Hsbc Reviews

of reviewers recommend Hsbc
Telephone, Email, Live Chat

Tell us how Hsbc made you happy
Hsbc 1 star review on 6th April 2018
Disgruntled David
Hsbc 5 star review on 15th February 2017
Mouchel Christian
Hsbc 1 star review on 15th June 2016
More Photos & Videos
There Internet banking site is a JOKE, I have tried logging on five times this morning and every time its failed. They tell you to ring the customer service line, and what do I get some woman in the Philippines ( UK Jobs Gone). I would go to my local branch, but oh I forgot the two closest to me they have closed ( more UK JOBS GONE), and how much do you make a year Trillions! Total Joke
Dormant account & frozen telephone banking nightmare

After being an HSBC customer for 8 years, they froze my account for being inactive/dormant after a few months (I hadn't used it in a while), and also froze my telephone banking for some reason. I don't currently live in the UK, so could not go into a branch in person to "verify my identity".

After calling for 6 months and repeatedly asking for a letter/code to unfreeze my telephone banking (in order to then re-open my dormant account), no letter came. When I called, the customer service agents could not confirm the address they were sending the letter to for "my security", because my telephone banking was frozen. I would later find out that they were sending the letter (WITH SECURE INFORMATION) to the wrong address. But they could not tell me this. If this sounds Kafka-esque and ridiculous and illogical, trust me, it was.

I went into an HSBC US branch and begged them to call the UK bank to get my account unfrozen. After an hour on the phone, we were able to get my telephone banking unfrozen, but not my dormant account reactivated, because they have bizarre address and ID confirmation policies (what they are trying to confirm, I don't understand, because all of the addresses are easily changeable either on their website or through my other banks).

No policies are consistent. None of their staff seem to know or understand their policies for basic things like unfreezing an account. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this bank to anyone. I will likely be closing my account after I get it unfrozen (it still isn't).
Why do customers/potential customers not get as much as an acknowledgement when they contact customer service? The only way to get any response appears to be to contact the CEO and then you may get a phone call from someone who obviously missed the telephone customer training and speaks to you like an idiot. How do these staff get customer service jobs that they are not capable of doing? Or maybe just the HSBC ethos. The company obviously does not read these reviews or if they do the they don't care or they would doing something to improve the service - so many people cannot be wrong!!
Secure key stopped working. Took 2 weeks to send a new one but no code came for it. They claim to have posted one a month after they sent the secure key! It still has not arrived. They could not text a code because I had updated my address. (I haven’t). I am now locked out of my account and I am sick to death of this bank’s incompetence and lack of customer care.
Been with hsbc over 35 years im now thinking of changing banks due to harrasment txts over overdrafts and absolutely no customer support except in uk or a call centre in india
This outfit (from Worthing branch) is persistently chasing us for a payment to a company we purchased goods from. Our payment was made by BACS before Christmas and within the permitted time scale. We keep getting letters demanding monies with the usual threats but have written with full details explaining payment has already been made. They have not replied but have now resorted to telephoning with the same demands. They promised to investigate and ring back today but haven't done so. In 50 years of trading we have never experienced such ineptness. Don't go near them for ANYTHING!
Tried calling their help line. Seems it is in Asia. Complete waste of time. Difficult to understand what they are saying and seem pretty clueless anyway. Will need to visit local bank to try and get some sense it seems.
By far the worse experience I have ever had with a bank.
Credit card account was blocked by HSBC for what they call unknown reasons.
Asked them to unlock the account they said they need to send me a code via the post. Didn't receive it. So called again. They said they would send it again. Didn't receive it. Called again asking for my credit card balance as by this time I had enough. They couldn't give me a balance. Stated they need to send me a code first. Haven't received it. So if cancelled my direct debit. And I'm sure they will contact me saying. Sorry sir your direct debit has been cancelled you need to pay today. Sure I'll say. How much is my balance. I'll then pay it all off. Cancel the card and live happy ever after.
Please stay away from these useless people.
HSBC may be "the world's local bank", but more notably they're the world's worst!

I have never had a worse banking experience than with HSBC, they are unhelpful (especially to existing customers), uncompetitive (both in terms of lending rates and banking services) and moreover they're completely incompetent.

Thankfully it's been years since I held a current account with this shameful institution (never again shall I make that mistake) but last week I foolishly applied for a 0% balance transfer credit card with them. I'll bullet-point the chaos that ensued to save time:

- Nearly a week after my application, without providing even an email confirmation to acknowledge that they had received it, they finally contacted me by email to request further information.

- Despite me passing a credit check with ease, they requested that I upload copies of my last 3 payslips and last 3 month's bank statements. In hindsight this was a ludicrous request considering I had passed the credit check, but I figured I was committed by this point so I obliged and uploaded the documents through their frustrating online service.

- A further 2 working days after this (again, no email confirmation) I finally receive a call from their frankly downright rude and abrasive credit card team. They start by challenging my declared salary, insisting that they've 'done the math' and it adds up to less than I've declared. Now, like any normal human being on this planet, I know what my annual salary is - so I questioned what 'math' they had done to arrive at this bizarre conclusion. It transpires they are calculating my annual basic salary post-tax and post corporate deductibles (company benefits, pension, etc.).

