British Gas Reviews

British Gas 1 star review on 4th April 2022
F Butt
British Gas 1 star review on 4th April 2022
F Butt
British Gas is the worse company I have experience in my life, I was closing my account with them and they made a mistake on our account, they were asking us to pay again where we already paid them. When I tried to contact them to get this correct, it take me 5 months to get this issue fixed and their agents were not helpful at all, every agent wanted just to end the call as fast as they can. Never use British Gas again
App is absolutely rubbish can't get any readings off it smart meter seems to be working though I went long way round to get my readings just log into british gas and go too your account reading match with smart metre but it still won't update my phone numbers or send me my bill ive had solar panels installed and my lecce bill for 1st month is 10.14 which is mainly standing charge and that's the biggest scam going
Trying to figure out why your app is not working.
This is how they turn your credit into debit overnight, when you request, what is owed to you.
British Gas 1 star review on 14th May 2022 British Gas 1 star review on 14th May 2022
Their technology is rubbish! App hasn’t been working properly since mid Feb 2022. It appeared to be fixed recently and was showing daily usage again - hooray! Then … today a message comes up saying that the daily usage cost shown is at the old kWh rate, not the new rate. So completely useless then! The In Home Display for the smart meter keeps malfunctioning - the gas shows usage and charges when there’s absolutely no gas being used. This tech is supposed to enable us to monitor and manage our usage so as not to end up with excessive bills. Well, British Gas, make sure it works properly then. Just putting an apology on the app, for nearly 4 months, isn’t good enough. Perhaps I’ll just apologise when I can’t pay my bill!
I had a plumbing appointment today in emergency between 8am to 9am but on schedule they have to write 8 to 6 engineers never turn, when I ring 4pm I been told engineer on way to me, again no one turned up, ring 5pm been told will be with me 6pm, ring 6.20, been told again Aiden will come 9pm no one turn up ring 9.30 pm been told sorry engineers can’t make it today it been cancelled.
They refused to refund the credit we had built up over the winter months. We tried reducing our monthly direct debit payments on the British Gas app. We were unable to. We have now cancelled the direct debit to them, with one click one the banking app. We have been with British gas getting on 20 years.
they take your money that is all they are interested in you are told one day you are on track next day you will have to pay more i think they are a bunch of failed comedians who seem to have a right to take unlimited quantities of cash . and you cant do a thing to stop them.except leave as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!
WORST COMPANY EVER, NEVER GO TO THIS, SCAMMERS, they made an estimation of how much my bill is saying that I spend £800 in 3 months and the unit rate was 10x higher than normally, and saying that we cannot do nothing about it but pay. SCAMMERS. I will move company as soon I pay all of this, I don't recommend this company at all.
Was moved to British Gas from Peoples Energy Company, who I was really happy with, when they stopped trading had no choice in this matter and have had several issues with DD. While trying to sort was 188 in queue for live chat. However would say that I then contacted them through Facebook messenger and had a very swift response from Damian who resolved my problem and sent details to customer services who also contacted me so my issue was not with this part of the service just the fact that I have to keep contacting them with DD issues. The first example being that after signing the initial DD form for £135 a month the following day I received an email saying that my monthly amount was £180 which had doubled!!!
My electric pre paid meter display went blank , after waiting for 1hour and 40 minutes my call was answered and then I was cut off. The next day this happened again , panicking I rung Citizens advice and asked if they could help me , they passed me to their support department where a lovely lady listened to my problem and said she would get in touch with BG , within half a hour a customer service agent from BG got in touch and arranged a appointment for a engineer to come and replace my gas and electric meters for smart ones. The lady from CAB rung me daily to make sure I was ok making sure my electric hadn't run out. The day before the meters were due to be fitted had a text off BG cancelling my appointment because of lack of engineers , Citizens advice were notified by me of this and once again they got in touch with a Grace Walker from BG who then rung me and the appointment went ahead. I cannot thank Citizens advice enough for all there help if it wasn't for them I would probably be sitting here now with no electric supply. I URGE everyone to get in touch with citizens advice whether you are vulnerable or not to get the help you deserve because BG certainly don't care about their customers. Read the reviews on Trust pilot it is truly shocking how they are treating people.
My friend has mental health issues and client care has been discusting. Sent round the houses left on hold no-one calling her back as promised BG hang your heads in shame.
