Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
It was truly exceptional. They came in with the best price (we received 5 other offers), their assessment was more than fair and doing everything online was awesome! I was nervous after reading the other reviews but we did not experience any of what we read. They actually ended up giving us more (net) after coming and seeing the house than they had in the first online offer. It was super easy to get in touch with our experience manager and she did a great job of keeping us up to date with statuses. This was so much easier than using a realtor and I think we got more money for they house than we would have if we went the more traditional route. I can't speak for other areas of the country but our experience in the Phoenix area exceeded our expectations.
(Phoenix) - Posted 3 months ago
We love hearing stories like these! Thanks for taking the time to share, Dawn.
Been trying to close with open door this is the worst experience ever.
I am trying to close with open door they are making the first time buying a home the worst experience ever. I would not recomend them to no one
Hi Wendy, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
We sold to open door and have nothing but great things to say! Our new house was being rented back by our sellers (they were building) and the closing date on our property kept getting pushed back. Open door was super easy to work with and didn't have any issues with us moving our closing date with them (3 times!). The repairs that we were charged were minimum and fair. For us the peace of mind of knowing our house was sold and not having to wait and carry two mortgages was worth the extra expenses in fees.
We love hearing stories like these! Thanks for taking the time to share, Kaylin.
I am currently trying to close on a home with Opendoor. They have been more then un-helpful. First Opendoor was asked to do re-insulate the floors in the crawl space. They reported them as completed but I went into that crawl space and it was not. Open-door was to do a Termite inspection and treatment. The wrong report turns up to my lender and my lender requested repairs for approval of the loan. The rep for Open door for almost two weeks kept addressing the repairs as and an item that didn't need to be addressed because the wrong report by the termite inspection was turned in. Finally, after two weeks of back and forth in emails, the Rep of Opendoor turn in another report stating that no repairs were needed. Please keep in mind I had to move into a hotel with my daughter because I was under the impression that open door had merely made a mistake was now going to fix the issue. My lender looked at the letter and asked open door to please provide a 3rd party contractor to check for structural damage. They asked this because for two weeks open door did nothing to clear up their mistake and give my lender confidence that there are no issues with the inspection. Open door said they will not pay for that and so I said I would be glad to do so. Open door agreed to that last Friday. ( I am now moving on to week three of my hotel stay and I am bleeding money, I have paid for an apartment but it is a hotel.) It is now Wednesday and open door is now telling me it may be until Friday before I will get a report back about this house! I could have hired someone directly and had that report in a day but open door is taking it by the week. Days go by with no timeline and no action being taken to help me close on this house. I have the impression that they do not want to close on this house. I have held up my end of this contract but open door is not. I hope not to have to take legal action. I have paid earnest money and met the agreement of the contract in a more than a reasonable time. I fail to see why it takes days, to get someone to complete an action such as a phone call and work order to complete the transaction of buying selling of this house. If actions are not completed soon I will be forced into another contract with an apartment and it will be close to another year before I will be able to consider moving into a house. We have an agreement and open door is doing everything but completing this. This is my first time buying a home but I am very aware that my time and money are being wasted. The money I am spending on this hotel could go into this house but the open door is waiting almost a week before doing anything about this issue.
I left an earlier review saved only have two stars because of some sq footage issues. Open Door finally fixed it, so I changed my rating to 4 stars.
Thank you for sharing your experience Kris and happy to hear that!
On 2/12/2020 Open Door offered us $344,700. Their Customer support Representative, Lori Fitzgerald, called to review the contract. We verbally accepted and Lori informed us that we had until 2/16/2020 to sign the contract and send it back to them. Today, 2/14/2020, we had a window of time to sit down and complete the contract. When we opened the attachment, the offer had changed. Now 2 days later, without so much as inspecting the house, Open Door has dropped the offer to $319,000, using comparables from a neighborhood that no realtor who knows our area would use as comparables for the neighborhood where our home is located. Getting involved with a company that is not honest on the front end is a bad idea. I expect to be jerked around every step of the way when dealing with this kind of dishonesty. Thank you Open Door for highlighting the fact that local realtors earn every dime and save most homeowners money in the long run. I will be listing with a responsible, knowledgeable, trustworthy Northlake realtor who knows the value of our neighborhood.