That's not right is it?

Damn straight it's not right, in fact, I've been back to their online application screen since to check and it clearly states that they want your annual income BEFORE tax. In any case, there was no reasoning with this particular moron who was adamant they had read my payslips correctly (they hadn't - my salary before tax is clearly stated and if you multiply it by 12, guess what? it adds up to my declared annual income!). In less polite words than I'm using now I 'requested' that they cancel my application and swipe their 0% card somewhere other than a card reader.

- 20 minutes later I applied online for a similar card with Santander.
- My application was accepted immediately.

The moral of this story is: DON'T EVER BANK WITH HSBC, EVER, FOR ANY REASON!

With love,
Sam
a female named pinky from banglore it seems.i can't believe such stupid dumb females are working with hsbc call centre uk.theres a confusion about my card number and suddenly she is saying about herself like am pinky and from banglore.

y the fK should i know about her birth place?

she should be solving my problem. i hope she comes out of her mental illness soon.

illiterate F
Disgraceful bank even brought forward insurance aspects fee so could charge me before I left, after over 20 years of loyalty. Proves I made the right decision leaving this greedy unhelpful bank
They shut my business account without even giving me a phone call!! waiting to receive a cheque for the money I had in the account ...... 2 weeks on and nothing such poor customer care avoid if I was you!
Joke of a bank!! Recently opened an account and after I eventually set up online banking after they did not send me requested information for over 2 weeks they then suspended my online banking after I had made 1 transfer. They now say I have to go into a branch to get online banking reinstated but all the HSBC branches near me have either been shut down or close at 3.30!
I will go to a branch but only to do one thing and that is close the account and run away as fast as I can. Avoid this bank at ALL costs.
I attempted a transfer of $2300.00 from my Chase checking to my HSBC checking on 6/25. HSBC unilaterally closed my account (in good standing) after 20 years of being a customer because I refused to provide detailed personal financial information. No problem. I didnt like the bank anyway. However the $2300.00 that I attempted to transfer did not go into my account (because they had closed it) nor did the money get sent back to my Chase account. Today is 8/20. They tell me its not their problem. Chase concluded their investigation with proof that it was not their fault. HSBC has been dragging their feet for 2 months. I have wasted countless hours on the phone and in the branches to no avail. NEVER BANK WITH HSBC UNLESS YOU WANT TO PUT YOUR MONEY IN JEOPARDY.
They are the High Street Banking C*nts and may karma deal with their greed and lack of ethics. Evil in its purest form.
I'm only giving HSBC 1 star because the system doesn't allow for me to give them none. My brother and I have LPA for my parents. My 90 year old mother tried to take her own life after finding she can no longer look after my father because her body is closing down. She has now been diagnosed with lung cancer and is in a care home. My 88 year old father is almost blind and left at home. We are doing all we can to sort this out but are really just "firefighting" and the situation has been made worse by HSBC being so incompetent that they can't even sort out internet banking after us spending over 4 hours in their branch with them, doing everything they have asked of us. Their staff are worse than useless, their systems don't work, they have umpteen different departments sending out information within 5-7 working days and then promise that they'll act on it in 10 working days from when they receive it back. Don't put yourselves out HSBC. In the meantime how do we pay for anything? Their branches don't have telephones; not that their customers can call anyway. If you phone them you have to put shedloads of numbers into the system and when you get one wrong, (not because it was incorrect, but because they hadn't the correct number on record) the system locks you out, freezes your cards and you still haven't managed to talk to anybody. I did eventually obtain a number for the branch from a lady in India. It was the wrong number but BT told me what it had changed to and I got through to the branch. Only thing was that it wasn't the correct branch and that's when I found out their Arnold branch doesn't have a phone. They are so bad it is beyond belief. I can see from the ratings they have received that I am not alone in this sort of experience. HSBC you are pathetic.
High Street Banking Cun*s.

I wonder how many suicides they are directly responsible for.
I wish I can give them a 0 start, but unfortunately 1 is the minimum. Worse bank in the uk. I would like to know if they receive a proper training as every branch has the same unprofessional staff 👎🏻
HSBC is an immoral, vile and satanic organisation, with no shame in its double standards (google "HSBC fines").

My experience is that they irresponsibly kept increasing my credit card limit (without me asking) and allowing me to build up debts - both on that and with overdraft and loans. I irresponsibly kept spending the money. When I realised I was in trouble and needed to do something about it, they hit me with a 16% consolidation loan despite advertising loan rates as low as 3.3% at the time. I have no CCJs or bad credit. The terms of the loan have just about finished me off.

They are nothing more than loan sharks with zero moral fibre. They are the "High Street Banking C***s".
Awful bank with own rules and regulations!!!!
I have been HSBC customer for over 20 years. When I stoped using regularly an account they threatened me to close it. I have started to use again. Last year HSBC agreed on an informal overdraft, but while I was abroad with Charity work they closed my account and put an default. Apparently, they sent me several letters, which I could not read due to not being in UK. I regret I ever opened an account with them. I am very happy with my Barclays account.
Hsbc is rated 1.41 based on 404 reviews