The Shade Reviews

90% of reviewers recommend The Shade

About The Shade: The Shade is Australia's first subscription-based, home hair colouring system. Our colour is Italian-made, and is free from Ammonia, PPD, Parabens, Phthalates and Gluten.

+61409809063

craig@theshade.com.au

23 Milton Parade

Tell us how The Shade made you happy

Email, Live Chat
Jessica L
"Really happy with this product, colour is exactly what I was after! My hair looks super shiny now! Love that it came with everything I needed as well! It was also really gentle on my scalp so perfect for my sensitive skin!"
Serika P
"Only a real redhead understands the stress and heartbreak of having a hairdresser not understand ‘please stay true to my tone, please keep it real’. Our red hair is not just our hair ... it’s part of our soul and who we are. ‘Palermo’ is true to tone and keeps it real. It’s undone the damage a hairdresser did (‘no, trust me ... it needs more than just a refresh, you’ll love it!) and, after a couple of washes to settle it in, Palermo will restore my true tone. Covered my greys beautifully and the product is pure bliss to use. You really do need to sell the shampoo and conditioner as part of the range ... it’s just gorgeous. The photos shows my hair coloured about an hour ago, dried naturally. I’m 54 and it’s left it so lovely and soft ... and no ammonia stench! Love it, I’m hooked ... thank you."
"Absolutely loved my kit & colour! The packaging is beautiful, and I loved the quality of the tools. No nasty surprises with the colour, and it turned out exactly how I wanted. I am going to be experimenting with other shades too 😊 I love how I can use this product with confidence as a breastfeeding mother, as the ingredients are free from nasties. Not oy do I get a lovely colour, I get a hair treatment too! My hair is so soft, smooth, shiney and healthy. 💜"
"Colour was nice, but no better than the professional brand I buy from Price Attack hair supplies. I feel it works out more expensive buying the Shade, so will continue with my large bottle of peroxide and professional tube of colour, which will give me 4 root touch ups from the one tube, and dozens from the peroxide. $25 for a tube of colour and a small sachet of mixer is ludicrous"
"The colour was significantly different to what was shown online (much more than any expected amount for error with differing computer screens/lighting/etc). Used the colour 6.1 to slightly darken hair to a medium brown, the colour came out extremely dark brown almost black. Very disappointed."
Samantha, I'm sorry you didn't get the hair colour you were looking for. Please have a read of this blog: https://theshade.com.au/blogs/my-colour-result-is-darker-than-i-expected-why/ Our colour images online are accurate depictions of the colour, but there are other factors why your result is darker than expected. Also have a look at this blog on colour build-up: https://theshade.com.au/blogs/colour-build-up-is-the-worst/ If you would like some personalized help, please contact our colourist Camilla at camilla@theshade.com.au who would be happy to help you. I hope this helps!
"The packaging and products in my package were beautiful however the colour that was matched with my hair was lighter then my actual hair and did absolutely nothing to my hair I'm so sad as was so happy to have found such a cleaver company"
Hi Billy, sorry you didn't get the colour you were looking for. I have asked our colourist Camilla to contact you to help you out with a colour that will be right for you. Have a great day! The Shade team
"Exceeded my expectations, thank you!"
"I was delighted to discover that a quality hair colouring service had made its wAy to Australia. When I lived in New York, I used a similiar service and the results are far superior to the boxed colouring kits you buy in chemists etc. My initial experience with The Shade was a little disappointing as I had selected the wrong colour for my hair and had the dreaded red halo effect. I chatted on line with Camilla and she identified the correct colour for me and sent it out as soon as she could. Im very happy with the quality of the products and the excellent customer service."
"I dye my hair at home, in between salon visits, & there is NEVER enough colour in the store bought version. There was so much colour to completely cover my long, very thick hair, I was just astounded. This is the best find ever"
"A deep and rich colour is the end result of the product. I am very happy with the results as I am very allergic to all other hairdyes and after the first use I did not have a reaction. Thank you to The Shade."
"Really great colour guidance, loved the quick and easy ordering and delivery as well as the very clearly set. Out instructions and labeled packs in the box. Think it's fantastic that you include the shampoo and conditioner for the first wash and the barrier oil and hair removal wipes were very helpful! Would give a 5 but for the not so great set of plastic gloves that come in the pack, would have preferred a set of black latex to give me better control over the brush etc and the cape being plastic was not very breathable making my shoulders and back quite hot while trying to do my hair in the bathroom on a hot day! Little things I know but details I remember. Overall really impressed!"
"A great idea in theory but perhaps not the best option for everyone. I have a long pixie cut and there was just enough dye for full coverage so if u have longer or thicker hair, get extra dye. The application was easy. The included brush was great with strong bristles and the right size to color. Love the barrier oil. Would make cleanup a breeze for darker colors. Smell was pleasant and not over powering. I also have a sensitive scalp and the dye didn't burn or make my head itch like store brands. I started with a darker brown color on my hair with mousy blonde roots. I ordered the lightest ash blond but unfortunately the colour was not the desired result. My roots took the color well but after 50 minutes (10minutes more than the recommended time for stubborn greys) the best it got was a coopery/strawberry blond. It's not hideous but it's not great either. The ends which had a brown colour already didn't change at all. The shampoo and conditioner smelled amazing and my hair is very soft and shiny. Shame the color wasn't the expected result because otherwise it's a great idea and I would have happily had a subscription."
"Love this! Can't really afford to get my hair coloured at the salon, so this is the perfect solution. Easy to use, all the accessories in my first order were great. Love the colour too, covered my greys perfectly :)"
"This product is INCREDIBLE. I am in love with the quality of not only the dye itself but also the brush, cape and no spill mat! I definitely recommend THE SHADE to anyone. The convenience is fantastic. The instructions are very easy to follow and there is absolutely NO MESS!!! I will never go to a salon again!"
"I am very impressed by the overall product and packaging. Having used the colour today, I cannot vouch for how long it might last but I was happy with the result achievwd today. Also, there is plenty of product for those with long hair. The real bonus for me was the fact that there was no nasty chemical smell or burn on my scalp when I applied and let the product develop on my hair. For that alone, I would recommend this colour kit to anyone who colours at home either regularly or occasionally."
"The colour I chose was not as ashey as I expected and the grey coverage was not as good as I hoped. This product is okay but maybe not the best if you want to cover up a large amount of grey hair."
"The positives: the conditioner is amazing and soo soft, no smell once the dye is washed out, the colour is rich and natural, the accessories make cleaning up easy, grey coverage is good. The negatives: the colour was darker than intended, it stained my skin more than normal home dyes despite the oil barrier, it smelt pretty bad while it was on, despite having an undercut and mid-length hair I felt like I was running light on product."
"I have reacted to this product"
Hi Tammy,

