Hsbc Reviews

of reviewers recommend Hsbc
Telephone, Email, Live Chat

Tell us how Hsbc made you happy
Hsbc 1 star review on 6th April 2018
Disgruntled David
Hsbc 5 star review on 15th February 2017
Mouchel Christian
Hsbc 1 star review on 15th June 2016
More Photos & Videos
Could not be less helpful, received an email asking me to contact their call centre, first person i spoke to kept pushing me to log in on line, i explained that i was asked to call, again, use the website, i asked if he was able to help me, with a huff he agreed, then went to a second person, he advised there was nothing he could do to help, so i still have a problem that needs fixing and no one seems to be able or wanting to help get it resolved. such poor customer service
Extremely bad service. I wanted to change addresses for myself and my 12 and 17 old children. They changed mine after 1/2 hour. Then they told me even though I opened their accounts myself and am 3rd party authorised, I couldn’t do it. The Gloucester Road manager, Zhang-Su Thomason said she couldn’t help. The options weren’t there even to do it by completing a form. She was ok about losing 3 customers if I wished to close all our accounts. Such a horrendous service. I had to take time off work just to waste it there. Never would recommend them.
This is one of the few sites with 'reviews' of HSBC where I have actually been able to leave a review... Interestingly it is also one of the few which seem to echo my opinion of the company's management of my account.

I make almost daily calls to HSBC to try and make payments (which I try to do entirely online) I am told each time that the fault is with the receiving bank only to find out that this is not the case.

I have repeatedly requested email communication yet not received a single email and instead am told that I couldn't be contacted.

Every large payment has taken me days and multiple phone calls, each time with a different explanation given.
I had a massive issue with HSBC this week. I was trying to log onto online banking, which I do daily. I have had the same log-in details for years. However, this time the system kept telling me that I was using the wrong log-in details (which I wasn't). Then it locked my account.

I had a long and frustrating phone call with a lady who could hardly speak English, telling me that it was my fault and I was entering the wrong details. Made me feel like a complete idiot! I know my own log-in but she would not have it.

After 3 days I received a reset password in the post, but unable to do any banking online - and I need access numerous times a day.

During this time my son tried to make some online transactions using his account and card, all were declined due to an error, so please do not tell me that HSBC did not have and issue and blame me.
A car hire company put a reserve on my credit card of 850€. The car was returned ok, and signed off by them as undamaged etc. However, more than two weeks later, they haven't released the reserve. They don't respond to emails or phone calls, and HSBC say they can't do anything. Basically that hold can stay there forever, reducing my credit limit accordingly. Supposedly the hold should only be there for 5-7 days but 16 days later HSBC say I have to contact the hire company. Argh!!!
Rude man unhelpfull and not interested in me opening an account to put in house sale money .
spent four days trying to open a bank, used the phone set up, used the online help - all useless. Nothing worked, they try to cut staff and do everything online which does not work
On-line fraud
We have been holding a regular account (no business) with HSBC for 14 years, mainly used to pay utility bills and regular expenses.
We have been victim of a fraud by a hacker.
During the on-line fraud, my wife alerted HSBC whilst the transactions were still happening.
Our call was on hold for about 15/20 minutes before been able to speak with the fraud team.
HSBC has been unable to stop a 15k transaction to a fraudulent Barclays account.
After days we received only a letter blaming us for lack of protection of our secure details.
Nothing was mentioned about them releasing an unusual payment of 15k without any check… no call or text has been made.
Nothing was mentioned about lack of security from Barclays opening fraudulent accounts.
We are a standard family planning ahead every investment and this matter has permanently affected our future plans.
Now we are no longer HSBC customers anymore.
I am writing this to warn future consumers.
My relative is UK born, but has lived in Zimbabwe for past 60 years. She has a HSBC account in UK which HSBC made dormant and are now refusing her access to her savings until she proves her identity. HSBC had no problem with her identity talking to her by phone over past 10years; no problem with identity supplying her with a debit card sent by courier service and no problem with her identity sending private & confidential statements to her home in Zimbabwe.
She is now terminally ill, confined to a wheelchair and has not been able to leave her home for 4 years. The mental stress is unbelievable,
but HSBC seem quite happy to condemn her to a premature death, by withholding her only means of buying the health care she desperately needs. They even asked her to supply a copy of her bus-pass!!! She lives 6,000 miles away and has not set foot in UK for over 20 years!
Hsbc closed my sons account in Jan19. He was advised a cheque would be put in the post on the 1st Feb we are now on the 11th April. No money no cheque.
8 to calls no solution 11th april i have been advised the cheque will be put in the post today.
Never open an HSBC bank account! The app is rubbishy I cant manage my direct debits or transfer money between accounts.
Telephone customer service is a nightmare. Two hours on the phone trying to close my saver account and get it transferred to current account. The customer service personelle are in another country and don’t seem to know what they are doing, putting me on hold for long lengths of time.
I am closing my account as soon as possible moving to another bank.
Never use HSBC as a business account. It's an awful headache in every way possible.
I got into big financial difficulties, with HSBC giving me massive credit card and overdraft limits. I had a couple of other credit cards too. Virgin Money at least stopped the interest on my credit card while I pay it off over the next 5 years. HSBC greedily charged me 16% on a consolidation loan for my debt with them. They are making around £10,000 in profit on the loan. And they love it. Scum.
Why do you keep charging me for Hsbc advance card and overdraft services when I have spoken to you couple of times to cancel it due to my I’ll health that has caused my retirement and unable to pay. You deduct the money for life cover and critical illness cover which I never benefited. Why are you stressing me this way.
The most bureaucratic bank in the world. Try to open an account with them and they will flood you with paperwork and passwords/codes for online banking. An absolute nightmare.
Taking long time to review an account

