Open Studio Reviews

2 - 3 Hours
Read Open Studio Reviews

About Open Studio:

Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

Open Studio 5 star review on 21st April 2022
Achille A
Open Studio 5 star review on 17th April 2022
Sylvain H
A great source for a continuing real education.
I love the intro to bossa nova course, excellent experience for me. the rhythm course as well, although i have only done a few lessons.
Really grateful for your hard work. I'm graduated as a classical pianist and was self taught in jazz, what a mess. Now I finally have a well structured guide that is full and deep. It became clear what to concentrate on and daily routine got more value. PS.: found you on YouTube with You'll hear it, got addicted, and here we are. Happy practicing
The lessons are fun and break learning this large topic into digestible chunks. Love the focus on learning by ear. Peter and Adam and fun and communicate well. Hope to be learning here for years.
Really, really good job! 100% will recommend! I will personally be happy, if you can make also some advanced harmony or advanced scale videos. But until now I am more than happy with you! Best regards
Terrible customer service. Any and all questions are directed to pay for classes. After paying for 4 classes and still not getting answers addressed, I would recommend staying away from this company. I found Artistworks much more effective teachers. And the customer service was by far above and beyond OpenStudioJazz
Hello, Thanks for taking the time to review. Apologies if you had unresolved issues. I'm happy to address any questions you had that went unanswered. I'm not finding an account under the email address in this review nor prior conversations. You can email me directly at dm@openstudiojazz.com. Best, Dan co-founder, Open Studio
I'm a bassist (electric) and decided to go down the jazz rabbit hole. Even though I'm currently a student at Berklee and mentored by Danny Morris, there were/are some gaps in my understanding of jazz. Bob DeBoo's courses were exactly what I needed to help fill in those gaps. His course on sounding like Paul Chambers is pretty spot on with what I was taught at Berklee. Adding to Bob DeBoo's instruction, having additional guidance and insight from Christian McBride and, the legendary, Ron Carter is immeasurable. Being able to access other courses for different instruments, and a ton of theory is invaluable in your growth as a musician. I would highly recommend Open Studio to anyone wanting to learn about jazz or music theory in general.
I am currently developing my jazz playing on piano. I am taking private lessons in the city where I live but enjoy supplementing with courses that offer practice concepts and insights into the music. I have experienced jazz education in a number of settings - academic & otherwise (an uncompleted university level music degree with a jazz studies focus, online studies, summer workshops) - and the teachers/performers in Open Studio are offering authentic, high-quality instruction. There also has been some obvious effort made to delineate levels of instruction so that participants can find the courses/sessions most beneficial to their needs and knowledge level. I like the positive spirit that emanates from the lessons and presentations, and also that many are directed at practical application, demonstrating very specific practice concepts. I am relatively new to Open Studio, so I have sampled only a handful of the course offerings thus far but look forward to enjoying further participation and exploration.
I really enjoy the videos and courses. Very well done. I’m a little disappointed that people don’t answer the questions left in the comment sections. I see numerous questions in the comments and rarely see answers to those comments . Does the site personally respond to questions ? Meaning that’s why I don’t see the answers.
Everything is Great but the video player pn mobile could be improved
Hi there, We love feedback like this. Can you give me examples of how the video player experience on mobile could be better? Best, Dan co-founder, Open Studio
I watched several of Adam Maness's YouTube videos at the recommendation of my piano teacher. I found them very interesting and easy to follow. Adam doesn't rush through explanations of technical terms as some of the other music instructional videos that I've reviewed do. I have been playing piano off and on for many years and can sight-read music well. However, my piano teacher has been encouraging me to learn music theory and work on improvisation skills. Open Studio Jazz has been the perfect fit for me in this regard. My piano teacher also signed up and we are working through the Jump Start Jazz Piano course together.
Reliable structure very good.
I’m not good navigating instagram so if I’m studying a scale and I want to go back to wherever I was, can’t get back there. Also the pentatonic scales by Peter Martin only has fingerings for right hand. Shouldn’t I be practicing with my left hand? If so which would the fingerings be? Thanks.
The trumpet course is great and I'm taking the piano course to further my theory. These people are good people 😀
Thank you so much for your help and honesty. I am happy to have available teaching online from Open Studios!! Very best, Barbara Solomon
Open studio is the only source for learning blues piano that I have found that steps you through the process. Other sites provide lots of information, but for those of us just starting out and trying to transition from classical piano (learned at a very young age) to blues and jazz (at a much much older age,) we need to start with a lot of the basics all over again. I have to laugh at some things though. Like the 30 day practice challenge, Day 1 is more like Week 1 for me. But it is all good, and once you start to get the hang of really hearing and the rhythm it gets a lot better! Happy playing everyone!
Its good and i like it because it is definitely one of the best platform.
Just bought a 1-year membership to Open Studio on Christmas Day as a little present to myself. It was a good call. Though I'm still getting acquainted with all there is to absorb, I'm very pleased with the level of professionalism and overall presentation of the content. I have specific goals and there is little doubt I'll be greatly assisted by the quantity and variety of quality material available with my membership. The effort and high production quality put forth by Open Studio is evident, and continues to improve over time as evidenced by older vs. newer content. In particular, both Adam and Peter are engaging, amusing, and effective in their presentation of even the most challenging of concepts and their application. Excellent work gentlemen. Selfishly, I'd like to see multiple deep-dive episodes into reharmonizing 'pop cover songs' into solo piano jazz pieces. Taking classic 60's-70's covers by the likes of James Taylor, the Beatles, etc., and turning them into dense jazz harmony renditions is what I aspire to do. I didn't grow up listening to the jazz standards typically performed by jazz musicians so I don't have the same appreciation for that material...but I LOVE jazz harmony. I've seen a few guys on YouTube do this with great success...now I 'must have it!' I'm adding a file to a reharmonization performance like this by young pianist Yohan Kim where he does exactly what I want to do. He covers the Beatles song Yesterday. It's gorgeous. Lastly, I've yet to come across any references to either the young phenom multi-instrumentalist Justin-Lee Schultz or the amazing Eldar Djangirov in your material or Podcasts. Both are quite noteworthy and I believe quite deserving of being highlighted in your Podcasts. In particular, Eldar's technique and deft touch appears flawless. I've added files of both of them below. Keep up the great work, the excellent content, and the engaging presentation of material. In time, with your help, I'll be reharmonizing my favorite tunes from my youth into jazz harmony versions with quality bebop solos over the changes - all with a big smile on my face.
Love it. Best jazz resource out there.
For musicians like me who live in a place where there aren't many jazz teachers, OpenStudio is a great help. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to learn, the material is practical and enjoyable. I recommend it!
Open Studio is rated 4.8 based on 1,477 reviews