Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
Opendoor team is super responsive. They paired me with a great realtor. Made the process more simplified that what I was expecting. I would recommend buying a house through them.
That’s fantastic to hear David, thanks for sharing your experience with us. 💙
Amazing customer service, hassle free, everything went very smoothly
(Houston) - Posted 1 month ago
Thrilled to hear that Kristin. Thanks for the positive review! We wish you all the best in this next chapter!
Liars, cheaters, dishonest. Signed contract with no disputes. Escrow and title paperwork completed. Then they send out blanket general email they are canceling offers. This was not an offer!!!It was signed accepted contract. Spend one week calling and emailing with zero response. Then after speaking they send cancel letter and decide they can cancel and escrow goes back to buyer. WTF? Why have contracts if you can cancel with no agreements. Here is the thing- Lennar and Opendoor are owned by same corporation. The escrow I put with Lennar will not allow me to cancel without lost of my deposit escrow. Opendoor is using world epidemic to hide behind. Said they do not want to put their agents at risk which I would understand. The hypocrisy comes into play is that they are still selling houses using same agents. Total liars!!! Notified BBB and Florida Attorney General for breaking contract and not forfeiting escrow.
We completely understand your frustration at this time. Please send us an email at community@opendoor.com with your property address so our team can ensure your situation is getting the appropriate attention. Thank you.
Yvette Johnson is a highly professional, highly competent, listing agent. She was kind and patient with my client's lender issues and worked with us until resolution. Has been a true pleasure working with her and I highly recommend her as a top agent with Open Door!

Ruth Wood, HomeRiver Group Tampa, Realtor
Ruth, Thanks for the positive feedback and we appreciate you spreading the word about Opendoor!
I could not believe how easy it was to sell through Opendoor. We had an issue with a lien showing on our records. They were patient and kind throughout the whole process.
The offer was generous, especially since my husband had not been able to make updates and our house was not immaculate. We were happy with the results.
(Charlotte) - Posted 2 months ago
So glad to hear this Barbara. Thanks for letting us know! We're so glad you were able to benefit from the ease and certainty the Opendoor experience provides!
Open door employees are rude and treated me horribly. Wouldn’t extend my closings 5 days. I asked for the extension on the day they accepted my full price offer. They tried to cash the check three times now. Cheaters and scammers. DO NOT WORK WITH THEM.
We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
do not ever try to do business with this company. they operate their business with a tactic called "bait and switch." they initially make a fake offer that they're not willing to stand behind. then, when it's time for them to live up to the obligations they've made, they randomly cancel their offer. they will then call the customer back telling them they will get them in touch with another company that will pay as much as $100k less than their initial fake offer. this is a dishonest business practice that car dealerships got in trouble for operating a number of years ago. opendoor has adopted this unethical business practice as one of their core company principles. do not try to sell your house or buy one through this completely dishonest company.
Trevor Hendricks #1 in my book from sales he goes above and beyond thanks
Thrilled to hear that Russell. Thanks for the positive review! We wish you all the best in this next chapter!
Cancelled the day before home assessment due to covid 19 via a generic email leaving is no other resources after hubby took a job transfer and is already working 3 hours away. Thanks for nothing.
We completely understand your frustration and concern at this time. Due to this unprecedented health emergency, we are no longer able to conduct assessments for the safety and health of both our employees and our customers. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you to support you and your family at this time. Please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
Everything went very smooth, closed on Closing date selected, like they said no problems at all, funds wired as expected 5 star co.
(Jacksonville) - Posted 2 months ago
That's amazing to hear! We strive to provide a great customer experience with Opendoor and your feedback is incredibly valuable to us. Thanks for taking the time to share this, Jovon.
I initially hoped to use Opendoor because a couple friends had begun the process of selling their home to Opendoor and it seemed to be pretty smooth. I received a letter in the mail from Opendoor outlining an offer range (not a formal offer at this time, but a good indicator of what I might expect) so I decided to call as well. I spent thirty minutes on the phone and was reassured that someone was working on my offer at this time. I received a communication the next day saying an offer couldn't be made at this time. All this would only amount to some slight irritation - with everything going on with Coronavirus and the uncertainty regarding where the housing market is going I can completely understand hesitancy when buying homes. However, the situation was a lot more serious for the other friends who were using Opendoor. Opendoor pulled out on them in the middle of last week and left them in a situation where they are closing on a new home but will now no longer have any money on the sale of their old home. They must begin the process of selling through a realtor all over and with current uncertainty it is highly unlikely they will sell in time to meet their closing date on their new home. Do business with Opendoor only if you like rolling the dice; they clearly have no problem bailing at the final hour.
We completely understand your frustration at this time and we're mindful of the effect it is having on the communities we serve, our employees and our mission as a business. We are taking these actions to prioritize the safety of our customers, employees, and partners. Please have your friend send us an email at community@opendoor.com with their property address so our team can ensure your situation is getting the appropriate attention. Thank you.
CONSUMERS BEWARE! THIS IS THE MOST DISHONEST UNETHICAL COMPANY AROUND! DO NOT CONTACT THIS ORGANIZATION FOR ANY REASON! THEY WILL ABOUT THEIR INTENT AND ABILITY TO PURCHASE YOUR HOUSE! I HAD A SIGNED AGREEMENT TO THEM TO PURCHASE OUR HOUSE, THEN THEY SEND A GENERIC FORM EMAIL SAYING THEY'VE DECIDED TO ABANDONED THEIR SIGNED AGREEMENT! THEY MADE THIS DECISION AFTER ASSESSING MY HOUSE AND THEN DECIDING TO MOVE FORWARD WITH THEIR OFFER! DISHONESTY DEFINES THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES AND THEIR UNETHICAL DECISIONS WILL END THEIR SHORT TIME AS A CROOKED COMPANY! ANYBODY THAT HAS A PENDING AGREEMENT WITH OPENDOOR SHOULD CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY! I FEEL BAD FOR THE EMPLOYEES OF THIS COMPANY WHO ARE SURE TO BE UNEMPLOYED SHORTLY BECAUSE OF THE WAY MANAGEMENT HAS DECIDED TO FLEECE THEIR CUSTOMERS!
DO NOT work with Opendoor. We are days away from closing with Opendoor and on our new build. Received a generic email at midnight they are canceling our contract citing it is the right thing to do due to Covid-19. We have been under contract since January and are devastated. No idea what to do.
They made me a single mother of five children believe they were going to buy my home. I had to move a whole house three bedroom two bathroom two car garage and a storage shed to storage so we can close on this contract. They canceled the day of closing.
We understand your frustration with our decision to not move forward with the purchase of your home during this unprecedented time. We want to further communicate that this decision was not an easy one or one made to negatively impact our customers intentionally.

