I heard back quickly once I submitted the online application. That part was really easy. When I heard back, it was with the offer. I couldn't believe it was that quick. However, all of the comps in my neighborhood were from over a year previously and the offer was $50,000 less than the market value of my home. The rep asked for pictures of the current comps that were just pulled on my home by my real estate agent showing the current value (I didn't tell her I was talking with opendoor :/ After sending the real time comps, I never heard back. Finally I followed up and he quickly sent over another offer. $48,000 below market. I guess this is how they make their $$$ offer way less and hike up the price when they sell it. I give them three stars for initial engagement and -2 star for laughable offers...both times.
We appreciate you taking some time to share your honest feedback. Please know that we have shared your insights with our internal teams. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share please email community@opendoor.com.
Although it was a fairly easy process to sell my home to and buy one from OD there was some confusing parts. I will say that they will negotiate but you have to be on your P's and Q's throughout the process. I had to keep track of everything myself because I didn't always feel like they had my best interest at heart. Have to review the closing numbers carefully to make sure you're getting what was promised. I had to have them correct a few of the numbers or fight for what was promised. I had to continually remind them I was doing the trade in program. There were a lot of different contacts so that was confusing knowing who to ask about what. Overall I do recommend OD but they just need to button up some things with their process.
We truly appreciate you taking some time to share your honest feedback. Please know that your insights will be shared with our internal teams. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share please email community@opendoor.com. We thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
We have purchased and sold residences several times previously. We tried OpenDoor because we were moving long-distance in mid-winter and had already purchased our next home. Selling quickly to OpenDoor avoided a couple of months loan payments, taxes, and utilities on the home. OpenDoor has a rigid purchase model with little flexibility. It is all done online. This made us somewhat uncomfortable. We knew the home needed some painting and a thorough cleaning. OpenDoor's inspection was thorough and found a few other things. OpenDoor's offer was fair. However, we were very surprised by the 6% fee they charged. Local Realtors only charge 5%. A disturbing aspect of selling to OpenDoor is you never see a company representative and you have NO ONE representing you or watching out for your interests as you would have with a Realtor. We also were passed from person to person, always by phone or email, as we proceeded thru the process. We were very disappointed in their choice of title company - Ticor. Ticor fees were almost double other local title companies and their agent became almost belligerent when I told her of comparable title company fees. We signed 5 days before closing because OpenDoor will not close until the house is empty. We had to sign on Thursday so we could be there when the packers came on Friday and Monday and the moving truck on Tuesday. The OpenDoor representative, who had no identification, came Tuesday evening to take pictures and collect the keys. We stayed in a motel that night. Closing was the next day while we were traveling. Another problem with Ticor, they did not promptly distribute the payouts. They took nearly 2 weeks to pay the final city utility bill, forcing us to pay it and look for a reimbursement, which, after a month, has yet to arrive. They also over-withheld on the home equity loan, causing the bank to have to send us a check the following month for the excess amount. I have NEVER had such problems with a title company before. In summary, if you need to sell a home quick and don't want to deal with repairs or showings, OpenDoor may be your ticket. Otherwise, use a GOOD Realtor who will assist you and ensure you get a fair price and a good title company. Remember, it is your choice.
(Portland) - Posted 2 years ago
Set up of online account was a bit rough. Offers were fair and funds were received on closing day.Negatives, their Escrow/Title Company OS National is horrible to work with. Not enough experience and unprofessional. Use your own company right from the start if possible. Communications near closing are lacking.
(Phoenix) - Posted 2 years ago
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. Please know that your insights have been shared internally and our teams are following up accordingly. If you have any additional insights you would like to share, feel free to email community@opendoor.com.
It’s a good option if you need to sell quickly. Our initial offer from Opendoor was quite generous, but in the end, after their ‘corrections’ we walked away with a paid-off mortgage and $260. Thos was after complaining that it wasn’t our fault that Opendoor’s market research was lacking. In the end this was fine for us since I needed to free up the VA loan to buy a new house, but if you’re looking to make a profit, go with the classic realtor process.
(ATL) - Posted 2 years ago