Jennifer, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
The whole process was super simple and stress-free! I would recommend Opendoor to anyone looking to sell their house!
(Atlanta) - Posted 3 months ago
Heidi, Thank you for sharing your story - we're happy to hear our experience has worked out well for you!
This was a great experience. This is my first home purchase and I chose not to use a real estate agent. The option of using a home advisor with Opendoor makes it easy to do. My advisor Landon was very helpful with answering questions and was pretty accessible. When he wasn’t available I got help with his peer Mimi; which meant everything happened timely. I would totally recommend using Opendoor’s home advisors :)
Hi, great to hear you've had a good experience with us! We appreciate you choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
Touring homes was not possible, you cannot truly instantly tour/unlock a home. They basically get your information and then their agents bombard you with properties and mortgage sales pitches.
The beginning of February our family purchased a home from Opendoor. It’s been about a week since we moved in. Buyer beware, bad lipstick on a pig. Here is a list. I have pics and some video. So so sad. 1) The AC and Heater is broke 2) both tubs were clogged and would not drain, hair and looked like paint down the drain from the painters 3) the spout diverters are broke so water halfway came out of shower heads and the shower heads sprayed water everywhere 4) the tubs are damaged with tiny chipped holes in the plastic. I had to get silicone to fill the holes in. 5) the fan in one of the bathroom makes a very loud high pitched sound 6) in one of the bathrooms the hot water on the sink doesn’t come out at all and my son said the shower hot water doesn’t work well 7) the water line that goes to the refrigerator was replaced and I could see the patchwork around was cracked so I got a moister meter to test the wall “yep”. Red light high moisture. I opened the wall (black mold and wet). So now I have to continue to tear the wall out til the wet and black mold ends then repair, my guess, the contractor saw this. “How could they not”. And just changed out the part and closed the hole. I have pictures of all of this. The black mold is also on the drywall that goes to my bedroom it’s on the opposite side. So dangerous. BLACK MOLD can make you VERY SICK and KILL YOU “Shame on you Opendoor”😡 if the water and black mold continues behind the cabinet I’ll have to pull the cabinets out. It does go into the food pantry so I’ll be tearing that out. 8) one of the fire alarms is painted over 9) all of the coaxial wall plates were painted over so I had to go buy all new ones 10) a lot of the electric face plates were painted over. 11) weeds in the front yard and back yard 12) the back yard was full of rusty nails trash just low end. I have pics. My dogs could have stepped on them. Tacky tacky tacky. 13) The dishwasher is new I think. But they installed it to where you can’t close the door for it to work. And damaged the counter top installing it. 14) the bathroom vanities are a concern and more so “what’s behind them. “ They replaced the shelf in one and my moister meter detects moister. I’ll have to pull those out and see what’s behind them. This week I will go into the attic. Who knows what I will find😬. This is all I found so far, in a week. And trying to move in and unpack at the same time. This is so sad. Opendoor markets themselves as a great company to do business with. Not my experience. They just lost a future customer and every one that ask my opinion I will advise them to stay clear don’t do business with them. This is basic “LACK OF INTEGRITY “ It’s basic manners not to sell a house in this condition. Whoever signed off on this house to be put on the market should be fired.
Opendoor doesn’t even deserve 1 star.
This review is from myself, my son and the rest of my family
SHAME ON YOU Opendoor😡.
I would like to post some pictures and videos. I don’t think this sight will let me. Maby I’ll see if yelp will or some other sights will let me post pictures and videos.
Thanks for letting us know about this Sherri. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
Opendoor offers convenience to seller and buyer indeed. But the houses sold by opendoor look shabby and inferior but sort of overpriced. Opendoor maybe fixes the bought homes a bit but the works like painting/trimming/flooring seems from inexperienced handyman/contractor? Why? To contain cost? But if opendoor select to pay to fix things why not make it look good to attract buyer? The poor quality of such fixes make buyer more hesitant to proceed.

