Open Studio Reviews

2 - 3 Hours
Read Open Studio Reviews

About Open Studio:

Open Studio - Jazz Lesson from Jazz Legends
Be a better jazz player, guaranteed.

Open Studio provides jazz education from today's leaders in jazz in an easy to use and interactive viewing environment.

+1 314-329-7201

Open Studio 5 star review on 6th May 2021
Gustavo
Open Studio 5 star review on 6th May 2021
Chris N
The website is totally lacking essential features like search and filter for courses. Also fundamental is the history of the users where they can get can easily access new lessons from started courses. I’m enjoying some courses
Hi Mauro, Thanks for the feedback. We are working with our platform folks to make navigating through the site easier. FYI, we do have a search function for the Jazz Piano Method course if you use the beacon in the lower right corner of the screen while on the course. You can search for tune name, topic or keyword. Best, Dan @ Open Studio
Hi! I’m biased when it comes to Fred Hersch. He has become my favorite pianist over the last 20 years. I knew this course would be excellent and I was thrilled to “steal” it for so little. I recommend it to everyone who wants to meet and learn from the master himself.
Well done I m so happy to discovering open studio Thank you
I have been a composer for years but weak in soloing. Videos from Adam and Peter have really helped me make the connections between what theory I already know and improvising in the moment. And, I haven't even yet begun my course Elements of Jazz Piano.
Every course I've purchased is well laid out. The lessons learned are relevant, well connected and fun to learn. For piano, it's the best online experience you can have.
I'm an odd case. Tendonitis wrecked my hands long ago. However, I have a great ear and a good knowledge of theory. I'm able to listen to your podcasts and incorporate your lessons into my playing even though I have to minimize my time at the keyboard (i.e., NO practice except in emergencies). I wish I could put in the practice time that these lessons deserve, but it is still great to have this path forward in my music.
I had been plateaued for several years comping the same old, same old chords. The Magic Chords Bootcamp in just 5 days opened up a whole new world of possibility for my playing. The system based on altered pentatonic, diminished, and dominant 7th voicings offer new fresh sounding chords for my vocabulary. Bravo Open Studio! Damon C.
In my seven day free access I dived right into as many of the courses as I could and found Adam to be a brilliant tutor, in terms of his personality, clear presentation, with the crowning experience being the play-a-long examples and guided practice. I cannot fault anything that was covered. For myself, I would love to see a course that specifically covers 'How to solo" beyond use this or that scale or arpeggio over this or that chord. I can find no end of country, rock, pop, blues, and boogie 'riffs' and 'runs' online; but Jazz piano is another matter. Whilst I understand that Jazz is an improvised art form and take on board that only by listening do we gain a deep understanding of how the greats created their lines; is/are there "go to" fundamental runs, riffs, and/or ideas for the beginning/intermediate soloist to make a solo sound 'good'? Do the pros have certain fallback or foundational ideas in mind, or is all soloing purely intuitive? If you already have a course that covers this, please direct me to it. Otherwise, keep up the great work.
Hi David - We'd recommend Bebop Enclosures for Beginners (https://www.openstudiojazz.com/bebop-enclosures-for-beginners). It focuses on 2 fundamental structures (bebop enclosure and jazz arpeggio) found all over bebop – which, itself, is the a foundation for modern jazz improvisers. Happy practicing!
Peter Martin great player and educator. Geoffrey Keezer has amazing technical independence and wonderful to watch.
Open studio is the worst - they never stop hassling you, even I if you unsubscribe from their awful emails. They really could not be any worse, unless maybe they started killing people. Then they would be the absolute worst. Pricks.
Hi Stephen. Sorry you have felt hassled. I'm not seeing any other communication to/from you other than some offer emails sent to you. I do see you purchased some drum courses. Let us know what you think of those. -Open Studio team
loved the course and would like to continue but at $40 a month I just cannot afford it --pity!!!
Very great tool for learning
I am currently doing a busy job and planning to take an exam, so I do not have enough time to watch the video, but that is my priority on the To-Do list of my life: "Play jazz piano like Fred or my style." The course premium includes watch and listen to his performance at the Europe concert, so I purchased it by June 13th. I understood how seriously he is teaching. I am looking forward to watching the course soon.
Amazing contents and platforms. Well worth the money. Love every instructor. They are real pros.
I loved the Fred Hersch lessons
I
Would love to see a course on piano improvisation which is *not* in the tradition of American Jazz.
It’s very good