Direct Line Reviews

of reviewers recommend Direct Line

Tell us how Direct Line made you happy
WOW SO MY REVIEW HAS BEEN REPORTED on trustpilot BY DIRECT LINE BECAUSE I AM TELLING THE TRUTH AND THEY CAN NOT ACCEPT, WELL I HAVE ALL THE CALL RECORDED AS WELL SO #Direct Line do not worry i can prove what i wrote, Had accident and it was my fault, no 3rd party involved, i was asked to give statement and evidence which i did, i request my car should be repaired on my own choice of garage but they refusing to send instruction to my garage and offer me to take my car on my own expensive and ask the garage to give estimate, even DL know that they have to instruct the garage first but refusing it. now they refusing to give me hire car and refusing to instruct my garage and the case handler(Jennie) told that if i called or complaint that should be directed to her, she said that i am not allowed to speak to anyone apart from her even she lied and gave me wrong information, now she is bulling me saying that under which law it says that no one can go though my belonging without my consent. I made complaint and that complaint went to her to investigate and she will not stop bullying me until the claim is settle but at later DL might compensate me. She knows what she is doing is wrong but she can not say it and she has been pushed by someone in DL to do that such as, not give me hire car, not send instruction to the garage to repair the car, give me wrong information, let the garage to go through my belonging, delay the claim, refused to speak to someone els, etc. Even if i call to ask for DL t&c my call will be transfer to her and then her words are their t&c. Basically she has to tell me who i can speak to and who i can not, she has to decide what i can have and what i can not. For now i can not speak or complaint to anyone and i can not have anything. I have comprehensive insurance with DL from 5 years, paid guarantee hire plus, Under their t&c says if i choice to repair my car with my own choice of garage i will have hire car for 21 days, she refused to send the instruction to my garage until now and she saying that i had my car for 21 days because i chose to use my own garage so now still she will not send instruction to the garage and she will not give me hire car. Better stay away from this company and it will be my last year with them even i paid yearly
Dont believe what they tell you on TV! They will try every way not to pay out. My boiler has broken down, which I ended up with a £1600 bill that Direct Line didnt want to pay, as the water was merky in the boiler! They blamed that on a split Pressure Vessel! So Ive gone back to Towergate Insurance! So pleased I didnt move the rest of my portfolio over to DL!!! Stay well away!
FRAUD. I have incontrovertible evidence that Direct line have committed fraud by devaluing a claim. In a response to a complaint dated the 30th of April I was offered a sum of money in full and final settlement of a claim, Direct line were at all times aware that further damage had been reported by me and their own contractors polygon, Direct Line have refused to acknowledge this damage, and refused information under subject access. The fact they have deliberately, knowingly and wilfully devalued the claim is contrary to the fraud act 2006 (section 2) 1) A person is in breach of this section if he— (a) dishonestly makes a false representation, and (b) intends, by making the representation— (i) to make a gain for himself or another, or (ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
Disgusting insurance company have been with them for 28 years only made one small claim before. Had persistent rain fall for days had my boiler pour with water ceiling and electrics also damaged. Was told by arrogant adviser that we were not covered because they classed it as not a storm.Also have no hot water or heating for over two weeks. Direct line told us we have to pay for all works ourselves saying we were wrongly covered whilst happily taking our money each month .We are definitely moving companies also we would never recommend this company to anyone. So upset and struggling these things always seem to happen at already difficult times.
Told on Monday l would receive £1200 for my car £950 paid into my account the next day.No correspondence from them to say why. No contact from them regarding my injuries No updates from claims department. Never again
My policy increased fro around £330 To £630 in 2 years. Direct line could not and didn't want to justify this increase and only offered a small reduction. No loyalty and I have now found another quote for £326.00 . Make sure you shop around. Remove your automatic renewal to avoid being ripped off.
