Howdens Reviews

of reviewers recommend Howdens
1.9
Based on 142 reviews
Courier, Own Driver

Tell us how Howdens made you happy
Howdens  1 star review on 22nd February 2021
Apparently Howdens are the best that's why I went with them not realising I was about to put my trust & money into the pockets a bunch of unprofessional uncaring staff. I asked for while work tops a few days later I was told they were out of stock so the designer said mirror chip would be the most appropriate option for the look I wanted, wrongly of me I trusted him & agreed without viewing also as a senior nurse working frontline every shift I wanted to protect staff at howdens & keep my social distance so I trusted in advice give. The day of fitting I was at work however upon returning I was horrified the tops were most certainly not white (see pictures). After my emails being ignored along with phone calls not returned & some rudeness Howdens manager changed the tops to white oddly enough the original tops I'd requested. Sadly it doesn't end here... since fitted (not the kitchen fitters fault they followed the designers plans) I've not been able to open my back door. Howdens solution to this is to pay a fitter 300 & move the whole kitchen down a few inches. If this plan is followed I will have to pay an electrician to move plug sockets, extractor, oven & hob moreover the under counter fridge would need moving leaving the last cupboard not fitting. I don't have a lot of money I've literally spent my life savings on this dream kitchen I have items left over yet the appliance washing machine door is missing, when I emailed the manager he said the 600 base unit is the same ??? well if this is the case why doesn't it fit ? My kitchen fitter is a true craftsman if he says it won't fit then that is the case. I never expected to be fighting for my rights from Howdens as well as covid. I brought the kitchen in September it's 20th December & I still don't have a functioning kitchen, I can't put a floor down till it's rectified I can’t express the amount of upset this has & continues to give me. I'm so desperately upset & stressed. Thank you Howdens I'll raise my glass to you on Christmas Day as I tuck into my pot noodle because that's all this shambles of a kitchen is good for.
My 87 yr old mother purchased her kitchen this summer & was recommended their own brand cooker hob. She wasn't given any product information & was surprised when she contacted them to explain she was unable to use 4 rings on full power together, that this was normal, due to the limitations of the product. Feeling disappointed that this hadn't been explained to her before her purchase, felt she had no alternative but to put up with it. However this hob has now proved to be faulty. At times she is totally unable to use it because it won't come on. It has been tested by an independent electrician who couldn't get it to work either. She contacted Howdens and their response was we'll get someone out but not sure when it will be. Days later when their electrician was available it was working again. She has done this on several occasions but they say they need to get their own electrician to see the hob not working and they are never available when she phones. It is difficult, when something stops working intermittently to get someone from Howdens there immediately to confirm this problem, so how is she supposed to get it resolved. She has spoken to the shop in Uttoxeter on numerous occasions to ask for a replacement or a refund. They have refused, even after the electrician contacted them to say it wasn't working properly. She is extremely stressed and upset that at times she is unable to cook her dinner. She spent a lot of money at Howdens when she purchased her new kitchen but is very disappointed with the way she is now being treated.
could not believe what my fitter was asked when your depot sent the design. was put to him .how much do you want me to add so you can make some extra money on the job .you may now guess i would not buy a kitchen from howdens
Howdens are really bad. The offered me a free kitchen estimate. The quote was excessive. They didn't help me to sort out any of the problems with the kitchen myself. They sold me several items which I didn't need. They are constantly harassing me with text messages, brochures, emails and letters. I've told them to stop because I've had enough. They're terrible. Their kitchens are really bad and their service is really bad as well. I wouldn't recommend Howdens or their kitchens. They are 'trade only' which is jargon for the everyday consumer.
Struggle to give one star kitchen fitted 5 months 3 of 6 appliances already had new parts fitted new thermostat in cooker 3 weeks new ignition in hob 8 weeks and now new motherboard in the fridge. Complained to Howdens from start as didnt think it was acceptable to have parts fitted in products at such an early stage but told by their staff this was our only option. Now been told by their complaints department shouldn't have had new parts fitted you couldn't make it up but they will listen to further complaints and take history of products into account when they break down avoid at all costs
Expensive and half the stuff got delivered,rude and incompetent staff.
We had to leave 1 star in order to review! Their lucky to get the 1.. Christ where do you start with this?? The list goes on and on and looks to be covered by everyone else on here. The last straw has definitely been the county court letter and fine we’ve had to pay because they can’t pick the phone up, email or mention to us when in branch (daily) that theres an issue with the account. Not 1 letter was sent, 9 years of using Howdens has officially ended.. account closed! Avoid like the plague!!
Awful company to work for. Very well known for their bullying tactics with staff. Never worked in such a horrible environment. From managers who bully 16 year old apprentices (who then buy them things on the side to keep them quiet) managers who make inappropriate sexual comments to staff ( but it’s swept under the carpet because they are female) having to watch your colleagues suffer every day at work because their lives are being made a misery but there’s nothing they can do about it. People eventually having the courage to speak out and nothing comes of it, a few interviews to make it look like they care but with no real outcome. I worked there for 4 years. With only one year of that being a happy one with my previous manager. Since I have left howdens I have heard no end of stories from other member of staff and how they have suffered from bullying or had to watch it happen to somebody else. Joke of a company who only care about their staff if they are putting money in the till. I really don’t know how they are getting away with it!
