Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
They don't honor their offers. Very unprofessional, using a virus as a way to escape an offer they made before implied closures. Ethics out the door with this company! Integrity is completely lost with this company as well.
We completely understand your frustration at this time and hope you understand closing offers due to COVID-19 was not an easy one to make. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you, please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
I am trying to close with open door they are making the first time buying a home the worst experience ever. I would not recomend them to no one
Hi Wendy, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
First off when I originally asked for the offer they said sorry you are in a flood zone. No, no I am not anywhere near a flood zone. Oh sorry. So my builder contacted them and OpenDoor gave a fair offer for my house. They went through all the processes. All was well until they call me after 2 months and say that the higher ups in the company have said that they did not feel they could honor the offer they have given me because there were not enough comps in my neighborhood. I have only 12 houses in my neighborhood and no one has put the house on the market in 2 years! Nothing happened and nothing changed. I feel that this is an awful way to do business. They should have honored the original offer. A good honest company would honor or at least negotiate. I now instead have to list and deal with trying to show my house with my Dad with dementia and a dog in the house. I will sell the house and make out better but it is just a lot more work I was willing to sacrifice for a little less money
Brandi, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
The process is pretty simple and straightforward if you sell your home to opendoor. The costs are high but you are paying for convenience. The numbers made sense for us so we went with their offer. With all that being said, The customer service was the worst and greatly impacted the overall experience . Katie M. In the San Antonio market did not seem to have a handle on anything in our file from repeatedly asking for forms that already been submitted, to a general lack of knowledge or insight on how to a real estate transaction works. I can honestly say I worry for other consumers/clients who have to deal with her.
The whole experience could not have been better. From my initial call to inquire about the process and get an offer to the closing and recieving the funds the entire process exceeded all expectations by leaps and bounds.

First, the staff were all responsive, professional and a pleasure to work with.

The offer was not only fair but was higher than the recent comps in the area. The fees were less than a traditional realtor which meant more money in my pocket.

I was able to pick the closing date and that process to was simple and quick. The digital closing and application worked flawlessly and the funds were transferred to my account as promised.

Without a doubt I would whole heartily recommend them to my friends and family. Opendoor is bringing real estate into the 21st century.
(Sacramento) - Posted 4 months ago
Larry, great to hear you've had a positive experience with Opendoor! Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
We are buyer submitting offer since Dec 23 till Jan 5 before we had it executed. The seller side only wanted us to do this and that and they do not even put their own contact info on the contract but required us to do. We asked for repairs since Jan 8 but now Jan 14 still have no answer. The worst buying experience.
Hi Medina, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
We were excited but nervous reading reviews . We made a good offer , pre approved , conventional financing and $ down on a house close to ours which we sold to my son . We are downsizing as kids are grown but there were no offers in 2 months and as soon as we bid they sent the email to people as discussed . The next morning they said we have offers so biggest and best by 2pm today . We gave our best fair offer but our realtor has received email saying their reviewing offers . Seems fishy the timing but I'll guess we'll see . Not expecting much honestly from what we've seen so far .
David, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
I recently bought a home from open door, it was the worst experience I ever had,they refused to do some repairs in the home nothing major so they offered to credit me for the repairs but never did,not only that escrow took there sweet time recording our deed,2 weeks after the house hadfunded.WHAT A JOKE!! I will NEVER refer them to anyone.
We're sorry to hear this, Lisa. We work towards making the Opendoor experience a good one, and whenever this is not the case, we want to make it right. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can help you with this matter? Thanks!
They offer rip-off price, and the agent was very rude. The worst is that they sold/distribute my contact info to other realtors. Stay away.
Robin, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
As a buyer I am going through the negatives, written here by other reviewers, of opendoor not willing to negotiate even with evidence of critical repairs from home inspection. I am amazed how unwilling these so called new models of buying/selling are to negotiate when negotiations are a given for real estate transactions (i am not buying milk from Walmart here)