EASY TO GET INSURANCE - BUT BEWARE IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A CLAIM There are lots of very nice reviews on here about how easy it is to get Direct Line insurance - but beware if you are ever going to make a claim. We are in the process of going through a claim for our shower room at the moment. Direct Line are trying to get me to agree for them to pay to replace only two rows of tiles in a room that is fully tiled floor and walls even though the policy agrees that they would/could pay for 50% of the cost of new tiles if the tiles cannot be replaced or will be damaged. I have told them that I cannot buy the tiles again (they are 8 years old) and the person who owns the company that I hope will do the work has also told them that the tiles cannot be replaced and that he cannot do the work without taking the vanity unit and toilet out which will also damage other tiles. I also have other issues with this claim. I have complained and the issue has been escalated to the department that deals with complaints - however, they give themselves EIGHT weeks to come back to you. They may well take less time, and they may well not. Some years ago we had a flood at the house - we were also covered by Direct Line and I cannot tell you how difficult it was to deal with them over this claim at a time when my home had no ceilings and a lot of water damage. I am not in the habit of making insurance claims over the many years I have had home and building insurance but if you pay a large amount of money every year in case you need to make a claim then the expectation is that they would be there for you. Of course they want to pay out as little as possible, but in this case it does not make any sense. Dealing with the claims department has been the most upsetting, stressful and horrible experience so far. I don't expect that their complaints department is going to be any different. I can of course go to the ombudsman if I do not like the outcome, which will again take a lot of time. I do wonder if the people on the end of the phone and Direct Line themselves have any idea, or even care, about their customers. I can't really think they do, this is just about money
One of direct line tricks Cell you policy And then send you letter one week later saying sorry we count cover this that and 1 or 2 other things .onec you paid for your policy they got your money I would never trust them again
If you want life insuance with this compnay make sure you dont have a disability. I tried to get £100000 cover to ensure that my baby daughter's future was secure if god forbid I was to die before she was 18 and becasue I have epilepsy they refused to give me cover. So much for equal oppertunities and non discriminate.
Moved to Direct Line from a previous provider of some 15 years, as looked like a good deal -UNTIL called upon to step up! I suffered a boiler breakdown 2 days ago, just as temperatures began to dip into -0c overnight again. Read my home insurance policy to confirm that I was covered for: - • any controls forming part of the boiler • the programmer, central heating pump, hot water cylinder, room thermostat and radiators. Great I thought, so I called the claim line - to be advised that Direct Line only provide cover for certain boiler types, ie, Gas Boilers - and that cover does not extend to Oil Fired Boilers - OK (found this in the cover booklet). BUT, what has really annoyed me is that the part that failed on my Oil Fired Boiler (the Programmer), is exactly the same part that is fitted to the Gas version of this model of boiler!! Absolutely no room for discussion - just a straightforward, sorry, but tough! Up for renewal next month, and will certainly not be hanging around!
would not bother with this company ,told them of ridge tiles and slates broken and missing ,after a storm last year was told its ,wear and tear ,the usual excuses , not one bit interested ,seems your covered for virtual very little , before i explained what had happened he said sorry not covered , you've been warned
Where do I start! Stay clear. After 18 years of no claims or accidents, I thought paying extra for a what I thought was reputable insurer would see me well covered in emergency. I have been mislead the whole way. 1. I paid for hire cover plus to make sure that we had equivalent vehicle to carry on working as business cover. Notified them must have towbar for enterprise to say they don't offer that and direct line would have to put a note on account for them to out source it so had to put up with a van instead of a pickup. 2. Constant trouble trying to get through to the engineer valuating it to which end finally found out he put through the valuation without our consent so have had no say in it. The money was put into our account therefore resulting in enterprise removing the hire car service. 3. I wanted to use the replacement vehicle service they advertised which was one of the reasons I went with them to find out that they just pass your details to a sales company but the vehicle must be under 7 years old and 70,000 miles so had no chance of using this service as replacement. Of course its all hidden in the small print. 3. Was told the valuation dispute would be looked at by an indepent association and would receive a call at beginning of last week to get a call today from again a direct line inspector after chasing again over 1 week late. They have valuated the market value at rock bottom. Due to what they class as extensive damage at rear, we are talking about a few debts mainly on tailgate so most would be resolved by a new tailgate which wouldn't take of thousands. I am being told that will now have to take to financial ombudsman. We have seen the looking glass valuation at around £5,500 so to knock of £2000 for a few small dents is rediculous and know have to waste loads more of my time. Older module with higher mileage are going for £5000 in this area. We have seen no evidence for the valuation and had no say at all. I have 9 years no claims paid over £700 for insurance and £500 excess to get £3000 ontop of having to put extra money into buying a new vehicle. No consideration taken either that we are in a lock down and you are not allowed private car sales at the moment or to travel distance so forced to used a sales company instantly putting the price up. What is the point of paying over £200 extra for the top brand insurer if they have say so to pay out what they want. Will just be going with cheaper company from now on and Direct line you will be loosing 4 of our policies with you permently. Disgraceful service. I noticed that a lot of the higher reviews havnt had to actually use the service so I'm sure there review would change if they did claim. They say you know what a company is like when you have issues. Well I know that Direct Line are unbelievable. Fuming is an understatement. Be warned.