I'm very sorry you had a reaction. Unfortunately a small percentage of people have an issue with some ingredients in hair dye.

Thanks for trying The Shade and I'm very sorry it didn't work out for you.

Best Regards,

The Shade team
"The packages are gorgeous. The only thing that I felt could be better with the packaging was the horrible gloves included. I think black gloves latex or recycled plastic would be so much better. The product was beautiful to use, I ordered a dark ash brown which it suggested would balance the red tones in my hair. It didn’t reduce the red tones however it is still a lovely deep colour. I was very pleasantly surprised by the transaction, but do not colour my hair regularly enough to continue with the established membership periods. It would be excellent if we could set our own distribution times, I would then be happy to continue a membership. Beautiful product, highly recommended."
"This product has my hair colour the most even it has been in years of doing my own hair at home using many different products! There are many pro's to this product including: - Smells GREAT (not like stinky peroxide) - Colours evenly and really well - Easy to use and easy to follow instructions - Doesn't burn (like some others) - Is effective and efficient However, a couple of cons; - It's a little messy in application from a bowl rather than a tube - Personally, I have 2 tone hair (I only dye 3/4 of the top) so it was more difficult to ensure the colour wasn't going into my darker underneath as I was using a bowl and brush to apply - If you have alot of fine hair (or thick hair) you will need two packages as there is limited product. All in all, I'm exceptionally impressed by this product and will be back as a customer to get some more just before my birthday party (when my hair will be next due for a colour)"
The Shade is rated 4.70 based on 134 reviews