RAC Insurance Reviews

Cancellations & Refunds
Cancellation Process
Difficult

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
Cheap on the way in and then WAY more expensive than 90% of the field when we changed the car. Con artists. : o /
When changing to a new car The RAC were very poor. Tried to charge us double the rate found on comparison sites or a very large charge to leave - no interest in keeping us as a customer at all - would not in anyway recommend them.
Theres a reason RAC insurance is scoring 2/3. They could be more up front about things. First year they roped me in with a lower quote and this year bumped up by 20% for no reason. When i enquired they said first year was introductory new customer. What about loyalty, thats whay don't have any. Then when you want to report an incident you have got to do in 2 places . With RAC and then under writer! One day insurer will appreciate loyal customers.
We have been very happy with the insurance until buying a new car. RAC wanted nearly double the premium to insure the car with no extras. We explained we can get it cheaper, even their broker Aviva is miles cheaper than their quote. The refund is rubbish will never use again.
It was all good and happy until I got an email yesterday with the third line bluntly and threateningly stating "Formal Notice of Cancellation due to black box not being fitted", which would obviously scare anyone. Mind you, I've still got 8 days to fit my black box. Well, let me tell you something. Having to fit their black box shouldn't be the customer's responsibility, regardless of how much you believe it "can easily be done by teenagers", and given the fact that my first box with them was fitted by an engineer in 2019. So I received my box on Tuesday, they gave me 14 days to fit it, so I thought, great, I'm off on Friday, let's do it then. I couldn't fit it due to all the bolts being stuck on and near my battery. So then I receive a shitty email, threatening to cancel my policy...... 4 days after I've received the box to be fitted. Overall good experience with the company up until now, but the fact they keep saying "use our online services to make changes", even though over the two years I haven't been able to log onto their online services a single time due to it always being down, that email was very unnecessary and I'll probably be taking my car insurance elsewhere when my renewal comes around. Oh, and promising "no curfew" and then reducing your points for night driving is a whole new level of false advertising.
Feel totally let down and disappointed. Wanted to bring multi-car insurance across from LVE. Went on comparison site and received quotes for each car but was unable to link into multi-car policy to get 10% discount. Took out car 1 policy via link. Rang up to link car 2 onto policy to be told quote no longer valid as I was now a customer. New quote for car 2 was £60 more expensive!!!!!. Took car 2 to another provider. Will take car 1 away as well at end of policy out of principle. Wouldn't expect RAC to rip customers off. Expected better!
The insurance and breakdown cover are dealt with separately and in the end cost me a lot of money. You can only cancel at the end of the year by phoning up!! No option on line to cancel.
tried to cancel policy with only 2 months remaining as i had sold the car, £34 per month, but they wanted £55 cancellation fee. Absolute farce. never again, cancelling my breakdown assistance also just on principal.
renew policy over £200 a year more than others - when I went online to cancel the renewal they forced me to ring them resulting in a long wait (5 mins until I was even put on hold).
No competitive rates available and they don't care losing a customer !
No help during covid 19 restrictions and then having not used my car for months .then when i got my renewal quote they wanted an increase of 75 pounds .I went elsewhere .avoid
RAC Insurance make it IMPOSSIBLE for you to cancel your insurance via mail/email/fax. The only way you can do it is by phoning the company which is unacceptable, in my opinion. Apart from the premium having increased it is the other reason why I have decided not to renew with them. I also don't see why I should spend 20-25 minutes on hold (at my expense) for a simple cancellation. They say they do it for 'security reasons' but my feeling is that this is an excuse to try to get you to stay loyal to the company. Bye bye RAC..
About to leave RAC insurance, as Premium based on estimated mileage of 5,00 miles per year & I have only dome 147 since Taxing & Renewing in January owing to lock down. They should give refunds as they have not run the risk anticipated, so their loss ratio will be massively reduced. Utmost Good Faith should work both ways.
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
Cancellation fee is £55. Which for a motorbike where insurance only cost approx £150 is very steep.
I wouldn’t recommend at all!! Had a black box fitting during lockdown and I had to fit it myself and they sent me a faulty box I rang numerous time to get a new box they kept sending me emails saying my insurance was going to be cancelled. Finally 6 months later they came to fit it. Two days later I get an other email saying that my insurance is going to get cancelled again because the box that they fitted isn’t working and I have to book someone to out and fit it on the next email which they never sent. I rang up and told them what the email said they told me there was job needing to come out and fix my black box and someone would get back to me. Still waiting for someone to get back to me.
Setting up the direct debit and choosing your coverage was pretty straightforward, however as soon as you confirm your payment that's when the customer service quality disappears. No further communication, no access to policy documents, website malfunctioning etc.
I cancelled the policy within the cooling off period because they were very dictatorial in their communications. They told me I had to have a black box which would monitor all my driving and parking, and where I was visiting etc. I was told my no claims was incorrect and I was lying on my application. There was an error from my previous insurance companies which I contacted and sorted out. I decided I did not want to be insured by the RAC so I changed my insurance company.
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
First they tried to put up my Insurance 50% and then when I tried to claim for a broken rear screen abroad I had to pay for it myself (not a problem) and then tried to claim only to discover that I wasn't insured by the RAC but AXA. RAC didn't answer my Emails and their automatic telephone system sent me round in circles. I'm sorry to say that I have now found a different company who are 30% cheaper and you can talk to a human straight away
The insurance itself was fine, and when my car was hit my another driver the damage was repaired. The difficulty came when my windscreen was cracked, and it took over 2.5 months and five appointments before they finally replaced it (including turning up once with a windscreen for an entirely different make and model of car). The renewal came in at 33% higher than other online quotes which had a lower voluntary excess, so I won't be returning to RAC.
I can understand why there are so many young drivers without insurance my daughter has been with rac 11 mouths and has just had her insurance cancelled for driving 33 mph in a 30 dispite numerous phone calls and promises that they will sort it out they have not bothered and have now charged her a cancellation fee although they say they are sorting it out. Now she can’t get insurance because they have cancelled and she has to tell new company
RAC Insurance is rated 2.31 based on 1,086 reviews