Opendoor Reviews

of reviewers recommend Opendoor
Read Opendoor Reviews

About Opendoor:

In 2014, we set out to reinvent life’s most important transaction with home sellers and buyers in mind. Since then, we’ve helped thousands of people sell their homes and move in one simple, seamless transaction.

Life’s biggest milestones come with a move. Whether you’re getting married, starting a family, or taking a new job, moving is a natural step towards your dream. But it isn’t easy. Each step is more stressful than the last, and sometimes it seems like everyone but you is in control of your destiny.

Opendoor is here to change that. From selling your current home to choosing your next one, we’ve revolutionized the process to put you at the center of your move. Because we believe only one person should be in charge of how your future unfolds, and that’s you.

Tell us how Opendoor made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
We thought that Open Door was going to be a life savor. We were at our ropes end with our mortgage company. Then came along Open Door. They gave us a competitive offer on our house. But when the repair estimate came in, it did sting a little. We took it, thinking that all the repairs we going to be done. I have read with others that Open Door said that they would do took money for repairs and never did them. This was definitely the case in our house as well. They took money for a new roof, this was not done. They took money for new appliances, old appliances were left in the home. They took money for small repairs to be done to the house that we not done at all. I wish I could go back and get that money back from them, this is very dishonest and fraudulent. In the end Open Door takes advantage of people looking to get out of a bad situation.
Kelly, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your property address so we can further evaluate this situation.
Although they cleaned and painted the interior they kept from us that the HOA here was requiring that homes be painted by the end of the year and didn't inform us of that cost just 6 months down the road. The HOA mailed out letters in advance of us purchasing the home but naturally Opendoor is denying it and won't even be decent enough to work with us "basically said it's not their problem". Never purchase a home from them unless you have everything in writing and check your HOA for any future costs coming up they may be hiding. I would have had more respect for the company if they would have worked with us instead of giving excuses and brushing us off.
We're sorry to hear about your experience with Opendoor, and if we’ve fallen short of your expectation of us we'd like to look further into it. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com with your best contact information and property address.
If you buy a house that Opendoor is selling be prepared.

Shoddy repair work. Painted over doorbell, house was filthy, ac was fixed only after we threatened not to close on house. They refused to fix defective windows gave us a credit to fix one of 16 windows.
We always want our customers to have a great experience with Opendoor and we’re sorry if this hasn’t been the case for you. We'd like to learn more - please email us at community@opendoor.com. We rely on feedback like yours as we continue to improve the experience for both buyers and sellers.
Heard great things. Was even referred to them by my neighbor. The experience was less than impressive. After providing a detailed description of our property, inclusive of price and associated details re cash purchase upgrades, as well as providing the same for a custom built-in and backyard development, along with pictures of all, Open Door (OD) fell very short in customer centric delivery.

After thoroughly reviewing their website (and getting first hand experience from my next door neighbor who actually sold his home through OD), a cash offer would be presented without an OD direct interface (i.e. phone contact). That didn't happen. Apparently because I only tentatively agreed to speak with the "OD Advisor" several days after my expected cash offer, the phone rang. OD liason proceeded to try and sell me home improvement services, possible agent referrals, and so forth. No sooner had I got off the phone and told my wife I would cancel my tentative call with the "OD advisor" did I then get an email offer...Surprise!

Strangely, I received a low ball offer, which I declined immediately. Then within minutes and without prompting, I received a higher offer.

Recognizing my situation is somewhat unique, in two aspects:
A) I paid cash for my home
B) My neighbor's house is still on the market by OD

Re (A), I didn't need to take any offer as I am not transitioning to another home and therefore needing it as a down payment.

Re (B), they bought my friends home for 288.5K and immediately (8 days later post painting) listed it for 314K. After less than a month, OD dropped the price 4K. My point is, I am paying for OD's own sins. A lower than acceptable offer because they are still carrying the home next door.

As an FYI, the comps they presented were somewhat weak; the highest being the model that sold in January - OD did offer me a higher price however not by much. My home is lightly lived in and shows like a model.

If you're next to an OD home that is on the market, wait until it sells. Also as they have been in the market, they seem to be trying to PUSH other revenue generating services without following their original SOP, which made them attractive; NO HASSLE service provider.

If you're in need, I get it. If not, the traditional realtor sale might be worth considering again.

