Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
Trying to unsubscribe from mailings for a year but keep getting told may receive one more mailing in the next 6 weeks. Weekly letters still coming.
Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback with us, we appreciate it. Could you please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can remove you from our marketing list? Thanks a lot!
What a joke. They massively lowballed my home offer. Within 24 hrs of listing, we had an offer in hand that was over asking price and $62k over what Opendoor offered. Our tax assessment (which is always much lower than what the house is worth) came in at almost $30k more than what Opendoor offered. There are unrenovated, half the size, 1/4th the lot sized homes in our neighborhood that sold for as much or in one case, 15k more than they offered us for our home.

This is a predatory, garbage company. Don't waste your time.
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a less than satisfactory experience with us Mre. We'd like to learn more. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address. Thank you!
Shad wouldn't take the time to give us an offer. Canceled our scheduled meeting, did not answer when we called, and told us we were high risk.
Jennifer,

Sorry to hear this, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so we can better understand how our teams can improve.
My experience started out positive with Opendoor, then over time, I realized what kind of company they truly are! I asked Opendoor to make an offer on a house that I would be owning in a matter of days. I felt the offer was fair and said I would accept it, but I wasn't the legal owner at the time so I didn't sign the paperwork. They asked for me to renew the offer when I was the owner and I did just 12 days later, their offer price went way down (but they couldn't provide any data showing why their offer went down -(huh?)), and then they BACKHANDEDLY raised, their "service charge" fees - (WHAT>???) I asked why these fees went up and they blamed it on the expenses they pay for keeping up all of their other properties! WHY AM I BEING CHARGED FOR THEIR OTHER PROPERTIES? That isn't an expense for them buying MY property! Ironically, the CSR gave the example of running ACs in the summer, and right now, we are going into fall, so these costs should actually be going DOWN, not up, so my fees should be LESS not MORE!
IF their operating costs changed, it should be reflected in their purchase offer, not trying to sneak MORE MONEY out of you by hiding it in their service fees where its very difficult for someone to detect (they won't let you access the details of expired offers so take screenshots of everything!!!). This IS NOT being upfront and honest in the way they conduct business. IT is very SHADDY and UNDERHANDED ways of trying to screw people out of money! I wonder how many other people they have swindled out of more money, even if they kept the offer price the same on a renewed offer, they could have raised the service fees without people remembering or proving it and got 1000s more in the transaction!

Out of principle, I will probably sell my house with an agent (and make more money with statistically too!) and its based off of their underhanded techniques to screw me over! My Lesson learned - When these clowns get through with you, you will have lost a lot of $$$ in the house!
Hi Phil,

Buying an Open Door house has been by far the worst experience. They close at 5 and have weekends off. They would not sign Amendments after the inspection and they would not correspond in a timely manner and now I am out of my earnest money and then no repairs are done. I had to do a termination agreement. They absolutely suck!!
Hi Kennedy,

We apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Our records indicate that you were able to get the support you needed and decided to move forward with the property. Regardless, we will be sharing your feedback about the difficulty you had getting in contact with us as we are always looking to improve the experience for all customers. Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction.
After filling out the online questionnaire, the amount we were offered was exactly what we felt, due to comparable homes in our area, was reasonable. That changed with the inspection. They took off over $26,000 due to 'our needing a new roof', in addition to many other 'questionable' items. We knew our roof was in great condition, so we asked to have the roofer walk the roof with us to show us what he felt was wrong. He refused. We decided to put our home on the market with a realtor, had an inspection done, the roof, in addition to the other 'items' that Opendoor had said were needed, were all in perfect condition. Our home sold the first day, for the asking price, and we payed less commission using a realtor. Please, do NOT use open door. We have spoken with other people since our bad experience, and haven't heard anything positive.
We apologize for the less than satisfactory experience with us. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
Extremely low offer that was well below market, and then they wanted to take an additional $19,000 off that for a "processing concession." Net of it all was a final offer than was nearly $10,000 below what we paid for the house three years ago in an area with property values that are growing well above the national average.

