The Shade Reviews

92% of reviewers recommend The Shade

About The Shade: The Shade is Australia's first subscription-based, home hair colouring system. Our colour is Italian-made, and is free from Ammonia, PPD, Parabens, Phthalates and Gluten.

craig@theshade.com.au

23 Milton Parade
Malvern VIC 3144

Tell us how The Shade made you happy

Email, Live Chat
Victoria P
"Brilliant! I have previously used mostly semi permanent reds and pinks so I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of this kit and the lack of mess. I loved the free application kit that came with it, especially the cape and the bowl. My hair had grown out layers of balayage but this dye applied evenly throughout despite this. The dark brown shade came out exactly as expected from the pictures and has left my hair looking shiny and healthy. It covered up with couple of greys I had with ease and didn't even leave a mess in my shower. Overall I am very pleased with the results!"
Tzara M
"I found The Shade just as a random Facebook ad and figured with their free trial it was worth a go. I chose the Mahogany Brown and got some advice emailing with a colourist first, on her recommendation i did a bleach wash before hand to get rid of previous colour buildup and lighten my starting base colour and a couple days later, coloured my hair and I am absolutely thrilled with the way this colour has turned out. My hair is so much softer, shinier, and less tangled than usual after colouring it. I'm 100% sold."
Debbie B
"Love the shade. Love the product. My hair feels amazing, soft and healthy. Thrilled."
Featured Review
This review is set as featured by the company.
"The Shade’s premium salon-grade colouring kit certainly exceeded my expectations. After previously using permanent colour from a box without the desired results, I came across The Shade on Instagram. The trial pack came with everything I needed to colour my hair at a fantastic price. As you can see in the before pics, my hair had different bands of colour, lots of grey hair underneath, it was dry, dull and felt awful. I had my close friend who has been a hairdresser for almost 40 years apply The Shade, colour Bellagio and the results were outstanding. There was no chemical smell when the product was applied, no burning or stinging of the scalp either. My hair is now an even colour, 100% full grey coverage, feels super soft, looks shiny and smells beautiful. My close friend was so impressed with the quality, the colour and the results. I will definately continue to use The Shade and will highly recommend to anyone looking for a salon-grade quality permanent hair colour without the cost of going to a salon. I’m totally in love with ‘The Shade’ my hair is - Bellagio ❤️"
"A very loving friend introduced me to The Shade, having the trial offfer I didn’t think twice and placed an order. This was after my last wed colouring with L’Oréal went bad as I got a reaction and I was loosing a lot of hair. After my first time with The Shade, I washed my hair and felt the difference straight away. When It was dry I saw the perfect shade I wanted and my hair felt silky and soft. I used only this brand for a while and when I went travelling I didn’t use anything else. I love the results it provides and every time I need an assistance the customer service is beyond amazing. Go try it."
"I have been using The Shade for 6 months now. True to colour and fade resistant. Leaves my hair in very good condition."
"Lovely colour, nice and shiney. All the extras such as the oil to stop the hair from staining my face and the colour remover are fantastic. Makes the process easy and not at all scary."
"I have red hair and have trouble keeping the colour in the white regrowth. I'm sorry but even after using the pre-softening and following the instructions, the colour hardly took to my hair. Not for me. Thanks for the trial. The accessories are good."
Hi Rosanne,

I'm sorry you didn't get the result you were looking for.

I would suggest that you contact one of our colourists at https://theshade.com.au/colourist/ for some personalised advice.

The Shade
"An excellent choice. The colour is well suited for me and there is some choice. Apllication is like going to the hairdresser without really going. Very professionally organised. Highly recommend. I am HIGHLY allergic now to PPD so needed another option - my first choice, the colours were not extensive and the product I chose too red/orange for me as a brunette. The Shade offered Ash tones as well. Thank you."
"Just tried this colour on trial. I am a redhead and have trouble keeping colour in the whites. Used the pre-softener and followed instructions but the colour hardly took to the roots at all. I haven't had this happen before. Usually the colour takes at first but washes out too quickly. This one just didn't work. Was really disappointed."
Hello, I'm sorry you had issues with the colour.

Please contact one of our colourists here who can give you some personalised advice: https://theshade.com.au/colourist/

The Shade team
"I have naturally dark brown hair and wanted to find a dye to match my colour. Como 4 Dark Brown is absolutely beautiful and looks so natural. The dye has no bad smells and is very gentle and effective. It did a great job covering up my grey. My hair is wonderfully soft and shiny. Love it!"
"Great easy to use, I'm giving a four due to coverage of greys"
"This is the third time I've coloured my hair with The Shade at home. The colour itself is so natural, it blends with my natural colour beautifully. The formula is amazing, it's not harsh or drying and doesn't damage my hair like other brands. My hair is now in better condition, no more breakage and its getting length back. I'm just sorry I didn't get The Shade sooner!!"
"Very pleased with the kit! I cannot get over how shiny my hair looks! It comes with everything you could need to colour at home. My colour Genoa (6), came out a lot darker than the swatch, closer to Bellagio (3). However, the colour itself is very nice and multidimensional. I will only buy hair colour again from The Shade!"
"it was,nt actually a ''free trial '''I joined the subscription plan right away because they have a ...cancel at anytime ..clause .I tried it out last night only using half the contents of everything and I must say I am impressed .The actual contents of the pack are good quality products .I have already recommended to my two daughters so that in itself is a good review ."
"The product was great! I have a sensitive scalp and I had no issues with the hair colour. I have had many comments from friends asking me where I got my hair done 😊💕"
"Covers my greys and I love the colour"
"my hair colour did not change, my regrowth was not affected, my greys were not covered. I followed the instructions to the letter."
Hi Samantha,

Thanks for getting in touch. Ok, our colourist can help with both colour selection and we have a process which will give you complete grey coverage on even the most colour resistant greys. Please get in touch with our colourist directly, and provide a little more information about your colour and they can help you find a colour you are happy with and achieve permanent colour results on stubborn greys. Please go to https://theshade.com.au/colourist/ I hope this helps!

The Shade team
"I have been spending $290 AUD plus on colouring at salons, and given my greys are getting more pronounced, was doing every month! I thought I'd try the Shade for the months where I couldn't get into the salon, but now use the Shade exclusively! It lasts as long, the colour and shine are great, and have received more compliments on my the Shade colours than any other time. Bargain for the quality!"
"It’s a lovely cool brown, not too dark."
"Unbelievably easy home colour hair experience with perfect colour coverage. Adding the one simple step of pre-softening made my usually colour resistant greys absorb the dye like never before. Every single hair strand is uniform, shiny and soft. Using the tint brush and tint bowl made it easy to apply the no drip generous quantity of colour product. There was no harsh smells or itchy scalp, so leaving the product in wasn't an issue - no running eyes and nose. The colour cape and mat definitely kept my bathroom and clothes clean. I am forever confident that every home colour experience will be wonderful using The Shade's products and accessories."
The Shade is rated 4.70 based on 335 reviews