Direct Line Reviews

of reviewers recommend Direct Line

Tell us how Direct Line made you happy
Direct Line's Engineer instructed their nominated garage undertaking insurance repairs on my car to retain the tow hitch (despite its being subject to impact loading and therefore a potential risk to public safety) and to retain one of the two rear bumper components (despite it having been subject to distortion). I was asked to arrange to collect my car after the garage had completed authorised repairs. I immediately raised my concerns about the tow hitch and excessive movement between the rear bumper components. It is shocking that Direct Line returned the car to me without the tow hitch being replaced (if the tow hitch were to fail in use, it could cause serious injury or even fatalities) and my concern is such that I have been unable to use my trailer since early August (it is now almost November).
After several weeks of poor communication and astonishing incompetence by Direct Line during which time all discussions were by telephone, I realised that it would be necessary to ensure that a written record was kept so I raised a complaint and asked to proceed with written communications.
Direct Line’s 'Case Handler' reviewed and accepted the issues I raised and asked me to arrange to take my car back for THEIR errors to be resolved. When I arrived at the garage as arranged, I was told that I would be unable to transport my dog (he was in my car with me) and the boot space of the courtesy car was too small for him in any case. The garage contacted Direct Line about a larger vehicle but this would not have been available the same day so my 50 mile return journey to the garage was wasted. Subsequently although Direct would make a larger vehicle available for me, they refused to accept the costs of undertaking a valet after use to meet the car hire return requirements. I fully understand that my insurance carries limitations for any 'at fault' claim but I cannot see how such limitations are applicable to works due to Direct Line's incompetence and negligence. Direct Line’s Claims Handler advised that I should log a claim with the car hire company; I saw this as being cynical obfuscation and highly unprofessional, so I raised a second complaint with Direct Line. Direct Line took a further week to make their decision not to uphold my complaint and it appears they consider that costs consequential to Direct Line's negligence are uninsured losses. Although Direct Line in their final decision did offer to cover the cost of vacuuming the car prior to return of the car provided that I pay, then negotiate several hoops to reclaim them. I consider this is inappropriate and derisory in view of the loss of use, expense, time, trouble and effort that I have experienced due to Direct Line's errors and incompetence.
In light of the serious nature of my experience of Direct Line’s handling of my first (and only) claim with them in years of loyal renewals, I thought it would be helpful to contact Direct Line’s CEO (Penny James). It transpires that this was naive and it would appear their management are happy with the handling of my complaints.
Got my automatic renewal for car insurance. Big increase on last year. Called them for better deal as a long time customer but got nothing. Looked around and found loads of companies offering better deal for the same cover. Saved £150.00. Awful service after being with them for years. Never again. My house Insurance is also with them but will change once current period is up.
Tried to help
If you’re looking for an insurance company where they charge you for any reason ( changing your address ) and make your premium higher than ever regardless of keeping your car in a garage or on the middle of the road then here you go, DIRECT LIKE INSURANCE 👎👎👎👎👎
My policy increased fro around £330 To £630 in 2 years. Direct line could not and didn't want to justify this increase and only offered a small reduction. No loyalty and I have now found another quote for £326.00 .
Make sure you shop around. Remove your automatic renewal to avoid being ripped off.
Made a motor claim 3 weeks ago, after waiting nearly 2 weeks was told the car was a 'write off' although didn't look that bad to me and was offered a settlement just over half the amount I paid for the vehicle 3 months earlier which was nowhere near the market value. You don't have a dedicated claims handler so I ring the call centre, they have to raise a dispute. When I said I would get my own quote for the repairs, I was told the engine would have been damaged and they couldn't guarantee the safety of the car, even though I drove it home after the accident and all this looking at 21 photos! The process is far too slow and they don't seem to be proactive, it's just another claim to them. Really disappointed. I won't be using them again.
EASY TO GET INSURANCE - BUT BEWARE IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A CLAIM
There are lots of very nice reviews on here about how easy it is to get Direct Line insurance - but beware if you are ever going to make a claim.

