Direct Line Reviews

of reviewers recommend Direct Line

Tell us how Direct Line made you happy
They wanted to increase my premium even though I'd been an existing customer for 4 years and had 4 years no claims discount. Didn't want to leave but they wouldn't budge on the price and managed to get it much cheaper elsewhere. I've never had any problems with them and their customer service has been great so I would consider going back to them if they could be a bit more competitive with the pricing.
Our boiler has broke we pay extra for an emergency breakdown service..joke!! there’s no urgency on their part. We have now been without heating and hot water for seven days with no signs of it being fixed up to today. Trying to get through to speak to someone is a nightmare and when you do eventually get through..up to an hour later, they are a complete waste of time and have done absolutely nothing for us, they could not give two hoots. They have not chased up the parts we have been waiting for over a week now and expect us to do it. Avoid this company at all cost they’re advertising on the TV for emergency cover is false and a load of rubbish. Should report to trading standards we won’t be renewing our insurance policy with them in the future.
I had an at fault collision with another car on a roundabout which was technically my fault but direct line handled everything to a successful conclusion and saved me a lot of hasle
SHADY DIRECT LINE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE After being with DL for years, never claiming, when we did the cold response was 'your not covered' even though it was DL Plus. Have to say, what we said to the DL rep was worded inaccurately by one word so instead of sending a professional to look at the situation instead of in our panic said the 'wrong word' is dismissive appalling and shady at best. Customers will panic at stressful times and DL first response should have been 'we will send a DL professional to assess' not a No. I'm 100% we would be covered now we have the full facts and engaged solicitors argued and complained but we are retired, disabled and can't cope with stress. but we will never use DIRECT LINE AGAIN.
A nightmare. Am still seeking answers from June as to why company sought to renew policy (despite cancellation); then sought to obtain money from bank (despite previous year's cancellation of automatic renewal). Spoke twice to the company. Asked for clarification of account. Confirmed money not owed. Never a proper answer to any query: just more templates from various departments. Patience running out !
Awful company they should actually be called DIRECT LIE not direct line. I would rate them as a zero for customer care and dishonesty. Nobody seems to be accountable and it feels as if they are all working in silos. This company seriously let me down. Their mistakes allowed me to unwittingly drive uninsured, I only found out when I was stopped by the police resulting in consequences which will affect me for years. They are so incompetent that they even let me drive away from the police still uninsured, despite guaranteeing over the phone that I was covered. This company will outright lie to you, they don't get back to you when they say they will, they just take your money then move on. If you are a customer already, then I suggest keeping a note of and/or screen shotting any correspondence that you have with them. They will lie about any disputes which leave them accountable rather than owning up. If you are not a customer then avoid at all costs.
Dreadful and uncompetitive pricing. Changed car, and quote we were given was THREE times more expensive than going with the manufacturer's own policy, which has guaranteed same policy price for next three years, as well as guaranteed use of OEM parts and facilities in case of need for repair. Direct Line didn't get close, relying on the automatic renewal system to hope that customers stay 'loyal'. Shocking set up.
I spoke to a very helpful customer service young lady who provided me with a quote for car insurance, I decided to accept this but changed my original start date. She advised me it would cost me more as admin fees would be applied as I had changed the date. I'm perplexed! How can admin fees be added to a quote? I understand this is normal practice with quotes. Direct Line lost out as I went to Churchill instead! Very disappointed in Direct Line.
DO NOT EVER USE DIRECT LINE. I am a landlord and my Tennant left me with £2000+ in house repairs and rent arrears. I had legal cover to cover me for this event. When I claimed they sent my claim to DAS legal services who asked for mountains of information including receipts and statements. All this was provided. It took DAS 4 months to assess the claim. After which they accepted I had a claim. They then subcontracted legal services to Blake MORGAN who also dragged they heals as well and no action was taken. After another 4 months they decided not to continue with the claim so DAS then appointed another legal firm and surprise surprise they did nothing as well. I complained to DL numerous of times who were not interested and bypassed this back to DAS. So in the 10 months that have gone by zero action has been taken to claim my monies from Tennant. DL and DAS are sharks and got a reply them today saying I no longer have a valid claim. What a outfit. So as a matter of principle will be Going the Omudsman. Never experienced this total disregard and contempt for paying customers. Thanks
Awful company. Lied to by them. Told I had no outstanding payments due until this month but now they decided to cancel my policy for a missed payment. Out of order. Stranded at a hospital car park with my 11 month old baby. Drove my car uninsured as I wasn’t aware they cancelled it. Too scared to admit their own faults. Terrible. Don’t use direct line for ANYTHING. WASTE OF SPACE COMPANY. Wouldn’t trust anything they say. Gone a f’d us over basically. Anyway. Any ‘outstanding’ payments we might owe them they can go do one.