I had a trade account with Howdens for 10 years, although I've never been a great fan - rude sales team in pretty much any branch you deal with, constantly losing money on lost time due to kitchens only being partly delivered (with out an ounce of remorse) - dealing with the arrogant, bully boys in their legal department is the straw that broke the camels back for me. During the Covid19 lockdown period I was unfortunate enough to receive a County Court Claim for an outstanding balance from Howdens. I didn't dispute the fact that I owed money, but during a time where the whole world seemed to be on hold, I raised the fact that I hadn't received the correct correspondence warning letter 30 days prior to the claim. In my ignorance I rather assumed that as I hadn't heard anything from Howdens, like so many other business' they were closed and would contact me when things were up and running again. On receiving the Court Claim I contacted their legal team and paid my outstanding balance immediately, yet within a week I received another letter claiming £510.00 fees and £138.09 in interest that had accumulated since speaking to one of their team!! A warning to all tradesmen that once your case is with the legal team, all business practice, compassion, and damn right humanity is gone. They are commission hungry robots continually repeating Terms and Conditions of your account. I can't remember the Terms and Conditions stating anything about global pandemics, but you'd think after 10 years, and tens of thousands of pounds in business may give you some leeway under such unusual circumstances. In my opinion Howdens profit heavily from late payments and their aggressive legal team. New trade customers are lured into opening a CREDIT account by free screw boxes or even radios, when most would settle for a cash account. Having traded with other suppliers no other is as notoriously aggressive as Howdens Accounts in recovering an outstanding balance. They prey on small business' and Sole Traders where cash flow is often an issue, £648.09 in fees is a lot of money, and the thought of going to court and further costs is terrifying. Having read other reviews on this site and spoken to other tradesmen in person I don't feel alone in my plight. Other tradesmen say they haven't had anything through from Howdens during the Lockdown period, yet owe money on their account?? Where as most companies around the world right now are acting compassionately towards their clients, in the prospect of a brighter future together. Howdens seem all too keen to bite the hand that feeds them for a quick commission hit. If I was to give advice to a young tradesman thinking of opening a trade account with Howdens, I'd say don't do it. You will lose out in the long run through lost earnings due to parts missing, even if your tempted by the "Two Quote trick", one for the client, another for the tradesman, wink wink nudge nudge! I'd rather be able to look at my myself in the mirror at night, and not deal with another member of the Howdens team ever again! There's better suppliers out there now, Howdens big cheese arrogance is dated and unwarranted. Ignore the "Great Customer Service" reviews on this site, they're merely diluting genuine feedback from ever disgruntled tradesmen in the hope of a free Screw Box! Account closed and a HUGE sigh of relief! PC Carpentry
Trade accounts. We have used Howdens for many Years, In the middle of a world wide pandemic were the world is trying to work together Howden send us a County Court claim for a small amount of money rather than just picking up the phone. Payed the balance owed when they opened local branches but yet they then ring up to ask for court fees that they decided to take me. Simple phone call and all this could been avoided. Well done Howdens ANOTHER customer lost!!!!
I am a carpenter of 35years. I have been dealing with howdens for years..never been great .recently your staff are rude and unprofessional. Stockport and Ashton. Got a parking ticket at Stockport because landlord introduced it. Nobody informed me to type in my vehicle reg. Ashton. Hannah needs to grow up and be professional. After all I am a customer bringing in trade. They are clueless and I think howdens will go bust shortly. Lol.
We have used Howdens for 10 Year, In the middle of a world wide pandemic were the world is trying to work together Howden send us a County Court claim for a small amount of money rather than just picking up the phone, they didn't even bother sending a letter or e-mail. We did get a text on Monday and the claim arrived on Thursday with £185.00 worth of charges!! Complete lack of business understanding just happy there is more choice of suppliers now. Well done Howdens ANOTHER customer lost!!!!
My Howdens oven stopped working after four years. A new element was needed. I phoned to arrange for an engineer to call and replace it. An appointment was made for the following Thursday and I was told to phone on the day for my allocated two hour slot, this I did. He didn’t arrive that day and I was not notified that he would not be coming. No reason or apology was given. Another appointment was made for the next day: same arrangement, phone for two hour slot. This time it was between 12 and 2. Didn’t arrive! I phoned at 3 o’clock to be told he had been delayed but would be with my by five. At four I got a call from Howdens to say that the part for my oven had only just arrived at the depot. I have no idea how the engineer was going to fix my oven without the part!!! Another appointment arrange for the following Tuesday between 8 and twelve. He turned up at 12:30. We made no mention of the precious missed appointments. However, he was the most unpleasant, belligerent, miserable repairman I have ever had the misfortune to meet. He spoke only when asked a direct question and then only in monosyllables - little more than a grunt to be honest. Clearly he hates his job and the people he has to deal with. This company is very user friendly when you are ordering your new kitchen, but I hope you never have to experience their after sales service which has to be the worst ever. NO STARS.
