Open Studio Reviews

2 - 3 Hours
Read Open Studio Reviews

About Open Studio:

Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

Open Studio 5 star review on 17th September 2019
Yasue
Open Studio 5 star review on 29th August 2019
Effie
Bought it on sale and glad I didn’t pay a lot more. I haven’t finished the course yet, but so far I’ve seen a bunch of videos that I watched for free previously on YouTube. Other videos either didn’t really teach much, they were Christian and Carl sitting around talking about themselves or other players, or just listening to old recordings. I kind of expected there to be more of a lesson like, “here’s how you do this”. I’m being picky, but you did ask my opinion. I hope by the time I finish the course I have changed my mind. We’ll see what the rest looks like.
Needs better interface
HI Jóhannes,
We would love to hear your feedback on improvements we can make to the interface. Please let us know at support@openstudionetwork.com.

Thanks,
Dan Martin
Co-Founder, Open Studio
I Recently purchased "elements of solo piano " w/Geoff Keezer the discount was great.
for me though, this package was not a good fit. Keezer is a fantastic play-no doubt about that, but I expected that he might go into a more spelled out break down of what he was doing in the transcription-didn't happen. Adam's vids were very good in content but a lot of it was stuff I've already done. Very excellent for beginners. To be honest, if I had reviewed all the content ahead of time, I wouldn't have purchased the course.
Hi Paul,

Sorry this course wasn't a great fit for you. We are happy to exchange it of give you a refund. Just shoot us an email at support@openstudionetwork.com

Best,
Dan
co-founder, Open Studio
Mr. McBride is a wonderful musician. But I wish he would play the PDF assignments. I enjoyed Bob DeBoo's lessons very much (I got more out of him). Also, I think the videos and the monthly lessons are too expensive. I cannot afford $129/videos and $50/monthly subscriptions. A lot of people are out of work.
Inspiring but a little bit superficial
Legends portuguese course of piano
If you buy a course only to find that the following day you could have bought the same course at almost half price, is it then not normal to feel a bit disappointed? A small “warning” to those signing up the day before the special offer would have been a decent approach. And my email about the matter was left unanswered. Quite disappointing. The course by itself is excellent. So one star and five stars = 3 :-(
High quality of the content but it is not presented in user friendly way for the average user.
Advices : simple links to jump quicly inside video parts
Maybe you hate the midi software to show the pressed keys but it would be really great to have
The plat
Steve Wilson is excellent

You’ll Hear It podcasts are a waste of time. Too much un-witty repartee, not enough content.

Would like site to make it easier to know what packages (blues, bebop) are about
I was hoping for a more fundamental course in jazz. I think he is teaching to professionalor at least someone who went to music school.
excellent work from Peter Martin bu i regret that Pdf are not downlable
Hello - All of the PDFs and transcriptions on Open Studio. Just let us know which one you are having trouble downloading and we can send it directly to you.

-The Open Studio team
The lessons are great, I have learned a lot in a short amount of time, and the price is good. Only complaints I have are on the website. The user interface and navigation is cumbersome and could use a overhaul. Having to scroll around and try to find where you left off, searching for the right supporting material, etc. can be frustrating. I would recommend a way to filter out courses you aren't interested in, or sort by what courses are currently active or last visited, with a way to keep track of progress. Podia is a good platform but there are other online training sites that handle progress tracking and lessons more thoughtfully.
The Greg Hutchinson course is too basic for advanced drummers. It’s really for beginners.
The vocabulary did not seem complete and was missing real application
Very unclear until you purchase how much of the music in the lessons is transcribed. For a person that can read charts and translate from only a lead sheet that's fine, but for a guy like me who needs songs transcribed it's not as functional as just buying sheet music elsewhere.
I'm
Thank you for expressing my opinion. In my humble opinion, there are too few examples of music in a ready pdf file. Maybe sample phrases or licks? Mike
I was hoping for something more jazz oriented. But this seems to focus on people who have never touched a piano. Names of keys, how to buy a keyboard, ect...
Hey Robert,

​We're sorry to see that you're not completely happy with the Jazz Piano Jumpstart. It may be too easy for you, as it's our novice piano course. We have several other piano courses available, perhaps Jazz Piano for Beginners or the Elements of Jazz Piano (intermediate) might be a better fit.

If you'd be interested in switching to a different course, we'd be happy to refund you, and send you some links to sample lessons of whichever course you'd like to try. Let us know! Thanks so much for your feedback.

Best,
Rachel Morgan
Operations Coordinator, Open Studio
Hi,
Unlike the another courses I am not very happy with the last course.
I am not pianist so I need a few explanations and perhaps some exercices to do. Also I would like english subtitles.
Yes, I know this course is cheap but no help me like the another courses did.
Best Regards
Antonio
Hello Antonio,
Thanks for your feedback. Since this pack is curated from Peter Martin's "Jazz Piano Method, which does not currently support English subtitles. We will take your suggestion into consideration though, since we definitely see the value in them.

- Open Studio Team
The course was amazing but the interface was confusing at times and frustrating to use
Hi Carl!

So sorry to hear that the interface was frustrating.

We're actually in the process of moving all our videos and courses over to www.openstudiojazz.com, and soon all our existing customers will have access to all their courses there.

Fundamentals of Jazz Bass is already complete, so we'll go ahead and move you over now. We'd love for you to check out the new site, kick the tires, and let us know how you like it. We think you'll agree that our new site is faster, easier to use, and much less of a frustration. You may even feel compelled to update your review :)

You'll receive an email to create a new password for our site, and you'll be all set. You won't have to log-in to openstudionetwork.com again. Let me know if you have any questions, and we look forward to hearing from you after you check out the new site. Thank you!

Happy Practicing,