I will make sure to never recommend Opendoor to anyone ever, friends or family or even strangers.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and will provide this feedback to our internal teams. Please reach out to community@opendoor.com if you have any further questions or concerns.
Like dealing with robots. They have no idea what they’re doing- basically just like dealing with dumb customer service people. They price too high and take advantage of both buyers and sellers. Cheaper to let a real estate agent handle too.
Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like to please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
Where to start? Do not buy from this company they screwed us over all the way til the closing day! Told us if we paid full asking price we would get a stainless steel package that meant the cheapest model stove in black w stainless trim and the cheapest dishwasher on a 264,000$ home was promised a lot and given nothing! They stopped caring for the property as soon as they excepted my bid even tho I was not able take over possession for 30 days the hot water heater was broke pool had major problems fans and lights ddnt work and I was expected to pay the home warranty for repairs. Crappy co crappy services!
Thanks for letting us know about this Shera. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
I thought I would purchase my very first home with Opendoor. I am so very disappointed. I was under contract. It took a while for a response but it was understandable in the beginning. The house needed a few major repairs but Opendoor refused to fix them. It was aweful because the issues were major safety concerns. My last day of the due diligence period, they just didn't respond so I had to cancel to prevent losing my earnest money. So disappointing!
I was asked to write a review but We have not yet completed our Buy/Sell experience. So far so good with a few exceptions. I'm in the process of buying and selling with Opendoor. I had originally started a few months back. The agent I was assigned Marlon never submitted my offer on a home that We fell in love with, because he didn't think We could compete with a Cash offer. Even though our offer was over the asking price. It jaded our experience and We stopped looking. But our tour guide Stephen Clark is truly the only reason We tried again. I love the ability to tour the houses with such great flexibility and on your own time. We have toured over 15 homes with Stephen Clark. He has made this experience amazing. He is very responsive and has been extremely helpful. He recommended another agent Jimmy Garcia and it has been an awesome experience with Jimmy and Stephen. They are both very knowledgeable and supportive. Because of my first experience. Now selling has been another experience. I want to sell because of the trade in offer of 2%. I have requested an offer to sell my house to Opendoor twice. Both coming in much lower then what I expected. I requested a 2nd review, both times they have lowered their initial offer each time. I even sent them an appraisal that was done on my home in October for review and they still lowered the offer. My home inspection was scheduled very quickly, and I got to choose my closing date. Which should align with the purchase of my the new house. I'm just hoping when they come on Tuesday they don't feel like there are extensive repairs needed. My husband keeps our home in great condition and I feel like the offer on the house is low as is. I will hopefully be adding a great review overall with Opendoor for sale of my home too.
That's amazing to hear! We strive to provide a great customer experience with Opendoor and your feedback is incredibly valuable to us. Thanks for taking the time to share this, Francisca.
I just purchased a home in Glendale, AZ. I would like to start off by saying how unhappy I am about not being about to inter the my house after purchased and paperwork was signed. My front door came with a keypad but I guess batteries where low because no matter what I did the door didn’t open. I tired to contact Opendoor customer service and all they could say was it’s no longer our property. I had to take the lock off the back door to inter the home to finally get my keys from kitchen counter. So after all that I have no RV gate keys storage room and mailbox keys. After paying for rekeying items (Opendoor) refuses to reimburse for anything. It’s like ones paperwork is signed you are on your own. My first experience and not a good one.
We are sorry your experience was less than stellar Vanessa. We want to give the best possible experience to everyone and are sorry we fell short here. Please reach out to community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and include the property address so we can quickly investigate.
You will waste time with them dangling an offer. They will drill you back an forth an still deny their offer. They want their items ASAP before 8pm an will have you waiting three of four days with negotiation. It’s a headache an mind boggling. The people negotiating aren’t realtors they’re regular 9-5 agents!
We strive to give everyone a great experience, and we are sorry you did not receive one. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
Opendoor agreed to a repair and it took them nearly a month to complete it and my inspector still could not clear the property for the close. Closing was pushed back four times until I finally gave up on the home.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
They came in on the preliminary visit and tore the house apart. They did not realize that I have been a builder for over 30 years. Their List of items that needed to be "repaired" was a joke. Remove cabinets and a AC unit from a garage in VEGAS!!!!! They tried to find a way to knock the price offer down on the basis of savings us on a realtor fee. Luckily we sold the house in 1 day for over $45k they what Open Door said it was worth. They are a rip off. The house at the end of our street that they had for sale was on the market for 2 months after we sold ours.
Jim, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
These people are crooks. They come in your house break your heating system, and create more problems than before they ever came. They need an inspector supervising them if you let them in your house.
We apologize for the less than satisfactory experience with us. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
While Ben, my OpenDoor rep, was fantastic the rest of the process ended up being a nightmare due to lack of research on Opendoors part. On my first request for an offer, they did not look at the location at all and needed to drop the offer by 23k. Because the offer was so good, that ended up being a hiccup that we could work around.
Unfortunately the home I was buying fell through, but when I found another I requested another offer with OpenDoor a few months later. After requesting verification that the location was taken into account with the offer, I signed a second contract to sell with OpenDoor and put on offer on a home contingent with that sale.
Unfortunately, there was a massive oversight that was somehow missed and OpenDoor was actually not accepting home sales in my area any longer, but this was only figured out three weeks later, after I had already spent money on appraisals and inspections for a home I am no longer able to buy due to no longer meeting the contingencies.

Overall, both experiences were stressful and very unorganized, and there should have been some sort of oversight not allowing the company to make offers on homes they are unable to support.
While it is good that some of my costs are being recouped with the escrow from Opendoors cancelation, there is no way to recover everything or the time and energy spent going through a process that they knew from the beginning would not be successful.
Alicia, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
Opendoor is rated 4.04 based on 695 reviews