Open Studio Reviews

94% of reviewers recommend Open Studio

About Open Studio: Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

support@openstudionetwork.com

3547 Olive St.

Live Chat, Email, Telephone
"The lessons in Elements of Jazz are very straight-forward and really gives you the foundation to build your jazz piano skills."
"I purchased an open studio pass primarily to take Geoffrey Keezer's "Keez to Jazz Piano" class, but I have found other valuable content on the website such as classes from other instructors and the "2 minute" classes on the Open Studio blog. Considering what I pay for weekly lessons, the Open Studio concept is a bargain. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 for two reasons. (1) It wasn't clear to me that the content in the class book doesn't contain the transcriptions of the video class instruction. And the book contains content not in the PDFs from the videos. So I learned that I needed to buy a book and download the PDFs from each class if I wanted to review both types of content. Also, Geoffrey Keezer's class (in my view) really isn't for "all levels." I've gone through about 8 of the lessons from his class and haven't found anything that I would consider "beginner content" from my perspective of being an intermediate level student. Having said that, I give Open Studio very high marks for the clarity of the content and instruction, for the quality of the videos, and for the wide variety of topics available. The course content which I've learned in the 2 weeks I've been taking lessons have really opened my eyes and solidified my understanding of concepts, while also showing how to play things that I could hear but could not figure out how to replicate."
"I am a guitar player and was hoping for some more advanced guitar videos. That being said, the piano section is awesome and I think can be related to different instruments. I think I got more out of that than the guitar portions so far. Would be great to see some guitarist like Lage Lund, Adam Rogers do a couple of videos on how they use different patterns in their lines, accents etc."
"I'm impressed by this site. Lots of great info. I just need the time work on the lessons. Something I don't have at the moment. Regards."
"Impressive content. Web site is a bit slow and not that functional, but the content trumps everything. Worth every single cent."
"Glad you sent me this. I sent Mr. Martin an email to his website. I have been searching for years to find A Beginner's Jazz Piano Course that would be just that. I have amassed a collection of "how to" books for jazz piano that all fall short. I am classically trained with a degree in music and have been searching for a course for jazz piano that would address someone like me. I play transcriptions (Bill Evans to be exact-he is my favorite, as well as others) but have always wanted to learn to play jazz piano for my own compositions and to maybe even learn to improvise - if there is such a thing. Now I know there is. I resonate with the Beginner Jazz Course by Peter Martin because it is well organized. Each chapter is progressive - one step at a time! I have been practicing and already I am starting to "get it" or, should I say "hear it." I plan on doing a video blog of my practicing from now, through the end of the book - then editing it so it can show my progress. Thank you so much - I feel like I finally found the course that will get me to begin to play jazz piano like I have always wanted to. Please be sure to show this to Mr. Martin."
"Very good,excelent!! In depth explained Courses, user-friendly player, customer support excelent!!"
"The book I purchased is interesting. Perhaps it would be even more if the explanations were a little wider."
"Despite only two weeks of using OpenStudio, I feel very confident in the quality of it’s lessons and the technology used to present them. Another accolade should go to the impressive presence of help whenever I’ve needed it. As an intermediate jazz piano player and a former music teacher, I feel that I have an adequate background to make a proper evaluation. I’ve looked at several online jazz piano teaching systems and this seems to me to be the most structured and comprehensive system. I think OpenStudio provides everything it can to allow me to achieve my playing objectives. Well done, OpenStudio!"
"Useful stuff from talented people. I am a gigging jazz/rock keyboard player, and am upping my game with this material."
"I have been a member for a long time and appreciate all the efforts you guys have made to keep improving the site. I recommend it to others often."
"I really love the website, the lessons, and all the extras that come with it."
"Great content , videos, sound quality and technology for learning."
"Great lessons!"
"I like the materials given by the instructors and also the views of the layouts."
"Great teaching, great learnin, great fun"
"Excellent. a utiliser avec transcribe! happy practice."
"Great instruction by highly skilled performers/teachers using excellent technology."
"just started the Beginners set-I have played claassical piano for 59 years (I'm 66) and have always loved jazz and find the easy introduction very appealing and intuitive. the format is great with easy to repeat, stop and start, etc and a very warm and engaging and encouraging manner in your style. Of course would give anything to play even halfway to what you do but I think I can get far enough to enjoy the sound coming out of my piano. of course listening to Tatum, Tyner, Oscar, Evvans, Flanagan etc makes me just gaze fondly to the top of Everest. Love to play scales and have a good ear so hopefully enough will sink in."
"Having taken piano lessons for years, this is an excellent course. That said, I am moving slowly by choice--new concepts and skills, and I'm trying to get it solid. I've already recommended the course to at least one friend."
Open Studio is rated 4.69 based on 267 reviews