Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Under an hour
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
My husband and I viewed an Opendoor property, which we liked, and even after reading some bad reviews about the company we made an offer. It was countered in an almost bullying manner. That should have been the first warning sign for us, but we pushed on. After some intervention via e-mail from an Opendoor executive, our offer was finally accepted. The inspection of the property revealed some necessary repairs, as well as a pest infestation in the attic. Opendoor responded to our request for pest control in the attic with, " this is an upgrade, and they do not do upgrades"! We were astounded! They said their inspection did not reveal any problems so therefore they will not take care of it, as it does not affect the "liveability" of the house! Actually it does. Dead pest carcasses need to be removed as this will attract further pests and could spread diseases! Other repairs were also turned down. They are basically selling an "as is" property with no urge to send in contractors to get repairs done in time for closing. We are sorry that we wasted our time and money on trying to purchase a property from Opendoor.... Never again!!
Lorraine, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
How did you work with Opendoor? I sold my home to Opendoor
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Salt Lake City
Opendoor took the stress out of selling our home. We needed to move quickly and not only did Opendoor make that possible, but it was such an easy process. I didn’t think you could ever describe selling a home as easy, but they proved me wrong!! The advisor we worked with was extremely responsive anytime questions came up which confirmed that we were in good hands.
(Salt_lake_city) - Posted 3 weeks ago
Thrilled to hear that Stephanie. Thanks for the positive review! We wish you all the best in this next chapter!
The only reason there is one star is because there is no option for zero. Opendoor is the worst. This company basically paints the walls and sweep the floor and that is IT! I finally closed on my first home after going back and fourth with them on repairs. There is no one local from the company to actually monitors the "repairs" going on. There were empty bottles of vodka and beer cans left inside and out by the contractors, broken windows from dropped tools and sheetrock mud slung everywhere but when you are drunk on the job I see why these things happen. Every time a repair was completed I would follow up and check it out and every time it was not complete, halfway done or not even touched. I canceled my first contract do to lack of repairs and I should have kept on walking away. Now, I have been in the home for one month and am facing thousand of dollars worth of repairs and not just cosmetic repairs which I was expecting. I would never buy an Opendoor home again.
Kayla, We're sorry for any frustration caused and want to make it better. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this. Thanks for your patience!
So far this has been the smoothest and clearest home buying and selling process. We are currently under contract to sell our home to open door and to buy our new home with them. The staff have been very kind and helpful and the ease of viewing homes has made our search relatively stress-free. The in-home assessment of our home was unobtrusive and the individual who conducted the assessment was kind and easy to work with. The only hiccup so far has been that Open Door's staff are all in a different time zone from us so last-minute questions do not often get a response until around noon for us. Nevertheless, Open Door representatives have been easily accessible and have provided clear information and assistance throughout our buying/selling process. And when our representatives for various aspects of the process were out of the office, another member of the Open Door team took over and responded on their behalf. So there has been no time in this whole process in which we were left waiting an unreasonable amount of time for a question or concern to be answered. Additionally, the third-party companies they work with for legal/financial arrangements have been of similar quality. We are still in the due-diligence period so there are plenty of opportunities for things to go sideways but, so far, this has been an incredibly simple and relatively stress-free way to buy and sell a home.
So glad to hear this Andrew. Thanks for sharing, We're so glad you were able to benefit from the ease and certainty the Opendoor experience provides!
Bought a house from open door purchased on December 14th moved in on December 27 on December 31 the sewer backed up sewer water all over the 2 bathrooms. There was roots from a tree out front we had to cut the tree down remove the stump and new sewer line. So the cost is over $11,000.00. We are not wealthy people yes you do have the buy back but lot of factors that won't work for us. We have spoken to people in your company there so sorry but nothing they can do. This was a VA loan and I guarantee that I will recommend anyone not to deal with Open Door.
Thanks for letting us know about this Paul. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can look into this matter!