Hope this helps...
Hi, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We will definitely share this with the team so we can continue improving the Opendoor experience. If there's anything we can help with, please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can look into it.
We bought a home from Opendoor, the process was seamless at first then the time came for repairs. It took forever to get an answer on what they were and weren’t going to fix. One of the HVAC units was not working and recommended to replace by a professional, Opendoor decided to repair the unit, they had said that all repairs were done. We walked the property for the last time and none of the repairs had been done even after a document saying they had was presented. They were called and swore these things were fixed but during the second walk through the day of closing the repairs were done very unprofessionally. We ask for a escrow on HVAC unit to which they finally agreed. 1 month later we are still waiting on the payment.
We truly apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. We've been able to confirm that our team was able to connect with your agent to provide a resolution. Please do not hesitate to email community@opendoor.com with any additional feedback.
This business is not military friendly for one. The 8 to 9 percent commission takes about $20,000 or more out of your sale up front. It's way to high for what they say "assume the risk." Then the offer is below market value. So you lose $20,000 with the enormous high 8 to 9% commission then you lose another $10,000 to $15,000 on the offer of for your house its a true rip off. Good business model for making a profit. I would stay away from this place unless you are just desperate. Military member stay away not military friendly at all. I would give this business a negative review but the person that came out to look at the house was super nice. Also I would say watch the person looking at your roof and AC system. If not you'll end up paying for something. Not a good choice spend the time to show your house keeping additional $10,000 to $15,000 is worth doing that. You've been warned!!!
Hi there,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Our team actually has a lot of experience working with military families, we have found that the flexibility and certainty that the Opendoor process provides is a huge benefit.

We do understand and respect your feedback and welcome any additional insights you would like to share via email to community@opendoor.com.
Don’t sell your home to Opendoor. Their vendor damaged our home and they said they would reimburse us for damages and now they are sitting on the settlement agreement and won’t return calls and emails. This is a Shady company
Hi Sherri,

Please know that our team has been prioritizing your situation and we do apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Feel free to share any additional feedback by emailing community@opendoor.com.
OPENDOOR IS AMAZING!
My 91-year-old mother finally decided to move to California from Florida to be closer to us. Hooray!! When it came time to sell her house I knew it was going to be difficult to try and manage things from across the country. We knew that we didn't want a series of open houses, or having random people disturb her wanting to look at the place and making ridiculous offers or worse yet just "casing the joint," nor did we want to deal buyers who fall out of escrow at the last minute. There were some issues that necessitated her trying to make the move as quickly as possible. When parents sold their home a few years ago before my father passed it took well over a year and even though the sale was listed "as is" they still spent so much time and effort negotiating things that weren't necessary. This lead us to Opendoor.

I did my research and they seemed to be reputable and on the up-and-up. I read some really negative reviews but the theme seemed to be people who had a really inflated idea of how much their home was worth or that it wasn't in as good condition as they thought or that they didn't have a lot of equity in the home. So for us, Opendoor seemed like a good alternative.

We contacted Opendoor in late December and spoke to one of their reps who walked us through the whole process. One of the things he kept saying was that we could cancel the deal at any time, right up to the end. That gave me a bit of security knowing that if something were to happen we could back out. We filled out the rest of the online paper work (I should mention that we did all this while Mom was visiting California for the holidays) and a few days later got our offer. I was really hesitant to open it but was pleasantly surprised. It was in line with what I had expected. I know my mom wanted more but I don't think she was being realistic. It actuality it was probably a bit on the low side. Had we used a traditional real estate agent they probably would have listed it higher expecting to come down on the price. Plus if we ended up waiting a year or more the market (which isn't really that stable right now) could have tanked and we would have ended up losing money on the house--this happened to my parents twice in the past. With the fee that we paid to Opendoor, my mom made a small amount of money on the property and basically lived in that house for three years rent free. We accepted the offer and could have closed within a couple of weeks but wanted to give her a little more time to get things packed. We ended up changed the closing date a couple of times and it was no big deal. Even the final walk through we had to reschedule at the last minute and it was fine.

The one potential hold-up was the inspection. I thought for sure they'd come in with a check list and start making all kinds of deductions for even the littlest things. Now my mom's house is in really good shape. It was a flipped property when she bought it and she was the only one living there for the three years. So there wasn't really anything for them to find and anything minor they just over looked. So we passed the inspection with no deductions at all.

From the time that we first talked to Opendoor to the time we were on a plane headed to California (with the money in the bank) was two months. The whole time I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop; for something bad to happen. And nothing bad ever did. I still can't believe how incredibly easy it was.

The other thing that I think is important to mention is the amazing customer service. EVERY SINGLE PERSON we dealt with that was on our team--from initial intake, to the title and escrow services to the team that did the home inspection and the notary who came out to have her sign the papers--were friendly, professional, well-informed, and courteous. They were all so understanding of our situation and made sure we understood every step in the process and were there every step of the way. When I sold my house a few years ago, I loved my real estate agent, but I did feel that once we had a buyer that she disappeared. And that's when I really, really needed her to help me understand all of the paperwork and procedures, etc. That level and quality of service is not something you find all the time and certainly not what you'd expect from an "online service."