Had an accident Sep 4th, they booked a pick up for the car on the 23rd of September, 3weeks later, while the sensors were all failing and I didn’t feel safe to drive my son in that car. The day of scheduled pick up the garage they selected to fix our car calls to inform us they can’t pickup the car because they don’t have the parts. Waisted my day on that day. I wanted to take my car to the car manufacturer dealership but they said if you do so, you have do the estimate yourself and we will only give you the car rental for one week only. Basically making it difficult to convince me to send the car to their chosen garage. Car was finally picked up on Sep 30th. 2 weeks later, the car is not ready and garage keeps telling us it’s being washed for few days. Finally the garage admits that they can’t reset the sensors software and it has to go to the manufacturer dealership. Their first availability was Nov 11. So my car which is an electric car was sitting in theist garage for weeks while I had to pay congestion charges to go to central London or take a cab to avoid the charge. Because they don’t give you an electric rental. I was told they give us £10 for everyday that it takes to fix my car more than the one week promised time. So 2.5 months later my car will be delivered tomorrow but received £70 compensation for all these days that I didn’t have my car, paid petrol that I didn’t need to, congestion charges that I didn’t need to pay with my electric car and cab costs that I didn’t need to pay. All this time they failed to mention there is a maximum of £70 to be paid to the client for compensation. Miserable service. Wouldn’t recommend them, they didn’t check to see if their chosen garage can fix my car or not. They just wanted to save money
i would put zero star if there was an option to do so. just spoke to the person dealing with my claim Elizabeth Scherer utterly rude and awful customer service. my claim havent been sorted out and theres no clear evidence that a key was used to steal my car from the cctv footage i’ve seen. they will not help but say theres nothing more they can do. i leave my car in a car garage for some repairs and it gets stolen and now nothing is being done about it. she said the car was not hacked into. without any evidence. nowadays cars can easily be hacked into and stolen. now its been over 3 months and am still left without my car. what was the purpose of buying comprehensive cover? PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS USELESS INSURANCE COMPANY.
Our boiler has broke we pay extra for an emergency breakdown service..joke!! there’s no urgency on their part. We have now been without heating and hot water for seven days with no signs of it being fixed up to today. Trying to get through to speak to someone is a nightmare and when you do eventually get through..up to an hour later, they are a complete waste of time and have done absolutely nothing for us, they could not give two hoots. They have not chased up the parts we have been waiting for over a week now and expect us to do it. Avoid this company at all cost they’re advertising on the TV for emergency cover is false and a load of rubbish. Should report to trading standards we won’t be renewing our insurance policy with them in the future.
I had an at fault collision with another car on a roundabout which was technically my fault but direct line handled everything to a successful conclusion and saved me a lot of hasle
SHADY DIRECT LINE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE After being with DL for years, never claiming, when we did the cold response was 'your not covered' even though it was DL Plus. Have to say, what we said to the DL rep was worded inaccurately by one word so instead of sending a professional to look at the situation instead of in our panic said the 'wrong word' is dismissive appalling and shady at best. Customers will panic at stressful times and DL first response should have been 'we will send a DL professional to assess' not a No. I'm 100% we would be covered now we have the full facts and engaged solicitors argued and complained but we are retired, disabled and can't cope with stress. but we will never use DIRECT LINE AGAIN.
A nightmare. Am still seeking answers from June as to why company sought to renew policy (despite cancellation); then sought to obtain money from bank (despite previous year's cancellation of automatic renewal). Spoke twice to the company. Asked for clarification of account. Confirmed money not owed. Never a proper answer to any query: just more templates from various departments. Patience running out !
Awful company they should actually be called DIRECT LIE not direct line. I would rate them as a zero for customer care and dishonesty. Nobody seems to be accountable and it feels as if they are all working in silos. This company seriously let me down. Their mistakes allowed me to unwittingly drive uninsured, I only found out when I was stopped by the police resulting in consequences which will affect me for years. They are so incompetent that they even let me drive away from the police still uninsured, despite guaranteeing over the phone that I was covered. This company will outright lie to you, they don't get back to you when they say they will, they just take your money then move on. If you are a customer already, then I suggest keeping a note of and/or screen shotting any correspondence that you have with them. They will lie about any disputes which leave them accountable rather than owning up. If you are not a customer then avoid at all costs.
Absolutely dreadful experience getting a quote. Then finally after paying for insurance they added £103 as they said I had falsified information. Tried to explain over the phone about the misunderstanding but they weren't interested. Don't use them, ended up costing a fortune, they have you over a barrel once you have paid
Direct Line is rated 1.97 based on 120 reviews