Hsbc Reviews

of reviewers recommend Hsbc
Telephone, Email, Live Chat

Tell us how Hsbc made you happy
Dreadful all round.
Absolutely terrible customer services. We have fraud on our account which we need to talk to someone about. We can get through to the fraud team, despite being transferred by the customer services team, we have been on hold for hours over the last few days, after 2 hours of waiting each time we get hung up on. I've banked with hsbc for 11 years but as soon as I can I will be moving banks. They have ruined our Christmas, hundreds of pounds have been taken from our account and no one will help us. I'm on the phone to customer service as I write this but as usual after being put on hold the line goes dead. My husband has been on hold since 8am this morning. Absolutely horrific customer services.
Our treasurer left our bowls club at the beginning of August. Since then we have been trying to have our new treasurer made a signatory and to have access to our account online. Well so far after months the new treasurer can sign cheques but otherwise they continue to let our old treasurer have online access to our account and continue to send post to his address. Everything takes an age and of course there is nobody to speak too. After our first complaint they sent us £50 and basically told us to get lost. They are rubbish, do yourself a favour and bank somewhere else.
I am a customer of John Lewis financial services, which I have discovered is run by HSBC . John Lewis' are great, HSBC are rubbish. Have been trying for over a month to get some back statements. To begin they seemed professional, my query would be dealt with 'as a matter of urgency', two weeks later got an email I couldn't open, phoned back my query would be dealt with 'as a matter of urgency' eventually got another email I couldn't open. Phoned back was told they would deal with it 'as a matter of urgency' asked for a manager, very reluctant but I insisted,the manager was apologetic and said someone would be in touch. I said not good enough asked for her manager, she refused, apparently it is not their policy. Said someone would be in touch, someone rang but I was out tried 1471 and was told by computer the matter was being dealt with. Pathetic, just pathetic. I gave them one star only because there was no way to give them zero. Thank god my own bank account is not with them.
Have tried calling them so many times over the past few months! Each time I end up waiting for over an hour before I decide I cannot wait any longer. Finally someone picked up today and said he will put me on hold for 2 mins. I waited over 45 mins and then my call was cut. So I had to call again and wait again for another hour before giving up. This is ridiculous. Why have phone customer service if you cannot do your job right. We customers do not sit at home all day with nothing better to do. If we are a customer and have a query we expect someone to help us. I have not had any problem with any other banks’ customer services. HSBC is so rubbish, staff are not professional, the most useless and the worst bank there is!
I have been an HSBC Customer since 1973?! and I have to say the online Banking app has been fantastic - I hardly ever go near my branch and if I do call I have voice recognition and usually get an actual 'person' talking to me within a few minutes. However, I am an Advance customer (advanced in years as well!) but everything is clearly set out on the App and it is easy to set up payments. I think the security is secure and well managed. I have no complaints at all.
I am happy with their services and help but sometimes it can be hard to communicate with them due to heavy accent over the phone.
Hong Kong and shanghai Banking Corp couldn't get any worse. I've had my accounts for 40 years (back when it was Midland Bank.) On line tells you to phone, they tell you to go online. Then told to go to the branch and the branch say to go online. Clueless
Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp couldnt get any worse if the tried. Looking to leave after 40 years. (WAS MIDLAND BANK BACK THEN)
Very poor customer service. Sending letters asking us to contact them on the attached contact details and not supplying any.
I had a charge I didn't recognise! Turned out it was an insurance policy I'd taken out 3 years ago via aviva HSBC but I'd not changed my address with the policy - just with my HSBC card. When I saw the random charge (I'd not noticed in previous years due to undiagnosed ADD) I queried it and the team and Fiona were SO HELPFUL in sorting it out. They helped refund me for the unknown charges even though it was partially my fault for not moving my address on the actual policy (which I had thought would email me). I have so often been screwed by companies that I was astounded at the immediate human understanding I was given and that they refunded me for this misunderstanding. I am very grateful for the customer service and has left me feeling very grateful that I'm with this bank.
If you're looking for the most frustrating banking experience of your life, look no further. HSBC's phone and in-person representatives are polite but offer no substantial help. I have had issues for more than 6 months, called multiple times, and gone in-person to the branch and I have not had my issue resolved. All their processes are seemingly secure but actually could be streamlined to make it easier for the user and just as secure. I would tell anyone who wants a user-friendly experience, timely service, and hassle-free banking to take their service elsewhere.
Worst bank ever, I just tried to update my home address because I already moved to a different place, and their verification process sucks big time. They'd ask a series of questions and if you are unable to match all their security questions (even if you told them that you've already transferred jobs and all) they won't proceed with your request.