I get that they need to make their money somehow but it's like these guys took a lesson from Pawn Stars on how to make insultingly low offers. Would not consider using them again.
Tim, I’m sorry to hear your experience with Opendoor was less than stellar. Your feedback matters to us. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address so our team can learn more.
Offer was well below market value. Opendoor takes 10% of price right off the bat. I suspect that these positive reviews are not real.
Scott, We value your feedback and take it seriously. Please email community@opendoor.com with more information about your experience and the property address.
My wife and I just purchased our second home in Atlanta after relocation from Wisconsin. It was our first time using Open Door. We actually found our home while going on a run in a new area. We fell in love with the area and saw a home with an "Open for showing" sign in the front yard. We downloaded the app, went in, and then we made a fun adventure out of it and started running to all the other Open Door homes in the area. Luckily, we fell in love with the last home we saw and put in an offer. Fast forward a few months and we could not be happier. Open Door was an excellent company to do business with, and they went above and beyond to fix the repairs we outlined during our inspection. They got everything done in time and were able to hit our closing date. Based on our previous buying experience, I'd say Open Door actually did more for us to get the home ready for move-in than traditional sellers have in the past. When we pulled up in the driveway after closing we found someone at our home hired by Open Door cleaning it for us in anticipation of our move-in. Nice touch.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We're so glad we could help you and your wife find your new home. Wishing you all the best in this next chapter!
Every repair they identified was exaggerated and overpriced. The repairs we made on our own were typically 1/3 of what they said it would cost. We were asked to hold money in escrow in case of damage during a pier repair. They would not respond to emails or requests for the money, then miraculously produced an invoice in exactly the amount held in escrow. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!
Hi there,

We appreciate you taking some time to share your experience. We would like to learn more about your situation, can you email community@opendoor.com, with more information and the property address?
They’re going to blind you with the wow factor on your initial offer. What happens is instead of low-balling you up front, they give you the wow number. Then you accept the offer and go under contract. That’s when they decide to take back $15k from that offer because they “over-valued” the home on top of the list of requested “improvements”. Getting a revised offer while under contract...hmmm. Now we’ve got to back out of our contract with the builder of our new home because what was supposed to be our new home requires us to be under contract on the selling home in order to proceed. I’m out my earnest money and whatever penalties I’ll face from the builder.
Hi there,

We do apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience here. We would like to learn more about your experience, can you email community@opendoor.com?
Opendoor did not offer to buy our home. They didn't even go see it in person. Disappointed.
Hi there,

Can you email community@opendoor.com with the address of your home so we can take a look at what happened? We apologize for any delay in our communication.
Worst possibly customer service took 6 days to hear back from anyone after submitting a offer then got emails and calls from random people to never talk to again that knew nothing about the transaction or the next steps then they are very one sided and impossible to work with and overlook every request you make only willing to make several small repairs when the inspector found many issues with the house that are all major issues
() - Posted 1 year ago
This was my 2nd home to sell to opendoor my first experience was amazing hints why I went back. But this sell was absolutely awful the customer service was horrible my first price started out at $212,450 I walked away with $189,000. There was not a detailed list of where the money went this time it was like if you do not like the offer walk I have other people waiting to close. Then at the last minute they sent me something stating they were going to charge me $350 for the trash that I sat in the curb for the city to pick up. They stated if I did not pay the amount they were not going to close. I pay the the city of Fort Worth Monthly for bulk trash pick up an I did not leave trash on the property it was left on the city property for them to pick up. I was told I would be refunded the $350 if the city picked the trash up but I have yet to see it. I am just glad to be done with Opendoor and I will never do business with them again nor will I refer another person as I did in the past. I spoke so highly of them just to be burnt.
(Dallas) - Posted 1 year ago
Terrible experience! You guys don’t know how to use or answer the phone once you have a house under contract and you are ever worse once you know you have the buyer on the hook.

We could never get a same day response about anything from the Atlanta, Ga office. Everything was by email until the final hour when we had to call along with our realtor calling to make anything happen. Communication was terrible the entire time.