Really poor design and poor measurements. Not all the kitchen arrived and we have been told to drill our own holes in doors etc. When this kitchen is £14k you shouldn’t have to cut and drill holes... absolute joke. Would never buy again.
Terrible service, don't use them. Paid £80 for delivery got wrong time, no notice, expected my wife to carry it in. left work top on drive, 20/30% of order and now refused a refund of delivery charge.
My floor is lifting at edges of the strips. The staff member who came to look at it misquoted everything I said to him in his report and then issued me instructions on how to wash a floor. I took the complaint further and was told I should not be mopping the floor. I don’t!! I told them I use a well-wrung out VILEDA mop!!! I was never told that I needed to use a well wrung out cloth only (and nothing else) to clean the floor. I am 57 and know how to wash a floor!! There is only my 20 yr old son and I living in the house. We are also out most of the time so the floor sees very very light use. I stated that I clean the floor twice a week at the most. The employee reported that I said “I clean the floor at least twice a week” and then told me this was too often!! If I had young children or pets I would expect the floor to withstand daily cleaning and not to be lifting after less than two years use. Two of my kitchen cupboard doors are also “blown” in the corner - also showing signs of being poor quality. I’m being fobbed off and I’m disgusted and am taking this to both Trading Standards and small claims court action.
I am an account holder. 1. There kitchen's are as good as any other in the price range. 2. Some Flooring is very poor. 3. Each branch works independently from each other (not helpful) 4. Changing your account to another branch is like trying to leave a religious cult. 5. The price of kitchen's can be come down dramatically, but you have to keep going back and saying wickes or magnets are cheaper. 6. Never buy there appliances. They are overpriced and of a poor quality. 7. If you buy a kitchen, it's likely it will be delivered with unit's missing. Even though when you placed the order it is all in the warehouse. When you go in to complain, they rob from someone else's order. 8. Don't try to complain above branch level as you will have no chance of a resolution. 9. In short. For a British owned company, I am disappointed. They could come across so much more professional. Instead they are more like a secondhand car dealer. Its all about the sale! All business need to make a profit, but Howdens needs to get a lot more professional in there core customer service, instead of making as much money as they possibly can out of every kitchen and putting on all their rubbish appliances on every quote even when they are not wanted. Stop the pestering phone calls after every quotation. Stop putting pressure on your staff to make there margins or else! I don't understand how these reviews are so different from some other review sites!!! I wonder£
Howdens - Doncaster, York Road Absolute joke of a franchise, this is not my usual branch. A customer asked me about kitchens and I recommended Howdens, said to her I've got an account I can come in with you and organise planning. And get you the best price. Without warning the customer went to Howdens Doncaster to see kitchens. Howdens phoned me to see if it was ok to discuss pricing. I said yes and a planning appointment was arrange. Then Howdens were saying they have a sale on soon. We were asked by the customer how long before we could fit the kitchen. Were always booked up to 6 months to a year in advance. So long story short Howdens dangled a carrot to the customer to buy the kitchen which she did. Now this is where it gets interesting, the customer has been allowed to buy a kitchen and put it on my account using my credit facility, which was never authorised by me or any paperwork signed by me and then to top it off another company fitting the job who obviously had a availability and sing my account, me getting emails saying £4500 has been spent then £300. So I had a word with Kyle and Adam to say nothing is to be added to my account. Low and behold there are refunds going back in and other transactions again. And this is Howdens who are trade only. I've had words with the customer as well as she knew it was trade only. it's subsequently caused issues for me we were supposed to have other work to do for this customer but as she has been under hand, we won't be doing anything more. I run a ltd company and the way these clowns have behaved is appalling. Adam and Kyle I've dealt with on the phone. Kyle didn't have the guts to call back himself so got Adam to call. Well I'm sorry I see this as fraud, you have rinsed a sale out of my account without my say so, using a secured credit facility. awaiting reply from Howdens head office, police and solicitor will be involved, also I've contacted the financial ombudsman for advice! It's no better than taking my credit card lads and spending what you want on it. Heads up for any tradesmen using this branch to watch what they are doing behind your backs, completely untrustworthy ! Change your branch 🤦 When I spoke to the customer in question she said Kyle was practically begging for the sale, desperate or what, bless you mate. Anyway let's see how funny you think you are after this 👍
My first contact with Howdens was good, polite and friendly. However when the kitchen arrived a lot of the units were measured up wrong, there were marks and chips on several, which had to be changed. The breakfast bar was not what we asked for, it was only big enough for one plate, it was a joke really! This was replaced eventually. We still have some tiny marks in places, but have decided to live with it, as only we would know they are there. Would never recommend..
Terrible customer service. I gave clear specification to the designer and asked for two options when he came to visit. He told me that would be no problem. Instead he only sent one option and itvwas all wrong. I emailed and reveived no reply for 4 days. I then called ans asked to be called back and got nowhere. I emailed again with the what I wanted and again he sent me the wrong design and no ohone call. Will not buy from them now.
Howdens is rated 1.92 based on 142 reviews