The offer came quickly, and what little contact I've had with representatives of Opendoor has been polite and professional. No complaint with that. I got a (very) low-ball offer, and one Opendoor told me they couldn't increase. Their business model is not at all what I thought. I thought it was "we'll buy your house for cash, no muss, no fuss," but it's "we'll buy your house for cash, charge you for everything we fix or update, then charge you real estate fees as well" - not sure how this is appreciably different from a normal real estate transaction, other than there is no competition. The comps Opendoor provided for my house on 1/16/2020 were all from 2018, with the most recent being in September 2018. Denver has a very competitive real estate market, very low inventory, and I'm selling in a very desirable neighbourhood. In early 2018, my house appraised for $50k more than Opendoor offered me (keeping in mind their offer price will only go down for repairs or upgrades they make), and has only increased in value since. Opendoor can work their business model any way they want. If they make money that way, power to them. But I think people should be aware, and should be very thorough in their research before accepting any Opendoor offer. Don't accept comps that are a year-and-a-half old, for instance.
Marin, We value your feedback and take it seriously. We want to look into this! Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
The process is pretty simple and straightforward if you sell your home to opendoor. The costs are high but you are paying for convenience. The numbers made sense for us so we went with their offer. With all that being said, The customer service was the worst and greatly impacted the overall experience . Katie M. In the San Antonio market did not seem to have a handle on anything in our file from repeatedly asking for forms that already been submitted, to a general lack of knowledge or insight on how to a real estate transaction works. I can honestly say I worry for other consumers/clients who have to deal with her.
If I could give negative stars, I would!!!! Let me start from the beginning.....We are under contract with a home who Opendoor is selling. EVERY time we needed to enter the home either with our agent, inspection, or having someone come for an estimate, the code to enter the home was either wrong or they never sent one. We would always have to call around to get a new code. During inspection it was found that they covered a ton of mold with new carpet and the foundation has sunk and needs major repairs. We received our estimate which is for $46,000 to lift the foundation (which we sent to Opendoor to review) and they want to just take $15,000 off asking price. They have absolutely ZERO sense of urgency and will NOT get back to you in timely manner at all....its when they feel like it!!! We are using FHA, and a previous FHA was used and fell through for some reason....likely that Opendoor knows about the foundation problem (and the mold) and did NOT disclose any of this from the start. They just covered cracks on the window and door frames (from sinking foundation), slapped some paint over it and covered the moldy basement floor with new carpet hoping no one would know and buy it!!!! This is why the home has sat for sooooo long! I hope you sit on it forever, Opendoor! This is appalling!!! We have waited, and waited, and waited for responses from these people.....and they just flat out don't care!!!!! They say they will get back to you, and just NEVER do. DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They are deceitful and sneaky......This is the absolute worst company ever
Anna, We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
Worst buying experience EVER! I have purchased several homes and have never run across a company that will not send the information required to close! WORST!!! Never deal with open house!!!!
Thanks for letting us know about this. This is not the experience we strive to deliver at Opendoor. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into this matter!
My girlfriend bought a house through Open Door , and I will say that the process was extremely easy. Except for the fact that they kept changing her closing date and said someone would come to her, and then they emailed everything and wanted everything done by the end of the day, the rest was pretty easy. That's all I can say, the process was fairly easy but they come across as really unorganized. And on top of that, buyer beware of the company that they hire to do any changes, remodels or renovations. The company that did her house basically did a shoddy job of putting new flooring down, the cabinets were not supported as we eventually found out, they painted over rotting wood on the outside. Basically they will come in and paint over anything and everything and put cheap flooring and carpet down while doing a really crappy job and then up the price of the house to the premium dollar. When she called to complain about certain things,, they offered her a $150 credit, that was quite laughable, but she liked the house, it was indeed cute and I own my own home maintenance business and told her I could do her no good job I'm getting the house where she wanted it. Moral of the story, pay attention unless you want to put a lot of extra money into the house on top of what you paid for it, unless you can do the work yourself, because they obviously don't care about what they're actually selling you. Not a good way to maintain a reputation
Scott, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Phoenix
Your Name: Larry Hoyt
The whole experience could not have been better. From my initial call to inquire about the process and get an offer to the closing and recieving the funds the entire process exceeded all expectations by leaps and bounds. First, the staff were all responsive, professional and a pleasure to work with. The offer was not only fair but was higher than the recent comps in the area. The fees were less than a traditional realtor which meant more money in my pocket. I was able to pick the closing date and that process to was simple and quick. The digital closing and application worked flawlessly and the funds were transferred to my account as promised. Without a doubt I would whole heartily recommend them to my friends and family. Opendoor is bringing real estate into the 21st century.