The worse thing here I've been a long time client more than 10 years already, and when I asked them to just cancel my account since I find their verification process inefficient, they "gladly" canceled my account without addressing any of my issues.

They can't update my address because of their verification process but was able to cancel my account without this same verification process.

But tbh, I'm really happy that I won't be dealing with them ever again.

Kudos HSBC!
Even after submitting a safeguard form online few times and not having any more error messages on the online banking, I got a letter today on post saying business account will be closed. RUBBISH RUBBISH BANK EVER for business banking.
Poorest service ever! I am long term individual and business customer. Hsbc suddenly closed my business account without reason and notice, then montly later send business funds via a cheque, when i transfer the cheque into my hsbc bank, they closed my personal bank too. Now they frozen my another business bank without reason, i cant access the funds to pay the bills and staff, they dont care my complaint at all.very poor service!!!
The worst bank ever. Customer service is appalling
Instead of dealing with my request, they said go to another bank
Rude and disrespectful
I think they have too many customers so if some leave, they don’t care
No means of contacting them. I have opened an account but not received the card, I've also received a suspicious looking letter that doesn't have all my details. I needed to talk to somebody, anybody as my local HSBC are still operating with limited service. The Live Chat doesn't work, and all the different phone numbers doesn't refer to what it's supposed to do. The means of contact is appalling, and even through the 'lost/stolen card' number I'm directed back to the standard route. God forbid anyone wanting to cancel their card in an emergency - there is no emergency line, just another automated option followed by a long wait.
Disgraceful...
As a business during lockdown like the rest of us we are struggling and just about making ends meet. Therefore like every other business we applied for a bounce back loan which got approved and we signed all relevant docs but no funds till date (2 months in and still waiting).

No updates whatsoever so we rang to enquire and to my despair the worst service ever received. I rang numerous time’s only to be hung up on 3 times after being out on hold, put into the queue twice and I have written a formal complaint directly and via an advisor and shockingly till this day I have only had a letter to say we are looking into this (2 weeks and waiting).

I advised as fair business everyone deserves a 2nd chance and advised HSBC as a last resort I would turn to reviews and social media platforms for the absolutely appalling service we have received
Worse bank ever.. please avoid at least for business.. to be honest we are very screwed because they force us to use their banks by removing cash but yet they have all the power over our money when they we put it in the bank.. they can freeze ur account and that will be it... not explanation, no time frame, nothing... you will just have to wait until they want u to have ur life back.. so unfair... I can’t wait for the day all those corporations will collapse and we will be in control of our lives again.. God please come and help us..
Absolutely appalling service, both from Customer service and through the Mobile banking App. Twice I've had my accounts frozen without notice and twice I've had to spend long periods of time on the phone with customer service in order to rectify and issue which I've been able to solve with other banking providers (Natwest) in a matter of minutes. The Mobile Banking App(s) are needlessly complicated and require highly complicated and confusing entry procedures upon every opening of the app. I will be closing my accounts with HSBC at the nearest possible opportunity and I strongly advise any prospective customers to consider other Banking options before choosing HSBC.
Hsbc is rated 1.41 based on 436 reviews