Again we hope you understand that we're prioritizing the need to keep our employees, customers, and partners safe during this time. Once we have a better understanding about market conditions, we will reach out to you in the hopes that we can earn back your trust.
I chose Opendoor over other ibuyers because I believed it was a more reliable and reputable company. Opendoor canceled our agreed contract last minute before the inspection due to market concerns with no options to move forward after we had signed a new lease with an apartment and after our other offers from ibuyers had expired. We received no information when it was canceled, which further delayed our ability to take other actions. We were devastated and we would advise everyone to stay away from Opendoor based on our experience.
Brendan, We completely understand your frustration and concern at this time. Due to this unprecedented health emergency, we are no longer conducting assessments for the safety and health of both our employees and our customers. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you to support you and your family at this time. Please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
Same with us with pulling out of the deal. Generic email after everything going through including the assessment with no changes or repair requests after assessment But because it's still within 10 days after assessment even though nothing was found needing repair they pulled out and have a BS excuse about coronavirus. Sounds to me like they don't want to sit on inventory. When directly asked if the tables were turned and I was purchasing a home from open door and chose to back out due to a "virus" would they allow us to do that? He had no response. This is the most unethical and unprofessional company. They also don't let you keep the earnest money. They said if we wanted to we could readdress for a July close but they would take off 5% from offered and agreed upon amount
Unethical business practices. Simply walking away from a signed contract hiding behind a clause of being within 10 days of the assessment with confirmation of no repairs needed because they obviously don't have the capital on hand to fulfill a contract and cowardly hide behind a virus outbreak as an excuse.
DON'T TRUST THEM, VERY UNETHICAL AND OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CAPITAL OR ASSETS TO HONOR CONTRACTS.
Wow!!! I am really upset! Open door just canceled their offer to purchase our home 10 days after we signed a contract with them. Their reasoning was COVID-19. No other reason. Now we have to go back to the drawing board without any recourse!

Oh and how did they inform me of this decision? By generic email without any real documents or contract cancelation paperwork. I had to call to make sure what I was reading was true.

Thanks for nothing OpenDoor. Do not use this service as they can obviously jerk you around without any penalty!
They don't honor their offers. Very unprofessional, using a virus as a way to escape an offer they made before implied closures. Ethics out the door with this company! Integrity is completely lost with this company as well.
We completely understand your frustration at this time and hope you understand closing offers due to COVID-19 was not an easy one to make. But we do have alternative listing options that we are happy to discuss with you, please email community@opendoor.com if you are interested.
This Company has an app that ANYONE can get to open a vacant house.. including the 100+ teenagers that showed up in my small gated community to destroy the place and smoke weed all in the house... you need better verification than this.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and will utilize your feedback to further evaluate and develop.
Opendoor has a home for sale next to mine. Its workers stole some property from my yard and they refuse to reimburse me.
Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
Opendoor is rated 4.04 based on 696 reviews