Opendoor was definitely the right choice for our family. If you have any concerns, talk to them. From what I understand, they don't take on every house that comes their way. And there's no obligation even up until the end. So talk to them and see what they can do for you. If you're like us, I think you'll find there a great choice.

So as I write this my mom is sitting in our living room, our two dogs snuggled around her looking forward to the next chapter in her life. And she's happy. And so are we. Thank you Opendoor for making this all possible.
(Tampa) - Posted 1 year ago
Thank you so much for taking some time to share your experience! Please know that we have shared your kind words with our team.

We are so happy that your family was able to benefit from the flexibility the Opendoor process provides.

Thank you for choosing Opendoor for such an important transaction. We wish you and your mother all the best in this new chapter.
Offer me less than I paid 15 years ago. After a 12% fee I would lose 50K using this service. They are looking for idiots so they can rob them. BEWARE!

Had several realtors that said it was worth 100K more than I paid so they were trying to make 150K. WOW
We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Please feel free to share any additional feedback with us at community@opendoor.com.
Sold my house by Realtor got a lot more for the house then what open door wanted to give me.Would not use them
Rob, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations and want to look into this. Please reach out at community@opendoor.com so we can investigate.
We were distressed to get an extremely low bid on our home but decided we could live with if if it netted us enough for a deposit on another house. Then we were slapped with a huge bill for repairs that would allow us to receive only $1,000.00 for the equity in our home. We withdrew from the contract. We had a realtor come in and assess the property. Right away $16,000.00 of the repairs were thrown out as bogus and the appraisal was over $40,000.00 more. We had tried to talk to the appraisers during the process, but they were not open. I sent E-mails listing amenities that were not considered, such as one extra bedroom and an extra bathroom. Looking at the bid they gave us for our property we determined it went by what was on Zillow 6 years ago and not the current condition of the home. All in all it was a frustrating experience and an insult to my intelligence.
Hi Linda,

We apologize for what sounds like a frustrating experience. Please know that your feedback has been circulated internally.