I’ve been trying to get a smart meter for weeks now as my ddr went up from 94 to £205 so I wanted to keep track. Miraculously on my first phone call I was told an engineer would come the following day. I said please advise him to come to the back door as I work from my kitchen and won’t hear the front door. What happened?! They came to front door, left a post card saying I wasn’t in!! On making the appointment they said if I cancelled within 24hrs or I wasn’t in I’d be charged £50! Don’t think so!!! 2nd call 45 min wait .. someone will ring you next week with an appointment.. no phones call 3rd attempt with virtual assistant.. you’ll get an email with an appointment.. no email 4th call 54 min wait ... I can’t even read my meter as there’s a fault with it.. BG woman says oh when we come on 4th June we’ll repair it.. 4th June I said? Since when have I been booked in for then I’ve had no notification?! Oh well you’re booked in for then ok? Well yes, I’ll make sure I stay in then she’ll I?? Ffs.. do I think they’ll turn up?? Noooooo I do not. Shocking customer service, awful company, and I’m tied on with them till 2024 🙈 Oh and the South African accent is sooooo hard to understand! Get your call centre in the bloody UK!!!
They do seem to be completely useless at the moment. I ended up with British Gas after my own supplier collapsed. They handled the switch-over OK, but now the supply of information has dried up. I cannot view my energy usage, I can't find out what I owe them (or what they owe me) via the BG app, and it seems to be impossible to log in to their web site. First it said my password was wrong (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't) then, when I tried to reset it, they sent me an expired reset link followed by no reset link at all; so I gave up and wrote them a complaint, which it'll take them a minimum of 7 days to even look at. Possibly I'll need to sit on the phone for a couple of hours, to find out they can't help me at all . . .
Worst energy company I’ve ever been with. Moved into a brand new build property and get go there was issues with the gas smart meter not communicating with there server. Apparently a 3 month wait for an engineer, what a joke. Then I asked to swap to pay as you go as I am a newly single parent and on benefits for the first time in my life so wanted to watch what I was using. I was told I couldn’t because I had to be a customer for 28 days 1st. So new customer you want to trust with having energy first rather than agreeing to let them pay first for what they use as they explained they didn’t want to get into debt with not knowing how much to budget for a bill. Now I have aired the 28 days and asked for my electric to be swapped to pay as you go. I was told I had to clear my bill first so I did of over £50. I was then told the swap is complete as it is a mode change on the system with me having a smart meter and that when the switch happens I will revive a bill for the energy I have used in that crossover gap. That was fine as it wouldn’t be a lot. Now a week later you have taken the full bill for electricity again over £50 and my gas bill again £15. This has now left me overdrawn unexpectedly meaning if I don’t get this money back I will have bills I cannot pay this month and putting me in debt. So you told me I had to obtain meter readings and you would only refund me the difference of what I haven’t used. So still your penalising a single parent on benefits for your mistake! You are putting me in debt for your mistakes! So I cart my sick 2 year old outside with me to the meter cupboards as I’m a single parent and can’t leave him in the house unaccompanied. So I open the gas cupboard fine and then try the electric cupboard and there is a metal cap blocking me from unlocking the cupboard. Absolutely disgrace of a company. STAY WELL CLEAR!!!! I’m still waiting for this to be resolved!
It's just so rubbish send you wrong bills live chat never works the app never works always says for months now we're dealing with the problem bills can't be shown even tho they send u emails to view them been asking for a smart metre since lock down and asked over 5xs about it and still nothing gets done can't email only live chat 8am-6pm which never loads can't easily upload metre readings takes about 40mins would appreciate British gas actually chasing up my smart metre and stop cancelling my billing because of estimated readings over charging me not a clue what my actual bill is!! Coz I can't god dam see it!!
Trying to be careful with gas and electric I've been using their App. Unfortunately the readings are not to be believed!. And how do I know this ?, the chances of me using the exact amount of gas and electricity to the penny week after week is about the same chance of winning the lottery without buying a ticket. Have I tried to complain ? Look at their site and figure out where I would begin. How a company of this size is permitted to function with I T that can't match a 3rd world capability should be punished by taking half their profits until they get it sorted.
Their app stopped recording usage from February to May & even gave incorrect readings and costs. The chat line, on both occasions started at Number 147 and 174 in the queue and took 1 1/2 hours to answer. Two emails to customer complaints at head office have been ignored. I was told , when asked for a transcript of my chat, that I just had ‘to click on the envelope on the top right’. On my app, there is no envelope! I have a Smart Meter but my bill shows a reading that is estimated. Why? This is a dreadful service!
We phoned them up and when we got through to them the person on the line was very rude and disrespectful to us.
Moved house, was on prepayment meters, had plenty credit left on. They have just sent me final bill and want £500 off me, that's not happening. Would not use BG again.
British Gas is rated 1.27 based on 1,743 reviews