Only a few questions with multiple detailed answers for some of them.
Dont believe what they tell you on TV! They will try every way not to pay out. My boiler has broken down, which I ended up with a £1600 bill that Direct Line didnt want to pay, as the water was merky in the boiler! They blamed that on a split Pressure Vessel! So Ive gone back to Towergate Insurance! So pleased I didnt move the rest of my portfolio over to DL!!! Stay well away!
Used to think they were good but my insurance has gone up massively despite having 9 years no claims. I found another insurance company offered the same benefits for half the price
Absolutely dreadful experience getting a quote. Then finally after paying for insurance they added £103 as they said I had falsified information. Tried to explain over the phone about the misunderstanding but they weren't interested. Don't use them, ended up costing a fortune, they have you over a barrel once you have paid
Told on Monday l would receive £1200 for my car £950 paid into my account the next day.No correspondence from them to say why. No contact from them regarding my injuries No updates from claims department. Never again
I can't give no stars but would if i could Mis Sold insurance for my van wanted social domestic & pleasure which i was quoted for only when van was broken in to did i find out that i was sold business insurance which they switch you to automatically once you have paid, (but don't tell you) because they don't do social domestic & pleasure for vans leaving you under insured. and laughed at, also been refused information when i requested it under the subject access request. DO NOT GO TO DIRECT LINE GO ANYWHERE ELSE you do actually get laughed at.
Their inibilty to support their customer when they are 100% not at fault and not even listen to evidence or acknowledge photographic evidence. A very poor claim structure and legal department.
Awful absolutely awful.
Do not even try to get a quote from Direct Line Insurance if you value your sanity. Unfortunately, I realised the extent of dissatisfaction of their customers and potential customers when I read the comments of their customers. This was after I tried to get a quote from them and to my horror they declined to give me a quote! Then patronised me by saying that of course I can apply again when my circumstances change. When I asked them what circumstances had to change, their unbelievable answer was that their decision is based on their underwriting criteria and I was not allowed to know the factor or factors that resulted in their decision! In other words I can reapply when these factors personal to me which are secret to me change. No doubt any sane and reasonable person can see the ridiculous, unfair and stressful position forced on the unlucky people who try to get a quote from them. Whilst I accept that they have a right to offer insurance (Or not) to whoever they prefer, it is their total disregard for the impact of their decision on their potential customers and their refusal to concede that people should be able to ask on what basis a decision has been made that may have potential impact on their future insurance application
Good afternoon Following your previous conversation with Colin, the claim has now been returned to me Attached is a copy of the confirmation of cover provided to your mother when the policy was taken out. You will see from this that there is no cover for outbuildings. I am sorry therefore but as the garage which has suffered damage is clearly an out building, I cannot make a payment in respect of this With regard to the rear wall, I note from our conversation following my visit, that you feel that this had been weakened over a period of time by the fact that it was connected to the garage which had had a roof collapse (which had been removed at the time of my visit) although the section of the wall forming part of the garage is still intact. I would agree that the wall has deteriorated over a period of time and the remaining section is showing signs of wear and tear with roots growing through it Unfortunately the policy does exclude gradual deterioration and whilst you did initially report the cause as being storm, there have been no recorded weather conditions of storms of significant strength to bring down a brick wall for some months prior to the incident. For these reasons I am sorry but I am unable to consider a payment to your mother on this occasion. I realise that you will be disappointed by this decision but I do hope that the reasons for this have been made clear for you Regards Christine Lawson Commercial Property Insurance Advisor Bromley Scan Centre Mail point 49 Floor 0 Phase 3 Westmoreland Road Bromley BR1 1DP Tel 07714 223601
Direct Line is rated 2.00 based on 92 reviews