We are in the process of going through a claim for our shower room at the moment. Direct Line are trying to get me to agree for them to pay to replace only two rows of tiles in a room that is fully tiled floor and walls even though the policy agrees that they would/could pay for 50% of the cost of new tiles if the tiles cannot be replaced or will be damaged. I have told them that I cannot buy the tiles again (they are 8 years old) and the person who owns the company that I hope will do the work has also told them that the tiles cannot be replaced and that he cannot do the work without taking the vanity unit and toilet out which will also damage other tiles. I also have other issues with this claim.

I have complained and the issue has been escalated to the department that deals with complaints - however, they give themselves EIGHT weeks to come back to you. They may well take less time, and they may well not.

Some years ago we had a flood at the house - we were also covered by Direct Line and I cannot tell you how difficult it was to deal with them over this claim at a time when my home had no ceilings and a lot of water damage.

I am not in the habit of making insurance claims over the many years I have had home and building insurance but if you pay a large amount of money every year in case you need to make a claim then the expectation is that they would be there for you. Of course they want to pay out as little as possible, but in this case it does not make any sense.

Dealing with the claims department has been the most upsetting, stressful and horrible experience so far. I don't expect that their complaints department is going to be any different. I can of course go to the ombudsman if I do not like the outcome, which will again take a lot of time. I do wonder if the people on the end of the phone and Direct Line themselves have any idea, or even care, about their customers. I can't really think they do, this is just about money
EASY TO GET INSURANCE - BUT BEWARE IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A CLAIM
There are lots of very nice reviews on here and TrustPilot about how easy it is to get Direct Line insurance - but beware if you are ever going to make a claim.

Still awaiting refund
Was told that I would get a refund in 10 days... Called after 10 days was told that it would be another 14 days as they are busy working it out...ha ha absolutely BS
Very easy after getting quote to set up the insurance and Laura who we spoke to was really friendly and explained everything nothing was to much.
My home was burgled on 3rd June 2019, eleven weeks later and I am still waiting for my claim to be settled. I now have a problem, my home insurance is due for renewal on 1st September, the company has added so many endorsements to my policy that I fear that my home may not be covered if I need to claim again, furthermore, I am unable to obtain insurance elsewhere as I have an ongoing claim.
I can liken this experience to being knocked down by a car and bashed over the head by the ambulance crew sent to help me.
Don’t trust this company.
Please don't trust them once you've taken the policy out they will send you a letter saying that they had to change it knowing most people can't be bothered but I will never forget and I would never go with DirectLine ever again be careful with this company
my 80 year old mother insured with this company for her business. The garage and surrounding walls collapsed at the property due to heavy rain and wind storm damage. Lee duggan tried to fob me off on the phone saying we where not covered and then changed his mind and accepted the claim. This must be the first call reject the claim he also said they did not have inusrance accessors. When I threatened the ombudsman and county court and asked for his superior he then said he would send someone out. He waanted me to get a contractor to right a report top say he was wrong and I was right. Do not insure with this company they are the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with you have been warned!!!!!
I did my insurance with direct line 3 years ago and im still with them because this company is really good and also good customer service. I will give direct line 10 out of 10.
Shocking. Lazy. Incompetent. I was rammed from behind by a maniac overtaking me on a narrow country road at night before a 90-degree bend. The 3rd party apologised & admitted responsibility at the time. He'd previously written off another car in a similar way. And yet Direct Line would not fight my corner. They held me responsible, & were lethargic & patronising in their response. I'd previously not had an insurance claim entered against me in 32 years of driving. I strongly advise everyone to avoid this wretched company. Their motor policies might be cheap, but there's a reason for this. They will abandon & betray their customers at the slightest opportunity. And you can forget any notion of accountability.
After receiving a rediculously high quote from my current car insurance company I got a quote from Direct line, from start to finish they made the whole thing uncomplicated, quick, easy to do and gave me a fantastic price. £120 cheaper than my previous company and with all the extras included. Wish I had tried them last year, and the year before.
Please please do not trust this company they are thieves they give you a good price to begin with and then they boost your insurance up .my car insurance was boosted up by £300 my pet insurance by £400 no excuses given
Just taken out car insurance from direct line and I can only say that Adam who dealt with my call was very friendly and helpful. Brilliant service and great price.
Always keeps you up to date with when you need to pay and Direct Line offers
A really good company