Now to top it all off we finally closed and the house is ours. Opendoor is supposed to email me a code for the new lock set on the door and tell me where the keys are at inside...24 hours later I have no email, no keys, and I’m going to have to break in to my own home to walk through the door for the first time. This will make a great story and will be forever a reminder of what a terrible corporate company Opendoor is.
(ATL) - Posted 1 year ago
Hi there,

We apologize for any lapse in communication. Please know that your feedback was shared internally. If you are still having difficulties with communication please email community@opendoor.com.
We attempted to buy an Opendoor house in Marietta, Ga. They were nickel and diming us on everything since the beginning and we had conceded to paying list price and not getting the roof fixed. Then come to find out the house appraised $24,000 below their list price and they refused to come down, meaning that we could not get the house without taking a lower loan and paying the difference. Turns out they overpaid for the house to start with. Extremely disappointed with the company and will now on avoid them at all costs.
We apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Please email community@opendoor.com with any additional details, our team would like to take a look at what happened here. Please know that we rely on feedback like yours to continue to optimize the experience for both buyers and sellers.
This company is way overpriced and you can’t use your FHA loan with them until a certain date their interest is way too high.., in certain neighborhoods that they’re getting these homes in or as low as 115,000 that’s only worth 130,000 they may go and purchase a home The same exact home across the street Same floorplan same style just like the one Sits in front of the home they purchased and price it for 160,000 they are way overpriced and I would not recommend no one to purchase a home from them. They hardly ever except the offer of the home even if you give them the offer that’s priced or a little more they still want more and more I absolutely recommend no one to purchase a home with this company.
Hi there,

We appreciate you taking some time to share your feedback. Please know that we have circulated your insights internally as we continue to optimize the experience for both buyers and sellers. If you have any additional insights you would like to share, feel free to email community@opendoor.com.
I flew to Vegas to meet them to look at my house. They knew I was flying from out of state. When they got to my house I told them I didnt have access to the garage, but that their competitor which sounds like Pillow did the inspection and was willing to come back tomorrow to access garage. Opendoor was full of attitude and said "oh well" about me telling the public how they act. So I decided to tell the public.
I think it's crazy that they wouldn't inspect the house and come back for garage or I could send them photos. but nope Opendoor doesn't really care about the seller. so no I would never contact them again, just calling it like I see it.
DO NOT BUY A HOUSE FROM OPENDOOR. I was interested in a house in Savannah, TX. I did a home inspecation and the man told that I should get a roof inspection. I research for a 5 star roofing company to inspect it and found out there was severe hail damage. When we did a addendum for Opendoor to get a inspection done on the roof and fix as needed. They came back saying the roof was in great shape and their pictures from the inspection was all from a side point of view. When my realtor showed them ours with VERY detailed pictures they were shock. They came back three days later saying they were going to do another roof inspection. My realtor said we would too. I pick ANOTHER 5 star rating roofing company and he said its a no brainier that they roof was damaged. Open door came back saying only 500 dollars needs to be repair. When my realtor said "are you kidding me?". They came back and said "Did we say 500, we meant 100?". My insurance and mortgage lender wrote a lengthy letter to them that they will not allow me to purchase the home. My father even told them to drop 10,000 so we can personally fix the roof. Opendoor said no. They are a used car saleperson trying to sell you a broken car. They are shady company. OH! Found a coworker that purchased a home and found out that opendoor replace the carpet but no the padding. OPENDOOR cuts corners and steals from you. BEWARE!!!!!
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor Sarah, and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
After reading the awesome reviews about open door, we decided to sell our home to them. It was a horrible experience. The home inspection was not done until weeks after we signed the initial papers, the repair list was not sent to us until after the tentative closing date, we weren't even offered a chance to address the repair list. Open door cancelled 4 days from the close date. We had already hired the truck, driver, moving help, given and donated our furniture, we were moving to a furnished home, and we lost the ernest money, and other expenses we paid, on the home we were to move to. If I could give Zero stars, I would.
Hi there,

We apologize for what sounds like a very frustrating experience. Please know that we have circulated your feedback internally. If you have additional insights you would like to share, please email contact@opendoor.com. Thank you.
Opendoor is rated 4.04 based on 695 reviews