Also I use opendoor buyer agent and once assigned an agent, there seems no way to switch without the current agent knows. This is not good for buyer not satisfied with the current agent. Such buyer may look for other realty companies instead of opendoor for future transactions. Opendoor should make a better system in this case.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
I wanted to like this company, and I did until I see that they are listing my house square footage as 1998.

I quoted them 1998, but then their appraiser said it was 1917 so they docked my payout by $4000 to make up for the difference in square footage.

When brought to their attention, they said they contact their agents to correct it to 1917. It's been two weeks and it's not been corrected.

I should be reimbursed for the difference or they need to correct the mistake because now my old home is being sold to someone else with the wrong sq footage, which means it's either not fair to me or it's not fair to the new buyer.

I waited before posting this so the company could make good, but as nothing has changed in two weeks, I wanted others to be aware.
KB, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
First off when I originally asked for the offer they said sorry you are in a flood zone. No, no I am not anywhere near a flood zone. Oh sorry. So my builder contacted them and OpenDoor gave a fair offer for my house. They went through all the processes. All was well until they call me after 2 months and say that the higher ups in the company have said that they did not feel they could honor the offer they have given me because there were not enough comps in my neighborhood. I have only 12 houses in my neighborhood and no one has put the house on the market in 2 years! Nothing happened and nothing changed. I feel that this is an awful way to do business. They should have honored the original offer. A good honest company would honor or at least negotiate. I now instead have to list and deal with trying to show my house with my Dad with dementia and a dog in the house. I will sell the house and make out better but it is just a lot more work I was willing to sacrifice for a little less money
Brandi, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
I've bought/sold approximately 10 homes and this was by far the easiest, least stressful experience of all! I would recommend Open Door for their fair price and professionalism.
(Charlotte) - Posted 3 months ago
Great to hear about your experience Pamela. We love hearing stories like yours!
The selling process was very easy and they were great about working with me when I had a tenant who refused to vacate the premises. The price they offered was fair and I was ok with getting a little less than I might have with a traditional sale in exchange for the ease of the process. The repairs they quoted were fair. Again I probably could have done the repairs slightly cheaper but the convenience of not having to deal with any of that, or outlay the initial money was a fair trade. They kept me informed of the steps in the process and were always responsive if I had any questions. The title company they used was great and were very accommodating with my schedule and me being about 2,000 miles away.
(Jacksonville) - Posted 3 months ago
Hi Rob, great to hear you've had a good experience with us! We appreciate you choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
I contacted opendoor to have them make an offer on my home. I also contacted several others. I offered for everyone to come view my house telling them upfront it needed some repairs. Before opendoor would even come look at my house they wanted me to sign a contract and then they would judge how much repair was needed and deduct it from their offer, while under contract. No thanks! Plenty of others are willing to work with me.
Adam, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
The process was easy and quick. Very good customer service, always someone will to help explain or guide through the process. I was able to rent back a few days on the property I sold which allowed me a seem less transition into my new home. The over cost may seem a bit costly. But when you factor in the showing of your home. To me being a Dog lover and only. This was a no brainer!
Thrilled to hear that Domenico. Thanks for the positive review! We wish you all the best in this next chapter!
We got an offer on our house from OpenDoor, and the offer was insultingly low. It was $50k-$60k less than what the comps in our neighborhood were selling for. And they claim to offer fair market value.
Craig, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
As a buyers agent, I have had the extreme DISPLEASURE of working with opendoor. So far, still under contract, it has been 10 full days of trying (weekends included) to speak to a human being who is on the listing end of this transaction. Opendoor is notorious for offering all cash offers to buy your house - unfortunately that comes at the price of you giving up most of your equity so they can capitalize on it. Opendoor leverages your hardship and exploits it so they can capitalize on it. My suggestion is that you find a Realtor who wants to help you and has your best interest at heart. Opendoor cares nothing about the people they continuously take advantage of. Oh... If you are under contract with opendoor..... Do not count on getting in touch with anyone during the sales process. They will not respond to any attempt at talking with them.
Hi Joe, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
Opendoor is rated 4.03 based on 700 reviews