We rely on insights like yours help our team continue to optimize the experience for both sellers and buyers. If you have any additional insights you would like to share feel free to email community@opendoor.com.
Opendoor solicited us by mail- we were not planning on selling our home- but we decided to follow up and get an offer. The offer seemed fair, and the reviews made the company sound like one that made moving a less intimidating prospect, so we decided to accept the offer. We signed all of the paperwork, completed all the forms from the lawyers, and had the assessment done on our home. We had budgeted quite a bit for repairs because we knew of a few minor issues and some cosmetic changes they might ask for (like new carpets). With the amount we had budgeted, we didn't think anything could go wrong. I was very shocked when I received a call letting me know that they had overbid on our house by $71 K! They pulled out of the contract- not based on repairs- but based on their mistake when offering. Unfortunately for us, it took them ten days to realize their mistake, and we had already begun steps to purchase a new home. Just beware- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Liars, cheaters, dishonest. Signed contract with no disputes. Escrow and title paperwork completed. Then they send out blanket general email they are canceling offers. This was not an offer!!!It was signed accepted contract. Spend one week calling and emailing with zero response. Then after speaking they send cancel letter and decide they can cancel and escrow goes back to buyer. WTF? Why have contracts if you can cancel with no agreements. Here is the thing- Lennar and Opendoor are owned by same corporation. The escrow I put with Lennar will not allow me to cancel without lost of my deposit escrow. Opendoor is using world epidemic to hide behind. Said they do not want to put their agents at risk which I would understand. The hypocrisy comes into play is that they are still selling houses using same agents. Total liars!!! Notified BBB and Florida Attorney General for breaking contract and not forfeiting escrow.
We completely understand your frustration at this time. Please send us an email at community@opendoor.com with your property address so our team can ensure your situation is getting the appropriate attention. Thank you.
do not ever try to do business with this company. they operate their business with a tactic called "bait and switch." they initially make a fake offer that they're not willing to stand behind. then, when it's time for them to live up to the obligations they've made, they randomly cancel their offer. they will then call the customer back telling them they will get them in touch with another company that will pay as much as $100k less than their initial fake offer. this is a dishonest business practice that car dealerships got in trouble for operating a number of years ago. opendoor has adopted this unethical business practice as one of their core company principles. do not try to sell your house or buy one through this completely dishonest company.
I initially hoped to use Opendoor because a couple friends had begun the process of selling their home to Opendoor and it seemed to be pretty smooth. I received a letter in the mail from Opendoor outlining an offer range (not a formal offer at this time, but a good indicator of what I might expect) so I decided to call as well. I spent thirty minutes on the phone and was reassured that someone was working on my offer at this time. I received a communication the next day saying an offer couldn't be made at this time. All this would only amount to some slight irritation - with everything going on with Coronavirus and the uncertainty regarding where the housing market is going I can completely understand hesitancy when buying homes. However, the situation was a lot more serious for the other friends who were using Opendoor. Opendoor pulled out on them in the middle of last week and left them in a situation where they are closing on a new home but will now no longer have any money on the sale of their old home. They must begin the process of selling through a realtor all over and with current uncertainty it is highly unlikely they will sell in time to meet their closing date on their new home. Do business with Opendoor only if you like rolling the dice; they clearly have no problem bailing at the final hour.
We completely understand your frustration at this time and we're mindful of the effect it is having on the communities we serve, our employees and our mission as a business. We are taking these actions to prioritize the safety of our customers, employees, and partners. Please have your friend send us an email at community@opendoor.com with their property address so our team can ensure your situation is getting the appropriate attention. Thank you.
CONSUMERS BEWARE! THIS IS THE MOST DISHONEST UNETHICAL COMPANY AROUND! DO NOT CONTACT THIS ORGANIZATION FOR ANY REASON! THEY WILL ABOUT THEIR INTENT AND ABILITY TO PURCHASE YOUR HOUSE! I HAD A SIGNED AGREEMENT TO THEM TO PURCHASE OUR HOUSE, THEN THEY SEND A GENERIC FORM EMAIL SAYING THEY'VE DECIDED TO ABANDONED THEIR SIGNED AGREEMENT! THEY MADE THIS DECISION AFTER ASSESSING MY HOUSE AND THEN DECIDING TO MOVE FORWARD WITH THEIR OFFER! DISHONESTY DEFINES THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES AND THEIR UNETHICAL DECISIONS WILL END THEIR SHORT TIME AS A CROOKED COMPANY! ANYBODY THAT HAS A PENDING AGREEMENT WITH OPENDOOR SHOULD CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY! I FEEL BAD FOR THE EMPLOYEES OF THIS COMPANY WHO ARE SURE TO BE UNEMPLOYED SHORTLY BECAUSE OF THE WAY MANAGEMENT HAS DECIDED TO FLEECE THEIR CUSTOMERS!
DO NOT work with Opendoor. We are days away from closing with Opendoor and on our new build. Received a generic email at midnight they are canceling our contract citing it is the right thing to do due to Covid-19. We have been under contract since January and are devastated. No idea what to do.
They made me a single mother of five children believe they were going to buy my home. I had to move a whole house three bedroom two bathroom two car garage and a storage shed to storage so we can close on this contract. They canceled the day of closing.
We understand your frustration with our decision to not move forward with the purchase of your home during this unprecedented time. We want to further communicate that this decision was not an easy one or one made to negatively impact our customers intentionally.

Again we hope you understand that we're prioritizing the need to keep our employees, customers, and partners safe during this time. Once we have a better understanding about market conditions, we will reach out to you in the hopes that we can earn back your trust.
Same with us with pulling out of the deal. Generic email after everything going through including the assessment with no changes or repair requests after assessment But because it's still within 10 days after assessment even though nothing was found needing repair they pulled out and have a BS excuse about coronavirus. Sounds to me like they don't want to sit on inventory. When directly asked if the tables were turned and I was purchasing a home from open door and chose to back out due to a "virus" would they allow us to do that? He had no response. This is the most unethical and unprofessional company. They also don't let you keep the earnest money. They said if we wanted to we could readdress for a July close but they would take off 5% from offered and agreed upon amount
Unethical business practices. Simply walking away from a signed contract hiding behind a clause of being within 10 days of the assessment with confirmation of no repairs needed because they obviously don't have the capital on hand to fulfill a contract and cowardly hide behind a virus outbreak as an excuse.
DON'T TRUST THEM, VERY UNETHICAL AND OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CAPITAL OR ASSETS TO HONOR CONTRACTS.
Wow!!! I am really upset! Open door just canceled their offer to purchase our home 10 days after we signed a contract with them. Their reasoning was COVID-19. No other reason. Now we have to go back to the drawing board without any recourse!

Oh and how did they inform me of this decision? By generic email without any real documents or contract cancelation paperwork. I had to call to make sure what I was reading was true.

Thanks for nothing OpenDoor. Do not use this service as they can obviously jerk you around without any penalty!
Opendoor is rated 4.04 based on 695 reviews