(Sacramento) - Posted 1 month ago
Larry, great to hear you've had a positive experience with Opendoor! Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
I contacted opendoor to get an offer on my townhome. They looked at several comps, including a townhome just a couple of doors down that had the same layout as mine.. They gave me a valuation that was 20k less than my neighbor sold for. On top of this, they took out 10% for seller fees, So the amount that I would net would be so far below the market value that it was just laughable (~50k). I'm glad that I didn't go any further with them.
Paul, Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you would like to please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
We are buyer submitting offer since Dec 23 till Jan 5 before we had it executed. The seller side only wanted us to do this and that and they do not even put their own contact info on the contract but required us to do. We asked for repairs since Jan 8 but now Jan 14 still have no answer. The worst buying experience.
Hi Medina, sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. We always strive to provide a stress-free, positive experience with Opendoor, but if we've fallen short, we want to look into it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate? Thanks a lot!
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Phoenix
Entire process start to finish was very easy, stress-free and transparent. I found the financials very good, the numbers we came up with were a bit higher than what Opendoor quoted but still very competitive. The offer and assessment process was well streamlined, professional and reasonable. We were very happy overall. Highly recommend!
(Phoenix) - Posted 1 month ago
We're delighted to hear you've had a good experience with Opendoor Andrew. We appreciate you spreading the word about Opendoor!
Buyers, don’t waste your time. They won’t do a home warranty or termite bond. They said the repairs on our inspection were not repairs but “conditions” and offered pennies. It was a complete waste of our time. I will never, ever put an offer on an Opendoor home again. They should be transparent about selling as is.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Don't sell your house with opendoor. They are such ripoffs. They took 9% out for fees and repairs. They come in and find the tiniest things wrong and take more money out and then when its listed they didn't even repair what they took out of money. If you want to give away your home sell it to opendoor. Theres a special place in hell for rip off companies like this.
I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
Opendoor's app makes it easy to search homes and tour them in person. No pushy realtors, so I could shop on my own. Making an offer was simple, straight forward and I got excellent advice from the agent I worked with. I am very happy with Opendoor and would choose it over using a regular real estate agent any day!
Laura, Thanks for the positive feedback and we appreciate you spreading the word about Opendoor! 💙
They just take advantage of people and make it sound like it's to their benefit but it's not cuz if your house is valued about a half a million dollars they're going to offer you about 3:50 and then there are eight or 9% fees on top of that so you're really taking a losing situation
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address your requested an offer on so we can further evaluate this situation.
Recently bought a house from Open Door. Mailbox was broken, as in someone hit it before we went to closing. They said they were going to fix it. Their idea of fixing it was putting some rocks around the base to hold it up. Clearly it needed to be replaced. After several attempts to contact Open Door we have had no response and still a broken mail box. I Think people should do the right thing and stand by their word. AS THEY DID NOT. Beware new buyers...... DO NOT take their word for it. Don't sign on that dotted line until they have held up their end of the deal.
We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
In what city did you work with Opendoor (e.g. Phoenix, Nashville)? Henderson
Your Name: Amy C.
The overall experience selling to Opendoor was simple and streamlined. The offer request process was straightforward and very fast. The offer was definitely inline and competitive with market rates. Being able to secure a guaranteed buyer so quickly without dealing with listings and showings was a great benefit for us. The request for repairs after the home inspection were also reasonable. Also being able to specify the closing date and the late checkout option made the entire moving process a lot easier and convenient.
(Las_vegas) - Posted 1 month ago
Amy, great to hear you've had a positive experience with Opendoor! Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
Opendoor is rated 4.14 based on 638 reviews