Seriously which bank takes 6 weeks to review an account and still tell to wait?

More of a joke
Do not like the new website. Writing too small for me and difficult to read being pale grey type not black. Too many boxes open, which made it very confusing for me as a senior citizens. May look to move our money elsewhere, at a site we can read without a magnifying glass.
There is too much wrong with the High Street Banking *unts to cover in this short review. But, to those familiar with Star Wars - think of “the dark side”. Think of pure evil. That is my experience of HSBC and I despise them for what they have done to me. A truly wicked organisation.
Worst bank ever
HSBC may be "the world's local bank", but more notably they're the world's worst!

I have never had a worse banking experience than with HSBC, they are unhelpful (especially to existing customers), uncompetitive (both in terms of lending rates and banking services) and moreover they're completely incompetent.

Thankfully it's been years since I held a current account with this shameful institution (never again shall I make that mistake) but last week I foolishly applied for a 0% balance transfer credit card with them. I'll bullet-point the chaos that ensued to save time:

- Nearly a week after my application, without providing even an email confirmation to acknowledge that they had received it, they finally contacted me by email to request further information.

- Despite me passing a credit check with ease, they requested that I upload copies of my last 3 payslips and last 3 month's bank statements. In hindsight this was a ludicrous request considering I had passed the credit check, but I figured I was committed by this point so I obliged and uploaded the documents through their frustrating online service.

- A further 2 working days after this (again, no email confirmation) I finally receive a call from their frankly downright rude and abrasive credit card team. They start by challenging my declared salary, insisting that they've 'done the math' and it adds up to less than I've declared. Now, like any normal human being on this planet, I know what my annual salary is - so I questioned what 'math' they had done to arrive at this bizarre conclusion. It transpires they are calculating my annual basic salary post-tax and post corporate deductibles (company benefits, pension, etc.).

That's not right is it?

Damn straight it's not right, in fact, I've been back to their online application screen since to check and it clearly states that they want your annual income BEFORE tax. In any case, there was no reasoning with this particular moron who was adamant they had read my payslips correctly (they hadn't - my salary before tax is clearly stated and if you multiply it by 12, guess what? it adds up to my declared annual income!). In less polite words than I'm using now I 'requested' that they cancel my application and swipe their 0% card somewhere other than a card reader.

- 20 minutes later I applied online for a similar card with Santander.
- My application was accepted immediately.

The moral of this story is: DON'T EVER BANK WITH HSBC, EVER, FOR ANY REASON!

With love,